• Published 8th Dec 2013
  • 23,495 Views, 314 Comments

What Have You Done? - cloudedguardian



Words and actions can sometimes hurt more than we know, sowing betrayal and hatred where friendship and innocence lies. A single thoughtless action can be a tipping point, one fallen domino setting off hundreds. Look back, and answer me.

  • ...
36
 314
 23,495

Daughter of Sun

Everything had been just perfect. Despite all the little hitches, all the problems and difficulties that had tried to stand in their way, Celestia had managed to give her beloved niece a perfect wedding. The threat against Canterlot had been defied, and now a beautiful reception was in full swing. Cadence and Shining Armour sat together at the head table, enjoying their wedding cake together with a loving smile.

Yes, despite all the stress, all the difficulties and trials, things had gone absolutely perfect. Well, almost perfect.

Celestia’s eyes darkened as they settled on the empty chair to the left of Shining; the seat reserved for the best mare. Twilight had never showed up. Somehow, even though expected, her absence left a sour taste in Celestia’s mouth, like a bad omen on a dark night.

The Princess closed her eyes and let out a deep sigh, clearing such thoughts from her mind. Yes, Twilight hadn’t come, but after the argument her and Shining had had, perhaps it wasn’t that surprising. He had implied that she was no longer welcome, after all, and Celestia knew that her student could be sensitive enough to take such heat-of-the-moment things a little too seriously. Why, Twilight was probably in the back of the library right now, flipping through some random black-bound magic book and plotting everyone’s demise, just as she always did when she was mad. The thought made the Princess chuckle softly to herself. Oh, Twilight was probably indignant, and absolutely furious; Not that Celestia could entirely blame her.

She had found out from Shining about an hour after the rehearsal that he had failed to mention the upcoming wedding to his sister- Meaning that the pony Twilight had found out from hadn’t been him, or even her old friend and foal-sitter Cadence, but Celestia herself. Twilight had every right to feel angry about that, she should have been one of the first people told of the happy news. Instead, she had only found out a few days before hand, and not even from the couple themselves. Of course Twilight would be indignant. It was only natural, especially when one considered how close she had been with her brother when they were younger… But that didn’t mean she had the right to bully Cadence just because she was upset and stressed.

Heck, they were all stressed. Shining had been forced to split his time between the demands of his job, and the needs of his bride. Cadence was so worried and stressed about her wedding that the poor mare was visibly cracking under the strain- And really, Celestia wasn’t doing much better. The Solar Princess had been so busy trying to fix everything for her dear niece, as well as help her guards with protecting Canterlot, that Luna had actually resorted to outright forcing her to get some sleep last night. It had gotten to the point where her younger sister had simply given up trying to reason with her, and had just cast a strong sleeping spell on her instead. Celestia had been so exhausted that she hadn’t even managed to put up any resistance to Luna’s magic, instead collapsing into a desperately-needed sleep for nearly an entire day. That was why Celestia had been so utterly relieved to have Twilight and her friends coming to assist with the wedding- She had been absolutely positive that it was a task she could entrust her dearest student with, leaving her with some more time to assist her little ponies with other things. She had been wrong.

Celestia sighed again, and although her eyes were following Shining Armour and Cadence as they took their positions on the dance floor, her mind was still several hours in the past. Twilight’s choice of actions still surprised her. Yes, Twilight had always been a bit dramatic and paranoid, but she had been getting better, more reasonable. Then, just like a terrible blast from the past, at the worst possible time, over-emotional clingy teenage Twilight showed up in full tantrum. They were all very stressed, over-tired, and cranky. Celestia knew that, and therefore had restrained herself from blowing up at her student. Perhaps putting her in time out had been a bit, well, childish, but if Twilight was going to act the part…

A third sigh escaped Celestia’s lips as she watched the newlywed couple part, and the groom walk over to hug his parents. His mother’s smile faded as they spoke, a look of concern replacing it. Celestia raised an eyebrow as she turned her ears towards the group, wondering what it was that Shining was trying to brush off as Velvet’s look of concern deepened into anxiety and what looked like a tinge of anger.

“I’m going to go look for her,” Velvet said softly, her brow furrowed as her eyes looked past Celestia and towards the Royal Library.

Probably talking about Twilight then. Yes, that’s where she would still be… Most likely half-way through that old book of Luna’s by now. Celestia could see it if she closed her eyes; A furious Twilight tucked away in the corner of the library, old horror books stacked all around her like a fortress, a book of nightmares under one hoof, and a quill and notebook under the other as she plotted how to use the new dream spell she had just researched to wreak revenge.

“Have I missed anything?”

Celestia looked up with a smile as at the sound of her sister’s soft voice. Having Luna nearby seemed to ease her nerves even more, and she draped a wing over the darker alicorn as the two settled down to watch the wedding party take the floor.

“Only the first dance.”

It was a shame that Twilight was missing all this, Celestia decided. Although she was absolutely terrible at it, her student positively adored dancing. Perhaps once the wedding began to wrap up, Celestia could sneak over to the library, and speak to Twilight. The two of them could go have a cup of tea alone in the gardens, and talk this whole mess of nonsense out. She probably just needed somepony to hear her out after all, so she could vent out all her frustrations and anxieties, and get them off her chest. Celestia knew that feeling quite well- It was why she was so truly glad to have Luna back. Having a kindred soul by your side is surely the greatest thing in this world.

The sound of anxious hoof-steps on marble drew a sliver of Celestia’s attention as Velvet pushed her way back into the reception. The grey mare made a beeline for her husband, hastily pulling him away from the astronomers he was talking to and into a slightly less noisy corner of the room. An alicorn’s hearing is quite good, and so Celestia could just barely make out what was being hissed in desperate tones.

“I can’t find Twilight.”

“What do you mean you can’t find her, Honey? Isn’t she off sulking in the library, like she always does?” Night Light asked gently, placing a calming hoof on his distressed wife’s shoulders.

“No, she isn’t, that’s why I’m scared! She isn’t in the palace library, or the archives, or even the library down the street she loved so much. I don’t know where she could have gone…”

“Maybe she went to the Vault of Tomes? You know, that big bookstore that had those big books on jinxes? She might have decided that nightmares weren’t going to do the trick this time,” Night Light was laughing, trying to hide his own anxiety as he attempted to ease Velvet’s; But his wife was shaking her head, and his weak smile was slipping.

“They’re not open today... I called to ask. There’s a colt there doing stock, but he said the store isn’t open during national events. I even winked down to Page Turner’s little place to see if Twilly was there, but he says he hasn’t seen her all month! I’m really worried, Nighty, this isn’t like her.”

Celestia frowned, dropping her attention away from Twilight and Shining’s parents, and instead onto her red-tinted reflection in the goblet of wine she was holding. Velvet was right, this wasn’t like Twilight. The sound of Spike’s stuttering apology made her look up again. Velvet was going to Twilight’s friends, asking them if they’d seen her, if they knew where she might have gone, about what had happened. First Spike, then Applejack, then onto Rarity, each of whom had shook their head sadly with looks of bemusement and a tinge of shame. Finally, the grey mare pulled Pinkie aside, who refused to meet the older mare’s eyes.

“It’s Pinkie Pie, isn’t it?” Velvet asked softly, as she tried to catch the younger mare’s gaze, “What happened? Where’s Twilight?”

“I-I don’t know. We had a bit of a-a fight… And when I went to apologize, I-I couldn’t find her… She’d already left…” Pinkie’s ears were folded back, her bottom lip starting to quiver as she struggled not to cry.

Velvet seemed to freeze, her fur standing on end as she processed this new information. It seemed to take a moment for her to find her voice again. “T-Twilly had a fight with you too? With… With all of you?”

Pinkie nodded slowly, as she finally looked up to match the unicorn’s gaze. Velvet’s mind seemed to be racing a mile a minute, her eyes shifting back and forth, as if she was reading a novel.

“Oh... Oh no. Oh no no no,” Velvet was muttering, visibly paling under her grey fur, as she backed up a step, bringing a hoof to her forehead as her mind raced faster “I need to find her, I need to find her right now.”

Velvet span around, her age doing little to stifle the grace she held when she was younger. The mare was ready to gallop full-speed out of the reception in a mad search, willing to knock any fool standing in her way across the room in her rush if she had to- Until Celestia very calmly stepped in front of her with an outstretched wing to slow her to a stop. Velvet came to an uneasy stop in front of the princess, her eyes still darting around the room in an attempt to keep up with everything that was going through her head, while still remaining respectful of her ruler.

“Come and talk with me for a moment, Velvet,” Celestia said softly, wrapping her outstretched wing around the frantic mare as she gently steered her over to a quiet corner reserved just for such meetings as this.

Already, Velvet wasn’t having any of it, and the unicorn was practically prancing in spot even as they came to a stop. “I am very sorry, Your Highness, but can this please wait? It would be my greatest honor to have a lovely conversation with you- Once I have my daughter safe and sound at my side.” Her voice was one of perfectly trained respect and manners, an epitome of politeness. There was steel underneath them however, steel that wasn’t hidden by the polite bow that preceded Velvet’s attempt to dart around Celestia and out the door once more.

Celestia closed her eyes and sighed as she blocked the attempt, drawing the grey mare back to where she stood not a minute before. A flicker of exasperation, and a stronger one of anger shone across Velvet’s face, before disappearing once more behind a cool mask, only cracked by the panic that was rolling off her in waves.

“Twilight Velvet. Your daughter is fine. I assure you. I know my student just as well as you know your daughter and we both know that she’s-“

“Most definitely not fine.

The anger had broken through the mask, and through all pretenses of respect that had been held between them. To say that Celestia wasn’t startled by being cut off would be an outright lie, as would saying that Velvet wasn’t entirely willing, in that moment, to commit grand treason if it meant getting to her daughter. Steel met steel as Velvet and Celestia stared each other down, each gathering the measure of the other, as they had countless times before. This had nearly become routine in the early days of Twilight’s schooling. Each, a mother and a teacher in their own rights, had disagreed in many, many ways about the beloved filly they shared. This, however, was the first time Celestia had felt such hatred and anger from Twilight’s biological mother. The aura between them was enough to be unsettling the guards that stood nearby. Even they could feel the murderous intent that coated Velvet’s next words.

“I do ever so apologize, Princess, but I must correct you on one little thing. Twilight may be your student, but she is my daughter. And she will always be my daughter. I know Twilight. I’ve known her for far longer than you have, and I know her far better than you ever can, because there are things she would never bare to you. I know her pain, I know her fears, things that you could never understand, because you are a goddess. A being above us. And I respect that. I honor you as my ruler, but I will never honor you as my sister, or as a fellow mother. Now, move aside, so I can save the mare that you helped break.”