• Published 5th Sep 2013
  • 1,909 Views, 20 Comments

Nightmare Empire - devil001



what if Nightmare Moon beat Celestia over a thousand years ago, how would the world we know and love b different?

  • ...
4
 20
 1,909

Rise of the Equestrian Empire

Rise of the Equestrian Empire

Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria, there were two regal sisters who ruled together and brought harmony to all the land.
To do this, the eldest used her unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn, the younger brought out the moon to begin the night, thus the two sisters maintained balance for their kingdom and their subjects, all the different types of ponies.

As time went on, the younger sister became worried, for there were others that wished to do harm to her subjects, and while they played in the day her older sister brought for them, and slept through her star-filled skies at night, she knew that if they were attacked none of her little ponies would be able to defend themselves.

One fateful day she tried to reason with her elder sister, to make her see the foes that were endangering their subjects. But she refused to listen to her logic, and said that by simply offering land and valuables there would be peace.

As more and more creatures came to take what was not theirs the younger sister was not able to stand back and watch as her subjects lost their homes and their pride, vowing to protect them and make them strong, she harnessed the most powerful magic known to pony kind, the Elements of Harmony, and became the great leader, a saviour to pony kind but a nightmare that struck fear into its enemies. And so she came to call herself Nightmare Moon.

Using the power of the Elements she refused to allow the sun to rise and to defeat her elder sister, banishing her permanently to the sun.
As the enemies watched they saw Equestria stay in darkness for twenty-nine days and nights, on the thirtieth the sun rose upon the new Equestria and its army, led by Nightmare Moon. Together they took back what her sister had no right to give away and chased away those that thought ponies weak and small.

Bowing to their new ruler the ponies were eternally grateful to Nightmare Moon, who took on duties of both sun and the moon, and promise to always keep them strong and safe, and have been ever since.

--------------------------------------------------------------

To say the least Nightmare Moon was surprised when the head of a dragon had smashed through the roof of one of her buildings mere seconds after the rainbow shock wave that no doubt stretched throughout her empire, but as she entered the room where the beast stood she was even more surprised as she watched a small purple filly glowing and zapping everything in sight with magic, it should have been impossible, no unicorn of such young age had power of this level.
If she remembered correctly the exam for unicorn fillies was to birth an egg, where the creature was then raised and trained to serve and fight in her army, this one had obviously received a dragons egg and not only had she broken the egg but also caused it to grow to full size.

As her guards placed themselves between her and the glowing filly she stepped forwards, brushing them aside and walking up to the filly, as her shadow cast over her she looked up at her regal form and firm face and recognized her.
As the glowing stopped the dragon became a baby again, sitting on the destroyed cart and sucking his own tail, the two plants in the corner became ponies again and the group of examiners was released from their magical confines.

"Twilight" the two ponies that were previously plants called out and ran to the filly, hugging her before looking up and seeing Nightmare Moon where they proceeded to bow "your majesty"

Saying nothing Nightmare Moon looked down at the filly bowing at her and stealing quick nervous glances. "Her name" she demanded at last

"Twilight Sparkle your highness, please we will clean the mess and pay for the damages" the father spoke but was quietened by the raising of one of Nightmare Moon's hoofs

"Twilight Sparkle you have a great ability, I have not come across another unicorn with your raw abilities before. But such abilities are useless without the proper focus, study and training, as such, from this day forth, you shall become my personal student and begin the mastery of your magic in my castle" Nightmare Moon watched as the surprised filly looked up at her with surprise on her face and her jaw open.

"Thank you your majesty, this is a great honour, we don't know what to say" the mother said as she forced her daughter to bow her head again.

"Nothing is needed to be said my subjects, just vigilance and strength" turning Nightmare Moon was followed by her guards as she left the room, hearing someone start to cheer about their cutie mark. "Captain"

"Yes your majesty?" One of the guards appeared along side her and bowed his head as he walked

"I wish for that filly to have no distractions, I sense great potential within her but it will be stifled unless she is learning from me all day, everyday. Am I making myself clear?"

"Indeed your majesty, for the empire" he stopped and bowed again, letting Nightmare Moon and the other guards walk past him.

---Break---

Twilight sniffed as she sat in front of the castle, the night sky was clear of clouds and a bright full moon shone down, the servants carried what few things she still owned into the castle as Nightmare Moon walked down the steps, each pony bowing as she passed them.

"It is a sad thing for a filly to lose her parents" as Nightmare Moon stood in front of Twilight the young filly looked up at her and choked back her tears, squeezing a home made doll tightly. "Especially in such a manner, to lose all those you know in one fell swoop. Follow me, Twilight"

Holding the doll in her mouth Twilight stood and followed Nightmare Moon into the castle, having to walk quickly to keep up with Nightmare Moon's long strides.

"You shall live and study here in the castle, you shall have everything you need. It cannot replace what you have lost but in time I hope you are comfortable here" stopping outside a door with two guards positioned outside of it one of them opened the door to reveal the large room behind containing a bed, a study desk and several large full book cases. "If there is anything you need just ask, goodnight Twilight"

As she turned to leave Nightmare Moon heard a small voice "um... Your majesty?"
Turning she saw Twilight had placed the doll on the floor "will I be able to visit my brother?"

Saying nothing for a few seconds Nightmare Moon looked down at Twilight, "when he is feeling better I shall arrange for you to visit him, until that time I suggest you try and rest, you will have a long day of studying tomorrow"

"Yes Empress" Twilight bowed as Nightmare Moon turned to leave again, "Empress? Thank you for helping me"

---Break---

Twilight looked at the book filled with the ancient laws and history of the Equestrian Empire, she had read it many times in her life and still read it at least once a year at the insistence of the Empress.

"Ever since the Empire began it was declared and agreed that all ponies; earth, unicorn and Pegasus. Would be drafted into its army, spending a year in training and another in service to the Empire and its Empress. No pony, no matter their social standing, is beyond this calling, unless the Empress herself says otherwise as she sees the pony has skills and abilities that is beneficial to the Empire."

Twilight looked up from the book, that part had applied to herself and very few other ponies. To this day she'd spent most of her time memorizing books, learning new spells and practising them to perfection, Empress Moon expected no less from her personal student.

"Once the drafted time has passed a pony is free to leave the army to pursue their own speciality, though many choose to re-enlist as many jobs and skills are linked to the military and it’s many factions. With this the Equestria empire has been able to defend itself against all enemies that it has faced, and expand its borders incorporating those that once tried to threaten the empire.
Once added to the empire the new citizens are questioned thoroughly about what skills they have and what jobs would suit them best."

Twilight knew these proceedings well as she had sat in on several of them after the concurring of the Griffins, the questions were long and varied but each griffin was given a job they seemed satisfied with.

"Ms. Sparkle" a voice called out, as she snapped out of her thoughts Twilight saw a palace guard approaching towards her "her majesty Empress Moon has asked you to report to her personal chambers" he said as he saluted her.

Placing a bookmark and closing the book Twilight jumped down from her desk following the guard through the halls, as she passed servants bowed to her and guards saluted, when she first moved into the castle she didn't like it but after years of hard studying and accomplishing the toughest tasks Nightmare Moon had assigned her she knew she had earned it as well as the title of 'Personal Student of Empress Moon'. The empire was only as strong as its weakest pony, and she was in no way weak.

As Twilight stood before the large, dark doors leading to Nightmare Moon's personal sleeping quarters the guard saluted her again before leaving and returning to his usual duties. Taking a deep breath Twilight knocked three times on the door and waited a few seconds before entering, as she did she saw the dark colours of the room, a dark blue that looked black unless you concentrated on it and woven into each piece of fabric was the tiniest diamonds, less than one carrot, that sparkled like stars in the night sky.

"Ah Twilight, you've arrived" Nightmare Moon looked into a large mirror as a white unicorn fussed around her, re-arranging pieces of fabric and sticking them in place with pins, Nightmare Moon watched Twilight's reflection as she bowed to her

"Of course my Empress, how can I be of service?" Twilight asked as she raised her head

"If her majesty could extend her wings, I need to see if the dress will ride up" the ponies nervous, but professional voice, asked.

Obliging Nightmare Moon extended her wings to their fullest, the cloth moving slightly but as the unicorn examined her work she smiled brightly

"Oh this is perfect, this will be my greatest work yet,” the unicorn said more to herself than to any pony else "thank you your majesty, this dress will be perfect for the celebration"

"Have you met Rarity?" Nightmare Moon asked as she lowered her wings, Rarity making notes of what piece of cloth goes where and slowly removing them from Nightmare Moon's person

"We've... met in passing when she's visited the castle in the past, Spike seems to have a crush on her" Twilight watched as Rarity rolled her eyes, whenever he saw her in the castle he would follow her around and try to impress her though it never worked.

"Yes well, such is young love." As the last piece of cloth was removed Nightmare Moon turned to face Twilight, who removed her slightly glowering eyes off Rarity and looked at Nightmare Moon, who smirked slightly. "Rarity is one of the finest jewel hunters in the Empire, did you know that on the day she received her cutie mark she accidentally invented a spell that allowed her to find jewels?"

"No my Empress, but it is always good to hear that the citizens are always finding ways to help the empire" Twilight's eyes flicked to Rarity for a second before returning Nightmare Moon. "Perhaps she can teach it to me sometime"

"Perhaps, but Rarity is much more than a simple jewel finder, she is one of the finest dress makers in the Empire and is being charged with making a dress for me for the celebration in a few days time. When shall the dress be ready?" Nightmare Moon turned and faced Rarity, who looked surprised slightly and bowed to her.

"Before the moon is lowered this evening your highness, it will have my undivided attention, if the dragon can be stopped from breaking my concentration" Rarity caught a quick glance of Twilight who was glowering at her again.

"I shall keep him out of your way" Twilight said to Rarity as she refused to blink while looking at the white unicorn.

"Good, now leave us" Nightmare Moon demanded to Rarity, who simply bowed again and used her magic to carry out her items as she left. As the door closed Nightmare Moon moved to the balcony that allowed her to overlook the city below. "As you know Twilight in a few days time it will be the celebration of the founding of the Equestrian Empire, an empire that has stood a thousand years strong."

"All thanks to your leadership, my Empress" Twilight joined Nightmare Moon on the balcony and saw the princess smirking as she looked at her.

"So possessive after all these years Twilight Sparkle, tell me, did it bother you to see that unicorn fuss about my person?" Though Twilight said nothing and tried to hold eye contact the silence and shifting eyes told Nightmare Moon everything she needed to know making her chuckle at her student. "You are one of the few ponies I trust Twilight, I have taught you everything you know of magic and in return you have exceeded my expectations."

Nightmare Moon watched as Twilight smiled proudly before continuing "history has a way of repeating itself, and as such gives old enemies a chance where they failed before. For the good of the Empire this cannot be allowed to happen," her horn began to glow and an old book floated in front of Twilight. "Take this and read, but let no other read it understand?"

"Yes my Empress" taking the book in her own magic Twilight looked at it closer, the spine was badly cracked and the leather was starting to peel away, the gold lettering upon its cover was all but gone. "What is it?"

"A book of secrets, now go and learn them" Nightmare Moon watched as Twilight bowed and left.

---Break---

Twilight read the book slowly and carefully, absorbing each word to its full effect. The book was the diary of Nightmare Moon when she had still been known as Princess Luna, and in it she put down her thoughts and arguments of a thousand years ago when her sister, Princess Celestia, was the ruler.

"Diary

Again Celestia ignored my advice, how can she sit at the same table as those villains?
They threaten our people and she offers them our resources in the name of peace? Can Celestia not see that her way is short-term and eventually she will have nothing left to offer? Then what?

We need to stand together, pony with pony and princess with princess, to show the world that though alone we can be weak and small, together, there is nothing that can over come our combine might.

I fear Celestia cannot see the strength of her people, or does not want to admit it; she wishes to treat them as children and protect them as such. But I know their strength; I am willing to use it to protect not only themselves but also our lands.

How long will Celestia give away our pride?"

Twilight leant back from the diary, princess Celestia, she was sure she'd heard that name before in her history lessons. From what she'd read in the diary it sounded like Celestia wanted to coddle her subjects, and was willing to give away their land and pride to try and keep them safe. Even Twilight could see the flaw in that plan, more and more enemies would come and try to fight them and Celestia would give them what they wanted. It made her angry that Equestria ever had a princess willing to bow to others and surrender to bullies.

As Twilight read through the diary she could see Princess Luna becoming more and more desperate to help and protect her ponies, but Celestia kept ignoring her. Twilight reached the last entry under candlelight, the sun gone down an hour before.

"Diary

More and more Celestia is ignoring my instructions, can she truly not see how weak she is making pony-kind?

I see their dreams, watch them as they sleep. They are afraid of what might come; Celestia has put that fear into them with her actions.

If I don't do something soon the true strength of our subjects will be lost and all they will ever know is weakness and fear, but still Celestia insists allies made through friendship will last.

We each bear three of the Elements of Harmony but are both able to use all six, if Celestia would somehow use them against me my plans to overthrow her would be stopped before they begin. I need to get to them first, to hide them.

I have a week before the longest night reaches us, I must be ready by then"

The Elements of Harmony? Twilight was sure she'd heard of them before but she couldn't remember where. It was in an old book, a book full of knowledge about ancient and powerful objects, which meant it was in the library.

---Break---

"Is it really that important to find the book now?" Spike yawned as he skimmed through his twentieth book, his brain not even registering what he was looking at anymore.

"My Empress gave me the book to read, she wanted me to learn what was in it. She said the elements were powerful enough to stop her plans before they even began, items such as these must be found so they can't be used against the empire, or my Empress" Twilight speed-read through book after book looking for the words that would grab her attention. As she looked through an old, though well kept, book she stopped flicking through the pages as she found the page she was looking for.

"The Elements Of Harmony

The exact origin of these items is unknown, but what is know is that when used together the power is thought to be able to beat or vanquish any foe of the users.

Each jewel represents a certain virtue that can be found in many but personified in few: Honesty, Generosity, Kindness, Laughter, Loyalty, Magic.

Through record the Elements of Harmony have taken various shapes with each new bearer, meeting the need and suiting the bearer individually

The Elements Of Harmony can only be used together, and if the bearers is true to themselves."

"That's it? All that searching for a single page?" Spike asked as he read over Twilight's shoulder

"A page is more than we had before, and we know a lot more than we did" rereading the page Twilight memorized every word before placing the book back on the shelf. Placing Spike on her back Twilight ran out of the dark library.

"Where are we going?" Spike asked her gripped Twilight's mane so not to fall off

"You're going back to bed, then once I've made a few notes I'm going to see my Empress"

---Break---

Twilight trotted proudly down the hallway; in her saddlebag she had Nightmare Moon's diary and several pages containing notes and her thoughts on The Elements Of Harmony. As she turned the corner she could see the guards in front of Nightmare Moon's room, standing like statues until she approached, then they opened their wings to block her entrance.

"Her majesty Nightmare Moon is sleeping, with orders not to be disturbed for any pony" one guard said

Sighing Twilight knew she had to wait, while being the personal student of the ruling monarch gave her many perks and allowed to go places others couldn't, she still had to follow orders by Nightmare Moon. Sitting and re-reading the diary Twilight didn't have to wait long before another pony joined her, looking up she saw Rarity walking down the hall with Nightmare Moon's dress complete and ready to be presented, a tired but proud look on her face.

"I have her majesty's dress for the celebration"

"Her majesty Nightmare Moon is sleeping, with orders not to be disturbed for any pony" the guard repeated, Rarity looked like she was about to argue but took a deep breath and sighed

"Very well, I shall wait"

It was only now that she wasn't focused on presenting her dress that Rarity noticed Twilight who was watching out of the corner of her eye. "Ms. Twilight" she said as she bowed.

"Rarity" Twilight replied in curt acknowledgment, Rarity was the only other pony she knew of that didn't have to serve time in the army, and that meant Nightmare Moon had acknowledged her skills, and so would she. Looking at the dress Twilight was amazed, she'd seen many fine dresses before but this was one of the best. "You made that dress all by yourself?"

The dress was almost an exact match to Nightmare Moon's color; the thread sparkled like stars when the light caught it just right. The dress seemed to flow like water when moved even the slightest bit, and running across the edges of the dress was the moon in all it's different phases.

"Of course I did, I wouldn't leave such an important piece of art to an understudy, they helped make the thread but I would never dare let a hoof other than my own work on this." Looking at the dress Rarity's eyes filled with admiration for her own work and sighed, "I truly wish I could run my boutique full time but my duties to the empire come first"

"You own a boutique?" Twilight asked

"It's mainly run by understudies and assistants, I manage to make a few cloaks and dresses here and there but my given duty is more important"

Hearing a clicked Twilight and Rarity watched as the doors unlocked and opened, for the shadows of the room Nightmare Moon stepped out and the two guards saluted as Rarity and Twilight bowed.

"I see you have finished the dress" Nightmare Moon turned to Rarity first, noting the look on Twilight's face, which quickly disappeared

"Of course your majesty, I swore it would be done before the moon sets" Rarity smiled as she bowed again, Nightmare Moon inspecting it closely. "I've made sure it doesn't restrict your movement in anyway and you can use your wings freely, it doesn't crumple as you walk and it sparkles with each step"

"An impressive dress to be sure, one suitable for the celebration, you have done well"

"Thank you your majesty" Rarity bowed again as Nightmare Moon turned to Twilight

"Have you read what I told you to?"

"Yes my Empress, I also researched what was mentioned and made some notes" Twilight opened and presented the notes to Nightmare Moon, pride on her face as she did so.

"Excellent, enter and we shall discuss them. Rarity, remain here" Nightmare Moon order, as she entered the room the doors closed behind her letting the fire and candle light fill the room. "So my student, what has your research turned up?"

As Twilight presented her notes Nightmare Moon wasn't surprised at the detail she had gone into, her personal student taking even the minute details in every assignment and spell given to her.

"And that is why I have reasoned, and fear, that your elder sister Celestia will be able to break free of the spell on the day of the celebration" Twilight placed down her last page of notes and floated over a glass of water, her throat parched from her long presentation.

Saying nothing Nightmare Moon sat in deep thought, suddenly her horn began to glow and the doors to her room opened "Rarity, enter"
Slightly surprised Rarity nervously entered the room bringing in the dress, bowing as she stood before Nightmare Moon.
"As you both know the celebration of the founding of the Empire is only a day away. I want you to travel to Ponyville and make sure everything is prepared for my arrival, Rarity you shall guide her to the ponies in charge."

Both Twilight and Rarity were shocked at the orders given to them; Rarity was the first to recover and bowed while saying

"Of course your majesty, I shall prepare for my, our, departure immediately"

As Rarity left the room Twilight was still in shock of what her teacher had said. "But, what of the Elements and Celestia?"

Standing Nightmare Moon turned to the dress to examine it in the candle and firelight where it seemed to sparkle more than it had in the hallway. "I have given you an order Twilight, are you going to ignore it?"

Realizing the tonne Nightmare Moon was using Twilight quickly bowed to her "of course not my Empress, I was just-"

"You need not concern yourself in this matter for the moment, the celebration is almost upon us and it must be run perfectly for the citizens and troops to be rallied and reminded what they fight for. Now are you going to leave or do I have to repeat myself?" Looking at Twilight Nightmare Moon's eyes seemed brighter and more distinct than usual, the slit iris boring itself into Twilight.

"N-no my Empress, I shall get Spike to prepare my things right away" bowing quickly Twilight ran from the room leaving Nightmare Moon to go to her balcony, the night ending and preparing for the day.

"You shall not take this empire from me sister, you are no longer wanted. I have seen to that." Spreading her wings her eyes and horn began to glow as she began the task of lowering the moon and raising the sun.

Author's Note:

I have a bad habit of starting fics and not finishing them, but i write them as I feel and hopefully not piss off too many people doing so.

This here is the land of Nightmare Moon, Celestia lost and for a thousand years ponies have been raised to fight and die for the Empire and Empress. Keep reading to see how different everyone is.

Not sure how far into the series I'll be taking it but I'll be doing the first two episodes for sure, after that I might do an episode here and there.