• Published 8th Feb 2014
  • 2,969 Views, 78 Comments

Do you want to be my player two? - thatoneguy82



Button Mash and Sweetie Belle discover the true power of love.

  • ...
12
 78
 2,969

Homecoming Part Three

Change is arriving to Ponyville. The first orange decayed leaves were making their descent to the ground and soon hundreds of Ponyville residents will participate in the running of the leaves, accelerating the speed of the fallen leaves. Later it would be organized contributions of unicorns, pegasus, and earth ponies that would bring winter to Ponyville. The cycle of work would be repeated for all the other seasons and it would continue on and on through several generations. Change is arriving to Ponyville, not only through environmental changes but also in the lives of the individual residents residing in the small comfortable rural town.

The orange leaves that completed their journey to the cold wet ground started to form a circular barrier around the brilliant gamboge pony creating an area of warmth from any outside threat but useless against the internal threat of the barrier; tears. Tears sliding down the coat of the Manehattan mare forming a wet cold foundation on the ground. Even with the slight amount of mud conjoined with her hooves, Bab’s lifts them to cover her face trying to stop the flow of cold sharp tears from forming more mud and covering her vulnerable state. Her body shivering from the steady rush of cold fierce gusts, guided by the trees, through the forest constantly directing their force to the weak mare. The cold mud that joined her hooves and now her face as well also contributed to the assault on her weakened state. Both would have only been a nuisance to her strong warm coat that has been able to withstand harsh winters in Manehattan but she was attacked and conquered internally through the medium of simple words, “I’m sorry Babs. I like somepony else and there’s nothing I can do to change those feelings.”
Those sharp cold words resonated in her head over and over again like an echo in a narrow cave making her body shiver even more and the tears to increase from streams into gigantic waterfalls. As the minutes passed by, Bab’s waterfall of tears slowly decrease as she swiped away the last remaining tears from her eyes and was able to regain a normal breathing pattern without any cacophonous noises being expelled through her nostrils.

Why Button…Why? Moving her head side to side clenching her eye lids from releasing anymore tears. I thought there was still a chance, but I’m just a fool. To think that you were going to wait four years for somepony to return the same feelings back…I don’t blame you. The only person to blame is me, for hurting you and myself as well.

Celestia was descending the sun from the sky as the paths of light were diminishing, its range and scope from the forest floor allowing the darkness to expand. I better start heading to Sweet Apple Acres. Hopefully by the time I get there I don’t look like this. Standing up from her circular leave barrier, stomping over them and slowly but steadily guiding herself on the lonely trail to the exit of the forest.
The trail and the forest were different. Earlier the trail was filled with life and excitement as the sun rays highlighted the beauty of the surrounding terrain especially for Bab’s as she was having quality time with an old friend catching up memories she wished to share with him and vice versa. Now in the genesis of the night and by herself, Bab’s couldn’t help but feel a sense of despair entering her body as the trees that were earlier their guardians of peace have now become her harsh prosecutors looking down upon her through their judgmental eyes as she walked at a rather slow pace with her head down trying her best to forget what occurred a couple of minutes ago.

“I don’t know Silver Spoon. I feel like it’s a bit too cruel even for my taste.”
As quick as a timber-wolf, Bab’s jumped to the nearest bush along the trail hiding herself from the familiar voice coming from the opposite side of the trail. Peeking from a small opening within the bush, she notices two young mares casually sitting near the edge of the trail on the base of the forest with a circular opening on the canopy allowing the last glimpse of light to enter their surroundings. One of the young mares was wearing a sharp silver tiara on her head highlighting her hybrid mane color. The other mare’s coat similar to the color of the tiara and instead of a shiny flamboyant accessory she wore aquamarine colored frames. It’s Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. Sitting down and turning her stare into a ferocious one, Bab’s patiently waited to see what the two malicious mares were doing in the forest.

“Diamond why would you care they’re just blank flanks. You’ve also done cruel things to her before like…”

Immediately interrupting her friend by stomping her magenta coated hoof the ground, “Yea I know! I’m not denying that Sweetie Belle and her friends deserve a little teasing and insults once and a while but the thing Femy did…it just goes too far.”

Who the buck is femy?

“Well I think it was a perfectly constructed plan. Just like the handsome stallion who made it.” Silver Spoon’s light purple pupils immediately turned to tiny hearts as she moved her gaze to the sky imagining an image of Femy infatuated with her, making Diamond Tiara place a hoof to her face as she let out a long needed sigh.

“I forgot I was talking to Femy’s number one fan girl. You have the biggest crush on him since the moment he stepped his hooves in Ponyville.”

“Well what can I say, I know hot when I see it and that adorable hunk…”

Immediately stomping the ground with hooves, Diamond Tiara sharply turned her face to Silver Spoon revealing to her a bright shade of redness as if her body reach boiling temperature. “I get it, you like him! But please for the love of Celestia can you stop thinking about him for one minute! I still find it a bit weird you describing your fantasies about my cousin and you in front of me.”

In complete secrecy, Babs remained completely still only enlarging her pupils and moving her head slightly backwards after hearing Diamond Tiara last few words. Somepony could be related to Diamond Tiara and be more evil than her that even she questions their actions? How in the wide world of Equestria is that even possible? Quietly adjusting her head to a more comfortable position and swiping her mane from her face, Bab’s continued her sudden espionage mission on Diamond Tiara and Silver being grateful that neither of them have discovered her.

“Fine…I can lower my levels of adoration for that beautiful stallion but even you must admit how successful his plan is going to be with just a few bits and a lot of time on his hands.”

“Nobody is questioning the success of his plan but the methods he used to achieve it. I mean he used Button’s old bullies to find out about his past…it doesn’t feel right. If somepony was going to fight me I wouldn’t want them to use my past secrets. They remain in the past.”

“I still feel you’re being too soft on them. I miss the younger tougher you.”

“Being soft? Well if that’s how you feel then you wouldn’t care if I told any other ponies about all your embarrassing accidents you had as a filly when you slept over, would you?”

Silver Spoon’s eye size increased covering the majority of her forehead rushing to Diamond Tiara grabbing her shaking her violently, “No! Please Don’t! I was just a filly…That’s old Silver Spoon. Please Diamond don’t!” Almost breaking into tears she begged Diamond to retake her threat immediately by a firm hoof on her shoulder.

“See what I mean. If you’re going to attack someone don’t use their past. That’s such a cheap shot and the oldest form of backstabbing.”

No words being able to escape her mouth, Silver Spoon accepted her defeat crossing her arms letting go a long loud sigh, “Fine! You’re right…as always.”

“Of course I am”, adjusting her tiara and brushing her shoulders with her hooves Diamond gloated within the last remaining sunlight in the forest.

“Still I don’t see why that pony from Manehattan is so important to Femy’s plan though? What’s her name again?”

“Babs Seeds”

Huh? I’m part of his plan? But how? Slightly leaning closer the small opening of the bush, Bab’s curiosity transformed from a small fire to a rampant wild fire inside of her.

“Now that pony had potential even for a blank flank,” Slowly shaking her head directing herself to Silver Spoon. “If only she would have become our friend. Under our guidance, she could have become somepony important and not a nameless nopony.”

“I know! She could have been an awesome third companion!”

“Yes she could have but instead she became one of those lame Cutie Mark Crusaders. She and Sweetie Belle are probably the only members that still don’t have their cutie marks.”

“Well not really, there’s Rumble, Button Mash…”

“I know they’re not the only two left! I was being sarcastic!” Placing her hoof to her forehead and letting out a sigh while shaking her head, “Silver Spoon, please just stop talking for a while.”

Slightly quivering and holding back her tears Silver Spoon responded with a defeated tone, “Sorry Diamond. Won’t happen again.”

Wow, I’m glad I don’t have to deal with her every day. I’ve heard enough from these two better get home before…As she was finishing her mental statement, Bab’s accidently tripped on one of the several internal branches of the bush somersaulting outside of the bush landing on her back a few feet away from a confused Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.

Both ponies started to trot in circles around her with a twisted smile on their face like vultures circling their carrion, “Well, Well, Well what do we have here Silver Spoon. A spy from the lame blank flank group.”

“Hope you weren’t trying to get your cutie mark in spying,” snickered Silver Spoon.

Slowly and firmly standing up on all her four legs with an expression of zero tolerance Bab’s look straight into Diamond Tiara’s eyes, “First, Applebloom or any of her friends didn’t send me to spy on you two. They’ve got better things to do than to worry about you two morons.” Quickly shifting her death stare to Silver Spoon, “Second, I wasn’t trying to get my darn cutie mark in spying!”

Silver Spoon leg’s started to tremble like a metronome making her kneel to the ground while Diamond Tiara remained firm and started to get closer to Bab’s, “Frankly I don’t care what you were doing in the bush. I know you heard our conversation about you and your little friends. Well I just wanted to let you know that’s all you going to hear. You’re not getting any more information from me,” Immediately looking down to Silver Spoon, “or from her.” Making Silver Spoon to quickly fall on the ground covering herself with her two front legs. “And there’s nothing you,” pushing Bab’s away from her, “can do about it.”

Bab’s looking dead center into Diamond’s eyes clenching her front hooves into the ground, invisible to Diamond’s vision. Wanting desperately to unleashed a punch that would send her flying to the moon instead, Bab’s let out a sigh. Violence wasn’t going to solve this issue. There must be another way. Bab’s unclenched her hooves, “You’re right.”

“Huh?” raising one eyebrow Diamond started to approach Bab’s. “No comeback? No fighting? I know I’m right but still…why?”

“Because there’s no point in convincing somepony who agrees with you. Look, even before you saw me you were telling Silver Spoon that whatever Femy did was plain wrong. Hay, you even showed her how his backstabbing tactics could be used against anypony with equal deadly results! We might not be friends but whatever he did even you see it as something terrible. I don’t know what he did but I’m involved in this whole nonsense and I need to fix it! Please just help me this one time…” Bab’s extended her hoof to Diamond Tiara as she stood there silently listening to Bab’s plead as well as looking over to Silver Spoon who was also perplexed.


“…I also love you a lot.”

“We used to be friends in elementary school.”

Button placing his head on top of mine. Both of us sharing our warmth…together. Words and past images bombarded the tearful Sweetie Belle as she sat down on the cold field outside of Ponyville High. The last remaining sunlight departed from the courtyard leaving Sweetie Belle under the domain of Luna’s lunar light. It was a couple days ago when we shared our first intimate moment. I thought it meant something special but today…An instant barrage of tears was unleashed running down Sweetie Belle’s pearly face making her quiver and shudder as the image of Button and Bab’s kissing in the forest return to her memory. I-I wasn’t planning to fall for anybody. I just-just wanted to get my cutie mark. Yet I fell for him. I thought he liked me.

“Come on what stallion in his right mind would dare to say no to a mare as beautiful as you.” Clearly, that was a lie!

“You probably never had to deal with rejection.” Thanks, now I know how heartbreak feels Button. I really hate you right now but at the same time I shouldn’t. Why should I hate you for liking somepony else?

Mentally exhausted from her internal conflict, she lay down on the grass covering herself with her two anterior legs reducing her tragic noise to a couple of sniffles and a few drops of tears. She was fine with laying there for a while to clear her mind before heading home until she felt a hoof being placed on her shoulder. “Sweetie Belle?”

No! No! Please Celestia don’t let it be him. Slowly turning her covered face towards the voice reveling her former tearful face to Button Mash. Celestia, why did it have to be Button! “Hey Button,” sniffled Sweetie Belle.

“Are you okay? Why are you crying?” questioned Button.

“Oh it’s nothing Button. You don’t have to worry about it.”

“It’s nothing? You were just crying...”

“Really it’s nothing. Just drop it Button,” interrupted Sweetie Belle with an irate tone in her voice.

Grabbing Sweetie Belle by her shoulders directing her eyes to his eyes Button responded, “Sweetie Belle, I trusted you with my issue and you listen to me. You were my support. Now it’s my turn to support you. Please tell me what’s wrong. You can trust me.”

Looking into his helpful amber eyes, Sweetie Belle’s eye started to enter a watery state. Trust you? What a joke! She wanted to run away from his grasp but his eyes had her under a spell making it impossible for her to leave. Sighing she responded, “Fine. I’ll tell you what happened.”
Letting go of her shoulders, Button moved a few places behind giving her some space to talk, “Go on.”

Not being able to tell him her secret while looking at him, Sweetie looked up into the celestial night sky with Luna’s moon surrounded in a sea of stars. “Remember when we talked about rejection and how I never experienced it?”

“Yeah.” Please tell me you didn’t ask somepony out. PLEASE!

“Well Today I know exactly how you felt.”

Those words felt like lighting striking his body making him shudder on the inside and remain stiff and quiet on the exterior, “Oh…” You like somepony else. “So who did you ask out?”

“I didn’t ask anypony out but I saw him with someone else. Something I didn’t want to see.”

“But who was it though?” Just my typical luck…

Now having to confront Button with the truth, Sweetie Belle clenched her hooves in the ground quickly shifting herself to be in front of him. “It was you!” exclaimed Sweetie Belle with tears streaming down her face.

His emotions inside of him toiling around like a twister, Button responded, “What! Me!”

“Yes, it was you! I started to have special feelings towards you the day you helped me against Femy. You were such an amazing friend at the moment and onwards, it made me fall for you. I thought you might like me back as well until today when I saw you kiss Babs. It’s completely fine though we can…”

“Woah! Woah! Hold on! This a misunderstanding.” Button quickly interrupted Sweetie as a swell of relief poured inside of him. She likes me! He wanted to laugh, jump, and yell to the heavens but it wasn’t the time or place for a mini celebration. “Let me explain, Bab’s kissed me. Yes we shared a kiss but I didn’t initiate it or wanted it. As a matter of fact, I like you too.”

“Huh?” Sweetie Belle responded placing her hoof on her chest. “You like me?”

“Yes! A thousands time yes!” Button trying to look into those emerald eyes but couldn’t without having blush. He shifted his eyes to the skies. “I also fell for you on the very exact day hearing you’re angelic voice fill the hallways. From that day on you have been by my side supporting me. Making me feel butterflies in my stomach every time I saw you. Making me…”

Button’s love speech was cut short as he lifted his head and notice her walking away ignoring him. Trotting right behind her, he tried to get her attention, “Sweetie Belle!”

Continuing her pace while looking back at him, “Button I want to believe you. Believe me I really do but my eyes can’t be deceived by your words. I saw that passionate kiss and your lack of response to show any resistance.”

“There’s no deception in my words. I’m telling you the truth!”

“No! Stop talking! Anything romantic happening between us died today. Please don’t also destroy our friendship as well.”

Sweetie Belle accelerated her pace leaving Button behind as he sat down looking downwards with his watery amber eyes. She started to approach the pathway to the school’s exit until she heard a maleficent voice that halted her in her tracks.

“My dear beautiful maiden who has caused you to be in such a distressed state?”

Both Sweetie Belle and Button Mash remember the person responsible for that voice, “Femy!”

The cream color unicorn was standing firmly near the exit approaching Sweetie Belle. “Get away from her!” commanded Button Mash.

“Oh Button Mash, always using your aggressive tone. I’m no detective but it appears that you are clearly responsible for Sweetie Belle to be in such a terrible mood. I’m only here to help her feel better and to protect her from the obvious threat: you!” Femy responded as he wrapped his hooves across Sweetie Belle.

“Femy, I’ve had a pretty rough day filled with emotions I never want to feel again. You’re the last person in Equestria I want to see right now.” Responded Sweetie Belle removing herself from Femy’s grasp, “So please be a gentlecolt and leave me alone!”

This isn’t how the plan was supposed to work. “Sweetie Belle darling I’m just trying to help you.” Femy attempted again to place his arms around her.

Feeling the uncomfortable warmth of Femy approaching, Sweetie Belle quickly turned around with her eyes shut yelling, “I SAID NO!!”

Once opening her eyes, Sweetie Belle expected to see a perplexed Femy instead she saw him knocked out laying on the ground with a gamboge clenched hoof extended in the area where he was standing. “Babs Seed?” questioned Sweetie Belle as both she and Button Mash looked upon the frustrated mare.

“That’s a special gift from both Diamond Tiara and I, Femy!” exclaimed Babs Seed as she unclenched her hooves. “Such an adrenalin rush…I love it!”

“I’m really confused,” responded Sweetie Belle with a perplexed look on her face.

“Same,” added Button Mash as he approached both mares.

“Button Mash, Sweetie Belle, Thank Celestia both of you are still here. I’ve got a lot of things to tell you both.”

“Go on,” replied Sweetie Belle.

“All of this information comes from Diamond Tiara who is related to this piece of filth,” said Babs Seed pointing at Femy.

“That would explain a lot. I’m just surprise Diamond Tiara told you all of this.”

“Me too. Anyways Femy over here really wanted to ruin the chance of both you starting any form of a romantic relationship so he tried to use me in order to accomplish his mission.”

“Wait how?” asked Button Mash. “He never met you at all.”

“ Well having a lot of time and money, Femy investigated your past going all the way back to the city of Manehattan learning every dirty secret about you including the event that ended our friendship.”

“That son of a…”

“No need to end that sentence Button. Knowing that information, he thought that bringing me back to Ponyville will revive old feelings from Button and that you will be a witness to it making you technically available only for him, clearly he was wrong.”

“That would explain the random payed train ticket that you received in the mail,” added Sweetie Belle.

“Exactly, and he planned for this to occur during Homecoming week.” Answered Babs Seed as she looked toward Sweetie Belle. “Most importantly about all this information is to tell you that I’m sorry. If I caused you any emotional pain during this whole debacle…”

Sweetie Belle interrupted Bab’s by giving her a hug and shushing her. “Bab’s you don’t need to apologize. If anything Femy owes all of us a giant apology, which I doubt he will ever give, for using our emotions against us.”

With a tear in her eyes, Bab’s responded, “I thought you’d be mad at me.”

“I’m not mad at you at all. How can I be mad at a friend who revived something that was once dead?”

Ending their hug, Bab’s looked at Button who immediately hugged her, “I know that I don’t share the same feelings with you but I’m hoping we can still be friends,” asked Button Mash.

“Of course,” replied Babs Seed. “I got my old friend back and I couldn’t ask for anything better.” “Now If you’ll excuse me I have to head back to Sweet Apple Acres but since it’s Homecoming week I believe Button over here has an important question to ask you Sweetie Belle. Am I right Button?”

Showing no fear in his voice and looking straight at Sweetie Belle he responded, “Yes I do.”

Babs headed toward the exit as both Button Mash and Sweetie Belle said their goodbyes to her. Sweetie Belle now looking at Button Mash with a sly grin, “So Mr. Mash what is the important thing you’re going to ask me?”

Taking a deep breath and letting out a big sigh, Button grabbed Sweetie Belle’s hoof and making sure his amber eyes connected with those bright emerald eyes making both of them blush he asked, “Sweetie Belle, would you like to be my date for the Homecoming dance?”

Not hesitating a second Sweetie Belle responded, “Yes! A thousand times yes! I would love to be your date, Button.” With nothing holding him back Button was finally able to do his mini celebration by jumping in the air and cheering like a little colt during Hearts Warming Eve leaving Sweetie Belle giggling. He is such a goofball.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the extended delay:fluttershysad: Thank you for patiently waiting for the new chapter, hope you like it and as always any positive criticism will be appreciated!:twilightsmile:

Comments ( 6 )

Yay! Is this finished yet or are there still a few chapters left?

6781322 Glad you like the story! There is one more chapter to complete the homecoming arc but I'm releasing a couple of chapters after the Homecoming story arc before finishing this story.

6783264 Nice! Thanks for the reply!

Great chapter can't wait for the next one

6819643 Thank you! :twilightsmile: I'll try to post the next chapter before February.

Uh hello? Upload soon?

Login or register to comment