• Published 26th Sep 2013
  • 998 Views, 157 Comments

Might Be For Us - Fat1thatyoulove



The sequel to the MAybe series, part 48-50. Follow our main character thought his newest trails as he tries to better understand the consequences of his influences on Equestria; and how it affects the ones he loves.

  • ...
7
 157
 998

Chapter 5

Chapter 5 – Testing the waters when jumping in

The constant and mundane chatter of the ponies in the city have hit Violet and Sparky's ears almost like a roar, Ponyville compared to Canterlot is a ghost town; even the main street on the busiest of days doesn't compare to the city street around them.

Violet's idea about trailing away from the main stone path of Canterlot to avoid the clusters of ponies Twilight and you warned her about hasn't really turned out so well. By no means are the two young ponies lost, seeing as how the castle's tall white stone and gold towers stand above the normal sky light of the buildings; but as there trots continue to abruptly stop for other faster rushing ponies the light purple mare has started to worry about the time.

The stallion next to her seems to share her concern as he tries to slender himself through the squeezing ponies around him to better keep pace with the young mare, "They don't expect everypony right after the train arrives do they?"

His comment goes on answered for a moment as Violet focuses her mind to her trot, but as the crowds around her start to thin out she turns her head and gives a nodding yes.

"Oh..."

Violet's pace again quickens as she takes advantage of the mainly clear path laid in front of her, the pegasus stallion trailing her holds to her speed as the castle's lowered drawbridge comes to sight.

Along with the rapidly approaching castle a sigh of relief expels from the young mare as her eyes drift to a few other unicorns she saw on the train.

The two young ponies legs carry them well as they meet up with another unicorn that has been halted by a white mare in goldish armor, "...You must show your pass if you are truly a guest at the castle."

Violet's ear flicks to the words as she starts her horns glow to the pocket she placed her train ticket in.

But the guard ponies words don't spark a response in the caramel unicorn stallion with blond mane combed neatly to one side standing in front of her, "My pass? I didn't get a pass?" The stallion's voice has a slight preppy tone to it as he just stares to the mare with a little annoyance.

As the stallion's words end Violet pushes herself in front of him as she flashes the gold ticket to the guard mare, "Thank you, and welcome."

With a smile and a nod the light purple mare returns the ticket to her pouch as she begins her trot under the castle's archway, the faint sound of the other unicorns magic comes up as Sparky tries to follow after his friend. However his walk is halted as the guard mare extends her hoof, "I'm sorry, no unauthorized guest."

Sparky shoots a smile as he lifts his hoof to the purple mare that's paused in front of him, "Uh...I'm with her."

To the words the guard mare turns her head to Violet, as the armored ponies eyes come to Violet she gives a nod.

"Oh, then welcome to the castle sir." The guard mare's hoof comes back down as the preppy unicorn beside Sparky brings his ticket out, "I believe I should be allowed in finally."

Sparky rejoins Violet as the unicorn stallion behind him gets a wave on in, "Ugh, can you believe I almost wasn't let in?" The caramel stallion's words come directed to the young mare in front of him as he takes a step in between her and the pegasus she walks near. "I mean honestly, a pony such as me should have been recognized."

To the stallion's new position next to her Violet just gives a simple nod hoping he'll just get bored of lack of conversation.

But it doesn't stop him as the preppy tone trails on, "I knooow..." The stallion shakes his head in agreement to his own words as he pokes his head up a little higher, "I am Sir Jules, and who might you be?"

Violet doesn't stop her trot to waste her attempt at hoofing as she just focuses to the slightly larger group of young unicorns that have gathered in the middle of the castle courtyard.

To her silence the stallion halfens his gaze and picks his speed up, "Well, obviously you must be a pony that never learned proper greeting etiquette."

The words sharpen Violets eyes as she squints annoyed to the stallion's held up head as he begins to move to the center of the group of other unicorns.

Violet doesn't start her trot up towards the group though as she turns her head to the orange pegasus that now returns to her side, as her eyes focus on him she brings her right hoof up as she gives a few flicks to her ears.

The motions quickly spark a reply from the orange stallion as he holds his voice down just to her as he mocks the moved away stallion's preppy voice, "Oh really? You've never heard of me? The most rude and annoying stallion ever?"

A faint smile comes over the mare's face as she listens to her friend's mocking tone, but her next hoofing motion is cut short as a feminine voice comes over the group from the stairs leading up to the regal carved arches of the white stone and gold shimmering castle, "Welcome everypony."

The calm and regal sounding tone pauses as everypony turns their attention to the tall white and multicolored maned mare that now stands in front of them. Celestia's magenta pink eyes hold a smile all there own as she looks over the group of no more than about ten ponies in front of her, "Today is a special day, both in your lives and mine. Today marks the start of a new chapter for each and everyone of you, a chapter in your life to learn and experience."

Violet's ears perk up to the almost expertly rehearsed speech as she holds her gaze to the white mare continuing to speak, "...All of you are here today not just because of the skill you showed as a foal but instead you are all here because you all took that first hoof forward for yourself, you alone took that test years ago and you alone proved to yourselves that you were able. I now ask for everyone of you to take another step, you all have a special talent or gift, but without a proper understanding of your magic you will never be able to use it the way it should be....I...We hope to guide you all on this journey into self advancement. I hope to see everyone of you better yourselves and Equestria with what you learn in your next few years."

Celestia's speech comes to an end as the group in front of Violet starts up in a cheer, the light purple mare holds her own energized smile as she claps her front hooves to the ground to contribute to the noise.

A little giggle runs from Celestia as she brings her hoof up to quite the young ponies, "Oh thank you..." The regalness of her tone shifts a little as she continues, "...Now that formalities are aside I believe it's my duty to make sure you all feel comfortable with what you need to do on your first year. As most of you should already know it's not a full year, but one month in which you will be tested on your skills to better point out what you excel at, so that you can better it....I have always believed the best way to understand magic is by letting it come naturally, this is why your first year is only one month, because it is up to you if you can push yourself to achieve what you want." A giggle comes over Celestia as she finishes her lengthy comment, "I would think you all are eager to show your own magical abilities right now, so if you would all please take a few steps back we shall begin."

As Celestia's words ends the group all begins to space out as everypony moves a little away from each other.

"Perfect, now is there anypony who would wish to go first?" Celestia's head swings a little around the group as she looks them over.

Violet hesitates for a moment as a pinkish mare in the front of the group speaks up, "I'll go."

Celestia smiles to the young mare as she nods her head, "Excellent. Now after everypony has shown a spell we shall point you to your rooms." Her long hoof points to the center of the spaced out ponies as she speaks up, "Just try any spell you wish."

To the words the other ponies back away more unknowing as to what the cherry maned and pink coated mare will do.

Her horn sparks up in a pink glow for a moment as the two satchels around her come to seat next to her. As the bags drop down onto the castle courtyards stone her horn's glow and chime picks up in intensity. The mare closes her eyes as she focuses on a spell.

But the moment of concentration is cut short as the sound of her magic rings around the castle's area, in the blink of an eye the mare's magic has run it's course and her spell comes to an end. Violet like the other young unicorns just stare to the now cloned mare standing beside the other cherry maned and pink coated unicorn.

The mare's face shows an excited smiling glee as she looks around her peers, but the spell holding the copied mare comes to an end as it fades from the world with a loud pop and shimmer of pink magical sparkles.

Celestia nods her head to the mare as she trots back into the group, "Well done, a clone spell must have been hard for a young unicorn such as yourself...Who's next?"

Violet's hoof rises high to the air in front of her as she quickly springs her horn up and teleports her bags to the unexpecting orange stallion next to her; Sparky's mind quickly comes up to the newly teleported heavy bags that drape over his back, but he doesn't have a chance to complain as Violet's horn again sparks up now teleporting the mare to where the cherry mane pony once stood.

Celestia holds a sweet smile to the light purple mare as she waits for Violet's horn to spark back up again, but the young mare hesitates for a moment as her eyes pin to a dark blue coated and night shaded mane pony coming out from the castle's entrance.

The pony is no stranger to Violet though as Luna takes her steps next to Celestia with a slightly embarrassed tone, "We hope we are not too late. Welcome everypony." The sheepish dark mare stands next to her sister as the group of ponies return her hello.

But as their voices come to an end Violet takes up her stance as she begins to glow her horn a bright blue. Her eyes take on her inner determination as she continues to build her swirling magic to her horn, the few moments turn to long seconds as her horn continues to burn with her approaching spell. The light purple mare holds a smile to her own now loud chiming horn as she clears her mind, the chiming of her blue magic rings around the courtyard as it begins to shift to a slightly greener tint. However the excited mare doesn't hold her built up spell for long as she jerks her head up and her eyes slam shut to the loud cracking bolt of blueish green magic that's fired to the wispy clouds above the courtyard.

For a moment nothing happens and everypony just seems to have turned their heads to the sky for no reason...But as there eyes hold to the sky a few bright white shimmering pieces of frozen water start to seep from the dissipating clouds above the castle grounds.

The young unicorns just blink to the now falling snow that has started to trickle down only to their area of the court yard.

Violet lets out a few pants as she steadied herself and waits for the white mare to speak up.

To the young mare's stare Celestia nods her head with a smile as she brings her expected tone out, "Thank you Violet." The white mare's eyes turn to the other young ponies still staring a little confused to the sky as she speaks up, "As most unicorns know, weather magic is not abundantly common outside of pegasus's own wings, but with training even uncommon magic can become learned and used with ease."

Violet holds her head up a little high to the comment about her 'uncommon magic' as she brings her slightly panted trot back towards her awaiting friend.

"Who would like to go ne-..."

"I will."

Celestia's words are cut short as the only crystal mare in the group steps forward and begins to gently settle her bags to the ground. The two princesses hold their eyes with an encouraging stare as the grayish shining mare takes up her stance.

Violet's snowfall begins to dwindle down a little as the small clouds above the area start to become a distant memory to the warm day's sun.

The crystal mare takes a deep breath as she presses her hooves to the ground a little more firmly. As her breath ends her eyes tightly shut as she starts her gold glowing horn to a very vivid bright cracking magic tone.

Celestia still holds her calmed face as she looks over the mare, but the group around the crystal pony now blink a little confused to the intense magic, the crystal mare's coat slightly takes on the goldish glow faintly to her grey fur.

The spell of the mare's horn holds without a falter for a few seconds, but as her seconds turn close to a minute everypony begins to mutter to themselves.

But as the ponies’s mouths start up in a chatter they feel the warmth on there faces cool as a shadow comes over the courtyard. From the new shady feel they look up to the sky in a silent and baffled expression.

Celestia turns her head to the sky as she loses a little bit of her usually calmed expression. The giant orange and yellow burning orb in the sky has moved behind one of the castle's towers now bringing a shadow to the court yard.

The crystal mare's spell breaks as her front legs slightly buckle and fall flat, but she brings her heavily panting self back up as she waits for a response.

However a response from either tall mare standing on the stairs in front of her takes a moment, but Celestia's voice comes back to her as she holds her calmed tone to her now slightly surprised expression, "What is your name my student?"

The grey shimmering mare is silent for a moment as she regains her breath, but she puffs her chest out as her well spoken voice comes up, "My name is Starlight Bright..." Her voice is too tired to say more as she just nods to Celestia and picks her bags up to return to the group.

"Thank you Starlight..." Celestia's more cheerful tone comes back up as she turns back to the other ponies, "Who's next?"

No pony moves for a second, but a stallion finally moves to the center as he begins to roll through a spell. But the young ponies including Violet don't pay it much mind as they continue to think over the spell they just witnessed.

Sparky leans over to Violet as he hooves her one of her bags, his voice holds a slight whisper as he speaks up, "I thought no pony but Celestia and Luna could do that kind of spell?"

Violet just shrugs to his words as she turns back to watch the other ponies spells.

End of chapter 5