• Published 14th Aug 2013
  • 5,219 Views, 91 Comments

A Little Visit - Annabelle RTH



Flash Sentry visits Twilight Sparkle while on vacation to Ponyville. Will Twilight take a chance on him or let him go?

  • ...
26
 91
 5,219

Chapter 13

Twilight’s POV

We took the Square and turned it into… um, it looked like a classic Pinkie Pie Party, but there weren’t as many balloons and streamers. Rarity told me she managed to get Pinkie to not over decorate. Some lights were hung up on poles that made the Square lightly glisten. It was beautiful. I noticed a few small buffets set up around the Square. There was some light music while the DJ set up her equipment.

Some of the crystal ponies had gathered around for the party.

“Soo…, what do you think?” Pinkie asked.

“Heh, totally, awesome Pinkie Pie.” Rainbow told her.

“I’m very glad you took my advice and not covered the entire Square in balloons and streamers.” Rarity told her.

“Well, I still think there could have been a few more balloons, but it still looks great.”

“Oh it looks just beautiful Pinkie Pie.” Fluttershy said. “I’m sure we’ll all have a great time.”

“Well, what are we waitin’ for?” Applejack asked.

The music suddenly changed to something faster… and louder.

“Let’s party!” Pinkie exclaimed.

We giggled and started to dance. The girls kept their distance a little… I’m not really sure why but I didn’t pay it much mind. It’s a party. No need to think so much, just let loose and have some fun for a little while. A few songs went by before I decided to take a break and grab some punch.

“Um, do you mind if I come with you Twilight?” Fluttershy asked.

“Of course you can come Fluttershy?” I smiled at her and she smiled back.

We walked towards a snack table and I poured some punch for myself. “Would you like some too Fluttershy?”

The music started up again and I couldn’t hear her answer.

“I’m sorry, can you speak up Fluttershy.”

She tried again but I still couldn’t hear her. I came closer to her and asked her to try again.

“Oh, um, if you don’t mind.”

I smiled and poured some punch for Fluttershy. “Here you go.”

She took a sip and then told me in my ear, “Thank you Twilight.”

“You’re welcome Fluttershy.”

I took a sip and I felt her bump me.

“What is it Fluttershy?”

She pointed her hoof behind me.

I turned around noticed Flash with a few other stallions. He’s here, hm okay. I turned my head back. He’s here… He’s here! What do I do? What do I say? Why do I feel like a nervous mess? I did say we’d see each other again tonight. And I promised him a dance. I already went out on a date with him and when I was with him those sensations didn’t bother me so much.

“Twilight?” A song had just ended.

“Huh?” I shook my head and looked at Fluttershy.

“Are you okay?”

“Oh, um, fine Fluttershy.”

“Are you sure, you did look a little sick, do you need to sit down?” She looked at me worriedly.

“Oh no, no no no, Fluttershy. I’m fine. I’m just surprised to see Flash here that’s all.” I tried to smile, but the effort was hurting my cheeks.

I tried not to turn around and kept my attention on Fluttershy. This isn’t a big deal. He’s here at the party with his friends just like I’m here with my friends. Yes, we’re at the same party but we’re not here together… but I promised him a dance tonight. What do I do?

I felt something poke my shoulder. I saw the rest of the girls had come and huddled together.

“Did you notice him Twilight?” Rarity asked.

“You mean Flash?”

She nodded.

“Yes.” I blushed.

“So, how shall we do this darling?”

“What do you mean?” I thought we were just here to have fun.

“I mean, how will we get you two to dance tonight?”

“Yeah, remember? You told us you promised to dance with him.”Rainbow said.

That’s right I did tell them that.

“Oh, and we must give you a small touch up.”

“Touch up?” Applejack asked.

“Yes, something simple.” Rarity responded.

“Wait a minute. I don’t want for us to spend the entire party trying to figure out how I’m going to dance with him.” I told Rarity.

“Oh I don’t think it will take very long. We just need to distract his friends for a little while.”

“But how are we going to do that?” Rainbow asked.

“Well, if we don’t get Twilight to him quick, she might not get to dance with him at all. Look.” Applejack pointed with her hoof in the direction Flash was in. Flash was gone.

“Hey, where’d he go?” Pinkie asked.

We looked around but we couldn’t find him in the crowd.

“Hang on I’ll find him.” Rainbow said. She flew off.

“While Rainbow Dash finds your prince, why don’t we give you a small touch up?”

“What?”

“Pinkie Pie, be a dear and-”

“Here ya go.” Pinkie Pie held up the small chest for Rarity.

“Oh, thank you Pinkie Pie.” She set the kit down on the table.

“Is this really necessary Rarity?” I asked her unsure about this.

“Yeah, I don’t think Twilight needs make-up to dance with her fella.” Applejack agreed.

“Oh, it’s just a little mascara, eye shadow and blush. Nothing over the top, I swear.” She brought her hoof over her heart

“Hmm.” Applejack and I shared a look.

“It-it couldn’t hurt Twilight.” Fluttershy said.

“I suppose so…”

“You’re just not used to it Twilight.”

“That is true.” I’ve never worn make-up before. It just never appealed to me. “Mm…”

“Come now Twilight, like Fluttershy said, it couldn’t hurt, now could it?”

“I guess so… but nothing flashy right?”

“I promise.”

“Pinkie Promise?” Pinkie Pie looked Rarity straight in the eye.

“Yes, cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” After Rarity finished the gesture she said, “Please hold still Twilight, this might tickle.”

She used her magic to apply the eyeliner but it took a little while for me to stop squirming. I couldn’t help it. I felt as if she was going to poke my eye out.

“Sorry.” I said.

“That’s all right, we got at least one eye done.” She sighed. She tried again on my other eye. I still couldn’t help but squirm away.

“I’m so sorry Rarity. I couldn’t help it.” I did feel bad that I couldn’t stay still. I didn’t want to mess up Rarity’s work. She did volunteer to do it.

“It’s all right Twilight. Well… now that the hard part is over, let’s see about the eye shadow and blush. Please close your eyes Twilight.”

“Okay Rarity.”

I did. The brush tickled my cheeks. I giggled, but at least I wasn’t squirming. The eye shadow didn’t bother me much either. Rarity hummed as she worked.

“You can open your eyes now Twilight.”

“Hm, I don’t see much of a difference.” Applejack said.

“Really?” I asked.

“Nonsense, I think it brings out her simple elegance. Don’t you think so Fluttershy?”

She said something but none of us could hear her.

“What? Speak up Fluttershy.” Applejack told her.

She came closer to me and said, “I think you look great.”

I smiled. “She agrees with you Rarity.” Rarity smiled.

“Now that Twilight is all prettified let’s get her that dance.I’ll wave to ya Pinkie and that’s when you get the DJ to play the song.” Applejack said.

“Okie dokie lokie.” Pinkie Pie bounced off towards the DJ’s booth.

“Hm? Where is Rainbow Dash? I figured she’d be back by now.”

Rainbow Dash flew by and missed us.

“Rainbow Dash!” Applejack called out to her.

Rainbow quickly switched directions and flew back towards us. “You’re not going to believe this, but he’s hanging out with your brother.”

Applejack, Fluttershy and Rarity had worried looks but I wasn’t worried at all. I was glad. Shining Armor said he was going to try to be Flash’s friend. Hanging out with him at Pinkie’s party was a way to get to know him better.

“What are you all worried about? Shining isn’t going to hurt him, he’s just trying to get to know him.”

“How can you be sure?” Rainbow asked.

“I told you, he’s going to try to be Flash’s friend and Shining would never lie to me like that.”

“Either way, we’ve got to get Flash alone. He can’t have any distractions. Twilight has got to have his undivided attention.” Rarity said.

“Why don’t I just go up and ask him?”

“In front of your brother?” Rarity giggled. “No, no. Twilight, Flash might not take you up on your offer. Besides, it’s proper for the gentlecolt to ask his lady to a dance. And what if you get nervous again?”

“Well…” It does still happen, but I think once we start talking it’ll be okay. I might still have a funny feeling in my stomach but at least then it wouldn’t bother me. I was fine on our date earlier. I should be fine now.

“Great, okay, how do we distract Shining Armor?” Rainbow asked.

“What about Princess Cadence?” Applejack asked.

“What about me?”

Cadence showed up behind Applejack.

“Oh, perfect. Princess Cadence can distract Shining Armor long enough for Flash to notice Twilight and ask her to dance.”

“Um, I guess I could help.” Princess Cadence had an unsure look on her face.


Flash’s POV

Twilight was right. Pinkie Pie can throw a good party. I just hope I’ll be able to get up tomorrow morning. Oh, well, what’s life without taking chances? I came with a few buddies I met a while back who were kind of bugging me about coming along. Something about getting out more.

I heard somepony clear his throat. I turned around to see the Prince smiling at me. I knew that he was going to try to use this party to get all buddy buddy with me but that smile was kind of creeping me out. He was trying though. He’s actually not bad company, but the trying to smile was not working out for him.

“Evening Sir.”

“Evening, do you gents mind if I steal your friend for a bit?” Again he’s trying but it still feels like he’s going to pummel me… but he won’t. I know that. He won’t risk upsetting Twilight. I don’t need to be afraid. I’m not afraid.

My fellow guards moved along and Shining Armor gestured for me to follow him. We made it to a buffet table.

“What’s up?” I asked. Just act as if he was an old friend.

“Nothing really, just thought we’d talk for a bit.” It still felt like I was in for an interrogation.

“Yeah… this is about my date with Twilight isn’t it?”

“I just want to know how it went. Sorry if I um-”

“Relax Sir, I’ll tell you what you want to know.”

“Well… how did it go?” All right, no hostility, he’s not nervous. He sounds natural.

“I think it went well.” I smiled a little.

“How well?” He asked.

“Well enough. She looked… happy to be there with me. We saw every exhibit, had a few laughs and she promised me a dance tonight.”

“A dance?” He looked a little worried.

“Yeah… that’s not a problem is it?” I eyed him a little.

“Well, no, but dancing… isn’t really one of Twilight’s strengths.”

I looked at him funny. “She can’t be so bad.”

“You think so huh? Listen, just watch how she moves. She actually might accidently punch you in the face.”

“What?” I looked at him in disbelief. She can’t be bad enough, that she could harm the ponies around her… and was he actually giving me advice?

“Trust me on this one.”

Yes! He was giving me advice. He was trying to help me. This is major. He’s being a friend. He was actually concerned about me. Wait til Twilight hears about this.

“Uh, thanks for the tip.”

“Well, it’s your first dance. The last thing you need is a bloody nose.” He smirked.

He’s teasing me. Haha, I can’t wait to tell Twilight. She’ll flip.

“Am I interrupting something?”

We turned to see Princess Cadence smiling at us.

“Oh, Cadence, Hun, no. Nothing really.”

“Good.” She smiled at me. “Sorry Flash, but I’m going to have to take Shining away for a bit.” She winked at me… Something’s up.

“Uh, no problem.” I said. Whatever it was, Shining Armor had to go. What is she up to?
Shining gave Cadence a weird look and she just smiled.

“Come along Shining.” She started to push him away while the Captain protested a little, but soon he just let her take him away. They were nearly across the square when I felt something tap my shoulder. “Hm?”

I turned around and found Twilight.

“Hi.” She said.

Whoa…uh… I blinked a few times just to make sure I wasn’t imagining things. I wasn’t sure what she did, but she looked… extra radiant. Sure, in the moonlight and with the crystal everywhere she kind of glowed… but now. Heh, wow…

She smiled at me.

That’s still her prettiest feature.

“Uh, hi.” Somehow, I got that to get out of my mouth. I shook my head. “Um, hi Twilight. Sorry, I just…” What to say? What to say?

She giggled. “It’s okay Flash. I was a little surprised myself.” She looked away and blushed a little.

I calmed down a bit. “You look great though. I like it.” I smiled at her. Okay, just keep your cool from here on out. You got this Flash.

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome…” I cleared my throat. “So… may I have the next dance?” I bent down and held out my hoof to her.

She smiled brightly. “Of course.” She placed her hoof into mine.

I smiled back at her. This… this felt right. For like a second we smiled at each other and for a second I couldn’t hear anything.
I was totally focused on her. There was no pony else. No party going on. Just her and me.

We walked to the dance floor. Suddenly, the music just stopped. I looked towards the DJs booth and saw Pinkie Pie waving. What’s going on here…? I looked at Twilight. She was looking over at Pinkie Pie and she seemed a little worried… surprised… something like that. She was smiling, but it was a nervous smile. She looked at me with that same smile. Yeah… something’s up.
The next song that played was slow and soft. A ballad huh? I looked at Twilight again. I think I’m beginning to understand. I smiled back at Twilight. We got a little closer and before you know it, we were slow dancing to the song I had to guess was Pinkie Pie’s pick. At first Twilight was a little stiff, but she loosened after a while. Her fur and mane were really soft and smelled wonderful. I had my eyes closed for a while just kind of going with it. Moving with her and not paying attention to my movement.

This was okay. This was right. I was in my own little world with her right there with me. A world where there was just us and all the time in the world. No such thing as responsibility and no pony to ruin it for us. I was so lost in it all. I actually forgot we were at a party.

It wasn’t until the song ended, that I opened my eyes and saw a pretty interesting sight. I saw Prince Shining Armor and Princess Cadence dancing themselves a little ways from us. Shining Armor was smiling… but he still looked pretty serious. I think he was silently congratulating me while making it clear that he would pummel me if I tried anything funny. Princess Cadence was smiling too, but at least her eyes told me she was happy. I think she was admiring the scenery.

“Is something wrong?”

“Huh?” I looked down at Twilight. She was looking worried. “No nothing’s wrong Twilight. Everything is perfect.” I took her hoof and kissed it. “Just prefect.” I looked at her and saw her smile and turn her head away from me. She blushed. I blushed. And then I looked over at the royal couple.

Prince Shining Armor still smiled but his eyes told me that he was sad and a little in pain. I had a feeling this was more than just about protecting his little sister. He’s afraid. Afraid that I’ll cause a strain between them. I felt my own heart break a little. I know the feeling, but he’ll see. I won’t change anything between them. He’ll figure it out. Princess Cadence was still smiling, but she was looking at me the same way my mom looked at my sisters when they left for prom. She looked like she was about to cry tears of joy. I’ve really got to find a way to thank her for her encouragement and help. She’s been like another sister to me. There’s got to be something I can do to repay her. But I think can save that for later.

“Um thanks.” Twilight giggled a little.

“It was my pleasure.” I smiled. Today was so amazing. I finally got to go on a date with Twilight, Shining Armor made huge progress, I got to go to an awesome party and to top it all off I slow danced with Twilight. It made my heart sink when I remembered that she would be on a train back to Ponyville tomorrow afternoon. I wouldn’t get to see her again for weeks… maybe even months. With her role as a Princess she has more responsibilities and a lot to learn. Meanwhile, I have my own duties that keep me here in the Crystal Empire most of the time.

“So I guess it’ll be a while before we see each other again huh?” I kind of avoided the subject all day, but now I gotta know.

“I…” She looked for the right words. I just waited patiently for her to respond. She sighed. “Yes, I’m afraid so.”

“We can still write to each other though right? Like before.”

“Of course. I’m sure it won’t be too long before I can visit again.”

“Wait, so…” Just let it out. Princess Cadence already said that Twilight likes you. Of course she’ll go on another date. But just to be sure. I need to hear it from her. “Does that mean that you wouldn’t mind, um, going on another date with me?”

She looked at me surprised and then she blinked a few times. What does that mean? I need a yes or a no here. “I’d love to go on another date with you Flash.”

“What? Really?” I might have been a little too excited. Why was I even nervous? Of course she would go on a second date.

“Yes.” She smiled. “I was thinking it could be a simple picnic.”

“Sounds good to me.” I smiled.

Author's Note:

So I managed to get this one out in time For Labor Day Weekend. Hope you all enjoyed. See ya next time.