• Published 14th Aug 2013
  • 5,288 Views, 91 Comments

A Little Visit - Annabelle RTH



Flash Sentry visits Twilight Sparkle while on vacation to Ponyville. Will Twilight take a chance on him or let him go?

  • ...
26
 91
 5,288

Chapter 11

Flash’s POV

My shift ended and I was about to go and change out of my armor when I heard some familiar giggling. It was coming from outside, I peeked out a window and saw Twilight and the Captain. They were just coming into the castle with smiles on their faces. They looked tired though.

I smiled. It kind of reminded me of me and my sisters, together and happy. I remember some days during the summer all we did was spend the day in the park doing whatever. When I was younger with my older sisters, I somehow managed to always knock myself out and one of them would carry me home on her back. When I got a hold of my first guitar I brought it along too. I wasn't any good at first, but a little practice did the trick. I guess you could say I did mini performances with my guitar for a while. My sisters would dance and sing along, the colts and fillies at the park would join in too. It was fun. We'd have enough by sundown but as tired as we were, we always had enough energy for some ice cream on the way home.

I really miss those days. Life was just perfect. Nothing to worry about… and then the dramas of growing up happened. I think Ruby took it the hardest though. When our oldest sister left home and started her new life in Manehattan it was like Ruby turned into an entirely different filly. She was depressed and I couldn't do anything about it. I tried everything, from playing my guitar to helping her earn her cutie mark. Nothing seemed to work, until our sister visited. Ruby brightened up and now we get constant visits from Terra. Now that's she grown up a bit she's come to understand that we've all got to go eventually, but she still has a hard time of accepting it once it actually happens. We all feel bad but we can't stop life. Can't keep ourselves from growing up.

I shook my head. I'm sure Ruby will be over my transfer soon. She'll be playing hide and seek and writing a new story in no time. Yeah, nothing to worry about.

"Oh, hello Flash."

I turned around and bowed my head. "Hello Princess Cadence."

She sighed. "You may rise."

I stood up.

She gave me a weird look. I looked away. I didn't really like that look she was giving me. "You don't have to be so formal Flash." She walked closer to me. "You're practically family." She gave me a side hug. This is just… weird.

I cleared my throat. She let go of me and I took a step away from her. "Um, is there something that you want to talk to me about?"

She blinked a few times but smiled after a while. "Now that you mention it, yes. I heard that a certain guard finally asked out a certain princess." She was smirking a smirk I've seen too many times on my own sisters. And if she's anything like they are, then she's not letting this go. I had to come clean, especially since she's the one who's been encouraging me and gave me the idea for my first date with Twilight.

I sighed. "Yep, I finally did it last night."

She squealed and clapped her hooves together. "I'm really happy for you two." She smiled really hard.

"Thank you Princess, for everything."

"Oh, all I did was talk. You two were the ones to really take action. I just guided you into that certain direction."

"Either way, thank you. I don't know if I would’ve had the guts to ask Twilight on a date without you."

"Well then, you are welcome. I'm just glad to see Twilight so happy. You should have seen her face when she talked about your time together last night."

I blushed. Twilight talked about me… about us. I looked away knowing Princess Cadence would be smirking. Just like my sisters. I thought about it again. Twilight with her friends talking about our almost date… I remember, listening in on a few sleepovers my sisters had. They did the same thing. I remember the same lines over and over again like we're just meant to be and I can just imagine our wedding day. Now I'm wondering… what exactly did she say last night? Would Twilight have said the same things?

"Aw, come on Flash. It was really cute. You know, she's just as nervous as you are."

"What?" I looked back at her.

"Well, yeah. You're the first boyfriend she's ever had."

I tried to talk but what ended up coming out was a mess of words. I shook my head and cleared my throat. "Eh, um. I'm not her boyfriend. Eh, not saying that I don't want to be but…" I tried to breathe. I didn't want to say the wrong thing and have Princess Cadence mad at me. She's helped me make it this far and I'm sure I'm still going to need her encouragement. "Um, I'm pretty sure both parties have to agree to the titles." I gulped and looked at her scared.

She just smiled and laughed. "Do you really doubt it?"

At first, I wasn't sure if she expected an answer, but then her face changed. She looked at me worriedly. "Uh, well, I mean, it's a pretty serious thing and we haven't even gone on a date."

She was studying me. I kind of just looked passed her.

She faintly huffed. "Well, I guess you're a smart stallion to not get ahead of yourself, but this is something you want right? To be with Twilight I mean."

I took a breath. "Yes, yes I do want to be with her. But I also won't jump right into it. Even with your blessing."

She smiled. "Just as long as you're clear on what you want, I think you and Twilight will be just fine."

"Thank you for understanding."

She just smiled.

"Um, do you mind answering something for me?"

"Oh," she was a bit surprised, "Well sure, what is it?"

My old curiosity came back. "What did Twilight say about last night?"

She gave me a knowing look. "Positive things. She enjoyed your company and she can't wait for your first official date."

I had a feeling that was all I was going to get. No details. Could never get much out of my sisters when it came to their dates. Oh well. I've still got a date with an amazing mare.

"Thank you for sharing that with me." I bowed.

"You're very welcome."

"Well, I'd best be on my way now. Good evening Princess Cadence."

"Good evening to you too Flash."

Back in my room, I noticed there was a package on my desk. I remember the mail mare delivered it right after I had my talk with Captain Shining Armor earlier today. I put it away before I went to breakfast.

I opened it up and saw some brownies, a guitar pick and a letter. Wait a minute… I know that pick. The blue one with a pink swirl. That was my first guitar pick and I gave it to Ruby before I left for the Crystal Empire… This is either really, really good or really, really bad.

I picked up the letter hoping it was from Ruby. I opened it up and started to read it.
Dear Flashy,

It's Ruby and I just wanted to say I'm sorry about the way I've been acting.

I know you love me and will always look out for me, even when I'm acting like a total brat. I kind of forgot that for a little while because I didn't want you to go. I wanted to you to stay home, even if you just moved into another house just as long as you were still in Canterlot.

I love you Big Brother, you're my favorite brother and the only one I've got. I didn't want to lose you, but I also want you to do what you love and be happy. I know how important being a royal guard is to you and I don't want to distract you from that.
I'm okay now, I played hide and seek with Mommy and Daddy all day yesterday, so you don't have to worry about me. I'm happy knowing that my big brother will be the best guard ever. I know you can do it Flashy. You've always protected me when we played pretend. Flash Sentry was the best royal guard Princess Ruby Write ever had.

I know it will be a while before we can see each other again, so I hope it's okay that we write each other tons of letters in the mean time.

With love,

Your little Rubes

I smiled and I cried a little. Awe, Ruby. I love you too. I wiped the tears from eyes. I've been waiting for something like this for weeks now. Something to tell me that my baby sister was okay. I've seen what happens to her when something like this happens and as a caring brother, it hurt me to see her like that.

It hurt me even more these past few weeks knowing that I was the cause of it. I didn't want to hurt her, but I didn't have a choice. I had to come.

I took a deep breath. What a relief. I was starting to think it would take months before she felt better about this… um arrangement. I was about to place the letter back when I noticed a smaller piece of paper inside of it. Huh? I put the letter from Ruby down and took out the little note. I read it.

I smiled. Today was a good day.

Author's Note:

So, the next chapter will finally be their first date... which I'm still trying to work out. But I'll get there. Afterwards we'll get to see Pinkie's Party and have some fun with that.

See ya next time.