• Published 14th Aug 2013
  • 5,202 Views, 91 Comments

A Little Visit - Annabelle RTH



Flash Sentry visits Twilight Sparkle while on vacation to Ponyville. Will Twilight take a chance on him or let him go?

  • ...
26
 91
 5,202

Chapter 31

Flash’s POV

Well, I know I gave her my key but I didn’t expect her to be here asleep on my couch for the second time in two weeks. I stepped inside and closed my door. Suddenly, the chills I was getting from the early fall weather disappeared. I was worried. I thought she might stop by after the Tirek, Starlight, and well… losing the Golden Oak Library. The whole Tirek mess got everypony on edge, especially up here. The Crystal ponies were still pretty spooked about the whole ordeal, too close a call for them considering their history. I don’t blame them.

Ultimately, I was pretty scared myself. The changelings were a giant army and Discord has crazy magic but we could still try something. The minute Tirek was in front of you, all your magic and strength was drained. I took extra shifts thinking it might help me and help others feel less uneasy. Heck, just stepping out the door caused my senses to go into overdrive. No amount of training in the world could prepare you to suddenly lose your power. I’ve coped as I normally do. Eventually, it goes away. It always does. Twilight and the girls make miracles happen but this one was way too close.

I watched Twilight as I unpieced my armor and hung it up in its spot trying my best to keep quiet. The first time this happened was when the Duke and Duchess of Maretonia visited the Crystal Empire and she felt that her contributions as a princess were miniscule. Not enough to pick up a pattern but after the past few weeks, it wouldn’t surprise me that it was all just too much for her.

Lately, her letters have changed so drastically. They’ve staggered, increased and then staggered again. She’s also, well, babbled in written form. It was the weirdest thing. I could’ve sworn she had fallen asleep while writing a few times and her train of thought was completely caught off but she would start up again with something else. Her letters have been so long I’ve fallen asleep reading them. I still had a small pile to go through, including one I just got today.

I walked up to her and carefully removed the book that was on her head. I pulled the blanket I kept on the couch over her. Wouldn’t want you to get chills Princess.

For hours, I stress cleaned, stress cooked and stress worked out. We had a small exercise room in my apartment complex that I took advantage of. Surprisingly, through everything, Twilight barely stirred. Is she really that tired? While I worked, I still worried about Twilight. So much has happened and as much as I know that she’s strong… I mentally kicked myself. She’s my girlfriend for Celestia’s sake... But I still have my duty.

I was so, so close to abusing my connection to Princess Cadence and Prince Shining Armor so I could see Twilight. But I just couldn’t do it. What kind of guard, what kind of pony would that make me?... But I know, I know that the moment she asks for me, I’d drop everything to see her.

With the pasta sauce simmering, and the dinner rolls prepped to go in the oven when she would wake up, I sat at the end of the couch reading her latest letter. Maybe, she gave me an explanation.

Not long after I sat down though, she started to stir. I took a quick glance at the clock on my side table. Huh, she’s got good timing.

I set the letter down and called to her. “Twilight?”

“Mmm.” She groaned, waking up.

“Heeey, there she is.” I said smiling at her without looking worried.

She yawned and sat up. While rubbing her eyes she asked, “Mm, Flash?”

“The one and only.” I gave her jazz hooves like my sister taught me, thinking the silliness might get her to perk up.

“You cut your mane.” She pointed out moving closer to me.

“Oh yeah,” I forgot I had gotten a manecut. “It was time. It was getting too long to manage. What do you think? Too short?”

“Mmmm,” I felt her smooth out my mane. “It’s still fluffy, so I like it.”

I chuckled. “Yeah, I really lucked out with a great mix of my parent’s hair genes.”

She giggled slightly. Okay, she’s waking up.

She looked at me curiously with tiredness in her eyes I had never seen before. “How long was I asleep?”

Again, I tried not to look worried. I couldn’t really smile at her though. “A while. I managed to get in a workout, cook and clean.”

“Wow-” I heard a grumble. “Oh.” Twilight covered her belly embarrassed.

“I take it that’s my que.” I smiled gently at her. “Dinner will be ready in a bit.”

“What do you have in mind?”

“Well, I’ve got some pasta sauce simmering. All’s that left is to boil the pasta and get the rolls in the oven.” I took a pause to see her reaction. She seemed more tired than anything.

“Hmm.”

“…And I’ve got those smores bars you like prepped, and ready to go in the oven.”

“You spoil me.” She smiled.

I chuckled. “I try.” I was glad she seemed at least; a tad excited for dessert.

I got up to go to the kitchen and to start the water boiling. Twilight got up and followed me. I preheated the oven for the rolls. She rested her head on my shoulder and gave a yawn.

“Don’t go falling asleep on me now.” I grinned down at her trying to get her to giggle again.

“Hmm…” She nuzzled me and rubbed her eyes again. “I’m trying not to, honest.” She raised her head from my shoulder and looked up at me. She smiled in a way that told me she was playing along but she was so tired to really go with it.

“Seriously, Twilight, have you not been sleeping?” Are you studying yourself to death again?

“Mmm, yes and no. I’ve…” She looked away from me and looked at the pot.

Turning my attention to the pasta I asked Twilight, “So, angel hair, bow tie, or tricolor?”

“Mmm, tricolor.”

“You got it.” I went through my cupboard to find the right box and set it on the counter.

Twilight took a seat at the island knowing we had a little time.

“So, what’s up?” I asked as I took the seat across from her. She explained to me that she had been avoiding her new castle and has been finding excuses to stay away from it. Finally, the girls told her to take a day so they could make the castle more homey for her.

The oven beeped telling us it was ready for the rolls.

“Here, let me,” Twilight said, interrupting her own story.

Twilight-” I was too late. She used her magic to take the rolls and placed them in the oven. “Right.” I sighed and looked over at her slightly exasperated.

“I’m helping whether you like it or not.” She smirked tiredly at me.

“I still don’t understand how you can levitate with that much ease.” I still got up and looked at the water to see if it was boiling. Rolls will be a little early but that’s fine. I set the timer for the rolls and told Twilight, “Go on, I’m still listening.”

“Where was I… Right. When I was about ready to see the castle, my friends had packed a bag for me and told me to come to the Crystal Empire.” I set the timer to the pasta and walked back to sit at the island. I took my seat as she finished her story.

“Do Cadence and Shining Armor know you’re here?”

“No, I came straight here because… Well, I really missed you,” I saw her blush a little with sweet eyes that caused me to smile and blush a little myself.

“I’ve missed you too Twilight.” I rested one of my hooves on hers and smiled at her. She seemed to perk up slightly. That’s good. She was still tired but I was glad she was making some progress… and that I had something to do with it. But then I started to think back and started to feel guilty again. “And I’m sorry I wasn’t there for…” I sighed, “any of it.” I looked away until I heard her speak.

“It’s okay Flash,” she rubbed my hoof. “You’re needed here and I understand that.” I tried to smile back at her still feeling a tad guilty. “Besides, everything happened so fast, even if you tried to make it to Ponyville or Starlight’s Village, everything would’ve passed by the time you’d get there.”

I scoffed. She had me there though. My name may be Flash, but there was no way I could’ve flown to her in time. I don’t have a horn so I couldn’t teleport to her. Even if I did, a unicorn guard doesn’t have the kind of power and talent Twilight had as a unicorn let alone now with Alicorn magic. Any train or balloon ride would’ve taken too long too. Nope. No way I could’ve gotten to her in time… unless I had some sixth sense that told me she’d be in danger in a few hours. Even then, I could get a message through Cadence and she’d take the proper precautions.

Ding!

The rolls.


I did get worried again when I saw how famished Twilight was.

“Think you’ll have room for dessert?” I asked her.

“Mmm.” She nodded and then swallowed. “I didn’t realize how hungry I was until I took my first bite.”

I chuckled, and in a servant’s tone, I said, “I’m glad I was able to provide you with suitable sustenance your Highness.”

She raised an eyebrow to my comment.

“Not my best work?” I asked, not exactly expecting much of an answer.

“Mmm. I’m just more focused on my stomach.”

“Fair enough.” I shrugged.

After dinner, I suggested we for a small walk. You know, help the food go down a bit.

We caught up more and she gave me details without the ramblings of the past few weeks. I was more or less able to get the gist from her letters but her ramblings put me to sleep trying to figure out what exactly she was trying to talk about. Eventually, the chilly wind picked up and we hurried back.

When we made it to my apartment, Twilight went straight for the couch to get underneath the blanket I draped over her earlier. It wasn’t totally freezing outside but we hadn’t had time to acclimate for the season. I pulled an extra blanket from my closet to add another layer while we warmed up.

She swung her hoof out to share the blanket she had over herself. I wrapped it around me without uncovering her and layered the one in my hooves around us. She scooted closer to me as I finished wrapping the second blanket around us and I wrapped my foreleg and wing around her.

“Thanks Flash.” She brought her head to my chest and leaned into me as I leaned onto the arm of the couch.

“Of course.” I kissed her horn.

One of the nice things about the cold coming in, was warming up in a nice blanket, especially with your special somepony. We snuggled as we slowly stopped shivering. I could feel her breathing steady itself before she nuzzled into my chest while she brought her foreleg across my chest. I smiled as she pressed into me and I stroked her side a few times.

I looked down towards her. She had a small smile on her face, and her eyes were closed. She was at peace, content being here with me. For a moment, I thought she was asleep. It wouldn’t’ve surprised me if she did.

“Warmed up?” I asked her, not expecting an answer.

“Mm-hm.”

Twilight opened her eyes and she looked up at me… in her eyes, shining brightly as they usually do… there was something… oddly familiar that… well told me to lean down towards her… but I didn’t, I couldn’t. Not after the whole missed kiss thing. It hadn’t been long since then and I just didn’t want to take the chance. Besides, I’m rusty, I could be reading her wrong.

I forced myself to look over at the clock behind her. “Well… we’ve got about an hour before I have to turn off my brain for the night.” I said still looking at the clock. “What do you want to do?” I looked back at her.

“Oh…” She turned her head to the side. But not before I caught her eyes dimming and looking at the floor. “I um…” I didn’t like the way she was sounding... She pulled away from me and sat up. Her ears were curved downward, her head still turned away from me. I straightened up, studying her. This… wasn’t making any sense. I saw her bring a hoof up and grabbed her mane pulling it in a way that made sure I couldn’t see her face. “I don’t know…” She was hiding from me.

She was… disappointed… embarrassed, sad… But that didn’t make any sense… unless… Maybe I wasn’t reading her wrong after all. But…

She momentarily hugged herself. I let out a breath. Idiot. I wanted to punch myself for not listening to my gut. But none of it mattered anymore, the moment was gone and I had a disappointed princess on my hooves. Think you fool. Think!

“Welllll,” I went with the first thing that popped into my head. “Have you read Ruby’s manuscript?” I asked, hoping she’d take the bait.

“Actually…” She straightened up and looked at me with realization apparent in her eyes. “I haven’t. I can’t believe it. It slipped my mind.”

Whew! I smiled, knowing this… weirdness was over. “Don’t feel too bad. I haven’t gotten to it either.” I slid off the couch. “Here, I can grab my copy. I’m sure she won’t mind if you make notes on my copy.”

“Sounds good to me.” She smiled excitedly at me.

Another time Twilight. I promise.

After two pages, it became apparent what this story was actually about.

“It’s us…” I said, realizing what Ruby did. I held the manuscript in my hooves.

“She changed the names… and the circumstances but yes, it’s us.”

“I thought she wrote this story faster than normal.” I said, bringing my hoof up to my chin. “Finding out about us must’ve really jumpstarted her mind.”

“It would appear so.”

We looked at each other and gave each other uncomfortable smiles. I couldn’t begin to imagine what Ruby had in stored. Or what Cadence might’ve put into her head. She had fairytales and stories of past special somponies from the family to draw inspiration from but it didn’t seem that way from these pages. Ruby what have you done? This was awkward, just awkward. Okay. Fine. At least, Twilight wasn’t sad anymore, I guess. “So… wanna keep going? Or is this already too weird for you?” A part of me wondered why I bothered to ask. Maybe that book on Yakyakistan would’ve been a better read at this point.

“Well…” Her scrunched up and I could see her thinking about it. “Let’s give it a few more pages.”