• Published 31st Mar 2012
  • 10,104 Views, 483 Comments

More Dreams - totallynotabrony



A human-turned-pony hangs out in Equestria and trolls

  • ...
41
 483
 10,104

DEVGRU

"Where do new spells come from?" I asked Twilight. The two of us were in the library. I sat on the couch while she was over at the table.

She looked up from the book she was reading. "Well, a unicorn who has a cutie mark for spell development identifies a need and then works towards a solution."

"That's racist and narrow-minded."

She rolled her eyes and rephrased. "A pony who is good at spell development identifies a need and then works towards a solution. So I generalized, sue me."

"Maybe I will."

"Valiant, aside from being a frivolous lawsuit over a minor difference in turn of phrase that most of Equestria would disagree with you about, we both know that I am more than capable of successfully counter suing you using my superior knowledge of law and lawyer-hiring finances."

Stupid nerdy majority shareholder. "Fine, whatever. So is there some kind of spell development place where all the spell development ponies work?"

"Well, no. Two thirds of Equestria's population barely use any magic at all and most unicorns are satisfied with just telekinesis. The spell development industry basically boils down to just those ponies who both care and actually have the skills and ability to do that kind of work. As you might well imagine, that means there aren't many of us."

"So you're a spell developer?"

She gave me a flat look. "Don't you even know how many spells I've developed? Not to toot my own horn, but I'm probably one of the best of my era and that isn't even my day job."

"'Toot your own horn?' Unicorns really don't have a more specific expression than that? Does your horn even toot?"

"There's probably a spell for that," Twilight said, brushing off my attempt at insult. "But why are you asking about spell development in the first place?"

"I was just thinking about a way to make spell development better."

Twilight looked at me for a long moment and then came over, walking around some of my equipment before sitting down on the couch beside me. "Valiant, I know that you're very good at creating machines and upsetting the status quo."

She poked me. "But I'm warning you, don't meddle with things you don't understand."

"Like those times you screwed up a spell and put us all in mortal peril?"

Twilight grit her teeth and glared at me, but said, "Yes. Now imagine how bad it would be if you screwed up a spell."

"That's exactly why I'm thinking about a way to make spell development better. You wouldn't turn down an increase in safety and effectiveness, would you?"

She crossed her forelegs and looked at me, still distrustful. "How would you even do that?"

"By making sure all the accidents happened to bad people."

"That's not how magic works."

"How do you know?"

"I just got finished explaining to you that I'm one of the best spell devs of my generation! I even use the hip lingo 'spell dev' to show how comfortable and casual I am in the industry!"

I leaned back. "So I guess you didn't notice the rage collector I set up beside the couch that has been slowly drawing power from your increasing temper? It's a neat spell, the ghost of Starlight Glimmer taught me. I'm going to can it."

Twilight's head jerked up to the machine that was slowly pulling red wisps of rage out of the air around her head and gathering them to be canned.

"Why would you put it in a can?" she asked. "A jar is resealable."

"Nobody ever said they had a jar of whupass."

"And anyway, what are you doing hanging out with Starlight's ghost?"

"Well, what was I supposed to do with her? She seemed lonely."

"You...you didn't let her out, did you?"

"No, why would I let the ghost of a known Communist out? In fact, why is she even in a jar? You should have put her in a can."

"You put her in a jar."

"That doesn't mean you couldn't have canned her. I'm sure ghosts can as well as green beans or corn. It probably keeps them moist."

Twilight shook her head. "I don't think it's a good idea to hang out with Starlight."

"Well yeah, she's a Communist. But as a ghost, she's also so extremely malleable. Souls are kind of like that when they're naked. Sir Win taught me that. Though, I think in retrospect it was mostly about the naked for him."

"Malleable? You aren't going to try to reform her, are you?"

"I thought that was your deal."

"But you do want her to stop being a Communist, right?"

I nodded. "Yeah. And that also leads back into my thoughts about making spell development better. Starlight has the magic, and I have the motivation."

"Bringing Starlight's ghost into the mix only makes it worse!" Twilight protested. "If I was concerned before, I'm doubly so now that I know that's what you want to do!"

"I was going to make it all official and stuff," I said. "We'd have a cool name and everything. I was thinking about calling it the Magical Development Group, or DEVGRU for short."

"Wouldn't MADGRU be more appropriate for that? Or, wait..." Twilight cocked her head. "You're doing it again, right?"

"Doing what again?"

"In naming it DEVGRU, you're referencing some human thing that you think is cool, right?"

"No, that would be ridiculous."

Twilight sighed. "Whatever. So, MADGRU-"

"DEVGRU."

"I told you, if it's a magical group, MADGRU sounds better. Or even MAGEGRU."

"VAGEGRU."

"VAGEGRU? What would that even be develop-ugh!" Twilight shook her head and made a face. "Whatever. I still don't think this is a good idea."

"Or are you just afraid that it'll make me better at developing spells than you?"

Twilight laughed.

So did I.

I was better at laughing than her, too. Or at least I did it longer, to the point where it was no longer funny and she started to look uncomfortable.

Maybe there was a metaphor in there.