• Published 11th Sep 2013
  • 394 Views, 2 Comments

Mystery Theater - Msande



Twilight and the man six head out for a play in the park, some more anxious then other but when the show is canceled Pinkie drags the group into a mystery Twilight could easily do if not for all the crazy ponies

  • ...
 2
 394

Theater stop

Twilight squinted as she looked around from the balcony on her library. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky. She smiled as she settled down next to her new book. She had just flipped open to the first page when a shadow fell across it. She glanced up to see Derpy making her rounds while small papers fell from the sky. Twilight glanced at one but brushed it off in favor of her book.

“Play?” Pinkie Pie shouted, her head shooting up from the foliage.

“Pinkie!” Twilight shouted, jumping back onto her hooves. “What in the world are you doing here?” she said in surprise.

“Twilight, I want to go see the play,” she said, holding out a piece of paper that looked oddly familiar. She recognized it as one of the papers that had fallen from the sky earlier.

“Sorry, Pinkie, I am really not all that interested,” Twilight said, glancing at her papers. She couldn’t see it, but she could feel the sad look the pink pony was giving her. A lock of curly pink hair slowly started to poke into her line of vision, slowly obscuring her vision. “Pinkie,” she said in an annoyed tone. Pinkie scooted further and further in until the pink mare was all but lying on Twilight’s book. She held her hooves up to her chin and mustered up the most adorable pout possible.

“Fine, it has been a while since my last play,” Twilight admitted with a tired smile as Pinkie leapt into the air.

“Yay!” she cried out in celebration.

\

“So, I asked Applejack and she said she was busy, but would come if I could get everypony else to come. So I asked Rarity and she wanted to know what the show was about. And I said, ‘Macpony’. She said it sounded high class enough but would only go if Fluttershy would as well. Fluttershy said she would go so that only left Rainbow Dash and you. Rainbow Dash said ‘no way’ so I hopped up and told her it was a revenge tale and all the gory details. So, she agreed and that just left you,” Pinkie Pie said, hopping up and down as she led Twilight to the outskirts of town where a large group of ponies had gathered around a long trailer.

“I wonder how they move that around,” Twilight wondered.

“Kind of reminds me of Trixie’s carriage, only about twice as big and three times as long,” Rainbow Dash said.


“Probably for all the props,” Rarity said, more than happy to be out for a night of theatre. “I do so hope the actors and actresses are well rehearsed.”

“Well, this should be interesting,” Twilight admitted.

“Says you,” Spike grumbled. “I can hardly understand these things.” Twilight giggled as she glanced over at Applejack. She looked just as interested as the baby dragon.

“Well, I hope nothing bad happens. It took a lot of work to get you all here,” Pinkie said with a big smile, sitting down in the grass as Rarity spread out a blanket to sit upon.

They all sat down, ready for the show to start when yellow pony with a braided red mane with a bow at the end appeared on stage. Her cutie mark was the comedy and tragedy masks with a red splotch beneath it.

“I am really sorry, everypony. We regret to inform you that tonight’s show has been cancelled due to many of our actors falling ill,” she said, lowering her head as a lot of ponies in the audience cried out in sadness at the lack of a show.

“What?” Pinkie said, her mane deflating while Twilight rested a hoof on her shoulder. “The show must go on!” she shouted, grabbing everypony and bolting for the stage.

“Pinkie!” they all shouted in unison while she created a cloud of dust where everypony was being dragged.

“Why are you cancelling the show?” Pinkie shouted. “I put a lot of work into getting all my friends here. So please go on with show,” she pleaded as the yellow pegasus’ eyes went wide and her right eye twitched.

“SECURITY!” she shouted. Everypony winced at her scream.

“We don’t have any security,” a calm voice told her with a deadpan expression on her face.

“Oh, right,” she realized, her face lighting up. “Look, I am sorry but we didn’t charge anypony. Besides, we can’t help it if all our best actors and understudies are out of commission. I really am sorry but unless you know where we can find enough ponies who have the play rehearsed and are ready to perform in the next two seconds, there isn’t much we can do,” the mare explained calmly.

“Sorry, my friend here can get a little pushy when things don’t go too well. I am Twilight and I am very sorry we bothered you. We will just be on our way,” Twilight said, quickly apologizing as she pushed Pinkie Pie into the rest of her friends while they moved for the door.

“Wait, as in Twilight Sparkle, Princess Celestia’s student and all around savior of Equestria?” she asked, her voice going one-eighty.

“I am an element, not a doctor,” Twilight said, rubbing her hoof against the other, very nervous at the comment.

“Yes, of course. I need you to take a look at him all the same. Hopscotch, could you make sure everything gets wrapped up?” she asked. Twilight glanced at the other pony that had come in. She was a red mare with a yellow man and a bouncing bunny for her cutie mark.

Fluttershy glanced over at her as she walked off. “I wonder what her special talent is,” she said in a low voice.

“Darling, you’ll never know if you don’t ask,” Rarity said, winking at her. Fluttershy went stiff and her eyes dilated. Applejack sighed, grabbing her tail and dragging the petrified pony along.

“By the way, my name is Spotshine. I never did get a chance to introduce myself,” she apologized, leading them out behind the stage.

“Yes, I’m sad to say I haven’t heard much of your work,” Rarity said.

“Well, this is our first trip out of Manehatten. We mostly did a few small shows until now but ever since we left, each of our actors has gotten sick. We have talked to a few doctors, but sadly, nobody has been able to help. They keep saying that they are perfectly healthy, but they don’t even have the energy to get out of bed. I am afraid that if they don’t get well, we won’t even be able to move the stage,” Spotshine said, lowering her head.

“That’s not good. But what makes you think I can help” Twilight asked.

“Well, you are the element of magic. At this point, I am running out of options. I put a lot of work into this stage and I just can’t let it go,” she admitted. “This is one of our best actors. He sucks at singing, but Prince has got some skill. He was the first one to feel sick,” Spotshine said, pulling open the door.

Twilight walked in and looked at the pony. His eyes moved slowly as he looked at her and Twilight noticed a bit of drool running from his mouth when she looked him over.

“At first, I thought it was just a bug. Then after a few weeks, I thought he was faking to get out of helping pull the stage. But after that, it seemed to move from one pony to the next. Before I knew it, I was putting on a play with about three actors. I am almost asking some of the other hands to help out at this point,” she said with a sight. Twilight pulled back.

“Rainbow Dash, I have a few books that I need you to get for me,” she said. Dash nodded and zoomed off. “Rarity, I need you to look around the stage props. I am going to have a list of things I need you to look out for.”

“Can I help with that? I can’t wait to see all the cool things they will have!” Pinkie Pie said, jumping up and down. Rarity shook her head but Twilight ignored her.

“Sure thing,” she said with a smile.

“Yay!” she shouted, grabbing Rarity and zooming off.

“You’re next, Sparkle!” Rarity cried out.

“Spotshine, I need you and Applejack to round up everypony who hasn’t been affected,” Twilight instructed.

“You know what’s going on?” Spotshine asked, her ears perking up.

“I have a theory but it’s not much to go on,” she admitted. “Also, Fluttershy, could you go get Zecora? I may need her help,” she said. Fluttershy nodded meekly and trotted of as Rainbow Dash reappeared.

“What books did you need?” she asked. Twilight sighed and shook her head.

“Are they always like this?” Applejack asked, looking at Spotshine. She shook her head.

“Not always, but with the illness spreading, I don’t blame them for not wanting to group together,” she said.

“Understandable,” Twilight said, looking back over her books. “Rainbow, I need you to make sure no pony leaves the area,” she said, looking up at the blue Pegasus. Rainbow Dash did a quick salute before racing up into the air.

“What was that all about?” Spotshine asked as she watched Rainbow vanish into a cloud.

“Well, Prince has a few symptoms that are familiar. Remember what happened at the Canterlot wedding?”

“You think it’s a changeling?” Spotshine gasped.

“I am not sure, but if there is one, he won’t be getting out on his own. I made sure everyone knew we are here and looking. With Rarity and Pinkie Pie busy, they won’t be forgetting either,” she said.

“But ya’ll ain’t sure, are ya, sugercube?” Applejack asked.

“No, which is why I asked Fluttershy to go get Zecora – just in case. She knows a lot more about illnesses than anypony I know. But I’ve got a fast set of wings in the air in any case,” Twilight said, looking up. “If you don’t mind, I wouldn’t mind talking to some of your other hooves, if possible,” she said, looking over at Spotshine.

“Promise no magic on them. The last thing I need is for someone else to leave for an invasion of privacy,” she said, her face written with concern.

“I know. I would still like to talk with them,” Twilight replied.

“Okay then,” she said. “We can talk to Charity first. “She works the sound booth and is an actress on occasion,” Spotshine said as she led the way to one of the trailers. Spotshine knocked on the door. It opened up a bit.

“Stories?” came a quiet voice.

“No, it’s me. Spotshine,” she said. The door opened a bit more to reveal a blonde Pegasus with a white coat. She flung her ponytail over her left shoulder as she glanced at her visitors.

“Can I help you with something?” she asked in a louder voice.

“Yeah, I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions,” Twilight said.

“Sure, I guess.”

“You wouldn’t have happened to hear any odd noise in the night, would you?” Twilight asked.

“I wouldn’t know. The area is a bit new to me so I don’t know what would be odd since we are so close to the Everfree forest,” Charity admitted. A ‘yip’ sounded from within and the white Pegasus glanced back. “That’s just my puppy,” she said with a nervous smile.

“Ah wouldn’t mind seeing the little critter,” Applejack said, thinking of her own dog, Winona.

“No, he just took a bath and it wouldn’t be good for him to get a cold,” she said quickly. Spotshine and Twilight both raised an eyebrow.

“It’s the middle of summer,” Twilight pointed out.

“He’s not coming out!” she shouted, using her wings to propel behind the door and shut it.

“Well, that was odd,” Twilight said, staring at the closed door.

“She is normally a lot friendlier,” Spotshine admitted. “Well, I guess Stories High would be next. He is my, well, he kind of does a little of everything,” Spotshine said as they headed to the neighboring trailer.

“Stories?” Spotshine asked as Applejack gently pushed the door open. They glanced in and came face to face with a desk, a mass of papers and a candle mounted on the back wall.

“Do you think he left?” Applejack asked, looking around the small trailer.

“But if I do that, it may just reveal the spoiler,” a voice said. They glanced around, trying to find the pony who spoke. “Hey, shut the door!” he shouted. They looked up to see a blonde Pegasus with a brown coat standing on the ceiling. He dropped to the ground and his mane fell lazily to the side. “Well, hello Miss Sparkle, nice to see you again,” he said with a smile.

“Huh?” Twilight asked, tilting her head.

“I work at the Canterlot Library. Well, on and off, I did a lot of the book repairs but I can understand you not remembering me,” he said with a large grin.

“Sorry,” she said with a blush.

“It’s cool. So, what can I do for three mares this late at night?” he asked with a wink.

“Well,” Applejack said, starting to blush along with the other two. Stories turned away and revealed an ink pot, quill and a few pages as his cutie mark.

“Just asking around if anypony had seen anything odd,” Twilight said.

“Besides you two and the illness affecting everyone?” he asked. “Not really. Styx has been misbehaving and quite noisy at night, but that’s nothing odd for a puppy,” he said, sitting down on a stool.

“Styx? That would be Charity’s pup, right?” Twilight asked.

“Yeah, her dog,” Stories High drawled, giving her a deadpan look.

“Well, that’s all for now,” Twilight said, exiting the trailer and shutting the door. “That was uneventful,” she said with a sigh. “I got a feeling this is going to be harder than I thought.”

“Ah don’t know, sugarcube. That Charity was a bit weird,” Applejack replied, tapping her chin.

“So, who is next?” Twilight asked.

“How about Hiphop?” Spotshine asked. “She is our stage director. Or Midnight Serenade – she does our music or leads if we are lucky enough to have more than one. Oh, and Steam Cart, he does a lot of the organization and handles the lights and sound if Charity can’t,” Spotshine listed. “Other than that, everypony else is bedridden.

“Hmm, well, I guess a few more ponies wouldn’t hurt. Hiphop seemed okay so why not Steam Cart?” Twilight said.

“Spotshine!” a voice shouted. They spun around to see a medium brown stallion with a chocolate mane and tail and a frown on his face.

“Yes, Steam Cart?” she asked, a nervous smile on her face.

“Look, I am more than happy to help but if this keeps up, I have to look out for my safety,” he said gruffly. “Who are these two?” he asked, eyeing the other two suspiciously.

“Possible new hires,” Spotshine said quickly.

“Look, ladies, I am good friends with her but with all the illness around, you would be better off just waiting before signing up. Besides, we got mostly Pegasi around here. We don’t need any more ponies to lug around,” he grunted.

“Look, I am sorry. We are trying to clear it up. Besides, I think Prince is getting better,” Spotshine said.

“That unicorn couldn’t be any help. If you weren’t so keen on his acting abilities, he would be about as useful as another hole in the head. But it’s your choice. As for me, if this doesn’t clear up soon, I am leaving,” Steam Cart said.

“I understand,” Spot said before Steam Cart stormed off.

“Ouch,” Twilight commented, wincing.

“It’s not his fault. He has been doing a lot of the heavy lifting,” she said with a sigh. “Come on, I think I hear Midnight Serenade practicing on stage.”

Oh, I bet that meanie is the first person we met. That’s how these mysteries work. I bet it was Twilight, she’s the changeling!” Pinkie Pie cried out. Rarity kept her head low as they looked around the props.

“Pinkie Pie, darling, I thought Applejack was the first person you met. Unless you saw a mirror,” Rarity said in a tired voice.

“You’re right. I must be a changeling,” she said, zipping over to a big mirror amongst all the stage props. It was rather big and thin, right next to a wooden castle that loomed over them, casting an eerie shadow. She glanced over the mirror. “Wow, I am good. I can’t believe I’m not Pinkie Pie.”

Rarity facepalmed as she looked over the area, the glow from her horn giving off some light. Then she caught a long shadow. “Oh my,” she said, as a moan came from the shadow.

“Eek! It’s a ghostie!” Pinkie Pie cried, leaping at Rarity. She froze as the pink pony latched onto her neck right as a unicorn walked in behind the curtain.

“Who’s there? I am warning … achoo!!” the figure sneezed. The two stopped as a rainbow mane and red coat appeared in the soft glow of Rarity’s magic.

“I thought everypony was bedridden if they were sick,” Rarity commented, walking up to the mare.

“Who are you?” she asked, pushing up her glasses.

“Never mind that, what are you wearing? An orange vest with red stripes?! Darling, we need to get you a new sense of style,” Rarity said.

“I’ll scream if you don’t tell me what you are doing here. We have enough problems without you stealing our supplies, you supply-stealer!” she cried out in a rather weak voice.

“We’re investigators. We’ve got to find anything that may be causing the illness. I’m Pinkie Pie,” she shouted, starting to shake the unicorn’s hoof.

“Right, look, have you seen Charity around? I need to see her,” she said.

“Charity, darling? I’m afraid not, we’ve been walking around in an endless circle looking at all these dusty things,” Rarity said, slouching a bit with each phrase.

“Oh, well, so long as it’s okay for you to be here,” she said with a shrug.

“I didn’t get your name!” Pinkie shouted.

“It’s Rainbow Wise,” she said in a low voice when Pinkie Pie suddenly looked up.

“I see you!” she cried out. The other two looked up to see a shadowed figure above them.

“Buck!” came a voice as the figure ran off.

“Come back here, you ruffian! It’s not right to spy on a lady!” Rarity cried out as Pinkie raced after the offender.

“Go, go, go,” Rainbow Dash said, sitting on the cloud. She had been very observant at first, but her boredom got to her fast.

“Ruffian!” came a shout. Rainbow sprang to attention, glancing down to see a dark shape run out of a building with Pinkie and Rarity hot on it’s heels.

“Gotcha!” Rainbow cried out, shooting down at the figure. It spread open its wings and bolted. “You’re not going anywhere!” she cried out. A pair of blue eyes widened as it noticed her. It shot up in the air, racing past her.

“Not that easy!” she cried, racing up after him, easily reaching the figure until he closed his wings and dropped back down.

“What in tarnation is going on?” Applejack cried out. Everypony began to gather in the yard, including a rainbow maned unicorn and a blue Pegasus that she had not seen before with a blue and black mane. That must be Midnight Serenade with the music writing cutie mark,” Twilight whispered to her.

“What, where is Stories High?” Spotshine shouted, the first to notice that he was not among the group.

“My fiancé!” Charity cried out as everypony looked at her.

“Seriously? This is news,” Midnight Serenade said, looking at the white mare with wide eyes. “Congrats,” she said, giving her a small hug. Charity blushed in realization of what she had blurted out.

Then there was a massive crash as Rainbow Dash landed on the blonde maned pony. The skid created a small ditch that narrowly missed the stage. “Gotcha now changeling!” Rainbow cried in victory.

“I am not a changeling!” he cried out as Twilight approached, her horn glowing. The magic hit him but nothing happened.

“He’s right,” Twilight admitted.

“Maybe now you can tell me why we got so many ponies poking around here,” he asked, glancing up at Spotshine.

“What’dya mean ‘changeling’?” Charity shouted. Everypony echoed the cry as the whole group started racing around and screaming. “We’re DOOMED!” “Run for the hills!” shouted a voice. “Mares and foals first!”

Twilight whipped her head around as everypony started blurring into shapes as panicked ponies starting screaming into the night.

“Everypony calm down! We don’t know if there is a changeling, it’s just symptoms,” Twilight cried out at the top of her lungs.

“It’s an epidemic!” came a scream. “We are all going to die!” another shouted as the other ponies began to chant.

“It’s not a – oh, these ponies. I need everyone to stop!” Spotshine shouted. Everypony froze in place.

“Oh, green light!” Pinkie Pie shouted, causing everypony to start racing around again.

“Pinkie, you are not helping,” Twilight ground out, her frustration beginning to boil over. A loud shriek forced everypony to stop and cover their ears. Then a low melody rained over the group. Twilight glanced around for the source.

Midnight Serenade had pulled out a flute and was slowly playing while everypony started to calm down. “Feel free to continue,” she said with a smile. Twilight nodded and cleared her throat.

“It’s just a theory, okay. We don’t know yet and we have an expert who will come in and see if she can help. Okay? Everypony, just head back to your trailers and keep calm. If not,” Twilight said, glancing over at Applejack.

“Ah’ll go get my rope,” she said with a grin.

“I’m game,” Stories said with a twisted grin. It only made Charity smack him upside the back of his head.

“Now then, let’s do a quick head count,” Twilight said, looking over the crowd. “Well, that looks like everypony. Nobody hurt?” she asked.

“Twilight, darling, not to be rude, but we are missing somepony. A rainbow haired mare was in the props area. She seems to have made an exit,” Rarity said, realizing they were in fact a head short.

“Rainbow Wise?” asked Spotshine. “But she’s in Canterlot organizing our next get together.” Nopony moved but to glanced at each other. Dash shot into the air and Applejack looked to Twilight.

“Got any spells?” she asked. Twilight shook her head.

“I got nothing,” she admitted.

“Worth a shot,” Applejack said while Twilight looked around.

“I do have a quick spell. Sorry, but it’s just to be sure the changeling isn’t with us,” she said. Nopony said anything as Twilight did a quick scan.

“Okay, we need to get this changeling out of here. So, here is how this is going to work. Twilight, you stay here with Applejack and the other Earth ponies. Anyone comes back, gets the spell. Everypony with wings head out and round up the others. Since it’s a changeling, they should be okay after a few days away from it. That is right, isn’t it?” Spotshine asked Twilight. She nodded her head in confirmation.

“Yes, ma’am,” Stories said, giving a quick salute.

“Keep in sight of everypony!” Twilight called out after them while Rainbow Dash led everypony out.

Dash dropped back down and set a pony on the ground. She raced back off, returning with another pony each time. All the while, those well enough kept an eye out for the shape shifter. Finally, she dropped onto the stage and cleared her throat. “Taking role call!” she shouted after a minute of catching her breath, stopping the mindless chatter.

“Stories, this is bad. Styx, he’s missing!” Charity cried, racing up to Stories with teary eyes. “He got out when we all panicked and I accidentally left my trailer door open!”

“Oh boy,” Stories sighed, looking at her wide-eyed, like a deer frozen in place.

“Where is the little doggie?” Pinkie Pie asked. Everypony was ready to start looking for the missing critter.

“Wait!” Charity cried out. “He’s not a dog. He’s a timberwolf pup,” she admitted sheepishly. At the admission, everypony slowly mirrored Stories High.

“Pardon?” Applejack asked, looking at the white mare.

“When I was little, I found him. He thinks I am his mother and I have no idea where he would go,” she said, clearly worried as she glanced around.

“Well, I got a feeling he’s after our intruder,” Midnight Serenade replied. “He started being noisy not to long before ponies began to feel ill,” she reminded as the cast nodded.

“I know where he is!” Pinkie cried out suddenly. “Pinkie dinkie doooo!” she cried, racing off into the direction of the forest.

“Pinkie!” Twilight shouted. “Don’t,” she started but Pinkie hopped along with Charity who was clearly happy to have a direction.

Pinkie Pie bounced along, nearly everypony racing after and doing their best to keep up. “Ahhoooo!” came a long cry and Charity perked up.

“Styx, my little puppy, where are you?” she cried out.

“You know, it’s times like these when I think you like dogs more than me,” Stories said as he lowered his head.

“Hey, it could be worse,” Midnight said with a smile. Stories looked at her for an explanation. “She could be my fiancée,” she said, trotting after the group.

“Fluttershy?” Twilight questioned after coming upon the weirdest scene ever. There was a small timberwolf pup, maybe a head and a half shorter than the yellow Pegasus, and it was snuggled up next to her. The poor pony was frozen stiff from the contact, shivering in fear as she tried to keep her lower lip from trembling. But what was even weirder was the treed changeling, shaking as it tried to claw into the bark.

“I guess the fear of a timberwolf is pretty universal,” Twilight said, partly amused by the situation.

“Styx!” Charity cried. The timberwolf jumped up and raced to the white mare, leaping up to lick her face.

“So, darling, what are we going to do with the changeling?”

“Not sure. We should alert Princess Celestia and see what she has to say,” Twilight said, looking up at the creature.

“So does that mean we get to see the play?” Pinkie Pie asked, shooting up into Spotshine’s face.

“Well, we may need some extra help, but I think we should be good,” Spotshine said, smiling. It felt as if a massive weight had just been taken off her shoulders.

“I know just who to ask,” Pinkie said, rubbing her hooves together. Everypony glanced at each other, a little confused.

“To be, or not to be!” Rarity cried out on stage. The play had carried through and Princess Celestia had arrived and was sitting next to Twilight.

“Well, had an interesting night I take it?” Princess Celestia asked as the timberwolf puppy raced up and looked up at her.

“You might say that,” Twilight chucked as Styx began to howl into the night.

“AAAAHHHOOOOO!!!!”

Author's Note:

Well there it is I tried to create a story in the same vein of a normal episode, and with a little time I plan to have a lot more illustrations from a good friend http://spotshine.deviantart.com/ she has very little work online cause she is lazy. But she has books filled with Drawings so spam her message boards she should get the hint. . She let me know she will be adding in some extra pictures so when she gets them done we will have more pictures in as well. Each Oc is actually based on some one and Stories High just made his second Appearance yay. I may add new chapters but if I do it will only be about the Oc characters. Enjoy.

Comments ( 2 )

I like that it was mutually agreed that all six of Twilight's friends were going out to enjoy themselves rather than just the ponies...until Spike just disappeared after one line and was never seen again.

Comment posted by MidnightSerenade deleted Sep 11th, 2013
Login or register to comment