• Published 28th Aug 2013
  • 1,080 Views, 14 Comments

Legacy - Sleep Sonata



Who? What? Why? Questions buzzing around a young mare's head, yet none of them are answered.

  • ...
2
 14
 1,080

Break

“Speechless. Perfect! looks like you did learn something from your time in their land.” Crow acted as if he had just given her the time. His action made no sense before, but this simply defied logic.

“It may be easy to say I can be their ruler, but they have a princess. You have no right to take it from them.” Starry’s reaction caused another mood swing in the Lord Protector, to brief, but intense, rage.

“We have every right to take it back! Our kind were banished out to this wasteland because we refused to be assimilated with the day ponies!” Crow caught himself, cleared his throat, and resumed his calm tone. “Pardon me. We are now just moving back so our race can survive. We’ll try to keep violence to a minimum, but that all depends on how much compassion the day ponies have.”

Crow’s argument, however awful the end result sounded, was reasonable. There was no way the thestrals could survive over the mountains much longer. They needed a new home, but Starry didn’t want that to happen at the expense of the day ponies. Starry didn’t want anypony to have to suffer.

As she was pondering, a guard burst in through the door, startling both Starry and Crow. “Lord Protector, the Harvest Moon has escaped!”

Starry was concerned, though glad Harvest was free. Crow cursed under his breath, but quickly regain control of himself. “She’s a crafty girl, that’s for sure. Take the guards from the West wall to search for her. She doesn’t have anywhere to go in the city, so she’ll probably try to get out.”

The guard rendered a salute, and bolted back out as quickly as he came in. Crow seemed concerned about her escape, but none the less appeared to expect it and have plan. He began to walk towards the door, while still talking to Starry. “I’m so sorry to cut our time short, but this development has me worried about our other guests.”

Starry quickly went from happy for harvest to concerned for these other prisoners. “Others?”

“Oh, just some trespassers. They’ll be dealt with appropriately.” Crow stopped at the door. “I’ll leave you here to think about our situation. I hope you will have our best interests at heart this time around.” With that, he closed the door behind him.

Starry was left alone with her thoughts, and there were many to be had. She was being forced to make a decision about the fate of two worlds, with only days spent in each. She didn’t want to choose. She wanted to stop doing anything. She’d been struggling for days to figure out who she was, and she still didn’t have her memories. She started to cry, more than she ever had before. Her sobs filled the empty hall, only making her feel more alone.

Suddenly, an epiphany hit her. Crow had left her here without any guards. They were all probably looking for Harvest. It was the perfect time to try and escape her self. First, she needed to see who these ‘other guests’ were.

As she made her way down the winding corridors of the castle, she made sure to make as little sound as possible, in case any guards were left. She would only get this opportunity once.

She eventually made her way to the lower prison cells. She could here voices down the hall, but couldn’t make out what they were saying. Inching closer, she couldn’t believe who it was.

“I’m serious. This is the perfect breeding ground for mold. Don’t get me wrong, it’s quite well appointed for a dungeon, but they really should get better housekeeping.” It was Triage!

“Is that really our biggest problem!? We need to bust outta this place!” Rosie was there too.

“Rosie’s right. Celestia only knows what they would do to us if we stay here any longer.

“It won’t be that bad Butters. C’mon, sing a cheer up song with me!”

“Hold yourself, May. Last time you started singin’ that creepy ‘Lord Protector’ came down, and I’m pretty sure he threatened to wipe our minds, too.”

Triage, Rose, Buttercup, May Day, and Honey were all there! Starry didn’t think about how they had gotten captured, she was simply glad they were here, and she had a chance to free them.

Starry galloped up the cell where they were being held, with the biggest smile she’d ever made gracing her face. When the five stopped bickering and turned to face her, none of them could say a word. “Girls! I’m so glad you’re OK! I’ll get you out of here.”

Starry dashed down the hall to grab the spare keys, and unlocked the prison door as quickly as her hoofs would allow. Once the door was opened, she was immediately tackled to the ground by Rose, quickly followed by the other four. The force of their embraces was painful, but at the same time, the most joyful experience she had known thus far.

“Starry! I don’t believe it, we thought we’d lost you forever! How did you get here?” Triage was the loudest of the group, but Honey quickly put a hoof to her lips.

“Keep it down! We don’t want them runnin’ back here to find us all escapin’.” She was right, and the other ponies bit their lips to contain their excitement. They didn’t need to say anything anyway. Starry knew they were worried for her.

“I’m sorry I ran off on you, I met Harvest Moon again, and she teleported me over to Nocturna.”

Rose took a deep breath to regain her bearing. “We figured you’d gone ahead for whatever reason, so we set off after you. Once we crossed the mountains, though, we were caught by some guards.”

Starry had a moment of clarity. They were the one’s that were flown over her and Harvest. Now she felt even worse about leaving them. “I’m sorry I was the reason you all were caught.”

Honey was as comforting as ever. “Don’t let it get you down, sugar cube. You’re here now, and we’re all going to break out together.”

Starry, with her new found confidence and surrounded by her friends, felt like she could do anything. “I think I saw a way out while I was heading done here. C’mon!”

The 6 made their way, quickly but quietly, back up the castle halls. They didn’t seem as depressing, now that she had company. The group itself, though, was alone. In the entire time they made their escape, they didn’t see a single guard. It made Starry a bit uneasy, but it at least made their escape easier.

Eventually they reached the door marked ‘SERVANT’S EXIT’. The ponies filed off through the door, and found themselves in the Servant’s living quarter. However, there was nopony there, save for the rats chewing on the meal set at the table.

The table was set, complete with simple wooden utensils and dinnerware, but the food was everywhere. some of the baskets were half empty, but others were completely full. It looked like everypony had just taken what they want, not even thinking about eating it right.

They didn’t have time to reflect on that small detail, she searched for an exit, but she noticed the a steady stream of ponies and wagons filing past the window. The more ponies she saw, the more concerned she became. Everypony outside at once? Something had to be amiss.

Starry again had to regain focus, and concentrate on getting her friends to safety. She directed them into a sewer hatch, but Triage hesitated. “Have you lost your mind?!” Starry could not believe those words came out of her mouth. “That place will make us sick for sure!”

“Would you rather be sick, or allow Crow to takeover your home?!” The question snapped Triage back to reality.

“Is...is that really what’s at stake?” Starry gave her a nod. “Well, I suppose I don’t have a choice. She closed her eyes, and leapt into the hatch. with a small splash to signal her arrival. She cried out in a sheepish voice, “ew.”

Starry followed soon after, and proceed to guide them outside the city. Luckily, there were signs pointing towards the city wall, presumedly for other ponies who got lost. The entire time, nopony spoke a word. They merely followed Starry to what they hoped would be safety.

Once the group emerged from the sewers, outside the wall, they were greeted by an astonishing sight; the entire city appeared to have filed outside, and had formed a semi-circle around a pedestal, upon which stood the Lord Protector.

“Brothers and sisters, today marks a new era in our history! Today, we retake our homeland!”