• Published 14th Aug 2013
  • 5,218 Views, 91 Comments

A Little Visit - Annabelle RTH



Flash Sentry visits Twilight Sparkle while on vacation to Ponyville. Will Twilight take a chance on him or let him go?

  • ...
26
 91
 5,218

Chapter 1


Twilight’s POV

Morning in Ponyville and it’s that time again: Re-shelving Day. As nice of a day it was looking to be I had work to do, besides, it’s such an important day here at the library. Using my magic, I closed the curtains and lit some candles. Then, I sat on my hunches and closed my eyes. I used my magic to un-shelf the books and then levitated them in the air. One by one I sorted through the books placing them where they belong. Spike was already at Rarity’s helping her do who knows what, so I had the entire library to myself and with no distractions of the sort. Perfect.

That is… until there was a knock at the door. It startled me and I broke my concentration. All the books that were in the air… fell. A good pile of them landed on my head.

“Whoa, are you okay?”

I popped my head to see who it was. Once I saw him I tried to hide in the pile. Flash Sentry was in my house. I haven’t seen him since the Princess Summit not too long ago.

“Here let me help.” He came up to me and pushed the books away. He took my hoof and pulled me up. I noticed he wasn’t clad in his armor. I couldn’t help but blush at his gesture. And… well he didn’t look half bad without his armor. I’ll admit I like how his mane was swept up like that.

“Um, thanks Flash.” I kind of looked to the side nervously. Even though he’s not the Flash that I met in the other world, somehow, I still get… I don’t know, maybe the girls are right. Maybe I do have a crush on Flash. It wouldn’t be the first time that a princess was attracted to a guard.

“No problem.” Then I heard him laugh a little.

“What?” I asked.

He didn’t answer trying to calm himself.

“What?” Oh, I hope there wasn’t something on my face.

He raised his hoof. I closed my eyes thinking he was… going to touch my cheek or something. I felt something lift off my horn.

“This was hanging on your horn. Sorry Princess Twilight, I just couldn’t help it.” He laughed again.

“Oh.” I sighed in relief. Was that all? Then it hit me that he was laughing because I looked silly. I felt my cheeks grow hot out of embarrassment. Darn it. I hate it when that happens.

“What happened here?” He looked around. “Looks like a twister hit this place.”

“Huh, oh nothing. I was just re-shelving.” I picked up a book in my magic and then placed it where it belongs.

“Oh.” He took another look around. “Maybe, I should come back later.”

“Hey, what are doing here anyway? Shouldn’t you be at the Crystal Empire?” I asked him taking another book in my magic.

“I’m on vacation here in Ponyville for a week.”

“Really?”

He nodded. “Yup. And I’m sorry for interrupting you.”

“That’s okay. You didn’t know.”

There was a silence. It wasn’t exactly awkward but it wasn’t exactly pleasant either. Then I noticed that so many books were still on the floor. I got my drive back for organization and was about to ask Flash to leave and come back later but he beat me to it.

“So… can I come back later?”

“Um sure.” Happy that he would, but I still have my work cut out for me. If I was going to get it done I couldn’t have any distractions… even if the distraction was a cute stallion but that’s beside the point.

“All right then. I’ll see you later Princess Twilight.”

“Just Twilight is fine.”

“Really?” He looked at me questionably.

“Really.” I nodded with a small smile. “I’m uh, still getting used to it.” I haven’t been a princess long and frankly I didn’t like how some ponies were looking at me and I don’t know, have the notion that I’m better than them or something. I may have created new magic but that doesn’t mean that I’m not like every other pony.

“Oh, well, okay then Pri-I mean Twilight.”

“Besides, you’re on vacation so there’s no need for formalities. Now if you would please excuse me.” I concentrated and lifted all the books again in my magic. “I have work to do.”

“Right. I’ll see you later Twilight.”

“Bye Flash.”

I watched him leave. I sighed and got back to work. Through the whole thing… I couldn’t get Flash off my mind. I knew that I had taking a liking to him but now I can’t even work without him coming to mind. I admit, sometimes I thought about him… as well as the Flash I met in the other world. From what I could understand, the two of them may look different, but on the inside they should be the same. Much like the others I met. They all looked and acted like my friends back here in Ponyville. Could that be why I’ve taken such a quick liking to him? Very likely, although, I’ve never really had a crush before. And how will I know if he even feels the same way?

I placed the last book back on the shelf. I sighed. How will I know if he even feels the same? I shook my head. Okay, Twilight, you know at least for sure that you’re not in love with the guy. So there’s really nothing to worry about. You just have taken a liking to him. No need to get worked up over it. He’s a nice colt. And even if he doesn’t take an interest it’s not the end of the world. A thought came to me then. What if he does have an interest in me? Oh, and he saw me with that book stuck to my horn. Great. Even if he took an interest in me it’s probably all gone now. I sighed as I made my way up to my room.

Maybe some studying will take my mind off Flash. I took a quick look at the time. Gosh, it was nearing dinner time already. I thought of Flash. I wonder where he could be. Well… maybe he wasn’t coming today, maybe tomorrow. Then, I noticed that there was a scroll on my desk. Hm. Spike must have coughed it up before he left but decided to just leave it on my desk for me. I walked up to my desk and used my magic to lift the scroll up; unraveled it, and began to read it.

My dearest and most faithful student Twilight,

Now, I know that romance may not be something you would really consider but from what I have heard from Princess Cadence, you have taken a liking to a certain guard. Don’t even try to deny it. Cadence is the Princess of Love after all. I also understand that she even sent Flash Sentry into Ponyville specifically in hopes that perhaps you might take a chance on him. You don’t have to of course, but perhaps it will give you some peace of mind and allow you to set your feelings straight.

I know you will do what’s best for you Twilight.

Your Mentor,

Princess Celestia

I read it and re-read it. At first I was I mad. Why would Cadence do this to me? I already had the mindset that friends were a waste of time when I first arrived here in Ponyville. Granted, I found that I was wrong in a day or so, but a romance is totally different. Then, I calmed down. Princess Celestia is my mentor and has never let me down before. If she thinks it would be okay to take a chance on Flash then it shouldn’t be so bad.

Besides what’s the worst that could happen? Being sent back to magical kindergarten? I shivered at the thought as it all came crawling back in. I shook my head to get it out of my mind.

“Okay Twilight Sparkle,” I said to myself. “Here’s what you’re going to do. You are going to look Flash Sentry in the eye and ask him to go out for a bite.”

That would definitely be sensible wouldn’t it? It wouldn’t be a date, just a nice little outing with a colt… a really cute and kind colt-Stop it Twilight.

I heard a knock and at the door and Flash calling my name. “Twilight! It’s me Flash.”

“Coming.” I was about to rush downstairs but I took a quick look at myself in the mirror. I ran my hoof to smooth out my mane before rushing down to greet Flash.

“Oh, hey Twilight. I hope you don’t mind I let myself in.”

“Not at all,” I said with a smile. “So, what do you need?”

“I was hoping to check out a book on past wars.”

“Grim topic.”

He shrugged his shoulders. “Well, those who don’t know their past are doomed to repeat it, right?”

“Hmm… I think I have just the thing,” I said. “Follow me.” I walked towards the shelves and started mumbling to myself. Where is it? “Aha!” I knew we had quite a few books on the matter. “You can start with this one.” I levitated the book to him.

“Thanks Twi-”

“And this one, and this one, and this one…” I kept taking books off the shelf and levitating then to Flash, not seeing that he was struggling with the load. By the time I gave him the last one he was already sitting on his hunches. “And this one.”

Crash!

“Oh.” I stared at Flash who had dropped the books. “I’m so sorry Flash. Are you okay?” I took his face in my hooves. His eyes went in circles. I shook his head. Hoping he’d snap out of it.

“Um, one or two is enough.” He didn’t sound too well. It was like he was about o puke.

“Oh, dear. I really am sorry Flash.” I looked at him worriedly. Oh, how could I have gotten so carried away? Oh, what could he possibly think of me now? I probably blew it.

“It’s okay Twilight. You just got a little, well maybe not a little carried away.” We laughed a little. For a moment we just stared at each other. It was like we were in some kind of trance. Then it dawned on me that I had his face in my hooves. I started to blush and looked away.

“Um, sorry,” I said as I let his face go.

When I looked back I saw that his cheeks were rosy too. He rubbed the back of his neck as he said, “It’s okay Twilight.” He was getting nervous too. Oh, please let this be a good sign. Then a grumbling sound could be heard.

“Uh…” I saw Flash get a weird expression as if he was caught red handed opening up his birthday presents early. “Heh.” He pulled up his foreleg towards his abdomen.

“Was that an Ursa Minor or your stomach?” I said understanding what had happened.

We laughed a little. “Good one. I’m sorry; I guess I didn’t notice I was running on empty.”

I giggled. “It’s okay.” I then realized this was the perfect opportunity to ask Flash to dinner. But before I could even try my own stomach grumbled.

“Looks like I’m not the only one.”

I just smiled like an idiot with my face growing redder. Darn it.

“Hey, how about we grab some dinner? My treat.” Flash smiled at me. I felt my knees grow weak. Darn it how is it that he can do this to me?

“That would be great.”

“Then let’s go.”

“But first, I’d better clean up this mess.” I gestured to the books that were scattered on the floor.

“Heh, sorry about that.”

“No no, it’s my fault. I’ve got it.” I used my magic to place the books back.

He whistled. “Nice.” He smirked at me. “Didn’t even take you a minute.”

I smiled brightly at his compliment.

So we walked out of the library and headed out to grab a bite. I decided to go on with some small talk. It would probably be better than just being silent the whole way.

“So… how’re you liking Ponyville so far?”

“It’s great. I’ve never been this close to nature before and everypony is so friendly.”

I giggled. “That’s us here in Ponyville all right.”

He looked at me with a cocked eyebrow. “From what I understand, you’re not a native here either right?”

“Right, I grew up in Canterlot and came here right before the whole Nightmare Moon fiasco.”

“I heard of that. Must’ve been one heck of a battle.”

“Well… it was… something all right.”

The rest of the way went rather… smoothly. I don’t know, suddenly I could just talk to him. It was nice. Actually just sitting down with Flash was the same. We had a few laughs, he told me a little bit more about his life and I talked about my studies. The way back was just as pleasant.

“And so I told him that he should know better than to mess with a castle guard.”

“Well, what did he do?” I asked.

“He high tailed and ran.” We laughed. “Yeah, there are some perks to the whole gig I guess. But it sure isn’t like being a princess.”

He got this look in his eye that got me to blush. “Oh gosh… I’m just like everypony else.”

“Mm… not everypony has wings and a horn.” He used his hoof to point at me.

I nudged him. “You know what I mean.”

He laughed. “Yeah, yeah. Oh, hey, we’re back.”

“Oh,” I said with a little sadness in my voice. “I didn’t notice.” We looked at each other kind of awkwardly. I didn’t want it to end. I was having such a good time with Flash.

“Well… it’s been great um, spending some time with you and…” I looked at him with hopeful eyes. Is he trying to say what I think he’s trying to say? “I was wondering if, well if you’re not busy, maybe we can… I don’t know, spend the afternoon together tomorrow.”

I smiled so widely I felt my face hurt a little bit. “That would be great,” I told him.

“Huh, really?”

“Definitely. I’ve had such a good time with you today.” I smiled brightly at him.

“Oh, well, I’ve had a great time tonight too.” He returned my smile.

For a moment, we just stared at each other. It was that trance feeling again.

“Uh, Twilight?” We snapped out of it. We turned to Spike who was in the doorway.

“Oh, Spike, you’re back.”

“Yeah, and I’ve been waiting for you all night.” He raised his hands up for effect.

“I’m sorry Spike.” I looked at him apologetically

“And who’s this guy?” He gestured towards Flash.

“Flash Sentry, and sorry little guy.”

“Well, next time, would it kill you to leave a note?” Flash and I giggled.

“Will do Spike. Now off to bed. You are a baby dragon after all.”

“Yeah yeah.” He yawned. “I’m going.” We watched as the baby dragon went up to bed.

“Well, he’s a cute little guy. I didn’t know you kept a dragon.”

“Yup, Spike is my number one assistant.” We smiled at each other.

There was a short silence before he spoke up again. “Well, I’d better get going. Good night Twilight.”

“Good night Flash.”

He smiled before turning away to leave.

I walked inside and leaned on the door. I sighed. This was possibly the best night of my life. I can’t wait for tomorrow afternoon.

Author's Note:

I'm a bit new to the fandum and I'm really hoping I didn't... like, have them OOC or anything. Um, tell me what you think if you would please.