• Published 26th Sep 2013
  • 997 Views, 157 Comments

Might Be For Us - Fat1thatyoulove



The sequel to the MAybe series, part 48-50. Follow our main character thought his newest trails as he tries to better understand the consequences of his influences on Equestria; and how it affects the ones he loves.

  • ...
7
 157
 997

Chapter 2

Chapter 14 – How about this one?!

Violet holds her intense searching eyes to the bookshelves for a moment as she scans them for anything that catches her eyes. It feels like forever since she and Sparky left the castle; and although it's a little strange that no pony from her class has shown up to get an early jump on the next spell for their third test its not uncommon. For the past few weeks Violet has really dove herself into her studies, not being able to so easily talk to other ponies has kept the young mare from distractions and having Sparky around and Starlight as a competition has kept her from wearing herself out.

The sound of her magic sparks up fast as she pins her eyes with a filly like glee to a dusty book at the edge of the shelve, as it floats out bringing a slight trail of dust behind it her eyes move over the cover, Advanced Conjuring. At the bottom of the light brown and dusty caked cover there reads a few words that the young mare just so happens to avoid reading as she starts her trot up, for experienced summoner only.

The library around Violet as she trots back to her table is quite and the very low sun's light coming from the top dome glass window of the building has started to lose it's hold over the building, instead giving way to the artificial lights of the library.

Violet's blue magical hold brings the book quickly to rest on the table as she moves the letter home she wrote a few minutes ago to one side. Across from where she now takes her seat, sits the dull orange pegasus as he continues to pull his mane with his right hoof as he just stares to the few papers he pulled from his bag when the two got situated.

To the stallion's frustrated stare Violet's horn sparks up as she jiggles the paper that he's focusing on, the movement slightly crosses his heavily focused eyes for a split second which brings a slight wheezing laugh to Violet's mouth as she starts her hooves up.

Sparky blinks to her comment as he tries to flatten the mane that has now been pulled straight up from his frustration, "I can't do this!" His hoof comes to sit atop of the slightly smudged ink and crossed out numbered paper as he continues, "Really, when am I ever going to need all this math? I know how to shape cloud without knowing how much a cloud weights when its a rain or snow cloud!-..."

The stallion's complaining doesn't stop as he starts to point to the two scratch work papers that sit next to him, "I did this like a hundred times, I feel like my hoof is going to come off...."

Violet just starts to nod her head to his continuing rant as she floats the paper over to her, through her nods she looks over the twenty question long study paper as she brings his pencil to her magical hold...Of course Sparky doesn't take notice of it as he continues to jab his hoof a little to the two meaningless work papers, "...Look I did everything, how much a piece of cloud weighs VS a full cloud, heck I even-..."

His words start to become a slight blur as Violet's horn makes short work of the eraser shaving covered paper, and before the stallion's voice can run back up again she's scooted the paper back to him.

As the light blue magic around the paper fades Sparky stops his voice as he takes it into his hooves, "...H-how did you do it so fast?"

Violet ignores his comment as she flops the book she pulled from the shelve into Sparky's hooves's grasp, which causes the paper in his hold to be trapped under the heavy book as the stallion reads the title out loud, "Advanced Conjuring?" He turns his eyes to the smiling mare as he cocks his head, "What's conjuring? Like potions and Zebra brews or something?"

Violet rolls her eyes to the comment as her hooves speak up.

Sparky blinks to her for a moment as he shrugs, "Y-ya I guess it's a good idea...But can you even do these spells? It says advanced."

A silent HA comes from Violet as she wiggles her hoof to him and floats the book back to her with a smile as she begins to flip through the pages for a spell.

But to the mare's lack of motions Sparky speaks up again, "Wait...You're not just picking some old spell book because of Starlight right?"

Violet nods her head as she holds her gaze to the pages she flips through, but before he can speak back up the light purple mare turns the book to him as she taps her hoof to a page.

Sparky looks over the text as he speaks up, "...What?"

A faint sigh comes from the impatient mare as she floats the book up to free her hooves to talk.

Sparky's voice goes a little sheepish as he thinks over her motions, "Um...I don't really know too much about magic, I don't know if that seems like a good spell to try or not."

Violet turns the book back to herself as she taps her hoof to her mouth and squints to the page, but Sparky's voice continues as he gives a little laugh, "How come you just don't ask Starlight."

The name flicks the light purple mare's ear as she throws her head up in a sarcastic fashion and begins to jet her hooves and ears into a few fast motions.

To her fast and obviously heated words Sparky shrinks his ears a little as he shakes his head, "Oh come on Violet, she's not trying to kick you out...Starlight is just after the same thing you ar-..."

Violet blinks to his words as she cocks an eye to him and brings her hooves up fast in protest.

Sparky's eyes go wide as he quickly shakes his head, "No I don't...I mean sure she's cool, but I don't like her."

The light purple mare blows to the comment as she rolls her eyes and continues to trial her hooves on. By now the few ponies walking into the library have turned a squinting eye to the rapid mare's front legs motions but most just mind their own business and don't hold a glance for longer than a moment.

However neither Sparky or Violet notice the few stares as the dull orange pegasus starts to stutter a little, "W-well so what if I like talking to her, I like talking to you, i've always liked you-..." Sparky's slightly rushed words come to a halt as he trips to his own tongue, "I mean I just...uh."

Sparky's words don't register to the mare, as how her focusing on when she will be able to bring her hooves up keeps her from really listening to his voice. But the stallion's heavy and nervous stumble brings Violet’s mind back to something more than just watching his lips as she cocks her head to him.

From her stare Sparky swallows hard as he just hoofs to the book in her hold, "W-what was another spell Viowit-Violet." He clears his throat trying to cover up his slight lisp as he gives an embarrassed smile.

But the stallion's struggling smile brings a faint grin over Violet's face as she holds her hoof up and looks back to the book as she starts to flip the pages.

Her eyes trace over the pages for a moment before she stops and looks over one with a smile. Without a moment's hesitation she turns the book towards Sparky as she taps her hoof to the book.

Sparky immediately jumps on something that might get his mind over the previous argument as he reads the text, "W-Windigo summoning?"

Violet nods her head as she taps her hoof to her horn and brings her hooves up.

"Perfect?" A faint chuckle comes from Sparky as he shakes his head, "I may not have been the best-tis pony in history, but i'm pretty sure Windigo are better left NOT messed with...Besides what makes you think you could even do this spell?"

Violet turns the book back to her for a moment as she pinpoints her hoof to the text she wants him to read, it only takes a second for her quick reading to find it as she turns it back to Sparky.

The light orange pegasus squints to the words as he reads them aloud, mainly for his own slow reading benefit, "...A Windigo is a icy pony like creature that feeds off of intolerance and hate, the greater Windigos were one of the many reasons Equestria was sought after by the Three. However lesser Windigos can be magically created through the knowledge of an advanced caster or through the use of snow weather spells. Which make them considered one of the less known spells in Equestria for Unicorns..." Sparky looks up to Violet as he speaks, "How would you create this thing?"

A faint smile comes over his face as his voice goes a little low, "You're smart and amazing with magic but I don't think you have ever done any kind of spell like this."

Violet nods her head as she brings her hooves up confidently.

"A list? What list?" Sparky looks back to the page as he notices a column on the right, "...The spell can be made easier with a few items mixed into a drinkable potion as seen on page one twenty seven..." Sparky squints to the list as he speaks up, "A pegasus feather, A few strains of mane from a powerful mage, and a wild cloud."

A nod comes from Sparky as he speaks up, "Ok but where are you going to get those things?"

Violet gives a sweet smile as she looks over the pegasus, from her stare Sparky curls his wings up a little more to his back, "Um...wings are kind of sensitive...Could I just give you a feather tomorrow?"

To the words Violet nods her head as she brings her hooves up with a giggly smile.

"Ya, I was hoping you weren't going to do everything today." Sparky's words come to an end
As Violet floats the book back to her.

But as she starts to trace her eyes over the text Sparky brings his voice up a little sheepish, "Um...Do you think you could help me with a few problems before you start reading?"

With a little smile Violet nods as she moves her book aside.

- - -

It's been a few hours since Violet found the book that she has now submerged herself in, not because she's still looking for a spell, but because the oldish text is for some reason interesting.

Sparky sits across from her with his head now leaning over another worksheet paper as he again starts to looks like he's struggling with it.

But his silent struggle is brought to an end as Violet turns her head to the dome window a little surprised, the low light she saw when she sat down has now been replaced with the faint glow of the moon that has started to come over the room. Sure it was lateish before but she still finds the sun already being set a suprise.

Her body quickly kicks into gear as she floats the book up from the table as her satchel comes around her and the letter she wrote earlier today comes to float next to her book.

Sparky looks over her with a slightly confused stare as he speaks up, "You're leaving?"

A nod comes from her as she gets ready to start her trot up, but it's halted as Sparky stands from his chair, "Wait, I...I still need a little help on my math."

Violet again nods her head as she beckons him to follow after her. As the stallion starts to grab at the things on the table Violet starts her trot to the book checkout counter as she walks over to the familiar yellow coated and dull blonde maned mare.

As the librarian notices the light purple mare's trot she gives a little smile, "Checking out a book?"

Violet gives a friendly smile as she floats the book and the letter to the mare, but her horn's glow doesn't stop as a gold card floats from a side pocket on her pouch.

She and Sparky have been to the library enough for the librarian mare to know Violet can't talk, but really Violet doesn't need to say anything seeing as how she already knows what's needed.

"Alright Mrs.Sparkles, you're all set, and we will send this letter off tonight." The mare hoofs back her student I.D. And the book as Violet turns her head to the stallion that just now makes it over to her.

With Sparky behind her the two ponies start out into the bright night's light as they turn towards the main street. However their trot doesn't stay as they look over the clogged street in front of them, even at night Canterlot seems to be busy...Instead they turn their eyes to another direction as they start to walk towards the side street adjacent to the library.

The street is nothing new to either seeing as how they usually end up eating lunch at Donut Joe's which is just up the corner. But they only recently found that they could make it to the castle this way, which definitely beats bumping into everypony on the main streets.

But their fast past walk that has brought them a decent ways away from the library comes to a halt as Sparky's voice comes up, "Oh darn it..."He brings his hoof to his barren side, "I forgot my satchel."

Violet turns around as she looks to the building thats slightly down the road they just came from, but she doesn't get to even move a few hooves before Sparky speaks up, "I'll just meet you at the castle."

Violet nods to his words as she continues her trot to the castle that only sits a few streets over, the sound of Sparky's quick flapping wings starts to fade behind her as she just continues to trot down one of Canterlot's many side street alleyways.

As she dips into the building shadowed and slightly colder and tighter path Violet's horn sparks up as the large book comes to her face a little as she bends a page at the top to mark where she left off. But her trot is brought to an end as the sound of two very laughy voices start to bounce around the alleyway.

Her horn quickly moves the book aside as she blinks to the two familiar pegasus that have taken their first hooves to the alleyway’s other entrance.

Violet doesn't personally know the two stallions, but after going to the wonderbolts academy a few times to meet up with Sparky the light purple mare has learned the cream colored stallions name at least.

As the two stallions near Violet's position their conversation starts to ring around the walls, but it comes to an end as the two stallion's stop their laughs and look over the light purple mare whose path they slightly block.

"H-hey...I know you?" The cream stallion squints his eyes to Violet as the chocolate coated stallion sways a little with a half eyed gaze.

Again the cream stallion's voice runs around the alley with no height control as he laughs, "You're that stuck up mare that won't talk..." A dumb laugh comes from the two obviously drunk young stallions as they take a step forward.

Violet blinks to their jokey attitude as she slowly moves the book back to her pouch as she just tries to give a friendly smile.

The two pegasus stop there inching forward as the cream stallion speaks up, "Hey...Y-you know what, there's a celebration go-going on for all the wonderbolts academy do~dos, how come FillyFlank wasn't there?"

A faint laugh comes from the chocolate coated stallion as he leans a little to his friend, "What's ya say about coming to a celebration? It's fun?" A dopey smile comes over the slightly hic-upy young stallion as he waits for a reply.

But Violet doesn't acknowledge the offer as she just tries to turn back and head towards the other street.

"Oh, where y-a going?" A chuckle comes from the cream stallion as he flaps his wings up and comes a little above the ground as he sets his sight to the mare now trotting away. His low flight is sparked up a little fast as he darts his hooves to Violet's sides as he tries to turn her from his position above her, his foul smelling breath burns her snout as he talks directly to her ear, "Come on, its fun."

Violet quickly and easily jerks herself from the stallion's hold as she sparks her horn up with an annoyed and now slightly afraid magic building in her.

"OHHHH, look out Flaps, I don't think she likes you!" A laugh comes from the chocolate coated stallion as he watches in a drunken amusement to Violet's stance.

Flaps holds his own smile to the mare's horn as he shakes his head and smiles, "Come on, if you don't want to come just say no." A laugh comes from him as he again extends his front hooves towards her from his above ground flight.

Violet bats his hoof away with her own as she takes a step back, her magic now chimes a little louder as she tightens her eyes to his not stopping approach.

"Hey we just trying to-*hic*" The stallion's wings freezes for a moment as he drops from his slightly higher up position, but his over compensation to the sudden lose of flight only sparked his wings up to knock into Violet as the large stallion now pins her under him.

The chocolate coated stallion down the alley still holds a laughing tone to the sight of his friend falling from his flight.

But the dead weight drunken stallion that now has her pinned under him sends a slight shock to her as her magic pops unable to start back up.

Instead her broken voice starts up in a slight yell as she tries to push the stallion off of her, "Hhhhhzzzzz!!"

However the mare's unusual sound only turns the stallion's slightly embarrassed face to a now drunken smile as he continues to hold his weight over her as he bends his face a little too close to hers, "W-what's that? You don't want me off?"

Agian the chocolate stallion still a little ways down the alley holds his laugh as he speaks up, "I think I heard that too Flaps!"

Violet's horn sparks back up this time in a bright green glow as she closes her eyes tight to focus her shocked and scared screaming mind.

Although her building spell doesn't knock the stallion's weight from her. Violet's eyes quickly shoot up as the sound of a loudish thump hits the ground in front of where she lays.

"OWW!" Flap's voice has lost a little bit of it's drunken stupor and the chocolate coated stallion at the middle of the ally has abandoned his laugh.

The now slightly dirty light purple mare brings herself from the ground as she looks to the dull orange stallion in front of her.

Flap's voice continues to speak up as he holds a slightly raised tone to Sparky as he flares his wings out from where he landed, "What's your problem FillyFlank?!"

Sparky is silent as he just holds his gaze to this stallion in front of him.

But his silence brings the chocolate stallion that now trots next to his friend up in a laugh, "Hey look Flaps, FillyFlank is mad..."

Flaps looks over Sparky's stance as he shoots a cocky smile, "Hey, don't worry FillyFlank, we were just talking to your friend, thats all."

The words don't change Sparky's hard stare as he speaks up, "Well you're done now." The smaller stallion's voice is not the biggest threat but his stare has definitely gotten the two stallion's attention.
However his words only last so long as the chocolate stallion shakes his head, "Oh please...Flaps, it's FillyFlank...The same pony that wants to be a cloud-shaper!"

A laugh comes between the two stallion's as they look over Sparky, but Flaps nods his head as he starts to flex his wings out, "Ya, you're not worth it...Have fun with your broken mare by the way."

Sparky's eyes harden as his wings quickly flare up as he sends himself charging into the two larger stallions. But his hopes about knocking them down don't really happen as only Flaps staggers and eventually falls due to his own off balance. The darker coated stallion however now retaliates with a quick front hoof grab that ends with Sparky being slightly tossed to the wall, but it's the next motion that brings the pain as the bigger stallion rams his body into Sparky's flared out winged side as he presses the light orange pegasus to the wall with his bodies force.

But before another motion could come up the stallion is hit with a low green bolt that pops on impact with a loud ear pounding chime. The bigger stallion is sent to his back a little ways down the alley as he groans a little. However Sparky wasn't spared from Violet's spell either as the jolt of screaming magic made him slightly bash his head into the stone building behind him, leaving the stallion to close his eye and rub his head as he slumps a little to the wall.

Although Violet's attention doesn't go to him as her horn sparks up in a low faint blue glow that comes to Flaps as he stands. The cream stallion's eyes go wide as the feel of a sobering hold comes up from where Violet has placed her magic that now shines to under the stallion's coat.

There's no words that need to be spoken from Violet's mouth as she just holds a cold stare to the stallion that is now in her control.

Flaps nods his head as his voice comes out with a filly light pitch, "S-sorry!"

Violet's horn stops it's glow as she nods with a smile and trots over to where Sparky stands, her friend's slightly pained expression sparks her horn up as it's blue glow slightly wraps around both of them. But their figures are only seen for a moment before they disappear with a faint chiming pop.

End of chapter 14