• Published 8th Dec 2013
  • 23,515 Views, 314 Comments

What Have You Done? - cloudedguardian



Words and actions can sometimes hurt more than we know, sowing betrayal and hatred where friendship and innocence lies. A single thoughtless action can be a tipping point, one fallen domino setting off hundreds. Look back, and answer me.

  • ...
36
 314
 23,515

Child of Mine

“In fact, if I were you? I wouldn’t show up to the wedding at all.”

Twilight forgot how to breathe. Her chest had hurt before, the biting words her dearest brother had snarled out at her had made her feel like Discord was doing a tap dance on her chest- But that pain was nothing compared to what she felt now. It felt, incredibly, like drowning. He hadn’t said the words themselves, but the meaning behind the ones he did say was just as clear. “Get out of my life.”

How had it gone all wrong? It was a desperate reach upwards, to try to understand so she could make it right again, so she could breathe, break the water’s surface, and go back to how things were.

Then again, maybe it was already hopeless.

She was sinking as her mind, no longer preoccupied with the wedding, slowly pulled bitter cold conclusions. Maybe he’d thrown her out of his life a long time ago, maybe this had just been the last straw, the last step from which they could never return to. It would be laughable if it wasn’t so crushing- The wedding? Ha! She hadn’t even known he was engaged… Last she heard, he was getting over a bad break-up with Lyra.

Her head sank as tears soaked her cheeks, leaving her feeling as if an entire ocean’s worth of water pressure was trying to crush her. She felt too heavy to even stand anymore, and sank to her haunches.

She pulled her tail close around her, a frail attempt to be warm in the cold depths. Still struggling to find air, she looked behind her at her friends, hoping somehow that they could pull her up, rescue her just as her brother had, years ago, when she had nearly drowned as a filly.

“C’mon Y’all, let’s go check on the Princess.”

They walked right by her.

Suddenly she was scared, more so than she ever had been in her life. She forced herself to her hooves, reaching out to them, desperate-

They didn’t even look back.

She'd felt Celestia’s presence before she'd seen her. Twilight turned to her quickly, opening her mouth to try to explain, to beg for help, but she could only stutter as oxygen seemed hard to find. The look Celestia gave her cut her down more than anything else could- shattering the last fragment of hope she had as she realized she’d even pushed her mentor away.

“You have a lot to think about.”

That was it. That was all the pony she’d looked up to so said. The pony she’d considered her very first friend, outside of her own family. The pony she’d trusted the most… Everypony she trusted…

They left her to drown.


Chrysalis stepped quietly around the arch, looking down at the unicorn that had, incredibly, nearly ousted her to the entire Royal Guard, including the Princess herself. Everything had went far better than she could ever have anticipated though, and everypony had immediately sided against the little foal. She could hardly believed that it had worked, that she had managed to align all her pieces so, so perfectly! Every single pony in the castle was under her thrall, magical or otherwise… Which really just left, what was her name again? Ah yes, Twilight. That just left Twilight.

She had, originally, intended to toss the young unicorn into the same caverns that she had the lovely little Princess Cadence. Now, however, she was questioning how wise such a move would be. Heck, Twilight hadn’t even noticed her yet. With her head buried in her forelegs, and shaking in wracking sobs that left a taste of despair in the air, she was dead to the world… And maybe that was just perfect. Why bother wasting the magic on a pony that everyone else had already broken for her? It was completely unnecessary.

No, Chrysalis would just leave her there. Why bother playing the villain when you’ve already been cast as the hero? It would only lead to complications.

And anyway, she had a wedding to plan.