• Published 26th Jan 2014
  • 1,342 Views, 13 Comments

Fixer Upper: A Derpy and Doctor fanfic - graceyadorable



Derpy is the clumsiest pony in all of Ponyville! But when a mysterious stallion from her mother's past comes into town, Derpy could finally feel she is worth something!

  • ...
4
 13
 1,342

You okay?

Derpy stirred, and a torrent of whispers met her ears.

“She’s not dead!”

“What’s she doing here?”

“Some entrance, right? She’d do anything for attention!”

Then, a new voice, pleasantly between high and very deep, spoke up above the rest. “Quiet! Is all you can think about this poor pony’s faults when she just crashed through the roof, obviously blown in by the storm?” There was a faint buzzing, more mechanical than bees, and a blue light shone on Derpy’s closed eyes. “Come on,” the voice coaxed, quiet enough so that only she could hear it. Some pony was lightly stroking her forelock with his muzzle. “Come on, beautiful, let’s see those eyes.”

“No!” Derpy whispered, fierce although it was faint.

“Spirited, huh?” The new pony chuckled softly. “That’s what I like to see. Now come on, show me your pretty eyes.”

Her golden, wandering eyes had never been described as pretty, and she was hesitant to obey, but there was something, just something, about that voice that made her choose to trust the speaker. Timidly, she blinked and lifted her head.

“There we go!” The pony grinned. He was almost ridiculously handsome, with a light brown coat, like pale brown sugar, and that sugar-pelt was shining and glossy beneath the bright, multicolored lights. His mane was scruffy and the rich dark brown of chocolate. His forelock fell onto his forehead with careless and casual elegance, and his matching tail hung to his hocks. His eyes sparkled at her like cobalt blue gemstones, sweet and gentle like a midnight breeze. He leaned down and kindly helped her rise to her shaky feet.

“D-did I hurt anybody?” Derpy asked, her ears drooping and her head lowering.

“No, but you certainly ruined the party!” Rainbow Dash snapped. “The Wonderbolts and I were about to make our grand entrance!”

“That’s enough!” The new pony said sharply, his ears flattening in anger. “Do you even care that she could have been seriously hurt? Is all you can think about your spoiled entrance when she might have died?”

Rainbow Dash dropped her head and stared sulkily at the ground.

“Now then,” said the colt, turning on Derpy.

Uh oh! Now I’m really gonna catch it! Derpy thought, shrinking backward, her stomach churning like Pinkie Pie’s blender were whirling away on full blast. After all, what else could he do but shout at her? She immediately recognized him as the colt in whose honor the part was for, and she had just wrecked it by coming in through the roof when she wasn’t even in the register! She had broken the castle, and she could even see Princess Celestia staring at her in shock. She hung her head, her cheeks red with shame.

He leaned close to her and whispered, “Would you like to come back to my place after this kerfuffle is over?”

Derpy stared at him in shock and a bit of revulsion, but he said, “No, no, it’s nothing like that. You just look like you could use some fixing up.”

Derpy followed his gaze to the scratches and little cuts all over her body and wings, then nodded shyly.

“Fantastic!” He said, then turned and raised his head to look at Princess Celestia. “I’m very sorry about all this, Majesty,” he said.

She blinked, then smiled. “It’s all right, Doctor. Is our young friend okay?”

This ‘Doctor’ looked at Derpy, who nodded again. Swishing her tail in embarrassment, she said, “I gotta go...I’m not allowed in here.”

“Why?” The Doctor pony asked.

“Some pony made a mistake and I’m not in the register,” she mumbled, backing away further.

“That’s ridiculous!” The Doctor exclaimed. Stepping close to her, he said, “You can stay here as my guest.”

Derpy’s eyes began to shine and she positively glowed with happiness. “R-really?”

The Doctor winked at her. “Sure.”

After the party had left, Derpy stood quietly in the corner while the Doctor chatted pleasantly with Princess Celestia, thanking her for the party and wishing her well. Derpy smiled as the handsome colt walked over to her, then took off his coat and draped it around her shoulders. “Don’t want a pretty filly like you getting a cold, do we?”

Derpy blushed brightly, her cheeks turning rosebud pink, and she didn’t say anything. Derpy, although no pony would believe it, was actually very skilled at reading body language, and there was nothing about the Doctor that suggested that he was being anything but kind. Sure, his doting was a wee bit flirtatious, but he didn’t do it because he wanted her, or anything like that. He was just a genuinely kind soul who knew just how to help.

He kept close to her side as the two walked through the snow, walked because, unlike Derpy, the Doctor did not have wings.

“So,” Derpy said shyly, the crunching of snow filling the night as she walked next to him, “Do you have a name besides Doctor?”

He glanced at her out of the corner of his shimmering cobalt eye. “It’s just Doctor.”

Derpy nodded. She understood perfectly. He probably had an awkward name like Shiny Sand, judging from his hourglass Cutie Mark. Well, she had no right to judge; after all, her name was Derpy.

“I’m Derpy, by the way.” Oh, please, don’t laugh at my name!

“Derpy?” The Doctor asked, a smile spreading over his face. His eyes twinkled with barely suppressed laughter.

She stared at the ground, her face hot and her stomach squirming with embarrassment.

The Doctor finally had to laugh, and he nudged her shoulder playfully. “That’s the cutest name I’ve ever heard!”

Derpy’s head jerked up and she actually stopped walking, just staring at him in shock. “Really?” She squeaked.

He grinned at her. “Really.” Lifting his head higher, he looked around and said, “Come on. It’s not far from here.”

“So you’ve saved Ponyville before?” Derpy asked, loving the warmth of his coat around her shoulders.

“Yeah,” the Doctor said offhandedly, and from his tone he wasn’t bragging.

“Do….do you remember a black Pegasus mare with a gold mane and tail?” Derpy whispered shyly, feeling a tremor of excitement and nervousness rushing up through her like a waterfall breaking free from winter’s ice. “She had ballet shoes as her Cutie Mark?”

The Doctor lifted his head to the sky and closed his eyes as he walked, the soft white snow dusting his mane and face like little flakes of sugar. “Yes, I remember her. Mist Chaser, correct?”

Derpy squealed and the Doctor jumped, startled. “What’d you do that for?”

“That was my mother! She was pregnant with me when you saved her and then that means that it’s because of you that I’m alive and thank you!” Her words came out in a tumble as she tackled him in a hug.

They crashed into the snow and sent up a plumy spray, like that of waves breaking over rocks. Derpy realized what she had done, then jumped up with a frantic apology. “I’m sorry! So so so sorry! I didn’t mean to do that, I just didn’t think and--”

The Doctor slowly got to his feet and Derpy was terrified that she had hurt him. But then he grinned at her. “You’re welcome. My place is just ahead.”

He led Derpy onward through the falling snow to where the silhouette of a tall, curious blue box awaited them.

Derpy looked at the box on all sides, then frowned. “This is a pretty little house, Mr. Doctor,” she said matter-of-factly, trotting around it twice.

The Doctor’s voice had a smile in it as he said, “You’ll be surprised.”

Derpy looked the strange blue box up and down, up and down, then, swishing her long golden tail to flick away the snowflakes, she trotted after him and went inside.

Comments ( 10 )

Is there going to be more? :rainbowhuh: There should be more. :derpytongue2:

3881660 I am waiting to see if a friend of mine can write it. She wanted to write a chapter so i am waiting to see if ahe does have time too. If she gets too busy, I will just write it. I hope this helps! :scootangel:

3897599 AND YOU ARE GONNA LIKE THIS NEXT CHAPTER! :flutterrage::scootangel:

Derpy :derpytongue2::heart:

:rainbowkiss: so awesome!!! :twilightsmile: I love it!! I can't wait until the next chapter!!

This is pretty good. I'll be looking forward to more.

Please Please Write more! This is amazing!

Login or register to comment