• Published 24th Feb 2012
  • 2,012 Views, 28 Comments

Eye of Equestria - RainbowDash935



In a boring world of bieng normal, one human goes from zero to roughly 20% cooler.

  • ...
3
 28
 2,012

"Of things that start with Of"

Eye of Equestria Chapter 2 : Of things that start with Of

The wind was fierce as I cut through it, Derpy fading into the distance as I sped toward Pinkie.

I had to admit one thing, the speed was a big plus to my cyan-blue Pegasus body.

As I flew by, familiar sights were everywhere. Whether it be the town hall, which for some reason had a considerable amount of ponies gathered around it, or the smaller and simpler details such as two earth ponies sitting together on a park bench. One of them sat in what seemed to be an awkward position for a pony to sit. The sky was still a bit cloudy, but it didn't look like it was going to rain or anything. One thing did cross my mind for only a second... Isn't Derpy supposed to be delivering mail today..... ?

"Rainbow! Wait for me!" I heard Derpy exclaim from far behind me.

"You've gotta keep up, Derpy!!" I shouted back to her as I zipped through the sky.

Pinkie was within distance now, I should have been able to land.

I tucked in my wings and made a dive bomb for the ground.

The pink bundle of party-ism did seem to see me as she looked up, but took no heed when I started speeding down.

Just before I hit the ground, I pulled up a little, like birds do. Unfortunately for my idea, Pegasi are NOT birds, and I ended up crashing into Pinkie.

Instead of showing large amounts of pain, she only looked a little dazed.

Pinkie shook her head with a smile on her face.

"You should be more careful, Dash." She giggled as she extended a hoof to me.

At this point, lying on the ground wasn't getting me anywhere, so I let her help me up.

"Sorry Pinkie." I said, getting back on my hooves and starting to walk again.

"It's okay." she said as she began bouncing toward the library again.

"Alright, let's go!" she said as she got farther away again. I followed by foot-er, hooves this time to conserve time.

Part of me already insisted that I get back into the air, but I could see the tree-house from where we were. I'm sure a little walking never hurt anypony.

"Rainbow!" Derpy called from behind.

I instinctively turned around to see that the grey Mail mare was only a few feet away.

"Are you feeling alright? That's the second time you've crashed into something today..."

I sighed.

To tell the truth, flying is easy. Landing, however, is an entirely different story. I'd learned from my mistakes so far though. I just need to pay attention.

"Don't worry Derpy, I'm gonna walk the rest of the way. No way I can hit anything down here." I said, thankful that I wasn't going to crash into anypony else.

Apparently, the felling was mutual as I heard Pinkie laugh a little and Derpy grinned.

We walked up to the tree-house and Pinkie slammed her left hoof into the door a few times.

"Oh Twiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilight" Pinkie droned,"I brought Rainbow Dash Just like you told me to!"

The door burst open and 3 more familiar ponies, all wedged into the door , shouted "Happy Birthday Rainbow!". Except for Fluttershy, who just has a naturally soft shouting volume.

The tension in the doorway was too much for the three ponies, and so Twilight, Applejack, and Fluttershy tumbled out the door.

"Why don't you... Come in?..." Twilight strained, bieng crushed on the bottom of a pile of ponies.

"Great idea! Let's go, there's so much to do and I still have to set up all the chairs and there should be more streamers and I really need to have some of the really nice hard candy that melts in your mouth and- "

Pinkie's voice trailed off as the rest of the cast got up and went inside.

"So, how's your Birthday been so far Rainbow?" Twilight asked.

"Oh, it's been fine, but it's gonna get even better now that you guys are here to celebrate it with me." I replied.

Pinkie's incessant rambling continued as we came in.

"Mind if I come in?" Derpy called from behind.

"Wha' Sure, come on in!" Applejack shouted as the door almost closed of the great Muffin Mare of Ponyville.

"Wow, looks like everypony's here." I said.

"-And CAKE! Everypony loves cake!" Pinkie shouted, apparently finishing her speech on what the party still needed.

A small purple dragon who I knew as Spike came from around the side of an open doorway. He looked up to see a multicolored banner claiming my birthday was today.

"... Uh, Twilight? Why didn't you tell me it was Rainbow's birthday?" he asked.

The purple pony looked at him with a blank expression. "I did, yesterday while we were with Rarity before she left for Canterlot."

The lovestruck dragon began having memories a bit too fond. He left the room with a lusty smile on his face.

Twilight sighed, then turned back to me. "Did you get anything yet?" she asked.

"Yeah, some good stuff so far." I replied. "I got a muffin from Derpy, and the Crusaders dropped off a really cool Wonderbolts poster."

Once I thought of the poster, I remembered that I still needed to know what day it was.

"Hey Twilight, you wouldn't happen to have a calendar lying around here, would you?" I asked.

She gave me a confused look. "Rainbow, why would you want to know something like that? Usually you don't really care." Twilight questioned.

"Nah, relax Twi, she just wants to know how many days till' the Gala. I wouldn't blame 'er neither, I'm probly just as excited." Applejack broke in.

"Oh, that's easy, still another 8 days. You should mark that on... Wait..." Twilight started.

She gave me a worried, slightly panicked look and laughed uneasily. "Rainbow, can you give me a second?" she asked.

"Umm..... Sure?" I answered.

She quickly rushed up the stairs. I could barely hear her as she scolded spike for 'forgetting' the present, whatever it was.

"...Good party, right...?" Fluttershy asked, shyly as ever.

"Yeah, it's great!! This has been one of the best days I've ever had!!" I said truthfully.

I was kinda sad that I'd have to wake up soon, I knew I would. But hay, why not enjoy it while it lasts?

Twilight came back down with a calendar, just what I needed. It was open to January, so it wasn't like there were many things coming up soon.

I was never big on knowing when episodes were released, though.

"Here you go, Rainbow." Twilight said with a releaving sigh.

I took it in my mouth, a part of my new body that for some reason was really useful.

"Oh! We're already giving out the presents?" Pinkie bursted out excitedly.

"Well, if ya wanna you give yer's right now." Applejack answered.

She leaned over to me and whispered "Git ready, she's gonna give ya a heart attack if ya 'arn't ready." she advised

I jokingly braced myself as if it were something that might hurt. I wouldn't think Pinkie of all ponies would have something dangerous... Then again, leave it to the one who's probably baked flying cupcakes already.

Pinkie came back out struggling, pushing a giant Ice Cube that seemed to be melting already towards me.

"Told ya'." Applejack added.

"Uhh..... Pinkie? What's with the Ice Cube?" I asked.

"Well, you always tell everypony that you like cool things, so I went and got you the coolest thing I could find. Ice." she uttered proudly.

I chuckled a bit at the present. Mostly because I think some part of me thought she was serious.

"Thanks Pinkie" I said.

"No problem, but you should probably get that into a refrigerator or something before you leave or else it might melt." she blurbed.

Derpy looked at it with a bit of courage. She took this as an opportunity to look useful.

"Hey Rainbow, I can bring this up to your house for you if you want. Just promise me you'll meet me up there later, okay?" Derpy asked.

"Are you sure?" I asked "You'd miss the rest of the party....."

"It's fine. Just remember, meet me back at your house later." she repeated.

I was going to be on thin ice if I let Pinkie's present just sit there and melt, so I made a quick-witted decision.

"Sure." I answered.

"Alright, just DON'T FORGET." she said as she pushed it out and almost dropped it as she flew off into the sky.

The rest of us, gathered around the window, watched her leave.

"Jeez, she's one big bottle of crazy sauce, isn't she?" Pinkie asked.

"Says the pony who gave the birthday mare an Ice Cube." Spike, who had apparently come in while I wasn't looking, said sarcastically.


Not much went on after that. Yeah, Applejack's present was good enough, but do I really have that much use for a wooden clock? The location of the sun tells the time in Equestria.

"What about you Fluttershy? Did you get anything for Rainbow?" Pinkie asked happily.

"Oh.... Um.... I'm sorry.... I left it at the cottage....If you want, I can go back and get it for you." Fluttershy offered.

"Sure, can I come with you?" I asked.

"Sure, just make sure you don't go too fast...You always get too far ahead." she stated.

"Wait!" Pinkie exclaimed. "You're already leaving?! But we didn't even get to the cake or the candy or the streamers or the hats or the--" Applejack quickly clasped a hoof over Pinkie's mouth, which was undoubtedly still running under it.

"Yer fine, sugarcube, go ahead with Fluttershy and come back later if ya need to. After all, this clock ain't gonna carry itself." she laughed, struggling to keep Pinkie quiet.

Applejack finally removed her hoof from Pinkie's mouth. "Don't wear yerself out this time." she whispered to her.

"Okay." Pinkie said, gasping for lost air.

"Rainbow, are you ready to go yet?" Fluttershy asked.

I turned back around to face her. She was so quiet that I'd forgotten she was there.

"Oh, yeah. I'm ready." I answered.

"Just be sure you come back to get your other presents after you two come back." Twilight advised.

Something told me that there was gonna back tracking involved in the rest of the day.

"Alright. We should probably get going if I plan on getting home before sunset." I chuckled.

"Okay." said the yellow pegasus.



We walked out the wooden door and into a still very much daylight Ponyville. There were still a ton of ponies doing their daily duties.


Fluttershy and I went for a while without anything being said. Eventually she piped up.

"... Pinkie's present was cool, wasn't it?" she unintrousabely.

"Heh, yeah, it was 'cool'." I laughed.

Fluttershy seemed a lot more shy in person... Or maybe in pony?... Still, even in the show she seemed less cautious.

"SO, WHO WILL JOIN ME ON MY EPIC QUEST?!" I heard a voice boom in the distance.

Fluttershy sighed."Oh no, not this again." I heard her mutter.

"Wait, What? Who's up there?" I asked.

"THERE IS A PRIZE INVOLVED!" the voice shouted.

"Go see for yourself if you want to... not me though, she scares me with all that nonsense she says." Said the pony that should MUCH more courage...

"Maybe later I'll teach you how to get some self esteem. For now though, I'm gonna check this out!!" I said excitedly.

I dashed towards the small crowd that must have been the same from earlier.

Up on a small podium was a light blue pony with a bunch of random things that I swear I could find in my own home. The old one, I mean.

"What's all this about?" I asked as I squeezed into the front of the crowd.

"Are you kidding, Rainbow Dash, you don't know?" she asked.

"You should leave while you still can, Rainbow." said a pegasus pony from the crowd.

"All these glorious artifacts? The ponies gathered around? Just the fragrant aroma of it... There's no way you can't guess!" said the blue pony.

She banged her hooves on the podium as she shouted "HUMANS!!"

About half the crowd groaned and left just after hearing such a preposterous thing.

"I'm going to search Equestria for Humans, and when I find one I'm gonna give it some of my neat stuff." she said obsessively.

... She's Lyra if you hadn't guessed.

"Would you want to help me find some?" she asked. The pony part of me told me to get the hay out of there, but the humanity I still had left compelled me to answer.

"Sure, Why not?" I answered. After all, it IS just a dream, right? I can do whatever I want with nothing bad happening whatsoever.

"GREAT! Thank you, here's something nice to show my thanks." Lyra said happily as she handed me a black Wrist Watch from her pile of human junk.

"Thanks." I said, a bit confused. Where would Lyra find all this stuff? "I've got to go back with Fluttershy. See ya around, Lyra!!" I shouted as I flew back over to the ill-confident yellow pegasus.

"... See?" Fluttershy asked.

"See what?" I questioned.

"That Lyra's nuts. She hasn't stopped looking for 'humans' for three straight years." she responded.

Well, that would explain the bewildering enthusiasm, but still leaves the bundle of stuff. I'm pretty sure nopony would need most of the random stuff in the pile.

"Oh well, let's just keep going. I'm sure everypony's waiting for us back at Twi's house." I said enthusiastically.

From there, we walked until we were somewhere near the edge of the Everfree Forrest. Fluttershy's cottage contently sat between a village full of good-heated ponies, and a forest full of monstrous evils.

I'd always found it kind of odd that she'd pick here of all places to live.

"Hey, Fluttershy, Why'd you pick a house so close to the Everfree Forrest to live in?" I asked.

"Oh, I didn't." she responded, rather happily. "You remember when I landed here after your race in Cloudsdale?" she asked.

"Yeah, of course I do. That was the day I did the Sonic Rainboom. How could anypony forget?" I questioned, remembering almost all the details only because it was the episode I'd watched right before I woke up here.

Fluttershy's face lit up. "It's really nice that you remembered." she gleamed. "Anyway, when I fell, I found all of the nice animals that live near here, and they took me to this house here." she continued.

She continued on about how she'd fixed the place up and the animals stayed with her and stuff, but does that stuff really have that much significance?

... "Nah, I don't need to know this." I thought to myself.

"And that's when Angel and I decided that if the chickens were going to keep harassing Scootaloo, we'd have to--"

"Don't we have a present to get?" I interrupted. I'd say it was rude, but she'd been rambling on about how she'd been keeping all these animals for about 20 minutes.

Thanks to Lyra's watch, I counted it.

"Oh... Yes... I'll go get it." she said, not really saddened by it. It was a little sad that she'd probably gotten so used to this that this didn't phase her.

Fluttershy came back out with a small, yet modest blue card.

"Hey... Sorry for interrupting you before you went in." I apologized.

"Oh, it's okay." she replied. "I'm just going to stay here, you can go back to the library if you want to." she said.

"Okay, thanks for the gift!!" I shouted as I flew off, completely ignoring her.

As I flew back, I saw that Lyra was still trying to get more ponies to go with her on a quest for humans.

I almost thought I'd thank her for the watch, but I had stuff to do.

The sun was setting now, and the last rays of sunlight fell on the small village.

Applejack was waiting by the door of the library, obviously not in a good mood judging by the scowl on her face.

"Rainbow, do ya know how long Ah've been sittin' here waitin' for ya?" she asked.

I tried to add it all up, with stopping and talking to Lyra then listening to the literal story of Fluttershy's life. "Sorry. I must have lost track of time." I chuckled.

"Be glad it's yer birthday." she sighed as she lifted the small clock onto my back and tied it with a rope.

The small twine rope somewhat scraped my wings, but I didn't really care... I should have.

Twilight came out with a smile. "See you soon, Rainbow. Remember, mark tomorrow's event on the calender." she reminded me as she gave me the calendar

"Alright, See ya!!" I shouted as I flew off, trying to go fast with a three pound clock on my back.

The rope tore at my wings, and I could swear I saw a couple of light blue feathers fall behind me.

It had taken me a while to think of it, but maybe Applejack had tied it there on purpose... Nah she's not that kind of pony.

Derpy was waiting at the door not nearly as upset as Applejack was. In fact, she seemed kinda happy.

"I put the Ice Cube in your fridge. Or what's left of it anyways." She grinned, obviously trying to be pleasant in case I was mad at her for letting it melt too much.

"Don't worry, you did a good job. If I'd tried to get that thing here it'd be gone right now." I grinned.

Derpy's eyes fell back into place. "Oh, good. For a second I thought you were gonna be mad." she sighed.

"Nah, I can't stay mad at you of all ponies, Derpy. You're too nice." I laughed. "Thanks for bringing the present up here for me, see ya tomorrow I guess?" I guessed.

She gave me one of the toothiest grins I'd ever seen, which was pretty hard not to laugh at even just a little, before leaving.

I walked back into the house, setting the calender and clock down.

I took a good look at my wing, which to my surprise looked like it was pretty close to bleeding.

"Well, I guess I can sleep it off, then I'll wake up."

I sighed, I didn't want the dream to end. For what it was, it was pretty fun. I'd made friends with the Mane 6 in 'Pony'.

I won't lie, the pain felt real, but so did the friendship. I had to let it go.

"Oh well, better now than never." I said to myself as I went back into the white and fluffy bedroom.

Just for the hay of it, I hung up CMC's poster. I'm sure they'd love to know it actually got used.

I lied down in the bed, my wings hurt even more as I tried to fall asleep. Eventually, I did wake up...............




2---.THE.NEXT.DAY.---2

I awoke with a start, I'd just had a great dream about bieng a pony, my favorite of the Mane 6.

I didn't open my eyes, I was still tired and I had an extremely annoying twitching sensation in my back.

My bed felt... Softer than it did when I fell asleep, which I didn't remember very well.

The dream I'd had was so vivid, it was like I was really there.

I reached my arm over to the irritating pain in my back, yet found it oddly hard to scratch.

I opened my eyes and inspected my.....

"Oh my Celestia... I never woke up..." I muttered to myself.

I was still in the cloud house, almost nothing was different from yesterday morning other than the fact that, ya know, once you find out that you're either still asleep or you're leading the life of a pegasus you thought was a fictional character, you kinda FREAK THE F*CK OUT!!

I dashed into the bathroom, the tub water still there, but some of it had evaporated.

I still saw the face and body of the speedy pegasus.

"Oh, I get it, I still got to wake up." I chuckled nervously to myself.

I tried to pinch myself. No hands.

I resorted to trying to beat myself mercilessly with my hooves until I woke up.

"Why"

"Can't"

"I"

"Wake"

"Up!!" I yelled, slamming my hooves into my torso.

Everything hit me at once.

I was a mare. I lost my old life. All the friends I used to know were replaced. I was going to be forced to live out a life I'd only thought was a dream.

My mind exploded. I blamed myself for falling asleep, then Luna for bringing me here, even Rainbow herself for dying.

Only one problem now, though... I am Rainbow Dash.

"I can't do this, WHY DID LUNA HAVE TO CHOSE ME?! YOU RUINED MY LIFE!!" I shouted out loud.

Then, to my surprise and fear, a knock on the door.

I flinched for a second. If somepony heard any of that, I would be as good as dead.

"Uh... Just give me a minute!!" I called back, fearfully.

I slowly approached the door, wondering whether I should have tried to find a back door or just bust through the door and never look back. But, the same part of myself that I'd ignored urged me to face whoever was behind the door.

And, surprisingly, that made me feel a little better.

I had to see who was behind the door, it wouldn't be the end of me.

Luna told me to do this, and so I'll try as hard as I can.

I opened up the door, and my heart immediately sank.

"I heard everything..." Derpy said.

Comments ( 9 )

To tell the truth, flying is easy. Landing, however, is an entirely different story. I'd learned from my mistakes so far though. I just need to pay attention.

This is true, unless it's a helicopter.

Well...
reality is stranger than fiction. Eh heh.
Great flow of events.
Maybe between the watch, the clock, and the sun, the protagonist won't be able to lose track of time again.

I gave credit where credit is due, hopefully people will know that it was you whom inspired me and therefore they will read your story also. You're fucking awesome dude! I can't wait till the next chapter! :rainbowdetermined2::rainbowdetermined2::rainbowdetermined2::rainbowdetermined2:

the second i read "HUMANS" i said out loud "oh not lyra!"

256034
The next chapter is here, just in case you didn't see it yet.

Y U NO POST?

745736
You know, regents, finals, quality checks.
Sorry, but I can't just generate stuff this good.

Is there an ETA for the next chapter?

Login or register to comment