• Published 8th Dec 2013
  • 23,525 Views, 314 Comments

What Have You Done? - cloudedguardian



Words and actions can sometimes hurt more than we know, sowing betrayal and hatred where friendship and innocence lies. A single thoughtless action can be a tipping point, one fallen domino setting off hundreds. Look back, and answer me.

  • ...
36
 314
 23,525

Daughter of Night

If Celestia knew how brain-numbingly, mind-twistingly boring it was to be frozen as a statue, she might have reconsidered her use of it as a “humane” way to deal with her rivals. Then again, maybe not, as Discord was pretty sure she wasn’t dumb enough to think that it was harmless. What do you expect to happen when the very embodiment of chaos is dipped in the weaponized essence of harmony anyway? Sweet dreams of fluffy bunnies and happily-ever-afters? Please. That was about as likely to happen as Tia's goody-four-shoes student throwing off her crown and declaring herself a villain!

The stone around him cracked. Discord’s attention was very suddenly drawn to the amount of magic that was being poured into his prison. A strong stone reversal spell, mixed with trace amounts of corrupted harmony magic… It was undeniably what he was feeling as it tore through the prison he was bound to. A sense of glee washed through him as he started to help it along, pushing against the stone, and allowing a peal of laughter to escape him as fresh air started to reach him once more. With one last burst of energy from the both of them, he burst with a whoop out of his confinements, and into the bright blue, oddly magically encased sky above. That could be addressed later, as could the cloaked figures floating above the bubble they appeared to be in. Right now, the only question he had, was who had deigned to save him.

“Well, speak of the devil.”

Twilight Sparkle, Celestia’s precious little student, stood before him. As she raised her head to raise a questioning eyebrow at the draconequues’ quite mutterings, Discord’s curiosity grew as he noticed how her fur was matted and her eyes dark and almost empty. The two stared at each other for a minute, he with a look of bemused fascination and surprise, while she seemed to stare at him like an interesting modern art sculpture that she was trying to wrap her head around. Not a word passed between them, before Twilight suddenly broke their little staring match to turn and walk away.

Discord blinked. This day was making less and less sense. The Element of Magic coming to save him? Canterlot under a class ten shield while some unknown enemy tried to find a way in? Were those wedding bells he heard being prepared? Yep, today made no sense what-so-ever.

It was marvelous.

“You know that isn’t very polite, Twilight Sparkle. Appearing out of nowhere and waking me up without so much as a good morning? Really. I thought your manners were better than that!”

Discord’s grin grew a little as the unicorn mare stopped at his words. He had always found the ponies that Celestia took to be her students to be quite worthy of his interest, and Twilight was no different in that regard. She had, however, been the first one he had chance to meet face-to-face, and perhaps that was the reason why she had become the most fascinating of them all. And now in this topsy-turvy upside down nonsensical day, she was proving herself every bit worth that fascination.

It had taken a little over a minute, but Twilight finally decided to respond to Discord’s jest. His smile slipped a little to be replaced with a hint more confusion as she turned slowly, as if it was too heavy to move, to look over her shoulder at him. Was that pain in her eyes?

“Good morning, Discord.”

She spoke them with such quiet serenity that she sounded nearly hollow. Or perhaps, Discord wondered, she’s so hollow that everything falls to silence. The thought was absolutely ridiculous. What could the unicorn mare that had it all have to grieve? Then again, what wasn’t ridiculous about today? Besides, as upside-down as today was, even he found it hard to believe that she who was practically the perfect ponification of logic would just randomly get it into her head to free the draconequues that had tried his best to drive her to despair. No, there was a reason to all this, and he realized with near epiphany like suddenness, that he had to know what it was.

“Hmm, perhaps morning is a bit of a stretch-” Discord said, giving a long stretch himself, as if to punctuate his statement. He yawned magnificently, before scratching his chin with faux absent-mindedness as his eyes followed the once again retreating figure of his rescuer. “And perhaps it being good is as well.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow again as Discord settled in to glide beside her as she walked. “Do you need something?”

Discord tried to match her look of curious indifference. “Oh, just pondering what could possibly possess the lovely Miss Sparkle to make her free the Dreaded Draconequues of Chaos.”

“I realized it wasn’t right for you to be locked up like that.”

“Oh I see, I see, it wasn’t ri-” Discord stopped mid-nod to double-take at what Celestia’s student had just said, “Wait, what?

“You and Celestia were friends once, right?” Twilight asked softly, as she continued to walk on, without even pausing or turning to look at his dumbfounded expression.

“Well, yes, but that was a very long time ago- We were barely your age! Why-”

“It’s lonely, isn’t it?”

Discord’s look of confusion only grew as he stared at the back of the lilac mare that had just interrupted him with the oddest question he had ever been asked. Twilight had stopped walking now, and was just standing a few feet from the exit of the Canterlot Statue Gardens with her back to him and her shoulders shaking almost imperceptibly.

“What?” He seemed to be using that word a lot today.

“In the statue like that. It’s lonely, right? Lonely, and cold? Without anyone being there to hear you, or for you to speak to? Just you and your own blasted dark thoughts about what went wrong, or what happened… Or why the one person you trusted the most, who you always thought would be there for you, wasn’t?” Twilight’s voice was nearly cracking now, “O-or about how the ponies you thought would always understand you,

“Turned out to never have understood you at all.”

They had said that last line together. Twilight jerked around so fast to look behind herself that she had nearly tripped over her own hooves. Her eyes quickly met the oddly still figure of Discord, who was looking at her with a new look of understanding.

“Yes, that’s quite it exactly, Miss Sparkle…” He said softly, a bitter smile passing across his features. With an almost dark chuckle he flew forward to glide beside her once again, and she gave him a bitter smile of her own as he sighed. “That’s quite it exactly.”

The two walked together in silence. The gardens passed out of view as a different path was stepped onto, this one winding down and around the back of the castle. It was surprisingly empty of other ponies, who, on a normal Sunday, would be swarming these back paths to enjoy the serenity of the palace gardens. It wasn’t as if Discord minded the lack of an audience at this moment, but rather that he was curious as to where they had all gone. A different question was burning in his mind, right now, however.

“So what happened between you and your friends?”

Twilight looked up at him with a glare so spectacularly dark that he nearly burst out laughing.

“Oh come now, Twilight, it’s quite obvious that something happened- You can’t blame this old coot for simply dying to know what it was, can you?”

Twilight looked away, her eyes dimmed. “…It doesn’t matter. At least, not anymore.”

Discord hummed, noting her reaction. He had a pretty good idea of what occurred anyway. After all, it was only natural for ponies to underestimate quite how well a simple “statue” could hear.

“What happened between you and Celestia?”

He probably should have seen that question coming. But then again, perhaps… Discord looked down, meeting Twilight’s mildly curious and already so-understanding gaze. Yes, she already had a pretty good idea as well, now didn’t she?

“It doesn’t matter anymore, now does it?” He asked softly, and she nodded with the quiet and bitter smile that hung between them.

“No, it doesn’t.”


Yes, Discord had lost Celestia. All his games, all his tricks and trials she and Luna had outwitted. In the end, it hadn’t mattered that the three had been friends for decades past, when she had become Princess, and he Chaos, it had all ceased to matter. In that moment of battle for Equestria, they were enemies, and perhaps had been for a long time before. It was then that things had changed, it was then that the Elements of Harmony had aligned with the alicorns, and it was then that everything he had ever wanted had been pulled eternally out of his reach. Yes, Discord had lost Celestia… But her student, her precious, beloved student? Celestia had made her first mistake in the chess game they’d been playing for nearly a millennia now- She had turned her eyes from her queen, who was now wandering lost and broken. Her lovely little queen, who had wandered straight to him.

Yes, Discord had lost Celestia, but her student? Her student, or rather, her little Twilight- Yes, she’d be all his... Now wouldn't she?