• Published 14th Aug 2013
  • 5,284 Views, 91 Comments

A Little Visit - Annabelle RTH



Flash Sentry visits Twilight Sparkle while on vacation to Ponyville. Will Twilight take a chance on him or let him go?

  • ...
26
 91
 5,284

Chapter 25

Twilight’s POV

The Pegasi created the perfect day for the fair. The air was rather crisp but the sun kept us warm. My first date with Flash as my boyfriend will be amazing. Not that our other dates weren’t great, but this’ll be different. This is our first date as an actual couple. I was so excited, I could hardly sleep last night. Not that I sleep much anyway. I even sent little messages to my friends this morning through Owlowiscious telling them everything and of course, I sent a letter to Cadence.

Flash asked, “Is there anything you’ve absolutely got to eat before we leave?”

“What do you mean?” I’ve never been asked that before. Nor was it something I thought he’d ask me on our first date as a couple. He stopped walking and turned to me. I stopped short of another step.

“You don’t follow your stomach at these kinds of things?” He looked at me quizzically.

“Well, no.” It never occurred to me to. “I normally just hang around one of my friend's booths until we were all free.”

“Oh. Well, for now, do you mind if we do this my way?” He scrunched up his face a little as if this was a big deal.

I smiled and told him, “Sure.” Part of the fun of being with Flash is that he breaks my routine. Even last night, we cooked a meal together that I never would have considered otherwise. Even in my own home. I’m trying new things without giving it a second thought.

“Then we’re in luck, ‘cause I spot Applejack with caramel apples. Come on.” He’s so cute when he’s excited.

“Oh, that does sound good. You can never go wrong with an Apple family apple product.”

We made our way to Applejack’s family booth.

“Hey AJ.” Flash said.

“Hey Applejack.”

“Heya lovebirds, what can Ah do ya for?” I felt a blush when Applejack called us lovebirds. I looked at him but he turned away the other direction for a moment. He was definitely blushing too. I took a breath and tried to look Applejack in the eye.

“I’d, uh, say two of everything but I don’t think our stomachs can take all that at once so a couple of caramel apples would be good.” Flash responded.

We all laughed a little.

“Sure thing.” Applejack responded as she grabbed the apples.

Flash asked, “Mind grabbing the apples while I get my bits out?”

“Thank ya’ll kindly you two.” Applejack said as she handed me the apples. They looked perfectly covered in caramel as usual.

“Of course. And hey, mind saving three turnovers?”

“Sure thing.”

“Thanks Applejack.” I said and handed Flash his apple.

“Got an extra one for Spike?” I asked him.

“We all deserve a treat at the end of the day or early tomorrow.”

As we left Applejack’s booth, he looked over his shoulder at the line.

“How long were we standing there?” He asked.

I giggled. “Not long.” I took a bite of my apple. It was as sweet and juicy as any other Apple family apple. The caramel was thick but didn’t stick to the inside of my mouth for too long. The harmony between the apple and caramel was perfect.

“Yeah, I guess I might have forgotten how good their stuff actually is. You’ll stop me this time, right?”

I giggled, remembering the first time he came to Ponyville. Applejack had him sample some apple treats and he ended up with a stomach ache. “If you think it’s necessary.”

“Maaaaybe.” He stared at the apple and opened his mouth. He paused a few times before he went ahead and took a bite.

I smiled seeing him enjoy the apple. He smiled with his eyes half closed savoring his apple.

“Now, this is how you start a day at the fair.”

I giggled.

“You know you’re really lucky to have this kind of quality in town.”

“I think so too.”

Next up, we stopped in to see Pinkie Pie.

“Hey guys, you’ve got to try my party funnel cake.”

“What makes it a party funnel cake?”

“Fried ice cream and sprinkles!” She handed us a bowl filled to the brim with ice cream. “The funnel cake is at the bottom. Please have a seat at the side of the booth.” Before we knew it, we were at a picnic table with a view of some of the rides and artisan booths.

“What just happened?” Flash asked as he turned to me.

I giggled. “I think Pinkie Pie just wants us to have a nice time.” I smiled at him. My friends wouldn’t create an extravagant and complicated meddling plan but I know they would try a few small things, like this treat Pinkie Pie prepared for us. It wouldn’t surprise me if she brought along a pair of binoculars just so she could see us coming.

“And a sugar rush?” He lifted a spoon from the bowl and looked at me with an unsure smile and shrugged his shoulders.

He moved the spoon towards me. I looked at the spoon and then at him when it finally hit me. I opened my mouth and he fed me the spoon full.

“Maybe a little less next time.”

“Gotcha.”

“My turn.” I exclaimed and grabbed the other spoon.

“So, we’re still at the point where we use different utensils?”

“I… guess. It just seems easier than having to constantly switch back and forth.”

“Fair enough. I can go with that.” He opened his mouth and I fed him the ice cream. By the time we finished the funnel cake, I think we were both feeling kind of sick. “We’re going to need some water.”

“And maybe a small salad.”

“Want to walk over to the vendors? Maybe we can hang out with Rarity and Spike for a spell while this ice cream goes down.”

“Sounds good.” I mustered. I haven’t felt this full since the day I came to Ponyville and the Apple Family stuffed me full of their treats.

Rarity and Spike were busy helping a customer. Poor Spike was modeling twelve different scarves and a few hats.

“The things he’ll do for her huh?” Flash looked at me with that same somewhat unsure smile.

“It’s sweet in a way.”

“Yeah, not that I can talk much.” Well, that was different. I looked at him and I saw this sad, angry and confused face. It matched his tone. I’ve never heard anything like it.

“Flash?” I grabbed his hoof expecting him to look at me.

“I need a minute.” He walked away before I could say anything. I tried to say something but I was so worried, scared and confused that inaudible jumbled words came out that he couldn’t hear me say anyway. I shook my head to try to think straight. He was gone by the time I opened my eyes. I wanted to go after him but I had no idea where he went and even if I did, I should respect his wishes. That’s what a good girlfriend would do… right?

A girlfriend is a special kind of friend and a good friend, would respect the wishes of their friend. Therefore, a good girlfriend would respect the wishes of her boyfriend even if it means I have no idea where he went or what’s wrong. Yes, that’s it… I hope.

“Twilight, what’s wrong Darling?”

“Huh?” I looked up to see Rarity and Spike.

“You’re drooping your wonderful wings Twilight.”

I straighten myself out. “I need help.”

“Come, come. Follow me. Spike, would you please handle the stall?”

“You got it.”

I followed Rarity towards the back of her stall and she pulled a curtain. She sat me on her fainting couch and stared at me.

“What’s wrong Twilight?”

I stared at her. My chest felt heavy and my breathing and heart rate picked up. Am I having a panic attack? This was something different. It was like fearing being put back in magic kindergarten but weird. It felt shallow but severe.

“I-I don’t know. Flash said he needed a minute and then he left. He was looking at you and Spike and… he-he sounded so sad and angry.”

“What?”

“It was so strange. I never heard him sound that way before. He’s n-never needed a minute. He’s never just, left me somewhere.” I raised my voice off and on.

“This is just terrible.” She sat down and hugged me. “Oh Twilight, I’m so sorry this is happening to you.”

For a moment, I honestly thought he wouldn’t come back.

“Twilight? Rarity?” We heard Spike whispered.

“Yes Spike.” Rarity responded.

“Flash is here.”

We looked at each other.

“Are you ready? Do you need me here?” Rarity whispered to me.

I looked at her and then at the curtain. My chest felt heavier. I was scared. Scared of what he would say. I have no idea how he could be so upset. But I have to listen to what he has to say. Communication is key in any relationship be it romantic or friendship. I closed my eyes and took a few deep breaths.

“I’m ready.” I looked at Rarity mustering up as much determination and bravery as I could. “Please, leave us alone.”

Rarity tried to smile at me and hugged me tightly. “Spike and I will be right outside if you need us.”

I smiled a little. “Thank you, Rarity.”

She sighed and opened the curtain.

Flash stood there with a worried look on his face.

“Don’t mind me.” She walked into the stall.

I took another deep breath as he said, “Hey.”

I can do this. “Hello.”

“Can I come in?”

I nodded.

He sat on the couch. I kept my eyes on him taking deep breaths. My chest still felt a little heavy and my head felt off. Not a headache, not faint, a little warm maybe. He took my hooves in his.

“Huh.” It made me jump. I wasn’t prepared for him to touch me.

He let my hooves go and held his up.

“I’m sorry, so sorry for everything.” He brought his hooves back down. “I realize now me stepping out freaked you out and I’m sorry.”

“Okay.” It was nice to hear an apology. My chest felt less heavy and my head started to feel better.

“Please know that you didn’t do anything wrong. I’m not angry or upset with you or Rarity or Spike. No one is to blame here.”

“Okay.” I was less scared and more anxious. I was glad we didn’t do anything to upset Flash, but what got him so worked up then?

He rubbed his head with his hooves. He sighed. He brought his head out of his hooves and looked up. He took a deep breath. “Listen,” he brought his head down to look at me. He looked sad, unsure and determined. “I… have an ex-girlfriend, who… was awful to me.” He shook his head as if he didn’t want to believe what he was saying was true. “Seeing Spike and Rarity, made me remember how deep under her spell I was, how she manipulated me.” That tone again. That sad, angry, confused tone. He looked away from me. “I guess I haven’t completely worked through it.” He seemed so… defeated.

“Oh Flash.” My chest grew heavy again and I started to cry. I hugged him. “I had no idea.”

He hugged me back. “I didn’t think I would have to tell you. I told you about Star because we’re still friends. I told you about Flare because I still hear from her every now and then.”

“I do like the Hearthswarming cards she sends.”

“I do too.”

I started to rub his back.

He pulled away. He smiled at me. Not his normal smile, smile that is just a hair sad. “I don’t know about you, but I could go for the petting zoo right about now.”

I tried to giggle but a faint “Hm,” came out instead. “Sounds good to me.”

Author's Note:

Long story short, I rewrote this a few dozen times before I was happy with the development in the story. Thanks for reading