• Published 8th Mar 2012
  • 1,401 Views, 28 Comments

A Traveler's Journal - Frost



A Traveler is sent to Equestria after casting an experimental spell.

  • ...
2
 28
 1,401

Part One: Dreams, more dreams, and... first contact?

PONYVILLE LIBRARY
TIME: NOON

"Yes, I can talk," I said, sitting up. "How'd you guess?" Subconsciously, I noted that I shouldn't be able to understand her.
"The campsite." She got a notebook from nowhere. "What's your name, if you have one?"
That isn't important," I said, "Don't ask why. Currently, I'm more concerned about the fact that I got here from casting an unlocking spell."
"Wait, casting? But you don't have a..."
"Horn. Yes, I know, Twilight. I just work that way. Have you ever heard of humans?"
"Yes, Lyra-" She suddenly stopped.
"What is it?"

Wait, I wasn't supposed to know her name yet... Oh well, worse than this has happened before.

"How... how do you... know..."
I cut her off. "It involves multidimensional travel, highly advanced magic, and children's stories."
"How does that even...?"
"Work? I have no idea. Heck, I don't even know how one mistake in a unlocking spell could possibly send someone to another universe, and I'm a master at teleportation magic." Wait, a master? Why would I say that?
"...Oh. Well, why are you still here? And how do you know Equine?"
"To answer your first question, either the spell got me past a barrier, or it created one, because I'm not leaving these realities anytime soon. To the second, I'm kind of having a headache casting a translation spell until I understand your language. A normal human wouldn't understand you, in most cases. Anyways... why'd you bring me here, unbound, without telling Celestia?" ...Why would I have a headache from such a spell? I only ever cast a one-use spell, which does not need constant focus.

"My friends can't use magic to stop you, we trust you for some strange reason, and... Spike? Take a letter."
He walked into the room. "Ok Twi- whoa, WHAT'S THAT?"
"Please don't..." I started.
He fainted.

"Do you think being cold would wake him up?" I asked.
"Yes. but he won't like it," she replied
"Oh well, I can't cast ice magic very well anyways. It could be a bit dangerous if I accidentally put too much power into it." Wait, what? Is this a...

"Again, how-"
"Teleportation magic involves life detection magic. It can be very useful at times. Could you please back up a bit?" She did so, and "I" stood up.
I noticed I stood about two to three feet above her. Hopefully this wouldn't be a problem, though it would make "me" stand out in a crowd. "Yes, I stand on two feet," I told her, "that's just how my body works."
She looked stunned, but quickly recovered. She proceeded to ask me several questions about humans, and I answered them the best that I could, though I hadn't been to Earth for a while. Spike woke up in the middle of it, and Twilight got him to write and send a letter.

After the questioning:
"Could you let your friends in?" I asked, "I'd rather get this over with as early as possible."
She opened the door, and her friends walked in. Well, four of them. I just ignored that and focused on the four that were actually here.
Rainbow Dash seemed to worry that there was another intelligent species in the room, for some reason.
Pinkie Pie was focused the party that she would someday have for me, magical radar or not.
Rarity seemed fascinated by the clothes I was wearing.
Applejack just looked stunned.
And Fluttershy was in the doorway, looking terrified.
And I was in the center of it all, when a powerful force seemed to impact my body.
There was a bright flash, and I felt the sensation of Traveling. Again.

LOCATION: ???
TIME: ???

OK, so there were other Travelers showing up here as well, apparently from a similar spell designed to teleport the caster. Or wearer, as it could be applied as an enchantment, and would not show up as a curse. So any Traveler could appear at any time, which means that I would have some people to help me if this was more than the wrong spell being sent. And at least one of them is aware of the show's existence. Wait, why can't I talk yet? And why can't I see?

I heard the sound a knife makes when it is drawn. (Wait, why do knives cut the air anyways?) After that, a scream, and a laugh.
FLASH!
Still dark. This time I heard a yell, which, from what I could guess, was that of a male.
FLASH!
I could see this time. It was a hospital, but all I could see clearly was a chart. It said something along the lines of someone being accidentally poisoned, but I couldn't see more than that. The fact that I could read it must mean that either this person could read the language of this universe, or had a spell casted on them to do so. Or that it was plain English, or another language that I could understand.
FLASH!
Another scream, this one sounded much younger, and more frightened. I also heard what would likely be a name, but translation spells don't work in dreams such as these, unless the person whose eyes you're seeing through has said spell casted on them. It was still dark.
FLASH
I saw a pistol pointed at my head, which immediately fired. Wait, why were there guns here?
FLASH!
Falling from the sky, extremely high up.
FLASH!
Someone in power armor, standing still in a dark room.
FLASH
I saw a blue phone booth. There was nothing immediately unusual about it, but I sensed a highly powerful... humanoid, and another person in there.
Apparently, that did it.
FLASH!

LOCATION: OUTSKIRTS OF EVERFREE FOREST
TIME: NEAR 8:30 A.M.

I awoke. For real, this time, unless this whole thing has been a dream. I was still disoriented, but I became aware of a dragging sound. I also felt myself being pulled along. I opened my eyes. Still darkness, but it was more of a "In a dark room" darkness, rather than "Blindness" darkness. I could detect moisture via a spell I had come up with myself, so I cast it, and saw six quadrupeds, two flying, heading towards what appeared to be a vet from the sheer number of animals there. Four were pulling whatever I was in. I heard gibberish, along the lines of the sound of the name being called out in one of those dreams. I cast the translation spell as well.

Now, funny thing about that spell: it produces a fairly bright flash, which meant that they saw the ... whatever they were carrying me in, flash. They didn't seem to notice it, for some reason. I could understand them now, and would likely not need to cast it again to understand this language. Another thing about that spell, as well as the moisture detection one: They take up a lot of mana, and I couldn't tap into the ley lines of this universe yet.

"...I told you, this thing is resistant to my magic. The only thing I can do to help is pull it with you. Here, look, I'll try it again," One of them, whom I assumed was Twilight, said.
It would make sense. Several hundred years (I'm immortal, in case you don't know.) of training magic resistance could, ya' know, make it hard to use magic on someone. The fact that it was passive may have been because I was unconscious.

I felt myself being lifted into the air, inadvertently opening the bag and dropping me on the ground. Fortunately (or not), I didn't land on my head.

"That was easier than- IT'S OUT!" She yelled. Apparently, they found something to put the Elements in, because none of them were wearing their pieces. Five of them ran, but Fluttershy stayed, and stared me down.

Ah, The Stare. If I had to qualify it, I'd say it was a ability, unique to her, which hypnotizes and brings out strong negative emotions. A good comparison would be a continuous fear spell. It could go anywhere from moderate fear to insanity. Either way, it would have the same effect: it would make the target leave you alone for a while. Nothing from this planet could resist it.

Thankfully, I was not from this planet.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A.N. This took a while, mainly due to my own laziness and the fact that I share this computer. Oh, and school, too, I guess. Anyways, I had an idea for this chapter halfway through, as I wanted to introduce other OCs being added early on. And if enough people ask, I will make an "OC application" blog post, with its own pre-made application requirements, but only if enough people want it. If you want a crossover, MESSAGE ME instead (obviously). It could be a good idea, but I don't want everyone to know what I'm doing before I even start writing the chapter.

P.S. I've changed the title as well, as the old one was kinda.. er, stupid.

EDIT and P.P.S.: the OC Creator, or at least the first third of it, should be up by the end of May.

Comments ( 9 )

HALLELUJAH! A NEW CHAPTER!

Do you have any fucking Idea, how long I have waited for this? Well? DO YOU? :flutterrage:

474990 Um... A while?:trollestia:

476320

Not long at all, I just jumped a bit of time after dropping by my home for some hot chocolate. :pinkiehappy:

Hmm...

This is going rather interestingly. Traveling is always a good premise to work off of, as well as pocket dimensions and whatnot. Your truly not as bad of a writer as you may believe you are, but there definitely could be some useful tuning coming to you from my way.

Your fic seems to have plenty of room for OC's and crossovers-

...

Crossovers, you say?

Intriguing... Allow me to do what I do best (sorta)...

Le Track.

Le Like.

478752 The reason I had to rewrite half the chapter was to open that up earlier in the story.

480584

Sooo... When's the next chapter out?

640268 A week. Any longer, I'm changing it to On Hiatus. Expect it soon.

642730 Frost...You may have done the impossible by writing this story…

So, will you be able to finish or not?

Login or register to comment