• Published 6th Sep 2013
  • 644 Views, 3 Comments

Midnight Sweets - Karma22



Rarity attempts to get some sleep.

  • ...
1
 3
 644

When Strangers Come a-knockin'

Midnight Sweets

-A 60 minute story-

To say that Rarity was as delicate a sleeper as her insistence on keeping a respectable public image would be an understatement. To say that Rarity REALLY REALLY cared about her beauty sleep, possibly more than her family, would be debatable. To say that Rarity had no tolerance for those who would dare take away her hours would be... well, fairly accurate.

And such is why, when Rarity heard a suspicious tap-tapping in her room and removed her mask to see that it was still, in fact, the middle of the night, Rarity was less than pleased. She peeked around the moonlit room, squinting through the darkness for something she had no clue of, before sighing and putting her sleep mask back on.

Rarity sighed happily, melting back into her specially-made comforter and imported pillows, allowing sleep to overcome her.

Tap Tap

Or that would have been the plan, if that noise hadn’t persisted. Rarity sat up fully, uttering a few rather unladylike grunts. She once again took off her mask, eyes darting around her bedroom. Once again, there was nothing.

Do I have... mice? Rarity shivered at the thought. No no, of course not. Carousel Boutique is the symbol of tidiness. Nevertheless, Rarity used her magic to reach out for her lamp, bathing the room in sweet light. The unicorn placed her sleep mask on the drawer by her bed, carefully placing her hooves on the floor and standing up. Rarity glanced over to her dresser, and winced at her reflection in the mirror.

Rarity sighed. Might as well look presentable if I will be staying up. She trotted over, still in her robe, and took a moment to brush her absolutely dreadful mane into, while certainly not her fabulous day time look, a much better state. She contemplated the point of applying her usual makeup when-

Tap Tap

-that dreadful noise reminded her of its presence. She gritted her teeth and glanced around the room, before her attention was drawn to the window. She stared silently at the glass for what seemed like an eternity in its own right, before-

Tap Tap

Rarity blinked. “What? What dreadful pony would throw rocks at my Boutique?” The unicorn frowned, rushing over to the window. Oh she’d give this ruffian a piece of her mind, that’s for sure! The white pony pushed the window open and stuck her head outside. “Alright, who’s the-Ah!” Rarity gasped in shock as she was pelted by pebbles. It didn’t really hurt, but slamming her head against the window sill as she flinched backwards certainly did.

“Oops, sorry Rarity!” a distinct, yet familiarly squeaky voice called up to the pained mare. Rarity grimaced, absolutely certain she’d feel that in the morning-well, technically it might have already been morning- and partly wishing that the blow had knocked her out as she realized who the voice, usually a cheerful and well-invited symphony and now a painful buzz in her tired senses, belonged to.

“It’s... quite alright, Pinkie dear. I’ll be down in a moment.” the mare stated, giving a pained smile down at the pink party pony who was grinning sheepishly back up at her. Pinkie nodded and trotted over to where the front door was. Had Rarity been less annoyed, she may have noticed the pink pony’s unwelcome slouch and the tired, dim look in her own usually expressive eyes. Regardless, the fashionista took a moment to brush her hair, and decided she may as well put some makeup on.

After that, Rarity, who was only slightly more awake at this point, made her way downstairs. She opened the door to an oddly nervous looking Pinkie, garbed in a childish set of far too colorful pajamas, complete with a nightcap. The two ponies stared at each other for what felt like an hour. Rarity frowned as Pinkie gave a too-wide smile. “Hi, Rarity!” the pink pony squeaked out, finally.

Rarity sighed. “Come in, Pinkie dear.” she stated, trotting over to the kitchen to prepare some tea for the both of them, Pinkie following close behind. The sleepy fashionista set the kettle on, just a bit unnerved by Pinkie’s silence. Finally, she floated two fresh cups of tea to the table and sat, taking a sip of her own cup.

Pinkie slid onto the seat across from Rarity, looking... lost and frightened, the unicorn would have used both words to describe the scene. Even as she sipped her own tea and seemed to settle down, Pinkie refused to talk. Now Rarity was concerned.

“Pinkie, darling, what’s wrong?” Rarity asked. Still Pinkie was silent. Her words seemed to make things worse, the pink pony retreating into her seat. Was she blushing? “Pinkie... please. You know I love your company, but surely you know this time is reserved for sleep. What happened?” the unicorn reached over, putting a hoof over Pinkie’s.

“I...” Pinkie bit her lip, looking away. She seemed embarrassed. Rarity stroked her hoof, urging her to go on. “I-I couldn’t sleep, Rarity! I had a nightmare and it was really scary and then I couldn’t get back to sleep and then I tried to do stuff to get my mind off of it and Mrs. Cake got upset and now I-” Rarity put a hoof to Pinkie’s mouth, stopping the party pony.

Rarity took a deep breath, now fairly upset. Fortunately, Pinkie seems to have gotten her talkative side back. Unfortunately, it was passed midnight and Pinkie seems to have gotten her talkative side back. “A nightmare, then?” Pinkie nodded, giving muffled squeals through the hoof in her mouth. “And why did you come here?” the unicorn asked, removing her hoof.

“Well there was that one time we all had nightmares and then had a slumber party to get rid of the nightmares and I know you kinda went to space after all that but I think-” the rest of Pinkie’s statement was muffled by Rarity’s hoof once more. The fashionista certainly didn’t want to recall her worst moments at such a late hour. She looked away from Pinkie and her bright pajamas, thinking to herself.

With a sigh, she turned back towards Pinkie. “I am far too tired for games, Pinkie. You can stay over until the Cakes decide to let you back in, but I will be sleeping, and you must respect that.” Rarity dictated, “Sweetie is not here. So you may use the guest room. However, I ask that you do not make a mess-and stop licking my hoof!” the unicorn squealed, washing her hoof in the sink and promising to fit a spa day into her schedule as fast as she can.

Pinkie nodded, oblivious to Rarity’s discomfort. “Okie dokie Rarity! You won’t even know I’m here!” the pink pony stated, saluting with a serious expression... before giggling at herself. Rarity smiled just a little bit, happy to see that her friend seemed to have recovered from her sour mood.

A nightmare. It was just a nightmare. Pinkie being Pinkie. I can go back to sleep now. Rarity sighed whimsically at the concept. The two ponies went upstairs to the second floor of Carousel Boutique, Pinkie singing goodnight to Rarity as she retreated into Sweetie’s vacant room, the unicorn herself washing off her makeup and climbing into her all-too-inviting bed. The tired white unicorn placed her sleep mask over her eyes and let herself drift off.

~~~~

Rarity was roused from her slumber once again. Sweet Celestia, why. Rarity grumbled to herself, the concept of getting up for some inane reason for the second time in one night not at all appealing to her. She contemplated wishing all of the ponies in Ponyville away, for just one night, so she could get her rest. Instead she decided to just lie in bed and pretend she didn’t hear the squeaks of the door opening and closing, didn’t hear the hoofsteps closing in, or smell pastries and gunpowder right next to her.

“Rarity?” Pinkie whispered. Rarity gave a classy grunt in response. Pinkie smiled shyly, not that Rarity could see. “I... I had the nightmare again...” the pink pony stated sadly. Her figure and disposition was arguably much worse off than Rarity’s. Her eyes were red with exhaustion and tears, and her mane was down in a stringy mess that may have made Rarity faint if she saw it, or was even awake enough to acknowledge it. “C-Can I sleep in here, with you? I-I promise I won’t wake you up again.”

“Muh...” Rarity muffled into her pillow. Pinkie smiled, taking that as a yes and climbing into Rarity’s comforter.

“Thanks, bed buddy!” Pinkie exclaimed, eliciting a groan from Rarity. Pinkie blushed, “Oops, thank you, bed buddy.” the pink pony corrected in a gentle whisper, stroking Rarity’s side as she slipped back into her slumber. Pinkie smiled, putting a foreleg around the dozing unicorn and nuzzling into her form, sighing contently.

Pinkie finally went to a deep, peaceful sleep, free of nightmares until morning.

~END~

Author's Note:

I dunno. Would this count as Romance? They don't kiss or anything and I just did this to see how much I could do in an hour... Oh well.

Comments ( 3 )

Well this is interesting. Hmm...I feel like it should progress, I know it will in my mind!

I wanna know what Pinkie's nightmare was that was so scary

This was nice. Very cute.

Login or register to comment