• Published 13th Nov 2013
  • 440 Views, 2 Comments

From the Ashes - Cryptech



When powers collide and war breaks loose one little filly is given the burden of a nation to bear. It rests on her shoulders alone to re-unite Equestria under one banner and end the senseless bloodshed.

  • ...
 2
 440

The Fallen Legion - Chapter 1

The Fallen Legion

The sun hangs high in the sky, scattering its rays through a tarnished window on to the still sleeping body of young Elpis. She rests on a metal-framed camp-bed, a dark green sheet draped over her flank and back-left leg. Around her lies a mess of medical paraphernalia; ranging from foil blankets and plasters to tourniquets and stethoscopes. Some of this rests on shelves while the remaining equipment is strewn out across the floor in what some may refer to as an 'organised mess'.

Elpis eventually begins to stir. She wearily opens one eye, her head still throbbing slightly from her operation. She immediately closes her eye once more as she is bombarded by beams of blinding light from the thin slit of a window above. After lying motionless for several seconds and allowing the purple spot imprinted on her retina to fade, she raises her left fore-leg to her eyes in a sort of wonky salute – a futile attempt to shade her face. She waits just one more second, then cautiously opens them again.

Now that she is no longer in immanent danger of losing her vision she notes that it is a beautiful day outside; at least what's left of it. So, with great pain she rises from bed, tossing the green bedding over the end rail.

If she had forgotten just how serious matters had been the previous day, she now recalls it in great detail as spasms of pain shoot up her spine, forcing her to kneel. She takes a seconds breath on her knees before rising once again and continuing her agonising trek to the door, one hoof at a time.

As she approaches the door she is thankful that her joints are now beginning to loosen up. It makes walking much easier. She stretches out her right fore-hoof, batting open the flimsy wooden door and is consequently bathed in sunlight as she steps down on to the arid plain that greets her. Her hooves kick up dust as she drags them across the dried-out mud. It is these same plains she sees in every direction; a thin coating of soil scattered with grass that has withered in the brutal heat of the mid-day sun. There is not a cloud in sight to provide shade in this desolate biome.

She trudges through the dirt, holding her head down to shield herself from the glaring sun. She is making her way slowly toward the clinic where she hopes that Alex will be waiting for her. Elpis knows that she should feel smitten over the events of the past few days. She has lost everything; her family, her health, and almost her life. But, in spite of this she can't help but feel a strange sense of happiness as she trots onward, her pain now numbed by the loosening of her joints. When she arrives at the complex she will have a myriad of questions to ask the doctor, on top of the countless difficulties in coming weeks. But, just for now, she can savour this moment of comfort in the sun and forget what has happened. What a relief it is to just let it all wash away in this empty basin.



Three sharp knocks come from the door, breaking Alex from her day-dream. She lifts herself slowly from her padded chair, sighing from exhaustion. “This heat is making me lethargic”, she mutters to herself as she slowly makes her way across the room, already putting on her welcoming grin as she opens the door.

“Good morning Elpis, I see you've found your way all right”, says the cheerful doctor. “I do apologise for not coming to get you, but I thought that it was better to let you sleep after the way you collapsed last night. You were asleep the second your head hit the pillow!”. She grins, before adding her apologies concerning the state of her room; “It was the only suitable place I could find for you on such short notice”, Alex continues apologetically, “I just hope that it sufficed”.

“It was fine, really”, replies Elpis hastily. “I realised that I never thanked you for what you did. Without you I wouldn't even be here now”, splutters the filly thankfully, “I just hope there's some way in which I can repay you”.

“Don't mention it dear, it is my job after all”, says Alex, blushing a little at her thanks. “How are you feeling?”, she inquires hesitantly.

“It still hurts a lot, but I think I'm beginning to adjust to it”, replies Elpis.

Alex appears slightly concerned at this news. “Well, I'll see what I can do for you”, she says, gesturing toward her shelves lined with medicine. “The pain should subside almost completely within the coming months, but until then I'm sure I can find something to at least numb it slightly”.

Elpis looks on as Alex rummages hastily through the clutter of glass bottles, brushing aside loose sheets of paper covered in dust. A stack of tattered and faded tomes sit on Alex's desk, their spines inscribed with an assortment of runic symbols. Although their meanings are lost on Elpis she finds herself intrigued by the intricate nature of the characters. Each stroke had been made with great care and purpose, so as to effectively pass on knowledge through the ages. Clearly that care had paid off, as these same tomes were now in the possession of Alex, who would no doubt be learning what she could from previous generations.

A soft thud draws Elpis back to current affairs. Alex is standing before her with a big grin and an even bigger bottle of purple liquid. “Try this”, the friendly doctor demands. “Take it twice a day and it should sufficiently dampen the pain”.

Elpis leans in with one hoof to grasp the bottle, but Alex draws it back and presses her free hoof gently against Elpis' chest, barring her way.

“One brief word of caution, Elpis: The medicine will not only numb the pain from the operation, but it will numb all pain. It may also make you very drowsy just after taking it, so be sure that you are not caught off-guard in the next few weeks – not that it should be a problem”, warns Alex.

“Of course”, Elpis replies solemnly.

“Good. Now that's over with you can start your course”, says Alex, smiling once more as she hands the bottle over to Elpis. “Drink up”, she says cheerfully, “We need you well again as soon as possible”.

Elpis looks down at her hooves. Grasped carefully between them is the bottle containing her medicine. The purple liquid glows faintly with magic. This magic is used by unicorn spell-crafters to bind the ingredients together in such a way that they may cure almost any known ailment given the correct ingredients and enough time. There is a faded label on the bottle where writing once was, but it too appears to have fallen victim to the cruel sun.

After briefly studying the elixir she raises it to her lips as the expectant doctor looks on. The glass rim presses coldly against her lower lip, sending chills through her chin and neck, but as she parts her lips to allow some of the liquid passage she is pleasantly surprised by both the temperature and taste of the medicine. Despite the cold flask, the liquid is warm from the sun and sweet-tasting against her parched tongue. She would have no problem taking this twice a day.

With a warm thanks and hoof-shake Elpis departs from the clinic, heading toward the encampment on the doctor's orders.



The journey proves long and tiring, but as Elpis finally arrives on the outskirts of the settlement she is feeling much better than before. A cool wind flows through her mane, carrying with it a sweet floral aroma. “This medicine Alex gave me must really be working”, she thinks to herself with a smile and trots on.

After just a few more strides Elpis finds her path blocked by two heavily-built pegasi, clad from head to hoof in tempered steel. They both carry spears by their side, strapped to them with hoof-made leather fastenings. Elpis tries to side-step around them, not wishing to accidentally provoke two such heavily armed guards. The two guards side-step in perfect sync with her, denying her entry to the camp.

The guard on the left speaks up. “State your name and business in this outpost”, he demands gruffly. Upon noticing the young filly they have stopped the guard on the right suddenly changes his expression to one of recognition. He immediately nudges the first guard hard in the ribs and whispers something in his ear. “Oh, my mistake miss. Please, make yourself at home”, says the first guard apologetically. They both step aside and continue off on their patrol route, tails between their legs.

Elpis hurries onward before they decide to change their minds, heading deep into the heart of the encampment.

She trots past a group of younger foals playing in the bustling streets. They dart and dodge between passers-by, ducking under parked carriages. They seem blissfully unaware of the ongoing war.

How Elpis wishes that she could return to those sacred days, where all she had to concern herself with was what game she would play next. Alas, the war has claimed that past, along with her parents. She had not been granted the luxury of time; she was pushed from the nest before she learned to fly, and had fallen into this frightening new world.

She looks back at the young colts and fillies as they chase each-others' tails, shouting and laughing in the heat of the day.

“I can't let such a fate befall these foals”, she thinks to herself. “This war has already claimed far too many innocent lives, and would do so again without warning. I can't just sit idly by and watch as their future is stolen from them”, she tells herself. Her face creases slightly with anger as she finally begins to realise the true scope of this conflict. No-one is left unaffected. She trots on faster, ignoring the returning pain in her ribs.

She has only gone about 50 metres when she is stopped dead in her tracks. Elpis hears a sharp coughing and spluttering to her left. Glancing over her shoulder she notices wounded soldiers lining the side of the street. The public hospital is too full to house them, prioritising those with more severe injuries, so they are forced to wait outside in the hope that they will be seen. Several elderly ponies are amongst their ranks, most likely drafted in through conscription in such dire times. Elpis catches the gaze of one old soldier. He stares back, not at Elpis, but right through her. His eyes are cold and dead, hiding horrors that he dare not, or could not speak of. Elpis immediately tears her eyes away, scared by what she may glimpse through his. She is too young to witness the horrors of war, yet foals much younger live with it every day.

Elpis is almost pushing a gallop as she heads through the labyrinth of narrow alleyways that make up the heart of the encampment. She has no idea where she is going, but she wants to be as far away from these walking corpses as possible. She can see death in every one of their eyes. If it has not yet already claimed them, then it is coming. It may be years from now, or tomorrow morning. Everywhere she goes she can hear the ticking of the clock, but can never see the hands.

Elpis continues at a gallop for several more minutes before subsiding to the rising pain in her chest. She collapses against a weathered stone wall, panting heavily from exhaustion and fear. This was the first she had truly seen of the war, and now she was stuck in its choke-hold. It all just confirmed what she had known from the moment she awoke in the operating theatre; that there was no going back to the world she had once known and loved. That world had gone with the flames of the first strike. She weeps for its passing and the passing of those she loved. The war is a merciless fiend, taking even the memories of her past life – even the birth name bestowed by her parents. All it left her with were these tantalising strings of memories that she must now piece together as she builds up her new life.

Elpis curls up tightly with her head between her hooves and shakes. Her chest heaves with each silent sob as she no longer tries to quell her sadness. Instead, her tears of sorrow have turned to tears of rage at those who began this war, those who stole her former life and would do the same to so many more, all for the throne.

Before Elpis can even attempt to compose herself a wooden door swings open just left of her. In the doorway stands a stout pony with a matted brown beard and mane that hangs down to his chest. His face looks as weathered as the stones his shop is built from. The shopkeeper stares down at the filly, carefully inspecting her before speaking. “Elpis, I presume?”, says the shopkeeper inquisitively.

“Y-yes”, stutters Elpis, wiping her eyes and brushing back her own matted mane. She is surprised that he knows her name.

The shopkeeper notices her condition and look of confusion. He puts on a comforting smile. “Word travels fast in such a small community”, he says in reply, “Why don't you come inside and sit down? You look like you need it”.

Elpis gratefully accepts his offer, lifting herself painfully off the floor and trotting cautiously into the shop.

Inside she is met by a vast assortment of weaponry hanging from the wall; axes, pole-arms, swords, daggers, maces and bows. A range of shields lean against the counter, each intricately decorated with a matching coat of arms. “This must be the armoury”, she thinks to herself as she looks over at the battle-ready manikins in either far corner of the room. The whole place is dimly lit, creating just enough light to cause the metal to shimmer attractively to a possible customer, but not so much that they can be entirely sure of what it is they are buying.

“Take a seat”, he says, pulling up a rickety wooden stool.

Elpis obliges, clambering on with minor difficulty. Once she has finally stabilised herself against the counter she lets out a deep sigh and wipes her eyes once more, not wishing to appear so helpless and pathetic before a complete stranger.

“Thank you”, she manages to whisper, brushing a strand of her mane from her eye.

“Don't mention it”, the friendly shopkeeper replies, “Take all the time you need, then we can talk”.

After 10 minutes have passed Elpis finally manages to compose herself. She pulls herself into an upright sitting position away from the counter. With her legs still trembling slightly she speaks up.

“I'm sorry about that”, she says looking a little embarrassed.

He plants a muscular fore-hoof on her shoulder in an attempt to re-assure the filly. “Don't worry about it”, replies the shopkeeper. “I'm always glad to be of service”, he continues, “Besides, it just so happens that you stumbled upon the right pony”.

Elpis once again wears a face of utter confusion. “How so?”, she questions.

The shopkeeper answers, “My name is Eldric Storm-hammer and I am the faction armourer and blacksmith. I am also close friends with Alex, who I am sure you have met already. She informed me that you might be coming to the encampment and that when I met you I should have you fitted for armour, just in case the need arises”. He adds hastily, “I told her that you would surely have no need for it, but she was very insistent on the matter”.

Elpis briefly considers this turn of events. “This may be my one chance to really make a difference. I know that I wouldn't be of much use in a battle, but whatever difference I can make will count. This war has taken everything from me, so I really have nothing left to lose”, she thinks to herself.

“Actually...”, Elpis says to Eldric, “I do have need of it”.

Eldric looks very surprised at her statement. “I have no problem giving it to you as a favour for Alex, but what could you possibly need it for?”, he enquires.

Elpis stares back solemnly. “I want to fight”, she tells him matter-of-factly.

Eldric almost falls backward off his chair. “You? Fight?”, asks the shocked shopkeeper. “Don't let me be the boss of you, but aren't you a little young?”, he says.

“Is it a problem?”, enquires Elpis, slightly annoyed by his quick response.

“A problem?”, Eldric repeats, “No. At least, not as far as the faction are concerned. They'll take every willing stallion, mare or foal they can get their hooves on. Even some stallions who aren't willing”, he adds bitterly. “It's just that you have to be sure you really are willing to join the war, and that decision isn't so easy, especially for someone as young as you”, continues Eldric.

“I am sure”, she interrupts.

Eldric sighs and lifts himself from the stall. He wanders slowly around Elpis, inspecting her carefully. His head travels slowly up and down her fragile physique. “Well”, he begins, “In that case I'll see what I can do. As far as current stock goes I have nothing that would even remotely fit you, but as I am also the local blacksmith I'll see if I can make you something more appropriate”, he adds, “As a favour to Alex”.

“Thank you!”, exclaims Elpis, relieved that Eldric did not decide against the idea.

“You'll also be needing a weapon if you are to go into battle”, continues Eldric, “Take a look at some of the ones hanging on the wall behind you and see if any of them take your fancy. I'll be down in the forge if you need me”. With this said Eldric wanders over to the far right corner of the room, passing behind a manikin and descending the flight of stairs concealed there.

Not needing to be asked twice, Elpis lifts herself from her own stool and trots round behind the counter. “There are just so many”, she mutters to herself, “Which one should I choose?”.

Elpis decides to start from the right and go left down the wall, carefully weighing up each weapon. She stares intently up at the first item; a huge battleaxe, sharpened to within a hair's width on either head. The axe looks deadly, but much like its companions to the left, far too hefty for Elpis to wield.

She moves further down the wall, coming across an expansive array of swords, each with different lengths and curvatures; all the way from the humble rapier and scimitar to the noble longsword and broadsword. Elpis decides that she would have the same problems carrying the larger swords as the axes, however; Elpis decides that she may be able to manage one of the shorter swords.

After analysing the scimitar closely she reaches up to take it off its rack so that she can gauge how it plays in her hooves. Her initial surprise is just how heavy it really is, no doubt owing to the dense metals it was forged from. She stumbles slightly under the weight of it, but manages to gain control and lift it so that it is in line with her eyes. The curved and finely hammered blade glints under the dim lights. She tries to give it a quick flick in her hoof but almost drops it. She places it back carefully, deciding to try something lighter before she breaks anything.

Elpis continues looking through the assortment for almost an hour, being very cautious in her choice of weapon. She goes through flails and morningstars, halberds and pikes, but nothing seems quite right for her.

Just as she is beginning to lose all hope in finding a suitable arm, she finally stumbles upon something that catches her eye. At first Elpis struggles to make out what it is in the dark room. This one doesn't shine like all the rest. She moves closer to try and make it out. It's the bow she saw when she first entered the shop. It's a fairly small bow with a neatly carved elm body. Either curved end of the bow is held precisely in place by a taut string running its entire length. Whilst not as shiny as the other weapons on display it shows the same delicate craftsmanship.

Sitting on the floor just below the bow is a finely decorated quiver of arrows, proudly displaying the same coat of arms as the shields. Elpis can tell even in the dark, that each arrow has been hand crafted with great care and attention to detail. The flights are all evenly spaced and held tightly to the arrow to ensure that the archer's every shot hits straight and true.

Elpis reaches for the bow without even thinking. Much to her surprise, the bow is actually lighter than she expects, resting comfortably between her fore-hooves. This bow is really starting to appeal to Elpis, it is light enough for her to carry, and means that she won't have to be in the thick of the battle along-side the trained stallions. She is also relieved that this will spare her seeing much of the bloodshed of battle. “Yes, this bow feels right”, she says aloud, evidently happy with her decision.

She carefully bends down and extracts an arrow from the quiver, inspecting its sleek body and sharp head before loading it into the bow. Elpis raises the bow up once more so that the arrow sits in line with her eye as she closes the other. She has seen archery done before and knows the basics. She looks along the length of the arrow, picking out a series of imaginary targets in turn. She pulls back on the bowstring to gauge the draw-weight. It's far harder than it looks, and she is barely able to draw it beyond her nose before accidentally releasing the string and sending the arrow into a broken manikin lying in the corner of the room. This is definitely the right weapon for her, but she thinks that she perhaps needs a little more practise before using it on the battlefield. With bow and quiver in hoof she sets off down the stairs to find Elric and inform him of her choice.



Eldric is bashing away on the anvil with hammer and tongs as Elpis emerges from the stairwell. A strong smell of brimstone wafts in the sweltering heat, bombarding Elpis' nostrils and forcing her to recoil slightly. Noticing Elpis enter Eldric lays his tools on the side of the stone pit he is working in and raises his gaze to meet her expectantly.

“I see you've finally found your weapon of choice then”, says Eldric cheerfully. “I must say, I couldn't exactly see you going for a war-hammer”, he chuckles.

Elpis finds herself smiling at Eldric's little joke. She couldn't see herself even lifting a war-hammer.

“The bow is a powerful tool, Elpis. No matter how small and feeble it may appear, in the right hooves it has sent many a soldier to their untimely grave”, the blacksmith continues, “If winning this war truly means as much to you as you say it does, then through focused practise and a stalwart spirit you may just become the warrior we've all been waiting for, and this bow is surely your best means through which to accomplish this herculean feat”.

Elpis' heart races at this news. “I really can make a difference”, she whispers to herself as she feels hope rushing back into her life.



The evening sun hangs low in the sky as Elpis gallops through its lengthy shadows. She cannot wait to find Alex and tell her the news. She swerves in and out of passers-by as they too hurriedly return for the night, ignoring the annoyed glances thrown her way. Alex would surely be thrilled to hear that she had agreed to aid their war efforts. After all, it had been what she had wanted all along. For the first time since the war began Elpis could hardly contain her excitement.

She carried on rapidly through the slowly widening streets as she reached the outskirts of the encampment. The shadows danced and played in the dim street lights, enticing her to run ever faster. The bottle of medicine in her pack bashed against her side as she galloped onward. Luckily she had remembered to take another dose before leaving the armoury and it had truly worked wonders. She feels nothing but the cool night breeze in her mane and the pebbles beneath her hooves. With new-found energy Elpis climbs yet another notch of speed, hoping to avoid the patrolling guards as she exits the encampment.

She is practically flying as she clears the deserted outpost. Air fills her lungs, fuelling her desire to gallop onward, always faster. As she tears across the open plains she is silhouetted by the receding sunlight, causing her mane to glimmer a vibrant gold. She has never felt such freedom as this, she can't help but let out a cry of joy.

The sun continues its descent in the sky, trying its best to keep its head above water, but to no prevail. Its last few straggling rays are cut out, and the world is cast into shadow.

Elpis stops dead in her tracks, almost toppling head over hooves. The clinic that she had seen just a moment ago was now lost in the utter darkness. She turns around to notice that the encampment is also lost in the night. Surrounded by the black she falls to her knees, unsure of her next move. Nothing but darkness in every direction, not that she even knows which direction that is now that she has so foolishly turned around. Elpis is completely lost.

“How could I have been so stupid?”, Elpis asks herself angrily. “I've not even been here one day and I decide to go galloping off on my own”, she adds with annoyance, “Now how will I find my way home?”.

For the second time that day Elpis collapses in despair. Her head and hooves hit the rugged turf. She hits it again. After several more attacks on the ground she lies still, contemplating her options. Rather, she would be if she had any. As far as Elpis can see her only option is to try and last the night here. It is not one that appeals to her as she knows how cold the nights here are in contrast to the day, but the only other possibility would be to wander aimlessly in hope of finding civilisation. This choice appeals to her even less, as she knows it will most likely result in her drifting even further from home.

Several hours pass and Elpis lies in the dark, willing herself to stay awake. She knows that falling asleep in these conditions could prove fatal and after fighting for survival this is not the way she wants to go. She hears the wind's high pitched cries as it courses across the plains, rustling shrubbery and picking up dust. Her legs shiver and her chest aches from the cold. She wonders how long it will be until morning, carefully counting off the seconds. It's all she can do to stay awake and alive. But, as the night passes onward and the sun still does not arrive, Elpis begins to succumb to her dreams. Her eyelids grow heavy on her face, her cheeks sag and her pulse begins to slow. She can feel it taking her but there is nothing she can do to fight it, she simply doesn't have the energy.

She is engulfed by a new darkness, deeper than before, and from somewhere far off she hears the beating of hooves against the hard ground, accompanied by the wailing wind. It is a rhythmic beating, like that of a lullaby as she drifts to sleep for what may well be the last time.

Author's Note:

Sorry this took so long, I've had a lot of school work to be doing and I've found it hard to find any free time, especially free time in which I feel like writing. I pretty much ended up writing this in one weekend (it took the whole weekend) and I'm posting it after midnight, so I apologise if there are any glaring mistakes and would be grateful if somebody could point them out so that I can fix them. Anyway, as always I'd appreciate any feedback / constructive criticism you have to offer, and hopefully this chapter wasn't too dull. Thanks for reading!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment