• Published 5th Sep 2013
  • 1,910 Views, 20 Comments

Nightmare Empire - devil001



what if Nightmare Moon beat Celestia over a thousand years ago, how would the world we know and love b different?

  • ...
4
 20
 1,910

Rise of the Equestrian Empire pt.4

As everyone raced into the castle after Rainbow Dash they suddenly stopped at they found themselves in a large room with what could have been a fancy fountain in the middle of it, looking around everyone found themselves imagining would the whole castle must have looked like back when it was used and well looked after.

"So, where do we start looking for the Elements?" Dash asked as she landed

"I'm not sure, Celestia and Luna knew of their power and would have hidden them so no pony could steal them. But each Element would have some kind of symbol on them" Twilight remembered back to the two books she'd read on the Elements, and neither of them told her what they looked like when Empress Moon used them.

"You mean like these?" Pinkie asked as she bounced on top of the stone spheres and used a hoof full of her mane to clean off the dirt and grime revealing a triangle on it

"Are those? They can't be" Twilight looked from each stone and saw they all bore a symbol on them, it was possible that when Empress Moon had banished Celestia she had just left them for everypony to see, to let them know what it was that helped make the Empire and if needed, had a weapon that could banish their foes. "Bring them down, gently"

flying up Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash gently picked up the large stone orbs and put them in a circle on the ground, with one exception

"Five? But there are supposed to be six, the book I read in Canterlot said there are six elements and if they're not together they can't be used" Twilight looked desperately from one pony to another, they'd come so close and gone through so much to get here and now they couldn't do anything as the last element was missing, possibly hidden by Empress Moon a thousand years ago so no one could use them.

"Are you sure they won't work with only five?" Dash suggested as she hovered over the stones "How do we get these ones to work?"

"I don't know, I just don't know" Twilight sighed as she sat down. She had the knowledge of hundreds of spells and thousands of books in her head she'd been learning since she was a filly, she knew of customs of societies across the world and spoke over a dozen languages, dead and alive. But why, why did she know so little about these? Why had the Empress not prepared her? Perhaps she had, in the spells and the books she'd learned and memorised, there were locater spells and summoning spells, even spells to replace items that had been lost or broken, one of them had to work. "I'm going to try something, several things, but I don't know if they'll work or what will happen if they do"

"Stand back everypony, give Twilight all the room she needs" Applejack ordered, watching as Twilight closed her eyes and her horn began to glow, wrapping her magic around one, then three, then all five of the orbs. Suddenly a bright burst of light filled the whole room, forcing them to cover their eyes from the blinding light.

Even with her eyes closed Twilight had to cover them with her hoof, opening one slightly she saw Celestia standing before her and the orbs floating around her, wrapped in her own magic. As the light began to suck itself back into Celestia Twilight jumped at her and as the light disappeared so did they.

*

Feeling herself land roughly Twilight opened her eyes to find herself in a different room, and for Celestia to be placing the orbs on the floor with her back turned on Twilight. Getting on her hooves as quietly as she could Twilight aimed her horn at Celestia and focused, sending out a blast of magic at Celestia made to hold and bind her until she figured out a way to use the Elements.

As the magic got closer Celestia turned and swatted the magic back at Twilight with her wing, who was unable to dodge it and was caught by her own spell, her legs becoming bound together and her mouth tied shut. Toppling over Twilight struggled for a few moments before she realised Celestia was watching her, glaring back at her Twilight relaxed and cut off her magic, the bonds instantly disappeared allowing her to stand back up.

"What is your name?" Celestia asked as she looked at Twilight, the young pony's anger etched onto her face troubled her, a thousand years ago so few ponies held such looks.

"I am the personal student of Empress Moon, favoured and most trusted pony of the court. I have mastered a thousand spells and I will master a thousand more, I have read and memorised books and tomes forgotten by others. I am Twilight Sparkle and I demand your respect."

Celestia stood unfazed by Twilight's speech and glare, simply looking at her with interest. Twilight watched back, her spell had easily been reflected back at her which meant Twilight had been right; Celestia was still powerful. though what bothered Twilight was that Celestia had done nothing when she'd been bound, it was the opportune moment to knock her out or use her own magic on her.

"My sister took a student? Why?" Celestia asked, watching as Twilight did her best to hide her surprise that she had been asked a question

"I am sure Empress Moon has taken many student in the past thousand years, she says I have a great power in me and I need to learn to control it, to control magic, perfectly" Twilight watched as Celestia thought about her answer, waiting for the oppertune moment to strike.

She remembered years ago when she had been Empress Moon's student for less than a year. she had been sitting beside Empress Moon as they watched the army's annual contests, which covered all abilities the soliders would have from flying manoeuvrability to speed, magical precision shot to strongest magical blasts, and of course, physical abilities. She had been amazed how an older pony, which by all rights should have lost in the first round of hoof-to-hoof combat, but proceeded to win round after round. Having no real aptitude for fighting herself she'd needed it explaining to her, and was told that even though the pony was older and most likely weaker than the younger ponies, he had years of fighting experience that allowed him to intuitively know what his opponent was going to do.

Twilight knew she had to wait till Celestia's guard was down, she needed to surprise her and gain the advantage that way, the only way available to her at the moment.

"To train a powerful pony into a loyal ally was a smart move on my sister's part, though I must admit I thought her madness would have you locked away or destroyed" Celestia watched as Twilight's glare become scathing hatred

"My Empress is not mad, through her leadership the Equestrian Empire had grown in size and strength, under your rule we were weak, but under hers we are strong" Twilight had to force herself not to attack, she had to wait or else she'd only be hurt.

"So that's how far your loyalty reaches, though I wonder if you will still be so loyal if you knew my true sister, before she became what she is now"

"I don't need to know who she was, I know who she is. She is the Empress of the strongest Empire in the history of this world, and we have become an unstoppable force. You would have shielded us against the creatures of the world where your sister gave us the shield and spear to face them, to let all know that if you are not with us you are against us, and we crush all that stands against us" Twilight fired at Celestia, her anger getting the better of her and making her attack too soon. Celestia put a powerful barrier around herself and watched as Twilight's blast simply bounced off and hit a wall, creating a large hole.

"There are more ways to ensure the lives of your citizens than to make war with everything. you can have peaceful lives by making trade agreements and peace treaties, this way no one need die for something they need and all can stand together as one" Celestia knew it would be no easy task to convince Twilight to see things from her point of view, but considering how everyone acted when the unicorn had told them to attack they all knew who she was, and if she were to stand by herside then others might listen.

"You gave to others that which was not theirs, you gave up ponies homes and food just to avoid a simple fight, I read it in Princess Luna's diary. She wrote how you would not listen and made the world think we were just some creatures to get easy food and materials from, I've read the records of the time and I know that the army could have easily driven off any attackers" Twilight needed a new plan, she knew that Celestia wouldn't drop her guard now, she'd just be waiting for the next outburst and she hadn't been able to make her move from the spot she was standing in, or was it Celestia didn't want to move? She was the only thing between Twilight and the Elements, which must mean she was afraid Twilight would use them somehow to defeat her, despite there being only five Elements.

"History is written by the victors. Did Luna's diary also say the land I traded away was too harsh for ponies to live in? That we could not cultivate the land or that the beasts were too wild and no pony could survive? The land I traded was for land we could live and grow in, I gave away metals and minerals so others could rebuild their homes and land, and in return we would have gotten supplies and medicines the we could not grow or make ourselves. By showing trust and offering help, Twilight Sparkle, others in turn will offer help when it is needed, you do not need war to make peace" Celestia could tell Twilight was planning something, another attack maybe but not a frontal one she was too clever to try it again, the logical choice for fighting someone stronger than yourself was to distract them.

"By making others part of the Empire and helping them prosper, by making them part of something greater, there is peace. The Equestrian Empire rules the lands and the sky, east to west so the sun never truly sets upon it. We do not need to make war now because all know that if we offer to make you a part of the Empire then you join, or else you face the full force of our might." The only Element missing was Magic, and if Celestia knew where it was she would have gotten it first to make sure no one else stumbled upon it. Perhaps if she could get the five to work the sixth would come by itself, the only thing she could try to do right now was to give them a burst of magic and hope it worked.

"But are they equals, or mere slaves forced to work? How do you know if they plan to sabotage or rebel against you, to end their oppression" Celestia could sense Twilight was going to do something, make her attack at an unexpected angle after some kind of distraction.

"What would be the point of fighting against us? Even if an entire town or city rebels they will have to face the whole army of the Empire. when they are made part of the Empire we search for the best job for them. All who are of the Empire are part of something bigger than themselves and are thankful to have something to help focus their lives, and no matter what you say or do we shall never accept you as our ruling monarch." Charging forwards Twilight saw Celestia was surprised slightly, obviously not expecting her attack head-on but she quickly got her composure back. As Twilight ran towards her her horn began to glow, charging with power as Celestia stood perfectly still with her own horn glowing, planning somekind of defence.

Once Twilight was close enough she unleashed her spell, a bright light filling the room and momentarily blinding Celestia as Twilight ran past her and leapt to the Elements. "I hope this works" Twilight said to herself as she closed her eyes and focused her magic onto the stone orbs, feeding some of her magic into them.

"STOP"

Suddenly Twilight felt herself lift up off the ground, opening her eyes she saw she was inside a bright yellow bubble, looking at Celestia she could just see the magic around her horn. Struggling Twilight couldn't break the sphere proving it was more than a bubble but an actual barrier she'd placed around her. Twilight saw the Elements start to move as she was forced away from them and placed back where she had been standing, the barrier still being held but the bottom removing itself she she was actually standing on the floor.

As the Elements moved around Celestia Twilight saw she held a scared look, they floated around her in a circle with magic slowly moving one to another, connecting them. But suddenly the magic faulted, unable to finish the connection due to the missing Element. Slowly the spheres lost the magic and dropped out of the air, smashing into pieces as they hit the ground.

"NO" Twilight cried out pushing against the barrier to no avail, hitting her hoofs against it as hard as she could and shooting blast after blast of magic but nothing she did worked, Celestia's magic was too strong.

Panting Twilight collapsed onto the floor as she knew what it meant; after everything she and the others had been through, the last day, the last ten years of her life, the last thousand years were all going to fall apart like glass shattering and there was nothing she could do. Empress Moon would be locked away at least a thousand years if not for all eternity, the Empire would break apart as lesser, unworthy ponies tried to take leadership and the world would fight to get their own scraps of the Empire.

All because of her.

Twilight didn't care about Celestia anymore, she didn't care if she was kept in the barrier for the rest of her days. The most important pony in the world to her was gone and she would never see her again, she was all alone again like when her parents died and her brother was shipped out after he was drafted. Twilight felt the tears roll down her face as she openly wept, not caring what Celestia thought of her or what she had to say, nothing mattered any more.

Celestia looked at the broken fragments of the Elements at her feet, she could hear Twilight sob as she dropped the barrier. The little pony that had so much fire and passion in her a few seconds ago was now only filled with sadness and tears, she had seen it before in the past and knew it was not her place to try and offer any comforting words. Instead she focussed on what was left of the Elements, she knew their power was great and unstoppable when used but only if they found their bearers. "Has the world become so full of fear and hatred that there is nothing for them to use?" Celestia asked aloud "maybe they will return in time, when the world is full of love, respect and friendship once again"

Celestia's words rang hollow to Twilight's ears, before she would have screamed at her and fought her but now there was no point, nothing and no one to fight for. She didn't want to see the Empire fall apart, she just wanted to curl up and die.

Twilight's ears started twitching, their was a faint noise just quiet enough she could hear it but not understand it. It was quickly getting closer, it sounded like a voice, no, several voices. They all kept saying the same thing over and over, the sounded familiar until finally they were in the room with her, looking up she saw Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash and Rarity standing there looking at her, calling her name with worried and panicked looks on their faces and she felt something, something she didn't think she'd feel again; She felt happy, she was glad they'd found her.

"Twilight you okay?" Applejack asked as they ran over to her

"Did Celestia hurt you?" Dash asked as she placed herself between Twilight and Celestia

"Are you hurt anywhere?" Fluttershy asked as she wiped away Twilight's tears

"Do you need help standing?" Rarity asked, her horn glowing and ready to lift Twilight up if need be

"This isn't a fun party, but I can change that" Pinkie manically giggled as she stood next to Dash and reached into her mane before pulling out a small grenade.

Twilight slowly stood up as she looked at her friends, then faced Celestia "you think love, respect and friendship doesn't exist in the Empire? What about the love for ones family, and the respect to others who can do things you can't. As for friendship, I have known of you less than two days and I say you, Celestia Fallen Princess of the Sun, have never been more wrong."

Twilight strode out in front of Celestia and glared at her with a new passion and fire, the fallen princess had no clue, no comprehension of what the Empire did not just for ponies but for all in it.

"Growing up I thought I had no need of it, that alone I could serve the Empire and my Empress to my full abilities. But I was wrong, the Empire is strong because it unites all and has us working together, and by being alone I was weakening myself. You think it will take a thousand years for the bearers to come? You are wrong Celestia, the bearers are the ponies, my friends, standing in front of you now"

Turning Twilight smiled at her friends as she easily remembered how they had each helped her and each other through out the day.

"Applejack, with her honesty had me trust her when I was in peril. Fluttershy with her kindness saved us from the Manticore. Pinkie had us laugh in the face of danger and defeat our fear. Rarity with her generocity by giving up that which she held dear to her heart to help the troubled. Rainbow Dash with her loyalty to her friends and to herself."

Turning back to face Celestia Twilight stood as tall and proud as she could. "And I, with the knowledge of a hundred spells and a thousand books and the ability to utalies them all, am the bearer of magic"
Everyone saw as the broken Element pieces started to shudder and float into the air, moving to each pony and circling around them, lifting them up off the ground
"It might not be your idea of friendship or respect or even love Celestia, but this isn't your world and we will make sure you never get it"

Each shard glew brightly as it moved onto the ponies, glowing bright as each one took a new shape and placed itself around its new bearer. Each shot a beam of light into air and they joined, making and revealing the sixth element which lowered itself down to Twilight and began glowing itself, taking a new shape.
Celestia watched in surprise and horror as the lights grew brighter and joined together, two large twisting rainbows shooting from the top joined together and rushed towards her. Screaming and trying to place a barrier around herself Celestia watched as the rainbow engulfed her.

As suddenly as it came the light disappeared and each pony was lowered to the ground, groaning they slowly picked themselves up. "Is everypony alright?" Twilight asked

"Ah reckon, though I feel I been at Granny Smith's special cider" Applejack groaned as she rubbed her head

"Oh my goodness" Rarity gasped loudly "this is amazing, it's fantastic, it's gorgeous"

"Oh Rarity, it's so lovely" Fluttershy smiled as Rarity posed to show it off

"I know, I'll never part with it again" Rarity said cheerfully as she rubbed her tail against her cheek, not one hair was out of place and it was as soft as she remembered

"No, your necklace, it looks just like your Cutie Mark" Fluttershy pointed out, watching as Rarity looked at it then her cutie mark

"Why so does yours" Rarity pointed out

"Look at mine look at mine" Pinkie shouted as she bounced around, showing it off to Applejack

"Aw yeah, finally got a necklace that's as cool as I am" Dash smiled as she stood proudly, puffing her chest out so everyone could see it

"Twilight, did you mean what you said?" Applejack asked as they looked at Twilight's crown

"Yes I did, I thought I could do everything by myself to help the Empress and the Empire. But going through everything today, all of you helping me, each other and overcoming each trial showed me I was wrong. To help not only the Empress, the Empire and myself, I'm going to need my friends to help me"

"Indeed you will, my most faithful student" a voice rang out, outside the window everypony saw the sun setting and as the moon rose a black whisp flew in through the window, in a flash of light it was replaced with Nightmare Moon's majestic figure, her wings stretched to their fullest as the moon light poured in from behind her.

"My Empress" Twilight cried out in joy as the others bowed, running up to her Twilight stopped just short and bowed before her

"I knew you would find the new bearers of the Elements, and release me from my imprisonment" Nightmare Moon watched as Twilight looked up from her bow with a wide smile and pride on her face, to be quickly be replaced with confusion

"But, you gave me so little information. I had to search everywhere for more than what was in your diary" Twilight couldn't understand why she had been given so little for such an important task, she dared not think again about what would have happened should she failed

"My student, in all the years I have been teaching have I ever given you everything you need to know when teaching you spell, or learning a new custom or language?" Nightmare Moon asked with an amused look on her face."I gave you just enough for you to solve the puzzle yourself. I have known about your magical potential ever since we first met, and as you studied under me I saw your inquisitive mind grow and learn. I knew of my sisters return long before I mentioned it to you my student, and I knew you would be the pony to find the Elements again. But you let the pride of being my favourite, personal student blind you from the true meaning of the Empire and let none but myself get close to you. All in the Empire stand together, and as long as one stands we are Legion"

Looking around the room Nightmare Moon looked each new bearer over, scanning them and seeing the new shapes the Elements had taken.

"I knew you would brave the dangers of the Everfree Forest" she continued "and I knew my subjects would never let the one pony who knew how to release me go by herself. Feel pride this day ponies, for you have proven to be some of the Empires greatest citizens"

Nightmare Moon saw the pride and joy take to their faces instantly, turning she looked at the spot where Celestia had been standing and now in her place lay a smaller white alicorn, no bigger than an average pony, with a long, soft pink mane. Celestia, weakened, stripped of her powers completely and defeated. It was a pleasing sight. "Now what to do with my sister?"

*

"And now citizens of the Equestrian Empire, though it was delayed and thanks to much diligence, I present you our Empress, Empress Moon" Mayor Mare turned and bowed with the rest of the Town Hall as the curtains were pulled back and revealed, in the dress Rarity had designed and made for her, Empress Moon who stepped forwards as the birds sang their song.

"Arise citizens" Empress Moon called out in her royal voice so it echoed through the hall, scaring away the birds and making a few ponies and guards who had not heard it before jump at its loudness. "I present to you the new bearers of the Elements of Harmony, and the ponies who released me from my imprisonment, Lieutenant Applejack, Corporal Pinkamina Pie, Animal Trainer Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Rarity and my personal student Twilight Sparkle."

As each pony stepped on stage the Town Hall erupted in cheers, stamping of hooves, cries from the Griffons and clapping from the Minatours. As Empress Moon spread her wings the cheers died down until the hall was silent again. "Let it be known, that on this day, my sister Celestia, ex-princess of the sun, tried to imprison me and take my throne. But with the power of the Elements of Harmony and their new bearers, she was defeated and I was released to take my rightful place once again, and I say on this day, the celebration of one thousand years of the Equestrian Empire, we stand stronger than ever and let there be no doubt in any ones mind that we shall not, nor ever be, defeated"

Cheers erupted even louder through out the hall again, every pony, Griffon and Minatuar cheering at the top of their voices as any creature that could play picked up their musical instrument and started playing, eventually all joining into one loud, long unrehearsed tune.

Twilight smiled as she looked out at the crowd celebrating, her friends joining in the festivities as she just watched, her smile faltering as a thought occurred to her. After the celebrations are done she would be going back to Canterlot and back to her studies, spells and following Empress Moon to various important meetings and celebrations. What would happen to the Elements? Their friendship? The Empress could easily set them up in Canterlot but they all had lives here; Applejack had her family and farm, the city was no place to raise and train military animals, who knew what Pinkie would do with her explosives and Rainbow Dash would most likely try to sneak back into the army. The only one that would fit right in would be Rarity, but she'd have more competition in the city, plus she would have to leave often to find jewel mines. Then there was her own schedule, she would barely have any, if any at all, time to see her friends.

"What is the problem Twilight? Something troubles you"

Twilight jumped slightly as Empress Moon appeared next to her "it has just occurred to me my Empress, I will soon be leaving to head back to Canterlot and I'll have to leave my friends behind, they have lives here and wouldn't do nearly as well in the city. I cannot help but wonder what will happen to our friendship, and the Elements"

"It is true that they cannot pack up their lives here and move to Canterlot but nor can the bearers be separated from each other. The Elements of Harmony are only as strong as the bonds of the users." Nightmare Moon watched Twilight closely, wanting to catch every big and little reaction to what she was going to say next. "Therefore Twilight Sparkle you shall stay in Ponyville and strengthen your bonds, only returning to Canterlot on my order"

Twilight nodded as she understood, it was better to move one pony than five after all, but then it hit her. "On your order? You mean..."

"Yes my student, you must stay here unless I summon you. The only thing that takes precident over strengthening your friend is my orders, is that understood?" Nightmare Moon watched as the disbelief and incomprehension covered Twilight's face as the realisation of what was happening hit her

"But what of my studies? I still have so many spells to learn and books to read"

"I thought you would know by now, reading books is no substitute for life experience. You will stay here and learn while I return to Canterlot, along with the Elements" Nightmare Moon enjoyed watching Twilight's discomfort, the young pony had been so dependent on her for so many years and now she was forcing her away.

"You're taking the Elements with you?"

"Of course my student, they must be protected. We cannot allow such valuable and important items of the Empire be in a place of such low security, only Canterlot has the appropriate level to protect them properly. You understand yes?"

"Yes, my Empress" Twilight bowed, her voice full of defeat

"Good, now I must return to Canterlot to quell any rumours of my disapearence from the court. I shall have your things sent to your new abode" turning to leave Nightmare Moon smiled as she heard Twilight say

"Any way I can serve, my Empress"

Leaving the Town Hall and climbing into her carriage Nightmare Moon smiled, her green eyes glowing and teeth shining in the darkness of the cabin "oh you will serve me well, my student. The sense of loss, the feeling of rejection and abandonment, your nightmares will be as sweet as your first month with me. Don't get over it too quickly my student, the war is still a while away yet and I will have my dessert before the main course."

Inside the Town Hall Twilight stepped off the stage and, with head lowered, silently walked through it ignoring all food, drink and dance offers, it wasn't until she reached the doors when she heard Rarity did she look up.

"Twilight where are you going? The party has only just begun and ...is something wrong?" She asked as she saw the gloomy look on Twilight's face

"Yes, well, no. The Empress says I am to move to Ponyville to strengthen my friendship with you all, and so the powers of the Elements are strong" Twilight tried to but on a happy face but felt her face stay as it was, as if made from stone.

"Well that's good ain't it?" Applejack asked as Twilight's face didn't exactly fill her with confidence she was happy to be moving.

"Of course it is, I'll be able to see you all everyday, and the Empress says I must gain life experience in using my spells and not just practise them from books. And as such she says ...she says unless she summons me, I'm not allowed back to Canterlot. If you'll excuse me girl I have to practise my spells"

The group watched as Twilight walked away, even Dash was so shocked she stopped hovering in the air and landed next to the small group.

"Is it just me, or did it sound like the Empress just banished Twilight?" Dash asked

*

Over the last thousand years Nightmare Moon had learned to be patient, more patient than any other pony. She had to be for her stealth missions to work during the wars, for peace treaties to be signed and not to mention her long term plans to come to fruition.
But now she had her sister, powerless and weak, in the dungeons beneath her and she wanted to see her, to gloat and laugh in her face.
But she had so much to do first, it would surprise anybody how fast ponies would try to claim her throne, as soon as there was confirmation of her disappearance Generals and noble houses competed for it.

When Nightmare Moon had returned she wasn't surprised to find out the Blue Blood family had been the first to fill the position, or the first to step aside and bow to her. If it were any other family she would keep an eye on them but the Blue Blood's were amongst the most loyal in her Empire, besides, though they would fight each other for the throne everypony knew there was only one true ruler of the Equestrian Empire.

After the moot argument had been done away with and allegiance had been sworn again Nightmare Moon had to make sure her long-term plans were still in motion, she was glad to see she had a reply from her new citizens of the deep, whom said they would keep the waters calm as they crossed to the north. Though filled with scattered rumours her long-term plans were still moving along, slow enough no other pony noticed but quick enough so she knew they were still active.

It was only after she received the final note that Nightmare Moon concluded her official business for the day, now she could visit the dungeons and finally see her sister. As she entered the guards were, as always, at attention. She expected Celestia trying to persuade the guards to join her but there wasn't even so much as a whimper coming for Celestia's cell.
As she looked in on Celestia she saw her older sister simply sitting on the blanket that had been provided, motioning to the guards they simply saluted and left without saying a word and closed the door.

"You are undone" Nightmare Moon smiled maliciously, Celestia simply watching her "everything you dreamed for Equestria is impossible for you, or already done by me. No pony of my empire will listen to your pleading and those outside it know that it is impossible to fight me. You have no friends, no allies and no power to help you. Big. Sister" Nightmare Moon chuckled as she stepped through the bars, her body becoming smoke as she did.

"You watched my dreams?" Celestia simply asked as she looked up at her now bigger, young sister.

"As was my duty" Nightmare Moon hissed, her eyes flaring bright green for a second "everynight, dreaming of peace across the world. Every creature helping one another and cheering for you as you stood on the balcony looking down on them" her mane began to grow and snake to the floor, moving towards Celestia who didn't move "do you know what I didn't see? Me standing next to you. My name not being cheered along with yours, being forgotten as all loved and adored you"
Nightmare Moon's mane wrapped around Celestia's hooves and snaked up her body, slowly twisting itself around her neck.
"Do you know what I saw when I looked in on 'our' subjects? You. Nothing but you. Everynight it was dreams of you protecting them, them thanking you, you fighting off their bullies and enemies."

"I'm sorry sister, I did not want others to forget you" feeling the mane tighten around her throat Celestia choked as she was lifted off the ground so she was eye-to-eye with her sister

"LIAR" slamming Celestia against the wall she pinned her against it "you wanted the power for yourself, the throne for yourself. But you forget one thing sister, any and all in Equestria have their dreams open to me. All those you invited to our castle to make peace treaties and trades, I saw into theirs dreams and all of them thought you weak."

Turning around Nightmare Moon let Celestia fall to the ground as she walked through the bars again. "But they faced me dear sister, their nightmare's were exquisite, like the finest wine and sweetest dessert. They quickly learned that my Empire couldn't be stopped, that ponies aren't weak and they would fight for what is theirs."

"Is that why you started wars and banished me? Because of jealousy?" Celestia coughed as she sat back on the blanket

"At first, I'll admit." Nightmare Moon smiled as she looked back at Celestia "but I soon grew beyond that, I had my own dream. I dreamt of an empire across the world, all powerful and all consuming, every creature bowing to me as they fought for what is rightfully mine." Turning back to face Celestia part of Nightmare Moon's mane separated itself and turned into a pure black point which slowly began to move towards her "I confess I can't remember if you were in my dream, bowing to me in the crowd or next to me, perhaps you weren't there at all"

As the point moved closer to Celestia she didn't move at all, not even blinking as it stopped just short of piercing her eye. She just held the same look on her face as she continued to look at her sister.
"I could keep you here, to show the world the two sisters of the Equestrian Empire as a united front. But you'd try and convince others that my rule is wrong. I could kill you and have you buried in an unknown place, but others could use you as a marter saying I have no love or compassion for others."
Suddenly the spike moved from her eye and pierced Celestia's neck, making her flinch and hiss at the pain.
"I think the best answer is banishment, you live in comfort I know you will hate, you're words will fall on deaf ears and you will never see Canterlot again. That is, of course, unless you succumb"

"What did you just do?" Celestia asked as she rubbed her neck

"You were always strong willed sister, always thinking your ways were best. But I wonder how long you can resist a piece of me, how long you can resist my voice whispering in your ear day and night." As Nightmare Moon walked to the door she chuckled darkly "either you lose yourself and I gain a sister that thinks as I do, or I never see you again and you're constantly hounded by me never knowing peace. Either way, I win"

Author's Note:

So yeah it took me a while for my mind to get back to finishing this off.
Not sure when I'll do next episode but as always any questions just leave comment and I'll reply as soon as.

Comments ( 8 )

thats a dark ending for celestia. Loved it

"but I soon grew beyonb that,

Should be a "d" there.

Good chapter. Nightmare Moon is so delightfully evil :scootangel:

Firstly: Love the new Equus.
Secondly: I hope to see more of cold-hearted cruel anti-hero Twilight in the future.
This story gets a :yay:/10

This has an interesting premise so far and I can say that I've enjoyed the whole story this far. I'm really enjoying your spin on the characters and something about Pinkie being an explosives expert is just amazing.:pinkiecrazy: I hope you don't give up on this too soon and I wish you the best of luck.:moustache:

It seems that this story will be forgotten for a long time?

So basically, evil won, plain and simple.

8846760
The whole situation's still frustrating, and the majority of my frustration was aimed at Nightmare Moon.

Login or register to comment