• Published 26th Sep 2013
  • 994 Views, 157 Comments

Might Be For Us - Fat1thatyoulove



The sequel to the MAybe series, part 48-50. Follow our main character thought his newest trails as he tries to better understand the consequences of his influences on Equestria; and how it affects the ones he loves.

  • ...
7
 157
 994

Chapter 4

Chapter 26 – For ever free

The trip from the library has drained away most of the now lowering sun's light, but anything less than a brisk gallop has always made traveling from the library to Applejack's or better yet the Everfree forest a decently lengthy journey.

Truthfully Violet knows she's not supposed to go into the forest, but having mostly stallion's for friends means that everything somepony does has to be topped. If somepony takes a hoof into the forest, then somepony else has to take two hooves into the forest, and after what happened a few weeks ago the dark mangled and untamed treeline and wild bushes don't really scare anypony. Well at least not the purple mare that now starts to pick her trot up.

Sparky on the hoof starts to slow down as he veers a little more to stay on the faded dirt path that sits a few gallops from the edge of the Everfree forest.

(Ahh...I can feel a twinge of fear, pegasus...Ha-ha, what kind of stallion especially a pegasus pauses on a trek that even a mare can lead?)

To the ear throbbing echo Sparky speaks up, "Uh Violet...Are you sure we have to go into the forest for the best clouds? I could just get one from here?"

Violet stops her trot into the thicket as she turns her head back to the still stalled stallion, but her hooves come up fast as she gives a little tease and beckons him to follow.

With a little hesitation the light orange pegasus brings a quick gallop to catch up with her. Really it would be faster for Sparky to just fly up and drag a cloud back, sure a wild cloud is a little harder to move especially for a young pegasus but it's still just a cloud. However that idea falls flat not because Sparky can't do it, but because the light purple mare that continues to lead insist that it can't count as her spell if she doesn't at least do something other than cap a piece of cloud in a jar.

The low glow of the sun barely reaches into the forest as the two ponies continue to go further and further into it, all the while just holding their heads to the clear blue sky above them.

Wild clouds don't really get to make it out of the forest to far, seeing as how the weather patrol will stop any unwanted rain; however the thick humidity expelling from the plant growth should hopefully have created some kind of cloud before their journey into the unknown world goes too far.

Violet and Sparky's ears stay pinned to every sound of the area as their hooves continue to snap twigs breathe and rustle the bushes around them as they travel through the stuffy forest.

But their quick legs bring them to a promising spot as they set their eyes to a slight clearing in the trees, Violet springs her hooves up in a gallop as her satchel claps to her side to bring her under the canopy opening. Sparky follows suit as they both hold their eyes to the sky now decently seen through the scraggly leaves.

A smile comes over the mare's face as her blue gaze sets to a large puffy grayish and white lofting surface sitting just above the treeline, a few wisp of smaller clouds part around it as they break off from the light fall breeze but that's not the mare's interest as she taps her hoof to the stallion beside her.

Sparky's wings flare out as he looks over the cloud, but he turns back to the mare as the sound of her horn's glow comes up. The pouch to her satchel comes undone as an empty clear jar comes up next to her in a blue aura.

"Alright...It should only take a few seconds." Sparky takes the jar into hoof as he lifts himself from the forest floor and starts to loft upwards. But he doesn't get even a few flaps up before the slightly paralyzing echo comes back, which quickly brings him to a halt.

Violet blinks to the sudden stop but she holds a more guilty stare to her friends wing as she just thinks over what she's asked him to do.

However Sparky doesn't notice the mare's stare as he listens to the echo, (You would leave a mare in a forest alone? When you, a stallion fear for yourself...) A banging laugh comes up as Sombra's voice continues, (I do hope you get to watch a beast tear her to shreds, while you hover safely above...Ha-ahh, your anguish would truly help my regeneration pegasus.)

The echo ends as Sparky's eyes flicker a little green and he turns his head back to the ground beneath him, but he stares in horror as he looks over the light purple mare that's now been surrounded by three large dark brownish green beast that circle the mare.

(Your thoughts betray you...And my powers have been growing Sparky...)

Sparky's voice is silent as he just looks over the wood like wolves starting to move closer to where Violet cowers unable to bring a spell up in defense. Sombra's echoy laugh just comes up and in a bang around Sparky's head as he blinks his eyes hard.

As the echo ends Sparky's eyes shift around the dark forest treeline, no longer with the faint green haze the sun's fading orange and red light only barely comes through this area and that's only because of the canopy's parting...Sparky quickly turns his eyes back to the lavender mare as he brings his flight back down.

To the descending stallion Violet brings her hooves up as she gives a little smile.

Sparky quickly rejects the comment as he speaks up, "No-no, I can fly...I just, uh-why don't you come with me? Y-you know that way you can take the piece of the cloud yourself."

Violet cocks her head to the words as she gives a giggly smile, her hooves pokes to her wingless back as she shakes her head to her friend.

But Sparky doesn't take her answer as he places the jar back in Violet's open pocket and begins to move his front hooves around the mare from his hoovering position, all the while making sure his hoof doesn't rub to the mare lower body or flank.

The feel of the slightly dirty hooves of her friend only turns Violet’s confusion more as she slightly pushes from his hold.

Sparky backs his hooves from her as he speaks up, "You know that cloud walking spell right? I know your mom always talked about how she was one of the few ponies that could do it...Have you tried it out?"

Violet shakes her head as she just blinks to his words.

"Alright!" The stallion tries to hold a simple smile as he extends his hoof towards her, "Then try it out...I-I promise I won't let anything bad happen to you."

There's a long silence from Violet's hooves and Sparky's mouth as the sound of the pegasus’s wings just faintly flap to the world. But the curiosity to Violet's mind starts to take over as the young unicorn swallows hard and sparks her horn up in a blue glow.

Sparky just waits as the mare starts to push through the spell she only barely knows, but the loudish ringing of her magic comes to a low pop, as her coat takes on a slightly more shimmer in coloring.

The sound of the echo comes back to Sparky's head, but this time a little less menacing as it calls out, (What spell is this pegasus?)

Sombra's comment goes unanswered as Violet's hooves start up, but the lacking confidence in the mare has turned her face a little more stern. However the tomboyish and relaxed mane of the young mare's hard face doesn't show much authority as Sparky slowly eases his hooves around her upper body, "I'm not going to drop you Violet..."

Her coat has taken on a slightly warm feel this time as Sparky moves a little closer over her and begins to flap his wings hard. But sadly the young stallion's mind is not strong enough to lift a real pony like he thought he could have done.

The hard tug to Violet's upper body is uncomfortable and she closes her eyes as she sparks her horn up in a bright blue glow, her lower body begins to become encased in her own magic as she brings herself to just barely float above the ground. But the slightly absent weight allows the stallion to lift her as he forces his wings into high gear.

Within moments the decent sized gray cloud comes beside them as Sparky struggles to speak through the strain on his wings, "Y-you ready Violet?"

To the struggling words Violet opens her eyes, but it's now that she realizes what she's gotten herself into as she looks to the ground that's absent from her hooves.

Her heart pounds fast even into Sparky's hold as she bites her lip and looks to the clouds, with a heavy moment she moves her hoof to touch it.

The cool damp feeling is nothing pleasant but as she pokes her hoof to it a little more a smile creeps over her face as the mare's stupidity and confidence in herself quickly wiggles her free from her friend's hold.

Violet's eyes wide and happy eyes sparkle to the deep orange fading sun as she just shivers a little with excitement to what she's doing.

A laugh comes from Sparky as he slows his wings speed and looks over the filly like mare's face. Violet copies the laugh as she gives her own wheezing reply.

The cloud is not really as big as it looked from below but Sparky brings himself to stand on it as he folds his wings under himself, the magic under his coat fades for the moment and a real joy comes over the stallion as his mind allows him to push his stress aside for his comment, "How do you like it Violet?"

The light purple mare just holds her smile as she looks over the world she now stands over, sure it's not the highest of points in Equestria but who else right now can say they're a unicorn on a cloud.

Sparky sits his flank to the cloud as he just smile to Violet's searching eyes, "Sit down..."
Violet's ear flicks as she slowly turns her eyes to the cloud she still shakes on, but she doesn't risk a hoof motion as she slowly eases her flank to the cloud, which brings a slightly unwanted dampness to her rump but she doesn't mind it as she continues to hold her giddy expression.

To the now sitting mare Sparky starts to speak up a little bit more confidently, "Y-you know I could turn this into something a little more comfortable?"

A faint wheezing laugh comes up from the light purple mare as she drifts her eyes to the stallion's cutie mark. But she nods her head as she waits for her friend's response.

A new found smile comes over Sparky as he looks to the cloud beneath himself, "Alright wild cloud...Time to flatten you out a little." He brings himself to stand up as he spreads his wings out and begins to flap them a little hard to the cloud's surface, the slight breeze is a little annoying but Violet just holds her eyes to the stallion's motions as the cloud's puffy area starts to get a little larger and flatter.

It only takes a few moments for the cloud to almost double in size as the now smoother looking white cloud holds to it's spot.

Violet stretches herself out a little more as she just looks over the cloud surface trying to make sure she hasn't started sinking yet.

Sparky holds his head up high to the simple cloud shaping as he moves back to sit next to his friend, unlike her though he doesn't take to the sprawled out and relaxed position as he speaks up, "You ok?"

A quick nod comes as a response as Violet just holds her eyes to the sun that's started to set over the world. Sparky follow's the mare's stare as he slowly starts to give into the lounging feel, he folds his wings to his back as he extends his front hooves like Violet as they both lay their stomachs to the damp surface beneath them as the two ponies just look over the sun setting world.

- - -

The cloud that Violet and Sparky have laid on has drifted a little from it's original spot, mainly from the heat expelling currents that have pushed the cloud higher than where it was. But the open area of the forest still holds beneath them as the cool now darker night air lofts past them.

Over the last maybe hour or two the two ponies have inched themselves a little closer, half because the warm body next to them is appealing but also because the quiet world around them has brought on a strange feeling to the two friends still above the ground. Even the echo to Sparky's head has quelled for the duration.

However as another chilly fall breeze rolls through them Sparky turns his head to the mare next to him as he speaks up, "So...You ready to head back yet?"

Violet's ear flicks to the comment as her face takes on a slight pout...but she nods her head as she moves to sit on her flank.

Sparky follows the motion as he watches the mare take the jar from her bag, nothing needs to be said as he takes it from her hoof and scoops a little bit of the cloud into it. "Alright...There you go, a piece of wild cloud."

A new smile comes over the light purple mare as she shoots her hooves to the jar as she studies the small wispy cloud piece the hangs to the top of the jar. But her stare doesn't last long as she turns her smile to her friend, the jar is quickly placed back into her bag as she starts her hooves up.

"Naw...It was nothing Violet." A faint chuckle comes from Sparky as he rubs his hoof to his other, "I mean, heck you were the one that knew the spell...I couldn't even lift you from the ground."

Violet cocks her eye to the comment as she hooves out a quick reply.

To the motion Sparky shakes his head as he rushes his words, "W-what no-no, you're not big I just-..."

His words are cut off as a faint wheezing laugh comes from Violet.

The noise squints the stallion's eyes as he looks her over, "Ooooh...A joke huh?" He spreads his wings a little as he starts to mock her, "Well good luck getting down."

Violet rolls her hoof to the comment as she hooves out a reply.

"Oh ya? And how do you know that a teleportation spell will work up here?" Sparky cocks his eyes to Violet as he shoots a little smile. But no real answer comes from the mare as she just simply taps her hoof to her horn.

The lighthearted moment holds for a second before Violet brings her hooves up with a different comment.

However the motions only bring a slight chuckle from Sparky as he blinks to her, "You want to try that dream spell here? What if you like over do your magic and fall out of the cloud?"

Violet rolls her hoof to the comment as she moves a little closer and closes her eyes.

The sound of her low horn comes to Violet's horn as Sparky just waits for the spell to kick in, but his quiet sitting is brought to an end as Sombra's voice rings heavy to his head, (NO! A mind walking spell would reveal my magic, stop her or I will!)

Without hesitation Sparky extends his hoof to Violet's chest as he taps her a little, "Violet I don't think-..."

A loud POP comes from Violet's horn as her spell breaks, but the working spell isn't the only thing that fades as the shimmer to her coat starts to dull and the magical warmth starts to flicker.

Sparky's eyes go wide to the mare now sinking into the cloud as he stands up with his wings out far, "Hold on I ca-..."

Without warning the spell breaks loose and Violet is sent into a free fall down to the forest floor, Sparky's hard flapping wings and extended front hooves dart through the cloud they sat on turning it into nothing more than a wispy remnant as he flies harder than he ever has before.

The split second reaction brings his hooves around the mare's body as he grabs hold of her, but there's no moment for talk as his speed becomes irreplaceable. Sparky can't stop his pace and is left with only one choice but the crash landing or letting Violet free fall.

With a quick flip of his body Sparky's wing now faces the rapidly approaching ground as he just braces for impact.

With a loud and hard thud, the stallion slides across the dirt and twig infested ground until his upper body is bashed up against a tree. A heavy groan comes over Sparky as his wings fall flat too the curved up dirt they now lay slightly under.

Violet's impact was softened by landing on Sparky but she still has a few scrapes and cuts from the slide across the forest floor. Although she doesn't pay attention to her own body as she quickly moves from the stallion her weight has pinned under her.

As she moves from Sparky's hold she holds her hoof to his head as she checks him out, but Sparky waves his hoof to her with a slightly pained voice as he speaks up, "I'm fine...I'm fine...I think my wings broke my fall." The slight jokey comment brings a laugh from the stallion as his body just twigs from the burn of the forest floor he slid on.

(Do not act like a colt...Your body can not be harmed if I am to regenerate from it.) As the echo ends Sparky's body takes on a heavy heart that flushes the stallion's cheeks as the intense magic starts to run under his coat.

Although no green glow comes from his light orange coloring as he just starts to pant to the intense heat.

Violet notices his breathing as she blinks to him not knowing what to do, however her mind is snapped back to reality as the sound of a tree branch snapping is heard near by.

The commotion the two ponies have made causes echoes through the forest, and now the sounds of it's inhabitants starts to ring around the area Violet and Sparky reside in.

(Ah...Pegasus, do you hear that?)

Sparky focuses hard to the mare standing beside him as he watches her horn spark up in a bright blue magic.

(...My vision for your mare may come to fruition).

A few hooves around the brushy area of the thick forest the rustling of the leaves gets a little louder, Sparky's heart now pounds hard not just from his body's heat but now from his own fear that's building.

The fear the stallion was holding is multiplied as a foul smell runs past his nose and a low growl runs to his ears.

(Tell me stallion...What will you do? Hmm?)

As Sombra's voice ends three pairs of green eyes poke from the darkness as the wolf like growl gets louder.

Violet tightens her eyes to the glow as she brings her stance up, ready for anything.

But her concentration has focused her mind in one place, unlike the stallion next to her that looks around the area. Which brings an unwanted discovery as Sparky's eyes widen to the four pair of eyes that sit to the further side of their open area. The magic under Sparky's coat builds to his fear as he brings himself to stand up quick, his wings, still cloaked in dirt spread out as he takes himself from the ground with a fast flap. Sparky's does not take on the magical color, but his wings start to flap hard to a thought that was not placed in his mind by himself, the hard flaps of his wings bring a strange sound as the pegasus just pushes through the motions that's being planted into his mind.

Without a moment more a loud thunderous sound cracks from the stallion's wings a smallish bolt of what looks like lightning is shot towards the four pair of green eyes.

A loud high pitched dog like whimper is heard from the brush as the bright light bolt rocks the bush.

From the painted animal's call a new wolf like howl comes up from the three still glowed eyed beast in front of where the awestruck light purple mare stands. The sound quickly snaps Violet's mind back into play, but her original spell is quickly substituted as a magical pop comes from where she and the light orange pegasus stands.

As Violet's teleportation spell ends she collapsed to the ground in a tired heap, the quick unbuilt up spell has taken the two ponies to the faded dirt road they arrived on...But at a cost.

Sparky fairs no better though as his body still reels from the magic that coursed through his body, the spell itself even left a surge of uncomfortable electricity to the stallion's now jittery wings.

However despite both ponies drained expressions Violet brings herself to stand as she quickly hooves out a burning question.

(Why does this mare act so shocked? I merely showed you a pegasus combat spell that all pegasus stallions are trained to learn?)

Sparky's lack of a reply causes Violet's hooves up again as she hooves the question out a little faster.

To the speed Sparky's pant stops and his eyes flicker a little green, "No Vio-let, I merely learned that from the Wonder Bolt's Academy." As the forced sentence ends Sparky's eyes comes back to their normal color and he's left now only feeling more exhausted and now with a raging headache.

Violet didn't pick up on the stallion's slight eye color change as she tries to understand what kind of...SPELL the pegasus just did. However the idea of it being learned from the Wonder Bolts slightly quells her question - for now - as she drifts back to the world still around her.

Her hooves come up as she quickly moves her tired hooves away from the forest's edge, it takes a few more moments for Sparky to follow but he does as the two ponies start the long trek back to the library.

End of chapter 26