• Published 3rd Mar 2012
  • 1,652 Views, 26 Comments

Daring Do and the Wendigo Shrine - ThePartyCannon



Daring Do and her partner race to stop an evil pony from conquering Equestria

  • ...
2
 26
 1,652

Epilogue

Nopony ever knew about the dangers that were nearly present to them. Two days after Reinerth’s death and the destruction of the Wendigo Shrine, the Grand Galloping Gala took place in Canterlot just as it would have under any regular conditions. Ponies from all across the land went about their lives, ignorant to the apocalypse that could easily have risen. And they had no idea the costs that went into saving their lives.

Aboard the Onyx Corona, which slowly soared across the green fields surrounding Canterlot, Daring Do lay in a musty bed below deck. Sunny lay in the bed next to her, soaking its blankets and pillows with tears. Jack contributed his share occasionally, but mostly kept his emotions hidden from everypony. The doctor, who was able to procure Daring Do from aside the lake of lava, treated the pegasus’ wounds. He patched up her cuts and gashes, and even managed to pump some new blood into Daring’s veins. Still, she remained unresponsive.

Three more days past. It was nearly a week after Reinerth was defeated, and Daring Do, Jack and Sunny had made it to Canterlot. Their situation never changed though; they would sit by Daring’s bed in the hospital as she lay there in a comatose state. Ten days after they rescued Daring, on a warm sunny day, Daring Do finally opened her eyes. Sunny was asleep in the adjacent bed, and Jack was sitting in a chair next to Daring Do, staring at the wall.

“Jack?” Daring tried to say. Her vocalization only came out as a mixture of grunts and mumbles from her dry throat.

Jack nearly fell out of his chair at the sudden noise. He whipped his head around to face Daring, leaving several strands of unkempt hair hanging in his face. He beamed, and moved his mouth in an attempt to speak, but no noise came out. After a few frantic seconds of trying to talk, he gave up and threw his hooves around Daring Do. She returned his hug, weakly and looked towards Sunny.

Jack followed her gaze, and made his way towards the young unicorn. He gently shook her awake, and as she began to detest, her eyes landed on Daring Do. She didn’t react nearly as excited as Jack had, and simply continued to lay on the bed. She waved a hoof at Daring Do with exhausted relief before letting her head fall back to the pillow, a warm smile across her face.

It took Daring just a few days to recover, which surprised everypony; even Jack, who had known of Daring’s resilience before. Within two weeks she was able to run, fly and play with Sunny without end. She visited the museum, and explained the Wendigo Shrine to the curator, neglecting to mention anything about Professor Reinerth. Though hesitant to believe her at first, the museum finally acknowledged the discovery of the legendary shrine, but were crushed as they learned of its destruction. And for the first time since Daring had met him, Jack seemed fine with destroying ancient relics.

Newly deemed ‘Royal Captain Mbarka’ had already left Canterlot on his new airship, and was travelling across Equestria with a Canterlot Royal Guard regiment. Royalty had granted him The Onyx Corona, in return for servitude as a Captain. He flew the 152nd Royal Canterlot division across the land, searching for threats throughout Equestria. He had left after leaving Daring, Jack and Sunny in Canterlot, and for all he knew, Daring was dead.

After their initial ecstasy had ended, Daring, Jack and Sunny all settled down in Daring’s small house for awhile. She spent most of her time there, playing games with Sunny or reading books with Jack. Without constant threat to their lives, Jack and Daring were able to catch up, and rekindle their old relationship. Sunny was able to finally get to know Daring on a personal level, having time to just sit and talk with her for a while.

Then, on a cloudy day, as Sunny was napping in the corner, Jack came to Daring Do. In his saddlebags he had a few scrolls, and he clenched a dusty tome in his mouth. Setting it down in front of Daring, he asked her,

“Ready for an adventure?”

She didn’t answer, and stared down at a hoof-drawn map of some coastal area in Equestria that Jack had produced from the dusty book. Along the coast were several towns, which sounded only vaguely familiar to her. They bordered an ocean, which Jack had drawn lines and charts through, all leading to a single spot. At their junction, Jack had drawn a crude picture of a wrecked boat.

Daring knew what it was, but still raised her eyebrow to Jack in suspicion. He nodded excitedly.

“I think I found it, Daring.” He said as he beamed. “Nopony else has ever found the wreck before. We’d be the first.”

Daring stood from her spot, and walked to her desk. Picking up her pith helmet and placing it on her mane, she turned to Jack.

“What are we waiting for, then?”


Author's Notes: So it's done. My first story on FimFiction! I feel it was a little rushed at the ending, and continuity may have faltered a wee bit, but overall I think it's pretty good. Now begins the arduous task of editing before I submit it to Equestria Daily. And yes, there'll be a second one, eventually. Check back in a month-ish time or so.

Comments ( 2 )

I've been reading this one since you put out the first chapter and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. It was a very good read and you have my applause good sir.

635663 Thanks! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I sure did.:pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment