• Published 14th Aug 2013
  • 5,211 Views, 91 Comments

A Little Visit - Annabelle RTH



Flash Sentry visits Twilight Sparkle while on vacation to Ponyville. Will Twilight take a chance on him or let him go?

  • ...
26
 91
 5,211

Chapter 9

Flash’s POV

Alright Flash, don’t cower, don’t let him get under your skin. He’s not different from you. You played the protective older… and younger brother. We can talk this out.

I was standing in front of Prince Shining Armor’s study in the morning. He had asked me to come today after our little chat yesterday before he would spend the day with Twilight. I knocked on his door.

“Who goes there?”

“Flash Sentry Sir.”

“Come in.”

I opened the door and walked into his office. He was working on some paper work from what I could tell.

He looked up and said, “Sit down Flash.”

I did and then he placed some papers in his desk drawer before looking at me. I sat there in my uniform just hoping I wouldn’t come out scared out of my mind.

“Listen Flash, I’m sorry about yesterday. I was out of line.”

Well that was unexpected. I stared at the Prince trying to read him. He was tense. It was slight but definitely there. He wasn’t genuinely sorry but I’ll take it. It might be Princess Cadence’s doing but it just might be what I need. I don’t need to be afraid. I’m not afraid.

“You can speak now Flash.”

“Apology accepted Sir.”

“Now that we have that out of the way.” I was afraid that. There’s more and I had a feeling that it wasn’t about my performance as a guard. “I know you were out with my sister last night. What happened?” Now he was reading me. I took a deep breath and let it go past me. Not slammed into me.

“Nothing out of the ordinary. We went to dinner, took a trot about the park and then came back to the castle.”

He stared at me. I didn’t feel it. I wanted to smile but I kept my face neutral. Couldn’t let the Captain think that I was growing cocky. It wouldn’t look good on my record.

“Is that all? You didn’t ask her on another date?”

“It wasn’t a date to begin with.”

“Then what are your intentions?” He stared at me, squinting, trying to read me.

I opened my mouth but well, this conversation didn’t seem like it should be formal. It’s not right that I’m facing my boss and the older brother of the mare that I like. “Permission to speak freely Sir?”

Captain Shining Armor looked at me confused. “Permission granted…”

“We need to get out of this office.”

“Excuse me?”

“Listen, I know what you’re going through, but bluntly asking me these questions isn’t a very good way of doing your job. Plus, you’re using the fact that you’re my boss against me. Scaring me isn’t going to prove to your sister that you’re being a good older brother. I know, because I’ve been there.”

“You have older sisters, it’s different.” He shook his head from side to side.

“Not really, I remember… when I was little, my sister brought somepony home. I wasn’t sure what was going on, all I knew was this colt came and my sister seem to really like him. She was happy, so I didn’t think much of it. But then, well…” This part of it was really hard to even remember, it’s not because I was young. It’s because I can’t stand seeing my sisters upset. Yeah, they dressed me up like a doll until I was 9 but we always had a good time, they were always there for me. After that, I may have gone… overboard with protecting them.

“He wasn’t who he seemed?”

I sighed, “I saw my sister cry her eyes out night after night, her friends were over every day, and I was just there watching it all. I couldn’t stand it.”

“You didn’t try to cheer her up?”

“Of course, but she kicked me out of her room and then her friends kept me from ever going back in. I wasn’t allowed to see her for weeks.”

“So you just left it alone?” He questioned me.

“Not exactly.”

He gave me side glance.

“I may or may not have played spy on a few more occasions other than official guarding business.”

“You spied on the colt?”

“It only took two days to understand what was going on. I saw him with another mare and then I heard him talking with two buddies of his in the locker room of the high school. He was just trying to well…”

“I think I get the picture, but please continue.”

“Let’s just say, he got what was coming to him. Afterwards, I kept an eye on every colt my older and younger sisters brought home.”

“Wait, you have a younger sister?”

“Two younger sisters actually.”

“So you grew up with…”

“Five sisters and I’m the only colt.”

“Yikes.” He looked surprised. I always get that.

“It wasn’t all bad. Yeah sure, I had to wear a bonnet for an hour out of the day, but it was fun.” I saw him crack a smile.

Okay, I’m heading to good terms.

“All, right, um, go on Flash.”

“Well, then later, when I bulked up a bit, I scared off a few, but one too many later and they all just hated me. It was a nightmare for me. They wouldn’t talk to me and they pretended as if I didn’t exist at all.”

He looked at me and blinked a few times.

“So, do you see? It’s the same, we’re brothers who just want the best for our sisters but intimidating might just give us the cold shoulder. And I know for sure you don’t want Twilight to hate you.”

He sighed and closed his eyes. He was in thought for pretty long time. I sat there hoping he would say something soon. I was starting to feel really awkward sitting there. He finally brought his head back and opened his eyes. “Then, how do you suppose I be a good brother to my sister.”

“Be my friend.”

“What?”

“Well, after I learned my lesson, I decided to take a different approach, instead of being hostile, I tried being friendly. I got to know the colt, treat him as if he was just another friend, not the guy my sister was dating.”

“And that worked?”

“You have no idea.” I’ve caught them when they were too comfortable and I took care of them. A few stern words and then they were out the door.

He stared at me again. He looked at me as if he didn’t know what to do with me… just like my mom. Creepy.

“All right, Flash, I’ll try it your way. Come on.” He got up from his desk and walked past me.

“Where are we going?” I got up from my seat.

“The garden. Is that neutral enough for you?”

“Sure, why not.” At least he was going to try it.

We were silent the entire way to the garden. I sort of just looked at the back of his head and then at the floor. I really hope this works. I wanted him to understand that I just want to get to know Twilight. I really like her. That much I know for sure and I’ve got to prove it to him.

“So, Flash, how did you two meet anyway?”

“Uh, well we bumped into each other when she visited the Crystal Empire for the Princess Summit, but I think I only said like three words to her. After that I met her again when I took leave to go to Ponyville. I went to the library to check out a book and met her there.”

“I see.” He glanced at me. “How about, what do you like about Twilight?”

I knew this was coming.

I started to think about Twilight, and said whatever came to me. He needed complete honesty and if I got to go into a daydream while talking to him, I’ll do it. “She’s got this certain, spark. There’s such passion in her eyes with determination to match. Her knowledge amazes me and she’s a good listener. She’s a nice mare but she also won’t allow somepony to wrong another pony. The sending back my letters with notes was kinda weird, but at least I knew she was paying attention.”

I heard him laugh. “How bad could your writing be?” Okay, so he asked a question just about me, this is progress.

“I think she has a problem with my structure or something. I never could write too well. I read more than anything.”

“Oh yeah, I think I remember you’d have a book with you when you weren’t training.”

“There wasn’t much else to do.”

“I thought you had friends.”

“I did, but I was responsible. Remember the one day you came to visit and everypony was kinda… sluggish?”

“Yes…” He looked at me funny.

“Big party the night before and it did not treat everypony well.”

“Must’ve been a good one though.”

“Oh, yeah, only not everypony was able to remember what happened.”

He laughed a little to himself. “I remember those wild nights.”
He went on about a few parties he went to back when he was in training and of a lower ranking. I told him more about my time in training and even a bit about my family. After some time, he looked up at the sun and said I should return to my duties.

I nodded and I saluted before I went back to the castle. I left knowing that everything would be just fine. Shining Armor asked more about me rather than Twilight and me which I know for a fact was hard for him. I remember the first time I tried this tactic, I kept going back to my sister and he’d get really nervous. When I asked more about him, he was more open and willing to share. I learned plenty and judged his character more easily this way. He turned out to be a good stallion.

Now, I guess, I can only wait and see how things go.

Author's Note:

So, I'm still working on how to further move the story a long so updates will still lag but they should come more frequently. I am glad and grateful to you readers who have given my story a chance. You all have been awesome to me and welcomed me to the site. Thanks a bunch, and enjoy the rest of the story... once I, you know, write it out.