• Published 25th Oct 2013
  • 714 Views, 7 Comments

The King of The Beasts - TheExhaustedBrony



Owlowiscious is more than just an owl.

  • ...
2
 7
 714

The King of The Beasts

Twilight retired to her chambers as per usual at the end of the day. She had gotten used to the castle and it's spacious atmosphere. The first few weeks of being a princess was difficult. The newly crowned princess found it rather hard to get a decent amount of sleep at night.

"Ugh, just another day." Twilight walked over to her dresser and looked at her reflection, "It's so surreal and I don't think I'll ever get used to such a drastic change."

In the corner of the room stood a wooden stand with Owlowiscious perched on top, "Hoo~."

Twilight giggled, "Well, I guess there's nothing I can do about it now." Twilight lifted the sheets with her magic and crawled onto the bed, "Things will get better eventually. Even if it's just a tiny bit day by day."

Just as Twilight was about to close her eyes, an unfamiliar voice rang through her ears,

"How long do you expect it to take, Twilight Sparkle?"

Twilight shot up in her bed, "Who's there?!" She searched the darkness for the source of the voice.

"Days? Weeks? Months? Years?"

"Who are you?"

"You call me Owlowiscious."

"Owlowiscious? Y-you can talk?"

"Yes."

Twilight began to fidget with excitement, "Why has it taken you this long to speak to me? I've got so many questions to ask you."

"Why don't we start now? I know many things, go ahead, ask whatever you want to know."

"Okay. First, what's your real name if it's not Owlowiscious?"

"My name is Roc."

"Wow, what a peculiar name. I think I've seen it mentioned in the Canterlot archives."

Roc flew from his perch to the bed as swift as a ghost, "It is of no surprise that you have." Roc ruffled his feathers, "I am not all I appear to be."

Twilight raised her eyebrow in a perplexed fashion, "Well, you are an owl that can talk."

Roc shook his head, "I am Roc, the king of beasts."

Twilight's eyes widened, shocked by what she had been told, "Now I remember. You were the one that defeated the first changeling queen! You disappeared all the sudden and your existence was forgotten over time." Twilight took a deep breath, "Where did you go?"

Roc stared into Twilight's eyes unwavering, "My battle with the changelings severely weakened me. I had to conserve my power if I was to remain in this world and thus turned myself into the owl that stands before you. Before I lost my god powers, I sought a species that would be fit to rule the land in my absence. I ultimately decided on the pony race and created a new type of pony."

"Alicorns..." Twilight muttered.

"Yes. I created alicorns. Ponies that posses and excel at both flight, magic, and physical strength. Perfect leaders. I instructed the first pony princess to-" Roc was interrupted by the opening of Twilight's bedroom door.

"I thought I heard something. Is there someone else here, Twilight?"

"Yes, your majesty." Roc announced.

"O-Owlowiscious can speak?" Celestia was just about as shocked as Twilight.

Twilight giggled, "Yes, but his name isn't Owlowiscious, it's Roc."

"Roc?" Celestia paused to process the name, "You don't mean Roc as in the king of the beasts?"

Roc flew over to the princess of the sun and hovered in front of her, "Indeed. While my appearance my not be enough to convince you of my title, I assure you that my knowledge of this world's history is."

"Tell me how ponydom came to be."

Roc spent the next hour explaining to the two princesses how Equestria's leaders came to be. He told them of his kingdom and it's glory, his allies, his enemies, and much more.

Princess Celestia was truly amazed. Knowledge about Roc's existence has been questioned by the princesses for centuries. The only pony to stand by his existence was Star Swirl The Bearded, and even with his claims, many ponies remained skeptical.

"I see. Absolutely incredible. I can't believe that you've taken the form of an owl and remained undetected by the eyes of the world for all these years."

"My time as a god had passed. That did not mean my life was forfeit. I wanted to remain on this earth and watch over what I have created."

"Roc," Twilight cleared her throat, "do you ever second guess yourself?"

"By what do you mean, Twilight Sparkle?" Roc cocked his head so that it was parallel with the ground.

"Well, nopony is perfect and every living being has its flaws and makes mistakes from time to time. Have you ever thought that you may have made the wrong choice by putting your faith in ponies?"

"You dare question my judgement?!" Roc's voice shook the entire room, despite his size, "I see no reason that would make me regret my decision and neither should you, Twilight Sparkle!"

Both princesses were shocked, especially Twilight, "I'm sorry! I do not mean to offend you in any way. I suppose a better way of asking is what did you see in ponies that made us fit to lead?"

In the blink of an eye, Roc's anger subsided, "I had always favored ponies for their togetherness. They relied heavily on each other for support and that was what allowed them to survive the test of time. I was impressed and I knew that the bonds that are created would benefit the world diplomatically."

Roc flew over to the window and stared at Luna's moonlight, "Now, allow me to ask you a question."

The two alicorns looked at each other and then back to Roc.

Roc turned his head one hundred and eighty degrees, "Do you know the true reason the changelings despise other living creatures?"

Both ponies began considering different possibilities, but shook their heads.

"It's because I didn't choose them as the dominant species."

Twilight's jaw dropped, "What?"

"When word spread across the world that I had chosen ponies over the changelings, the queen became enraged. She declared an all out war on the world. Her numbers were few, but their strength, fueled by their anger, allowed them to take on whole nations."

"I assume that this is when you fought, correct?"

"Indeed, Princess Celestia. The world emerged victorious and I brought alicorns to existence as the key figures that would represent the pony rulers."

"I'm still a bit confused as to why you asked us about the changelings." Twilight shifted her sheets and got out of the bed.

"I have been observing them for some time now. Even though you have defeated them once, they are, as we speak, creating an army. Hundreds of times larger than the attack on Canterlot. I'm not sure of what their attack plan is, but Canterlot will not be the first place they will strike."

Author's Note:

This was rushed beyond all belief. I really just wanted to get One-shotober over with so I came up with this in like an hour.

Comments ( 7 )

I think you beat the challenge, man!:pinkiehappy:

It has potential. Maybe do a little more work I. It if u wanna keep it a one shot. But I like it.

There's no reason behind this story. It is an idea that is ill suited to this form story. This idea would be better as part of or central to a multi chapter epic. It can perhaps be made to work, somehow, but there are just too many 'revelations' too fast one after the other for this story to be palatable.

To say it feels rushed is an understatement. I read it and did not like it :ajsleepy:

Blasphamy!!
You are no true king !
For it is I!
*Grabs a bunch of chicken feathers and glues them to his shell*
The real king of the owls!!
Who would dare say otherwise!
Who, i ask you, Who!

3396700 thank you for your honest opinion, I didn't like it either.

3396700>>3397680
I found it entertaining. That was enough for me.:twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment