• Published 31st Mar 2012
  • 10,125 Views, 483 Comments

More Dreams - totallynotabrony



A human-turned-pony hangs out in Equestria and trolls

  • ...
41
 483
 10,125

Moon Base

“Valiant, where would you like to live?”

I looked up from my book, to Sunset Shimmer, who had asked the question.

I shrugged. “I guess I never really thought about it. I go where I want when the inspiration strikes.”

“Have you thought about our future?” she asked.

“I think about the future a lot. That’s basically all I do. I kind of have to when I’m trying to save the universe.”

“I mean after that,” she said. “Where do you want to settle down?”

What I would do after all the universe-saving was something I hadn’t considered. I was kind of sort of committed to this Equestria thing now. Defeating all the coming enemies, finding a way to remove the crystal meth in the water supply, restoring order so crazy shit didn’t keep happening…what happened afterwards if I managed to do all that?

Er,when I managed it. Self-confidence had always been one of my greatest strengths.

“That’s a good question,” I said in response to Sunset. “Where do you think I should go?”

“Well, maybe somewhere scenic,” she suggested. She smiled. “Somewhere private.”

I nodded. “Yes, I like those things.”

A wisp of an idea came to me. “I wonder what I could get from the Princesses as a reward for saving the universe. I would be in a position to demand something big.”

“They would be in debt to you,” agreed Sunset.

“A big damn debt,” I added. “Big enough that I could be set up with an awesome pad in a radical location forever.”

“Also built with defenses and fortifications to ensure that enemies would never be a problem again?” asked Sunset hopefully.

“Hell no. If I’ve done everything right, there won’t be any enemies of mine left.” I paused. “Although you can never count on new ones not showing up, especially if we’re talking on a ‘forever after’ timeframe. I might as well make it an honest-to-God base instead of a semipermanant vacation home. Thanks for the idea.”

Sunset smiled. I continued to ponder. Hmm, somewhere scenic and private that I could convince the Princesses to give me and would also be able to defend from all possible enemies.

Inspiration struck. “I’ve got it! I’ll tell the Princesses that I want…the moon!

Sunset’s mouth dropped open. “Can you do that?”

I shrugged. “That gives me bargaining room. I doubt they’ll give me the whole moon, but if I set the initial demand high, I can negotiate down. I’ll settle for just the dark side.”

Sunset looked like she wanted to ask if I was serious. However, Sunset was a smart mare who had hung around me long enough to know just how goddamned serious I was. Instead, she asked, “How can I help?”

“Help me start designing a moon base,” I said.

“We’ll need life support,” she noted. “Maybe I can rig up something magical and perpetual.”

“That would probably be easier and more energy efficient,” I commented.

“Thick walls, underground structures, heavy weapons?”

“Those are a given for a heavy fortification.”

“Maybe we can throw in towers and parapets?” she asked. “For a nice castle feel. It has to look good.”

“I like that idea.”

“Laser turrets?”

“Of course!”

We kept building ideas. Sunset kept track of them and noted what resources would be required. Things were taking shape and it was going to be the most awesome space castle fortress of solitude ever. Better yet, I had already started to plan what it would take to get it built. All I needed was the power of an alicorn. Getting one of them to do it shouldn’t be difficult – I’d extorted them all in the past.

“This is the greatest idea I’ve ever had,” I said, grinning gleefully at the blueprints we had just drawn up.

Sunset smiled. “I love it.”