• Published 28th Aug 2013
  • 1,083 Views, 14 Comments

Legacy - Sleep Sonata



Who? What? Why? Questions buzzing around a young mare's head, yet none of them are answered.

  • ...
2
 14
 1,083

Metropolis

Even if she could remember being in a city, Starry would have been impressed by the port of Maresailles. The docks seemed to be endless, filled with ships of all shapes and sizes. The buildings seemed to reach into reach into the sky, continuously buzzed by pegasi. Against the night sky, they seemed to be regal in addition to titanic. She was truly in awe.

As they disembarked, Mo lowered his head to the height of the two ponies. “You two be careful, and enjoy the sights.”

“Thank you kindly Mo. I hope we get a chance to meet again, when one of our lives isn’t in peril.” Honey and Mo shared a laugh, and the sea dragon swam back to the mouth of the river. “Starry, are you ready to move along?”

Starry was starred entranced by the city, but still aware of her surroundings. “Yes. Where should we start?”

Honey let out a loud yawn. “How ‘bout we hit the hey. This pony needs her sleep.”

This took Starry by surprise. She was tired from the journey as well, but didn’t feel a need to sleep. “Sleep? But we just got here.”

“Yes dear, and it’s also the middle of the night, when normal ponies go to bed.” Honey’s eyes were half closed by this point. Her cheery voice now dramatically lowered in volume.

Starry flexed her wings to show off their leathery texture. “I don’t think I’m a normal pony.”

“Be that as it may, we’ll need a place to stay. Come now, my cousin Buttercup will keep us for the time bein’. She shouldn’t be far from here.”

The walk to Buttercup’s place seemed to fly by for Starry. She took in everything around her, from the glowing signs on the shops to the sounds made by the occasional carriage that passed them by. It was all very different from Honey’s humble farm.

Eventually, Starry realized that she didn’t know Honey all that well. It’s only right that she be friendly after all they’ve been through together. “So Honey, how did you get your cutie mark?” She gestured to the olive brach on her flank.

“Oh it was a wonderful day! I remember it like yesterday. My father actually made saddlebags for a livin’, right here in Maresailles, so I started helping him with that. I had always been fascinated by plants though. Everything about them was just beautiful. The aromas, the colors, it all made me get all fuzzy inside. I started a garden outside the city. Soon enough, it was the talk of the town. I had so many different herbs and plants, even the Mayor took noticed, and asked me if I could name it in her honor. At naming ceremony, it popped up, right there on my flank.”

Starry was inspired. Honey was industrious even as a filly. “So what brought out you out to Green Pastures? It’s awfully far away from your home.”

Just then, the atmosphere around honey turned gloomy. Her ears folded down, her head was hung low, and the all important smile was gone from her face. “It was a personal choice, that’s all.”

Starry wasn’t accustomed to Honey stopping a conversation like that. That farm must’ve been more than just a business to her. Before Starry could ask any further, Honey stopped them both, and her features had returned to their normal, perky condition.

“Ah-ha! Here it is.” Honey walked through the door, but Starry noticed the sign read ‘Best Friends Forever Pet Shop’. “Are you sure this is where she lives? It just looks like a store.”

“Buttercup does love her animals. She’s actually a pegasus, but since she couldn’t pass the flight exam, she came here, and discovered her special talent.” She knocked on the door very back. Immediately following were less footsteps than the sound of constant stumbling, gradually making it’s way over to the door.

The door was opened by a sleepy eyed pegasus, her pink coat was matted, and her lime green mane was frayed in every direction. “Oh sorry Butters. Did we wake you?” Starry couldn’t tell if Honey was making a joke, or just oblivious. Buttercup didn’t appear to respond. Until she rubbed her eyes, then a gentle smile appeared. “Oh hello Honey,” her voice was soft and quiet, a stark contrast to Honey Suckle. “I wasn’t expecting you till next month. But my door is always open for family.”

“Well I had some pressing matters to tend to. This young lady needs our help. She came to my door a wreck. I took care of her, but the poor dear can’t remember a thing about herself.” Honey gestured over to Starry. As she did so, Buttercup’s jaw dropped. Any grogginess she may have had was gone. She grabbed Honey and Starry and harshly yanked them upstairs, locking the door behind them.

“Butters, what in Equestria is the matter? Your acting like you’ve seen the walkin’ dead.” Honey was just as confused by Buttercup’s behavior as Starry was.

“I might as well have!” she exclaimed in a loud whisper. “And keep your voice down! Nopony can know it’s here!”

“It? What are you talkin’ about?” Honey was whispering too.

“That thestral! They aren’t supposed to exist! Who knows what it’s capable of!” Buttercup kept frantically gesturing towards Starry, who was getting progressively more insulted.

“I have a name, you know!” She exclaimed. She was the only one not whispering.

Buttercup leapt into the air, and would have gone sailing out the widow, had Honey not grabbed her tail and pulled her back down to earth. “Buttercup! That is no way to treat a guest! Her name is Starry Night. You of all ponies should know that we love and accept everypony.”

“She’s not a real Pony!” Buttercup raised in voice to match Honey. “Princess Celestia was supposed to have banished all of the thestrals beyond the Hadrian Mountains. If she finds out one of them got back here, who knows what she’ll do to us!”

Starry suddenly realized that this pony knew an awful lot about what she was. “Wait a second, you said I’m a thestral?” Buttercup just stared at her, jaw hanging open, apparently confused as to how to respond. Starry kept talking regardless. “I actually can’t remember anything about who I am. If there is somewhere I belong, I would appreciate it if you could tell me all you know about it.”

Buttercup slowly worked up the courage to speak to the mare who moments before she had labeled ‘it’. “You really don’t remember anything?” She had reverted back to her normal voice. Starry shook her head.

“Well, Ancient lore was always a hobby of mine. I apprenticed at the library before I got my cutie mark. I can show you all we know about you.” Butters smile had returned as well. She was starting to feel more comfortable around Starry.

“Sounds like we got ourselves a plan, girls.” Honey interjected. “But first, how about we all get some shut eye.” Starry agreed this time. She couldn’t remember the last time she slept voluntarily.