• Published 14th Aug 2013
  • 5,253 Views, 91 Comments

A Little Visit - Annabelle RTH



Flash Sentry visits Twilight Sparkle while on vacation to Ponyville. Will Twilight take a chance on him or let him go?

  • ...
26
 91
 5,253

Chapter 40

Author's Note:

Everypony: Slight Warning: In reference to Ch. 38 and 39. Not vivid or graphic but still might strike a chord.

Anyway, been a little while since we’ve had a one on one between Flash and Shining and this one actually, almost wrote itself. I was surprised, actually. It’s been a little while since I’ve had the pleasure of a first draft completing itself on the first try.

In other news, updates will be late. I might have to put this story on hiatus for a few months… maybe even the whole summer season. I’ll be drafting when I can but not publishing. Hopefully, I can publish faster after said hiatus.

Happy Reading.

Flash’s POV

“Hello? Shining Armor?” I asked as I knocked on the door to his study.

“Enter,” Shining said without thinking. Early dad brain.

I went ahead and opened the door. He looked up from some paperwork he was staring at. His eyes were droopy, and his mane was flat.

“Huh? Oh, Sentry.” His eyes opened up slightly with recognition. Yup, new dad brain.

“Can we talk?” I asked. I knew he had a lot on his plate, but this couldn’t really wait.

“Uh, personal or professional?”

“Personal.” I walked in and shut the door.

I slipped my helmet off and he followed.

He asked, “What’s on your mind?” as I sat down and set my helmet on his desk.

“Has Twilight been acting odd at all lately?”

“Define odd.”

“Like she’s walking on eggshells, avoiding talking about me, she’s probably been making excuses to leave the room, distracted…”

“Oh, that, yeah,” he smiled with pride. “She says she’s been working on a spell combining a few different ones. Normal Twily stuff.”

“A spell, huh?” My gut was not happy about this.

“Although, now that you mention it, she’s been less in a sharing mood about you two. Normally, she gushes about your plans and whatever recipe or kitchen gadget you’re trying to master. How are you liking the waffle maker by the way?”

“Perfect. The detachable plates are a life saver.” I’m a sucker for kitchen gadgets, what can I say? “But seriously, she’s been spying on me.”

“Spying? Twilight?” Even with his tired eyes, he managed to look dumbfounded.

“Well, trying to, anyway.” She’s the total package but she can’t fool me. “Although the cloaking disguise was pretty good. Kind of entertaining.” In a sad kind of way, but still. I’ll give her credit for trying.

“Cloaking disguise?” He raised an eyebrow. “Where did she get something like that?”

“Well, Rarity’s always got something on the ready. I figured she asked to borrow a costume and she cast a spell.”

“If what you’re saying is true, then something is up with Twilight.”

“Yeah…” I already knew that. I looked down at the desk for a bit. I wanted to see what extent it was this time. I appreciate her worry, but this is getting out of hoof. She shouldn’t be bending over backwards because of this. I’ve got a handle on it, and we can be happy together, but… she still needs time. I know that. I can wait it out. She needs a little more time to get a handle on it herself.

“Any idea what?” Shining asked.

“Yeah, I do.” I looked up at Shining Armor who tilted his head to the side. “It’s private, though.”

He stared at me… the way Terra would. Not as intense as Mom or Dad but I could still feel it. The concern and authority was always an odd mix but I always knew she cared. Now with Shining Armor exhibiting the same thing, I…

My mouth opened and it felt like words were fighting their way out even though I knew exactly what to say. “Please Shining, it’s between Twilight and me. There wasn’t a fight or anything like that. I just… needed an outside perspective.”

Still, he kept his gaze. A Big Brother’s Gaze… so that’s what this is like… He wasn’t trying to scare me. He was trying to help me because sometimes, you need a small push to get something off your chest. This wasn’t one of those times and he’ll get it any second now. I’ve had plenty of practice. He can’t play cute like my sisters can and Festive and Clara were masters of cross examination.

I saw a chink in the armor as I sat up straight. Stand down. Let it go. I willed as if I was some kind of puppet master. He wasn’t making it easy. He had practice too. Seconds ticked by as our wills and intentions clashed.

“Please, Shining Armor,” I tried again. Just like I would to Terra and Clara and Festive. I dug into myself and brought out the colt I was inside that just wanted to be left alone. Eventually, he closed his eyes, and I relaxed slightly. I couldn’t let my guard completely down. He wasn’t fresh but that didn’t mean he was down.

“Anything I can do to help?”

Now this question, I was ready for. “Just keep an eye on Twilight and don’t press for details.”

He let out a breath and when he opened his eyes, he looked at me through tired and worried eyes. “I understand.”

I nodded. “Thank you,” I told him, grateful that he would play along. “I’ll be off then.” I slipped my helmet back on, but he didn’t follow.

Before I hopped out of the chair he said, “Take care, Flash.” I looked back at him. He smiled at me but… it was a slight quirk of a smile as if… he was trying to be gentle. “My door’s always open.”

My eyes widen for a second before I forced them down to normal size. I couldn’t break now, but… even though we’re only as close as we are because I’m dating Twilight, I really do want to be his friend. Here he is, extending it to me. He wasn’t just being polite. He cared… he cares. “I’m going to hold you to that,” I finally said with my own smile. I took my leave and shut the door behind me.

I walked the way I was trained to since I got my cutie mark and took a second to look around me. The snow and crystals that everything was made of created a lovely glow. It’s cold but it is a stunning place to behold.

Then, I slammed my head on the banister and all the air in my lungs rushed out and I couldn’t get it back in. My heart and lungs stung while my brain pounded against my skull. That took a lot more out of me then I thought it would. I just wanted to know how Twilight was doing, not avoid an interrogation. Ugh, Shining Armor. He doesn’t want to know, not really. No pony wants to know about something like this. And I wasn’t about to dump it on him.

I… I should write Terra a letter.

I took a breath and brought my head up from the banister. I took one last look from the banister and took a breath. Time to go to work. I walked through the halls to get to my post near Flurry’s room.

I relieved the guard who was there and about two seconds after he rounded the corner, the door to Flurry’s room opened. I smiled when I spotted the familiar horn and mane poke out.

“Oh, good,” she said when she spotted me.

“Something wrong Your Highness?” I asked as she closed the door behind her.

She went into Princess Mode. “No, nothing’s wrong. I’m taking a small break.” She walked up to me. Technically, not a lie and I wasn’t going to hold it against her. I faced her slightly and saw her regal smile grow tight and her hoof pulling at her mane.

“How is Her Young Highness today?”

She stopped pulling at her mane and looked at me for a second before she was back in Princess Mode.

“She is well.”

“Good to hear.” I nodded. I paused and took in our surroundings. No pony else was around so I said, “I’ve noticed you been taking a lot of breaks.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t say that.”

I pulled my helmet off of my head and I smirked as soon as I heard her small gasp. She was struggling to maintain her Princess Mode. “It has been interesting seeing around so much though.” I watched her face turn red. “Your best one was the bushes near the garden outside.” I chuckled. She didn’t realize Pinkie tied a balloon to the disguise so that she wouldn’t lose it. Pinkie snuck by when she realized the balloon was still floating.

That tore right through her Princess Mode. “Eh, huh, blah, I’m sorry.” He whole body slumped slightly, and I couldn’t see her eyes past her bangs.

I let out a breath and smiled. That was enough teasing. “Nothing to be sorry about. I appreciate the concern, Twilight. But how about just approaching me next time?”

“Next time?” Her head shot right up. Her eyes were wide with surprise.

“When no pony’s around, sure. Just try to cap it at four total.”

It’s not like we don’t talk while I’m on the clock. We keep it short and usually she’s so caught up on a project, mission, or event, it never became a regular thing. And honestly, I prefer it that way. The guard brings her up on a professional level, usually. It’s only after I’ve had some days off that they ask about her on a more personal level. Sometimes, ponies just can’t help themselves. I don’t blame them, of course. They’re disciplined enough that our relationship isn’t at the top of the gossip going around the castle. I give them enough to satisfy their curiosity. We actually might run into Raven tonight. She mentioned she might talk her boyfriend into going to the same play Twilight and I were planning on seeing.

“Ah uh.” She closed her eyes and cleared her throat. She opened and said, “Yes, that will be fine.” She was calm, but not regal so she wasn’t completely in Princess Mode. She was… well… she was looking more like her herself again. I smiled, seeing her relax a little. My heart grew a little and I just wanted to… to kiss her.

“Good.” I did a once over around us. No pony else should be around for a while. Just one couldn’t hurt. Before anything else, I leaned over and I kissed her lips gently.

She silently squeaked.

I chuckled. She’s the most adorkable mare on the planet.