• Published 28th Aug 2013
  • 1,089 Views, 14 Comments

Legacy - Sleep Sonata



Who? What? Why? Questions buzzing around a young mare's head, yet none of them are answered.

  • ...
2
 14
 1,089

Epilogue

“Since then, I have ruled side by side with Celestia.” The little foals clopped their hoofs together at the conclusion of Luna’s story.

“So you used to be a thestral?” One colt said. He leaned forward to better hear the answer.

“Yes little one, that is why I now rule over their land in Equestria. I keep an eye on their activities at night.” The colt leaned so far forward, he fell on his face. Luna used a bit of magic to right him.

A filly raised her hoof as high as she could, forgetting that she wasn’t in school. Luna humored her, and called on her anyway. “Don’t you ever wonder what you life was like before you lost your memory?”

Luna actually turned a slight frown when the foal asked, and all the children noticed. “I’m sorry Princess. I didn’t mean to make you sad.”

“It’s no fault of yours. I actually did find out from Crow what happened. It is not something I like to recall, but I think it would good for you to know.” The foals inched closer to hear.

“I was very young when I ascended to Nocturna’s throne, and I was not prepared at all for the hardships the bat ponies faced. I failed them as their leader.”

“But princess,” the same filly didn’t hesitate to speak up this time. “You came back and saved them all. Doesn’t that make it all better?”

“It didn’t undo the damage caused, but in a sense, you are right. No pony is suffering in that wasteland anymore.” Another hoof shot up into the air.

“Princess, what happened to all of your pony friends? Did you still play with them.” The filly’s phrasing was adorable, which help put Luna in a better mood.

“Of course. I saw them every chance I got. I actually invited Honey to the castle. Her deserts were unlike anything I’d ever had. Triage became the royal physician, and helped care for all the nobles and their families.” She had to pause and remember. This was all such a long time ago. “Oh, Compass Rose and Buttercup started a wilderness adventure group together. I’m not entirely sure what became of May Day, though. I guess she went back to being the Fix-it-Filly.”

“What about Harvest Moon?”

Luna leaned back, and let out a deep sigh. “Of course, Harvest. She stayed by my side for many years. Whenever I had to go away on royal business, she stayed at my castle and watched over the rest of the thestrals.”

“Where is she now?”

It was a question she didn’t want to hear. “Well, she lived long and worked hard to serve me, but since she was just a normal pony, she grew old, and eventually...”

Before she could finish, the door opened, and the castle guide came in.

“Pardon, your majesty, but the parents are here for the children.” There was unanimous groan from all of the foals, eliciting laughs from Luna and the guide.

“Don’t worry children,” she consoled them. “I’ll still be here next time you can visit. Now go see your parents.”

The children joined again in a chorus. “Yes Princess Luna!”

As they all filed out the door, Luna reflected on what she had just told them. She had come back for her people, but was it actually enough? Before she could ponder any further, she got a pleasant surprise.

“Hello, Luna. I trust you had a good time while I was gone?” Celestia stood by the open door.

“Tia! I didn’t hear you come in. Your back from your trip awfully early.” Luna lept to her feet in excitement, but she calmed down quickly.

“It was quite quick. Turns out the Equestria games had to be postponed until a later date. A majority of citizens thought the games were going to be in Cloudsdale, so there were almost no ticket sales.” Luna chuckled when she heard the news.

“How did somepony pull that off? I commend them for the effort.” Celestia looked over to her. She wasn’t angry, but she was not amused.

“I suppose we can hold it next month. Personally, I was excited to see the team magic shows. Canterlot usually wins, but I had a feeling Trottsdam might come out on top.” Celestia went over to the balcony to survey the city. Luna followed her over. The sun had almost finished setting.

“I do enjoy the ends of everyday. You must work very hard to make the night as beautiful as it is.” Luna blushed at the compliment.

“Thank you, it’s just...” Celestia noticed her pause.

“What’s the matter?” Luna looked away.

“Nothing. It’s nothing.”

“Luna, you don’t need to hide anything. Be honest.” Luna looked back up, but she struggled not appear to upset.

“It just bothers me that nopony sees my work. They’re always so tired from their activities during the day, that they sleep all night.” Celestia was surprised at Luna’s response, and at first, it seemed like she couldn’t give a response. “I just want somepony to appreciate what I do.”

Celestia turned to face Luna. “Luna, the ponies need to rest, they do appreciate what you do, which is why they sleep. Your Starry skies and cool air comfort them and help them rest after a hard days work.”

Celestia’s words put Luna at ease, and she looked back out to confirm that the ponies were in fact enjoying the night. “I think it’s time I went to bed as well. Take care, Luna.”

“Good night, Tia.” Luna thought about what Celestia had said. It made sense; the night air was very relaxing, and it did put her at ease. She looked up, and saw the starry night she had made, twinkling above the earth below.

If only the other ponies would just look up and see.

Comments ( 5 )

It's been a late night, but I've finally had time to go back and edit this story properly. Read up!

Comment posted by Eskerata deleted Jul 5th, 2014
Comment posted by Reganthestrange deleted Jul 6th, 2014

4646464 This is why I'm not a movie critic. Sorry about that. :fluttercry:

Login or register to comment