• Published 14th Aug 2013
  • 5,219 Views, 91 Comments

A Little Visit - Annabelle RTH



Flash Sentry visits Twilight Sparkle while on vacation to Ponyville. Will Twilight take a chance on him or let him go?

  • ...
26
 91
 5,219

Chapter 17

Twilight’s POV

“Hmm. Let’s see. Cadence’s letter said to meet her here in the park.” I said as I reread the letter that Cadence sent to me yesterday.

I looked around for Cadence but I couldn’t see her. She might just be on the other side of the park though. I started to walk on a path that would take me through the park looking for Cadence.

I wasn’t sure why she needed to meet me here in particular. Normally, we’d meet in the castle, but I suppose there were lighter matters she wanted to discuss. Although, I was curious as to why she made it seem so urgent.

I walked on with my thoughts until I bumped into a young red filly.

“Oh, I’m sorry Little One. I didn’t mean to make you fall.”

She looked at me curiously.

“All right Ruby, ready or not, here I come!” I heard somepony say.

The little filly gasped and tried to fly. I noticed the direction she was heading in and flew with her and helped her reach a nearby tree branch.

“Thank you Ma’am.” She whispered.

I sat down next to her.

“You’re very welcome.” I told her and smiled at her.

“Hey, wait, you’re Princess Twilight, aren’t you?”

“Yes, I am.”

I was about to ask her for her name but she squealed. “This is amazing, I’ve always wanted to meet you.”

“Well-”

“Hold that thought please, he’s coming.” She whispered and covered her mouth with her hoof.

I held in a giggle.

She was a cute little filly. Her coat was a light red and her red mane had a faint blue streak in it and a few gentle curls.
I looked down to see who she was playing with and I gasped when I recognized the blue mane below us. Flash? But then that means… I looked over at the filly. Ruby?

“Gotcha.”

“Ah!” I saw Flash take Ruby in his forelegs and flew her to the ground.

“Aw… I was sure I got a good spot. Princess Twilight even helped me.” Ruby said.

“Princess Twilight?” He asked.

“Uh-huh, she’s in the tree.” She pointed up towards me.

He looked at her with a questioning look before placing her on his shoulders.

I flew out of the tree and landed in front of them. “Um, hi Flash.” I smiled nervously at him.

“Twilight? What are you doing here?” he asked me with a confused look. “N-not that I’m not glad to see you, I’m just… curious.” He smiled nervously at me.

I smiled sweetly at him. He’s cute when he’s nervous. I was about to tell him when Ruby gasped, “Wait, you know Princess Twilight, like on a personal level?”

“Uh, yeah. We’ve um…” He looked at me as if to ask me for help. I wasn’t sure what to say. I was not prepared to bump into them like this. “…met and hung out a bit since my transfer.”

“Oh.” Her eyes grew twice their normal size. “This is fantastic! Why didn’t you tell me sooner?”

“I… I-I,” He looked at me with s lightly strained look before he grew smile. “I wanted it to be a surprise.” He looked over his shoulder at his little sister.

She hugged Flash and nuzzled him. “It’s the best surprise ever. Thank you Big Brother.” She kissed his cheek.
“Aw…” I giggled. It was an adorable scene. It reminded me of some the best times I’ve had with my own big brother. Actually now that I think about it, she reminds me of me. I was very attached to Shining Armor and was not very sociable with the other ponies when I was her age. Flash has told me she loves books as well.

He chuckled. “Don’t get too excited Ruby, I’m sure the Princess has some business to attend to here in the Crystal Empire.” He looked at me expecting confirmation.

“Yes, I’m supposed to meet Princess Cadence here in the park.”

“Wait, you mean right now?”

“Yes, why?”

“Twilight, Cadence is with Shining Armor in Canterlot. They’re going to tell your parents the good news.”

“What?”

“That’s right…” I turned my attention to Ruby who was rubbing her cheek with her hoof. “Princess Cadence told me that my first night here when we had our sleepover.”

“You had a sleep over with Cadence?” I asked excited.

She smiled and nodded. “She’s a wonderful and fun hostess.”

“That doesn’t surprise me. She’s the greatest foal sitter of all foal sitters.”

“She’s also the pony who likes to set up other ponies.” Flash commented.

“What do you mean Flash?” Ruby asked.

“Princess Cadence sent that letter, so that we would all meet up, knowing that we would be here and that Twilight would not hesitate to come. She’s been doing this for a while now.”

“Wait…” She looked to be in deep thought.

I began to think as well. Cadence has been more active in my life as of late and I suppose, by association, Flash has too. She sent him to the library, encouraged me going on a date with Flash, gave me advice on dating, and now sent me to the Crystal Empire when Flash’s family would be visiting.

Ruby gasped. She was taking deep breaths.

“What is it Ruby? What’s wrong?” He placed her on the ground and looked worried at her.

“Oh.” She quickly looked to the sky and then responded. “It’s nothing.”

“It’s something if you reacted that way.”

“I can’t say anything, I promised somepony.”

“Then I’m definitely not going to get an answer.” Flash said under his breath. He pinched his muzzle. “All right then.” He suddenly had a determined look on his face. “Let’s play along.” He smiled.

“I’m afraid I don’t follow Flash.”

“This is what Cadence wants, the three of us to hang out. A-and it’s not a bad idea. That is, if you both are up for it.”

“That’d be great!” Ruby exclaimed excitedly. “Oh please say you’ll stay Princess!” She looked up at me with me with huge eyes and a great grin on her face.

“I… suppose I could.” I didn’t necessarily have anything pressing to take care of back in Ponyville. There is that chest that appeared after the Tree of Harmony took the Elements of Harmony back. But in all honesty, I really wanted to stay, it’s been a while since I’ve seen Flash and I think I deserve a day off. I’ll work hard to find out more about the chest as soon as I get back to Ponyville. “Definitely, I would love to spend the day with you two.”

“Yay! She hugged me. At first I was shocked but her hug was warm. I hugged her back.

I looked at Flash. He looked a little shock himself.

“What should we do first?” Ruby asked.


Flash’s POV

I’ve got a few things to discuss with the Princess when she gets back.

“Tag!” I felt a tap on my leg. “You’re it, Flash.” I saw Ruby run away from me. We finished hide and seek and moved on to Tag.

I didn’t understand why she would do this. First, she brings my family to the Empire early and has a play date with my sister. Then, she keeps her for a sleepover and who knows what she told her. And now, she tricked Twilight into taking the trip up here. I can only imagine what could be going through Cadence’s head and come to think of it my own sister’s head.

“Hey! Are you going to chase us? I’m pretty sure that’s how the game works.” I looked up and saw Twilight flying above me.

“Hey, I thought we agreed on no flying!” I told her.

“He’s right Princess! Remember, I can’t really fly yet, so it’s not fair.” Ruby told her.

“Oops.”I saw her land in front of me. When she looked up and realized how close she was to me, her face changed and she said, “Oh.”

“I’m going to give you a five second head start.” I decided to cut her some slack.

We stared at each other and slowly grew giant smiles before Twilight took off running.

1-2-3-4-5! I went after Twilight. It didn’t take long for me to catch up to her but just when I was about to tag her I tripped on something and crashed into her. We rolled a little before we finally landed. I felt myself hit my head on something sharp.

“Ah.” I grabbed my head before I opened my eyes and realized that I actually landed on top of Twilight. “Um.” I stared at her and she stared at me. “I’m sorry, I-I didn’t mean it.” I quickly got off of her and looked at the ground. I felt my entire face heat up and I think it was spreading to the rest of me. My chest moved rapidly with my heart and I couldn’t think.

“It’s okay Flash.” I heard her say. I looked up and saw Twilight with a warming smile. “It was an accident. It could’ve happened to anypony.”

“Yeah, but… considering the situation, it well...”

She chuckled nervously. “I guess when you put it that way.” She looked away with her face blushing… She’s cute when she’s blushing. It kind of compliments her face. I smiled a little.

“Hey! Is everything okay?” We turned around and saw Ruby running towards us.

“Everything’s fine Ruby.” I told her once she made it to us.

“Are you sure? Princess, you have some grass in your mane.”

“Hm?” Twilight moved her hoof through her main. “Did I get it?” I looked at the top of her head and saw the piece of grass.

“No. Here I’ve got it.” I plucked the piece of grass out of her mane.

“Thank you.”

We heard some bells.

“Oh, ice cream! Flash can-”

“Of course Ruby.” I ruffled her mane a bit.

“Yay. Come one.” We saw Ruby trot towards the ice cream cart.

I heard Twilight giggle and we shared a look.

“You were right. She’s something else.” She told me and smiled at me.

The rest of the day was a giant blur. A lot of laughs and games, but something does stick out to me about this day. There was a lot of talk of magic. I think that sleepover with Princess Cadence has gotten my sister more curious about the subject.

“That’s amazing, but how are you supposed to protect Equestria now, without the elements?” Ruby asked.

Twilight just finished telling us about the fight she and her friends had with the Everfree Forest.

“I’m not sure, but I am sure my friends and I are capable of finding a way before another giant threat shows its face.”

“I wonder if I should put in a monster for my next story.” Ruby looked up taking another lick of her ice cream. She was thinking again.

“What story is that?”

Oh no.

“Oh,” Ruby snaps her head back and looked at Twilight with a huge smile. “It’s a story about dolls that come to life and are at war because a Princess refuses to marry a Prince and instead runs off with her royal guard.”

“Oh.” Twilight gave me a confused and surprised look. I shrugged. I wasn’t sure what to say to her, especially with my little sister around.

“You don’t seem very interested in the idea.” Ruby looked up at Twilight with a slightly sad look.

“Oh, it’s not that it isn’t interesting.” Twilight responded quickly responded. “It’s just very different from the last idea. War sounds rather grim for a filly to write about.”

“Well it’s not like I’m not familiar with the topic, Dad tells us all sorts of war stories.”

“Does he now? Even to you?” Twilight looked surprised, but why? I’ve mentioned this to her before.

“Yeah.” Ruby told her. “We have books upon books about the military and war. Most of them are journals from our ancestors though.”

“Journals?” Twilight asked. She looked awfully surprised.

“Didn’t I mention this before Twilight?” I asked. I was sure I told her my family history.

“You told me you come from a long line of military service ponies, but you never mentioned that they kept written records. Or that you have them.”

“Yeah. They’re back in Canterlot. Those books were our bedtime stories when there wasn’t anything else on the shelf.”

“Dad did read the Hungry, Hungry Caterpillar to death.” Ruby mentioned.

“Yeah… I got sick of that book way before I turned five.” I said recalling how much Dad read that book. I couldn’t look at caterpillars for a long time after that.

“The Hungry, Hungry Caterpillar?” Twilight asked.

“Dad loves The Hungry, Hungry Caterpillar.” I said with a bit of pain in my face. It was actually scary and annoying how much Dad loves that book.

“So anyway, um yes or no on the monster?” Ruby asked with a weird look.

“Umm…” Twilight went into thought. “I’m not sure. I think you already have enough to work with, but I also think a small role for the monster might help move the story along or lead to the climax.”

“How does your story end anyway Ruby?” I asked her. She likes to move around in her stories. Every time she writes she’d get bored with one scene and skip to another. It’s almost like a ritual with her.

“It’s a happy ending. The war ends with a double wedding. The Princess and her guard get married while the Prince marries the Gardner.”

Twilight left not long after that.

“Bye Princess. It was to meet you.” Ruby and I came with Twilight to the train station to see her off.

“It was nice meeting you too Ruby.” Twilight smiled and told her. “I hope the rest of your stay goes well.”

“Oh it’ll be great. I finally got enough research done to get started on my next story.”

“I wish you luck then and I’d like a copy if you don’t mind.”

Ruby looked like she gasped but she didn’t make a sound. “You’ve got it Princess.” She smiled brightly.

I smiled too and looked at Twilight. Then we heard the conductor call out “All Aboard.”

She looked at me and smiled sadly. “I’ll see you next time?”

I smiled and nodded. “Yeah, see ya next time.”

She turned around and hopped on the train. She looked back one more time though and waved goodbye at us. Ruby and I waved back and watched the train until it was out of sight.

“You know. I really like her for you Big Brother.”

“Huh?”I looked down at her to see her innocently smiling at me. I blushed a little.

“It’s cute and spectacular.” She was getting excited and her eyes started to grow. “How many fillies can say-” I covered her mouth with my hoof.

“Promise me you won’t say anything to anypony.” I told her.

She looked at me confused.

“Listen to me, I really like Twilight, but I’m still getting to know her. She and I aren’t coltfriend and fillyfriend. We’ve only really had one official date so I haven’t said anything about it. Please don’t tell anypony.”

She blinked a few times.

“Now I’m going to remove my hoof from your mouth okay?”

She nodded.

When I let her talk again she said, “Okay, I promise.” I sighed in relief.

She smiled brightly and hugged me. I smiled and hugged her back.

“Thanks Rubes.”

Author's Note:

Here it is. Hope you've enjoyed this chapter. See ya next time.