• Published 5th Aug 2013
  • 7,420 Views, 510 Comments

The Titans' Orb - Mister Horncastle



Callum lives a miserable life on Earth. But that is soon to change, when some unexpected visitors change his life forever.

  • ...
40
 510
 7,420

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Ten: Booking a Flight

“Callum, thank you so much for coming out with me. I’m terrified of being outside in the dark alone…” Fluttershy quietly whimpered as we left the tent and walked towards a clump of trees.

“Eh, it’s fine. Let’s just get this over with, I want to sleep…” I grumbled.

We got to the clump of trees and Fluttershy went behind a small bush.

“Please don’t look at me.” she squeaked.

“I wasn’t planning to.” I replied, already looking in the opposite direction.

I walked a few paces away so I wouldn’t have to hear anything either.

“Don’t go too far, it’s scary out here!”

“I’m not, just get on with it.”

She said nothing more as she did her business. I looked up at the mostly obscured stars through the tree line while I waited, wistfully pondering on how much had happened today, and that tomorrow would be my first day as an officially deceased person; my mother would have arrived home by now and found my body, and goodness knows how she’d reacted to that.

“Probably sighed with relief...” I muttered to myself.

To think, by tomorrow evening, my face would be all over the news. All my old school peers and teachers would be shocked, and my extended family on my dad’s side? They’d be utterly devastated no doubt, they at least had some semblance of love for me...



I was drawn from my ruminating when Fluttershy finally came out from behind the tree and walked over to me.

{About damn time} I thought to myself, awkwardly presuming that she had needed more than just a wee. That wasn’t any of my business however, nor did I have any desire to know.

Just as we turned towards the tent, my own bladder decided it needed to go.

“You head on back, I could do with a wizz myself.” I told her.

She gave me a small nod, and thanked me once again for accompanying her.

“Don’t mention it.” I sighed.

“I mean it, thank yo-”

Ever.” I interrupted, playfully shaking my head.

Sheepishly grinning, she dipped her head and went back towards the camp. It was then that somewhere out in the woods, an owl decided to give off a loud hoot, causing Fluttershy to squeak and jump into our tent, frantically zipping it up. I lightly chuckled to myself as I found a nice bush to pee on. I unzipped my trousers and began to do my business, when I heard a twig snap, a very loud twig snap. I turned my head look around, but found nothing; I quickly finished up and was about to head back, when another twig snapped loudly. Facing the direction where it came from, I squinted hard and realised that I was face to face with a large pair of eyes.

Boo!

Jesus fuck-nuggets!” I yelped and jumped back, almost falling over.

This caused whoever was in front of me to burst into laughter, to which I immediately recognised her voice.

“Damn it Rainbow Dash!”

“Oh my gosh! You should have seen your face!” she squealed with delight.

“Couldn’t you see I was in the middle of taking a piss?”

“Yeah, which was the best time to strike, when you were all defenceless!”

“Ugh, you little blighter... If you do that again, I’m pissing right on your head!”

“Eww!” she giggled, batting a hoof at me.

I rolled my eyes and laughed too, she then asked me if I liked her owl impression.

“That was you!?” I exclaimed.

“Convincing right?”

“How long have you been waiting out here?”

Cackling to herself, she admitted that she had never even gone to bed, saying that it was only a matter of time before Fluttershy would need the bathroom, so she just waited for us both to come out.

“Ugh, you’re dreadful.” I tutted.

I shook my head and yawned, and then told the troublesome pegasus that I was off to bed for good, to which she gave a little yawn of her own and said she’d do the same. The both of us went back to our tents, and upon getting into mine, I presumed that Fluttershy was already asleep, for she did not greet me. I zipped up the entrance as quietly as possible, and wriggled into my sleeping bag. After what I’d been through today, I was exhausted, and found no trouble in quickly drifting off to sleep.



Due to letting chickens out at half-past five every morning, I had become quite an early bird, so when I woke, the sun had only just risen. I could hear birdsong outside the tent, along with somepony snoring, and if the cartoon had told me anything accurate about pony sleeping habits, it was almost certainly Rainbow Dash.
I looked over to see Fluttershy, whom was still fast asleep; I had expected her to be an adorable sleeper, all tucked up in a ball, perhaps with a little smile on her face. Much to my surprise however, she didn’t sleep nearly as eloquently. The mare was on her side, one leg tucked in, the other stretched out, her mouth wide open, and a small trickle of drool ran down her bottom lip. I quietly chuckled to myself as I unzipped the tent. I was greeted with the early summer breeze, along with a little sparrow, perched on the ground just in front of my shoes, which I had left outside the night before. The bird took took one look at me, ruffled its brown feathers, and then flew off. Reaching forward, I grabbed my shoes and put them on, and then left the tent, taking an almighty stretch as I did so.

“Well, it seems that I’m not the only early bird in the group.”

I turned around to find Miss Rarity, levitating a cup by her side.

“Morning.” I smiled, giving her a little wave.

“Tea?” she offered, retrieving a second cup out of her saddlebag.

{Trust Rarity to bring multiple teacups with her on an adventure to another planet.} I thought.

“I’m British, of course I want tea!”

She tilted her head to one side, confused.

“What does your country of origin have to do with wanting tea?”

“It’s just a stereotype, the British are renowned for loving it.” I explained.

“I see… And why is that?”

“It’s a cultural thing, our relationship with tea goes back for hundreds of years, and has become entrenched in the British way of life. Having a cuppa tea has been one of the few experiences that has always cut across all divides, whether it be racial, ethnical, social class, or otherwise. From the richest of snobs to the poorest of street rats, tea was accessible and comforting to all.” I explained.

“Huh, that’s really interesting.” Rarity murmured.

“Yeah, it goes a lot deeper than a mere stereotype, that’s for sure. Another thing is that it’s a good displacement activity, it’s the perfect thing for so many situations. Meeting a new person and need to break the ice? Experienced trauma and need to calm the shock? Need to warm up on a rainy day? Maybe a family member’s died and you need a home comfort to help you grieve? All can be achieved, with a cup of tea. Some say it’s the very lifeblood of our nation.”

Rarity smiled warmly as she poured said lifeblood into my cup.

“It was really lovely to hear all that, thank you for explaining it to me. I certainly hope our Equestrian tea can compare to what you’re used to. Would you like any milk at all?”

“Oh I’m sure it’ll taste delicious. And yes please, just a splash will do.” I confirmed.

“Do you take sugar?”

“No thank you Rarity, I’m sweet enough!” I replied with a grin.

My response drew a high pitched giggle out of her as she put the milk in, which I couldn’t help but subtly clutch at my chest at. She levitated the cup over to me, along with a cookie of some sort.

“What’s this?” I inquired.

“Just try it.” she replied slyly, smirking and taking a sip of her tea.

After taking a first sip at my own tea, (which was bloody delicious, and not too unlike Earl Grey tea here on Earth), I unwrapped the cookie and took a nibble out of it; at first, it seemed like an ordinary British biscuit, not too dissimilar to a Rich Tea or a plain Digestive. But as I continued to slowly chew, the flavour began to change, and soon enough it was rife with the taste of cinnamon. Upon swallowing the delicious treat, I was astounded even further as I was left with a vanilla aftertaste.

“Blimey... Rarity, this is divine! What is it exactly?” I exclaimed, still completely amazed.

“They’re called Threezies. They’re cookies infused with tiny edible crystals that release a different flavour when they make contact with the enzymes in one’s saliva. Once you swallow it, the crystals release yet another flavour when they react to the mucus in your throat, leaving a completely different aftertaste. So you end up getting three different flavours, hence the name. They’re a very popular treat in Equestria.” she explained.

“Whoa, that’s outstanding!”

“What’s outstanding?” another voice asked.

I knew who it was the very second she had spoken, the thick Southern accent couldn’t really be mistaken.

“Good morning Applejack, I was just introducing Callum to the Threezies. Do you want one?” Rarity replied, levitating one of them over to the farm pony.

“No thanks Sugarcube, I don’t need no fancy cookie for breakfast, I’m good with apples.” Applejack declined as she pulled a red apple out of her saddlebag, she then slung the bag onto her back and started to munch away at the apple.

I chuckled, of course Applejack would have been satisfied with apples, it was her very namesake.

“So, when are we setting off?” she asked with her mouth full.

“When the others get up.” I replied.

“Well, once they are, how exactly do we sneak onto this plane? And, how will we even know it’s going to Brazil?” Rarity asked.

{Crap.} I thought to myself.

“I’m uh, still working on that.” I replied.

How had I not thought of this yet? How the heck would I know which plane to catch? Obviously the airport would have a broad system with all the information on flights, planes, and departure times, etcetera. But getting access to that wasn’t going to be easy, especially while remaining completely undetected. Even if I somehow got to a computer with access to the airport’s system, I’d surely never be able to find the plane in time before getting caught, unless…

“Do unicorns have any spells to find certain things in large documents?” I asked Rarity.

“Hm, I haven’t a spell of such capabilities, but I’m sure Twilight has something of that ilk. With how rapidly she can search that library of hers, I wouldn’t be surprised if she was using a spell to aid her.”

After swallowing another gulp of tea, I lightly nodded my head and said that hopefully that was the case, as it could potentially be very beneficial to us.

“Elaborate?” Rarity hummed.

“Well, if possible, I could get Twilight to use such a spell on a computer at the airport, then we’d be able to find what plane we need to board, it would make things a whole lot easier than my Plan B.”

“Which is?”

“Using another invisibility spell, creeping past airport security, and finding a departure board that has all the upcoming flights, along with their respective times and gate numbers.”

“What’s so hard about that?” Applejack quizzed.

“I’m the only one who knows what the inside of an airport looks like, or where a departure board would be or what it looks like, let alone how it even works! Basically, I’m the one who would need to sneak in there, but as we learned yesterday, humans are somewhat resistant to magic. Who knows how long an invisibility spell would work on me? It could run out at the wrong time, and seeing as I’m supposed to be officially dead now, I absolutely cannot get caught.”

Rarity and Applejack both hummed with understanding, now aware of why that was only my Plan B. Rarity then pondered on if Twilight’s magic was even compatible with my technology, to which I replied that I had absolutely no idea, but it was certainly worth a shot.
As we discussed the plan, I formulated the idea that perhaps Twilight could infiltrate the Air Traffic Control Tower, as it would be significantly less populated. From there, she could find a computer and search for anything concerning Brazil, and hopefully get some information about a flight going there. I didn’t know if it would work, but if we wanted to get anywhere at all, we’d at least have to try. It was then that an idea popped into my head, which I suggested aloud.

“We could try testing it with my phone?” I posed, “I could write some random nonsense on my notepad app, and include a few keywords for Twilight to search for. If it works, then we know for a fact that magic and technology can get along!”

“That’s a fantastic idea, let’s try it!” Rarity cheered.

Applejack agreed and went to, as she put it, “wake the nerd”. She opened up the tent and disappeared inside, to which Rarity and I fell silent and worriedly listened out with anticipation.

Hey Twi, wake up.” we heard Applejack whisper from inside the tent.

No response.

Twilight, wake up. We’ve got a cool science experiment for you!” AJ said, a little louder.

Still no response.

“Twi, get up! Come on girl, wake u-JYAAH!!!

The tent savagely shook as some sort of scrap suddenly took place within.

“Why the heck would you do something like that Applejack, you scared me!” I heard Twilight yell angrily.

“I was just trying to wake you! Geez Twilight!” Applejack shouted back.

“Well don’t wake me by prodding me roughly while I’m unconscious! For all I know, you could have been that damn human trying to kill me!” Twilight growled.

Beside me, Rarity gasped and then shook her head, tutting distastefully.

“The only one around here trying to kill anything is you, trying to kill me! And for goodness sake, his name is Callum and you know it, you’re just refusing to use his name to spite him!” Applejack argued.

At this, Twilight loudly scoffed, and spat her response as though the words were poison.

“Its name is irrelevant, just so long as it assists us in finding all the pieces of the Titans’ Orb. And for what it’s worth, as a species, that thing has a built-in love for spite, so trust me, I’m doing it a favour!”

“You callous little... You know what? How about we bring Callum in here and see if you’re still up for calling him an ‘it’ to his face?” Applejack asked in a threatening manner.

“Go ahead! Go fetch it!”

“You’re gosh-darn lucky I don’t hit you back, what in fresh Tartarus has gotten into you?”

Rarity could take no more of the bickering, she emitted a single dainty cough, before trotting forward and into the tent.

QUIET!

There was utter silence, except for a coughing, a loud snort and a startled yelp from the other tents, which signalled the waking of the other ponies, and probably every living creature within the vicinity.

“Huh, what in the name of Celestia is going on?” Dashie slurred as she emerged from her tent, still half asleep.

I finished my tea and rolled my eyes, explaining that we’d just come up with a plan and that Applejack had tried to wake Twilight, only for her to freak out and attack, both physically to AJ and verbally about me, which had driven Rarity to go in and sound off.

“Sounds about right.” Dash huffed, shrugging.

“Well, I’d better enter the fray.” I mumbled, walking to the tent and leaving her to wake up.

I approached just as Rarity was halfway through verbally throttling Twilight for her behaviour.

“I don’t care about your delusional ire for Callum, if you want him to help us find the Orb, you need to stop speaking about him like you’re the most vile creature on the face of Equus! From day one, you’ve spouted accusations about someone you know absolutely nothing about! Meanwhile, he’s just gone and put in more effort than you have towards our mission! Callum’s has been brainstorming with me since he woke up, and just theorised a way of getting to Brazil. Yet here you are, badmouthing him like your life depends on it! Haven’t you a shred of modesty, Twilight Sparkle?”

“Maybe my life does depend on it…” the purple unicorn grumbled.

She then scowled at me as she noticed me enter, to which I gave her a friendly grin.

“What do you want...”

After a brief moment of silence, she eventually forced herself to speak my name to appease Rarity.

“... Callum?”

I got to my knees and put my hands together, looked her in the eyes, and pouted. I then replied to her in a high pitched, nasally voice so that I sounded like a toddler.

I jus wanna be your bes fwiend!

Twilight simply continued to scowl, ignoring the snickering that was now emitting from Rarity and Applejack; I rolled my eyes and gave a huff, before switching on my serious mode.

“Okay, okay, no friendship, fine. Look, I have an idea on how we can find the right plane to Brazil.”

“I told you yesterday, we are not getting on a plane!” she snarled.

Immediately stepping up to her, I reminded her of my place in her company.

“I am your guide, am I not? By Princess Celestia’s order, this group is to follow me by whichever path I see fit. If I’m telling you that getting on an aeroplane is the best way to Brazil, then by your mentor’s very instruction, that’s the path we take. Unless you’d like to walk thousands of miles, and swim thousands more?”

As soon as I mentioned Celestia, Twilight was bound by honour to listen to me. She observed me silently for a good few seconds, grinding her teeth as she tried to come up with some way of arguing with me.

“So, let me get this perfectly clear. This ‘path that you see fit’ is to ascend miles into the air, and die?”

It was clear that she was trying to spook the others, but luckily they saw past this and realised that Twilight was just legitimately afraid of getting onto a plane, due to her mistrust of humans. Trying my best to remain positive and light-hearted, I simply told her that her spells would ensure our safety, and that she should at least hear my plan before shooting me down.

“Fine, what’s this so called idea then?” she huffed.

“Well Twilight my dear, I’m glad you asked.” I grinned as I sat down.

“Should we wait for the others?” Applejack asked.

“Good point, Rainbow Dash, be a lamb and get the others.” I commanded loudly.

Dashie, who had been eavesdropping just outside the tent’s entrance, shot away like a bullet without uttering a word.

“How did you know she was there?” Rarity quizzed, astounded.

“Because her nose is bigger than her ego.” I replied teasingly.

Everyone laughed, hell, even Twilight tightened her lips to stifle a splutter; to be perfectly honest, I wasn’t too bothered with Twilight’s behaviour this morning, other than her lashing out at Applejack, which had left a visible red spot on the poor mare’s muzzle. I’d woken up from a nice sleep, had some lovely tea, experienced my first Threezie biscuit, and despite Twilight’s transgressions, I was still here on an adventure with the very real Mane Six. Even though I’d known of their existence for an entire twenty-four hours now, I was still buzzed that this was all real.



Soon enough, Rainbow returned with Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, the latter of whom decided to crawl into the tent with her belly low to the ground, and her limbs outstretched like some sort of spider. I stared at Pinkie, confused and bewildered, before accepting she truly was an unpredictable agent of sheer madness. Everyone sat down and I cleared my throat to speak, only for Pinkie to fire questions at me like bullets.

“So what’s the plan? Huh? Are we going to be like spies? Is someone going to sneak into a forbidden place and extract some super vital data? Is Twilight going to use a magic spell to stay undercover, download the intel really fast, and then get out of there? Ooh! Ooh! Do we then have to jump on a plane to make a stealthy getaway?”

With my eyebrows now practically touching my hairline, I sat there and stared at Pinkie in complete bewilderment. Her ability’s logic, or more accurately, her lack of logic, genuinely concerned me. But just as Twilight had been forced to make peace with it in the cartoon, I would have to do the same.

“Basically, yes.” I murmured, still staring at Pinkie with fascination.

“Can you explain the plan in words we can all understand?” Rainbow Dash chuckled.

Loudly exhaling out of my nose with amusement, I happily indulged her, thoroughly explaining the plan I’d developed earlier with Applejack and Rarity. Once everyone was up to speed, Twilight asked how she was expected to even acquire the information needed.

“Even if I agreed to sneaking into this Control Tower you speak of, what makes you think I know how to operate even one iota of your human technology?” she questioned.

“We’re going to find out, by way of a science experiment.”

Twilight tilted her head and visibly relaxed, now inquisitive and thirsty for knowledge. Her whole attitude had shifted so suddenly, that it genuinely wouldn’t have come as a surprise to me if she were to have a split personality disorder; one way or another, I very much hoped that this version of Twilight would stick around more often.
Pulling out my phone, I went into my Notes app and started writing some bland and generic writings, such as ‘the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog’, and ‘she sells sea shells, by the sea shore’. Amongst it, I wrote up some information about a made up flight, including a departure time, a gate number, and the destination, which I wrote Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

“How does that thing work? All you’re doing is tapping it, yet it responds the way you want it to.” Twilight inquired.

“It’s a touch-screen device, it responds to the electrical charge in my body when I touch it. That in turn, sends information into the device to tell it what to do.” I explained.

“So, you control it with your brain? Using electricity?”

“No, it’s quite complicated to explain. For now, let’s just focus on the experiment.”

Twilight nodded, to which I explained what I needed from her.

“I asked Rarity and she wasn’t certain, but do you have any spells that allow you to search for keywords in books and hefty documents? Because if so, and if your magic is compatible with my technology, you’d essentially become the most efficient information scanner on Earth.”

“There is a spell, yes. But what makes you think I could be compatible with your technology?” Twilight quizzed.

I explained to her that although it was just a theory, I had a pretty strong inkling that it was possible. Before I could be asked why, I elaborated the basis for my hunch, gesturing with my hands to emphasise my points.

“So, yesterday, you were able to sense the sheer amount of electrical frequencies at the airport. And not only that, but you then used them to amplify your spell to locate the first piece of the Orb! You had the innate ability to hook onto our signals with ease, and bind them to your magic for a more powerful effect. That gives me enough reason to believe that you could manipulate the physical technology itself. All of our systems run on electricity, and communicate via signals of differing frequencies, so who’s to say a strong magic-user like yourself couldn’t tap into them somehow?”

After a moment of processing, Twilight gave me an enthusiastic nod.

“You know, I think you might be onto something. How can we test it?”

Explaining what I had been writing on my phone, and that I’d like her to search for anything concerning a flight to Brazil, Twilight became fully invested in the experiment, and just for a time, it seemed like the good Twilight was here to stay.
But before we could conduct the test, Twilight’s belly rumbled loudly, to which she broke eye contact with me and sheepishly looked down at her hooves.

“Um, perhaps we should have breakfast first? So there are no distractions while we work.”

“A jolly good idea.” I confirmed.

Pinkie jumped up and down at the sound of food, and we all left the tent to dish up some morning grub.



Amazingly, Twilight actually sat beside me as we had our morning meal. I was blown away at how many supplies they actually had, from two bushels of apples, to almost a whole barrel of oatmeal, they could eat for months from their stock alone, and that was just their breakfast items!

“How the hell do you have this much stuff?” I demanded to know.

“Void magic.” Twilight replied bluntly, munching on an apple.

“Say what?”

After swallowing her bite, the unicorn went on explain that their bags had all been enhanced by Discord with void magic to make them bigger on the inside. Every saddlebag compartment was about the size of a Porta-Potty, and with all twelve compartments combined, there was plenty of room for resources and personal belongings.

“A few of our bags have specific roles too. Applejack’s bag has all the dry food, Rarity’s has all the perishables in a refrigerated section, Rainbow Dash’s has all the camping gear, and Fluttershy’s has all the Oozima and medical equipment.” Twilight finished.

“That’s absolutely incredible, I’m genuinely blown away by that.” I gasped, “Also, did you mention Discord?”

Nodding, Twilight explained just that a few weeks ago, Princess Celestia had charged the group with reforming the God of Chaos, which Fluttershy had achieved by showing him friendship and compassion. He had since agreed to live under the Princesses’ rule and use his magic for good, instead of evil. This information was crucial to me, as it told me exactly where these ponies were in their timeline. Discord was reformed in Season Three, shortly before Twilight finished a spell by Starswirl the Bearded, and was made an alicorn by Celestia, thus beginning her life anew as the Princess of Friendship. This explained exactly why she was still a unicorn, she hadn’t had the chance to finish the spell yet, and if I didn’t help her in finding the Orb shards and getting back home, Equestria’s fourth princess would never come to be.



After we had all eaten, we finally decided to conduct our experiment, I sat down in front of Twilight and held up my phone, making sure Twilight couldn’t see the screen.

“So what am I searching for exactly?”

“Try looking for a flight to Brazil, you can also try searching for the word Rio, spelled R-I-O.” I told her.

Twilight’s horn lit up, and the device was enveloped in a magical purple aura; nothing happened at first, and the others looked from the phone, to Twilight, to me. After a good twenty seconds, Rainbow Dash gave a sigh.

“Great, it doesn’t work.” she huffed.

“Patience.” I said.

I looked at Twilight, told her to stop searching for words, but rather, to focus on bonding with the device itself, to feel the electricity mingle with her magic and let it resonate with her.

“Communicate with it, and then tell it what to do.” I whispered.

The unicorn closed her eyes, took a breath in through her nose, and she tried with this new approach.

{Come on, please work...} I thought desperately.

And then, quite literally by magic, the phone’s screen began to flicker, and the Notes app opened by itself. With a raised brow and bated breath, I watched as the screen automatically scrolled down and the words I had written were rapidly highlighted and then deselected, until the entirety of my notes had been scanned.
With her eyes still closed, Twilight began to murmur.

“Gatwick to Rio de Janeiro... Brazil... Terminal three... Gate seventeen... Time, four-fifteen...”

The others gasped, and Twilight opened her eyes and began to smile wider that I’d ever seen before.

“I did it, I really did it! It worked!”

Everyone congratulated her and I gave her a grin, calmly telling her that I knew she could do it. Once the excitement of the breakthrough concluded, we decided that it was time to get the show on the road, or in the air, to be more specific.
Rarity used a spell to fold all of the bedding and disassemble the fireplace, and Twilight helped to neatly organise everything inside the bags once they were ready to be stashed away; the entire campsite had easily been cleared away in no more than six minutes.

“Speed and efficiency, if only we worked like this all the time…” Rarity remarked.

“What do you mean?” I hummed.

She went on to privately tell me that since coming to Earth, the group hadn’t fully pulled their weight as a team until now. While Rarity and Applejack did the cooking and cleaning, the others had been very much distracted by their new environment; Fluttershy had spent most of the time trying to interact with the wildlife, Rainbow Dash had been drinking in human activities from the clouds under the guise of ‘scouting’, Pinkie had been mostly eating and whining that she was bored, and Twilight had of course been obsessively monitoring me.

“Well, I’m sure things will be a lot easier, now that we’re on the move.” I told her with a warm smile.

“I hope so.” she muttered.

“I know so.” I assured, nervously giving her a quick pat on the shoulder.

It was still so nerve-wracking to physically touch the ponies, this was the Mane Six for crying out loud! Their very existence was sacred to me, to make physical contact with them was no different to a Christian having the experience of placing a hand upon Jesus Christ himself.

“Alright team, let’s move!” Twilight called out.

I was shaken from my personal dilemma and regained my focus. Slinging my bag onto my back, I made my way with the girls towards the airport fence, with all seven of us feeling confident and well-fed.



A jumbo jet came in for landing just as we arrived, causing the girls to flatten their ears at the roaring engines and stared at the mechanical marvel as it met the runway and came to an eventual halt.

“I hadn’t realised how big they were…” Rarity mumbled.

“That’s what she said!” Rainbow Dash blurted out.

Applejack burst into laughter and I stared at the pegasus in disbelief, Rarity meanwhile, was furious.

Rainbow Dash! How dare you be so vulgar!” she yelled, visibly mortified.

“Oh come on, that was perfect timing!” Dashie giggled, shrugging off Rarity’s ire.

“What that was, is highly inappropriate! Pinkie Pie is stood right behind you!”

“Yeah Dashie! I’m right behind you!” Pinkie shouted. “What are we talking about exactly?”

“Never mind Pinks.” Dash said, grinning sheepishly.

“Okie dokie lokie!” Pinkie replied and bounced away to bother Applejack.

Rarity then punched Rainbow Dash in the back of the leg.

“What is wrong with you?” she hissed into Rainbow’s ear.

“What? It was just a joke.” Dash whined defensively.

“Time and place Rainbow Dash, time and a place! You know just as well as I do that Pinkie is still innocent in that department, and you will not pervert her mind while we’re away on this trip!” Rarity scolded.

“Alright, alright! I won’t do it again.” Rainbow said, backing down.

“See to it that you don’t.” Rarity growled, her nose firmly against Rainbow’s muzzle.

As humorous and well timed as Rainbow Dash’s comment was, Rarity was right. If Pinkie was still pure in nature, then the pegasus shouldn’t have said it, or she could have at least whispered it, so no innocent ears were in earshot.
Looking out to the Control Tower, Twilight asked how she was going to get to it undetected, or how she was even going to find a free computer with access to the airport’s flight database.

“I’d say you’ve got two options from the looks of things. Firstly, you could enter the main building at the bottom of the tower and look around there, there will be more people, but I’d also imagine you could find a free computer pretty quickly. Your other option would be to head directly for the back door and see what you can find inside the tower itself. That’ll be a little riskier, but you’d be away from the main bulk of people and could breathe a little easier.” I summed up.

“How is using the back door risky?” Twilight asked.

“That’s what she sai- OW!” Rainbow Dash yelped as Rarity gave her a firm cuff on the back of the head.

I looked back to Twilight, who was waiting for me to answer, looking vastly unamused.

“It’s risky because going up the tower will result in you being in a more confined space, and there will be cameras everywhere. So long as you stay invisible, you’ll be fine, but it’s just worth noting that getting caught inside the tower could be absolutely disastrous.”

Twilight’s eyes widened, and fear began to manifest in her once again.

“What would happen to me if I were to be caught?”

I tried to reassure her that she needn’t worry about that, because she wouldn’t get caught. She just needed to focus on getting the flight info, and then getting the hell out of dodge. But to my dismay, her confidence waned.

“I can’t do this, not by myself. For all I know, this could be a trap!”

The mistrust began to return, and I was forced to add a new suggestion.

“What if someone came with you? Perhaps Rainbow Dash could escort you or something?

“Ah, two birds with one stone? Is that your plan? To thin out the herd and donate a few of us to your scientists?”

“Geez Twi, no! Come on, we’ve been doing so well this morning!”

Sighing, I forwarded my last suggestion.

“Would an invisibility spell work on me? I know we’ve been over how I’m resistant to magic, but even if it was a little more demanding on your mana reserves, would it be possible?”

Thinking hard for a moment, Twilight said that yes, it would work, although it would definitely be a lot more demanding to uphold such a spell on me.

“And what about the flight to Brazil? Would you have enough mana for seven warming spells, and to maintain our air pressure for hours?”

“I would, but I’d most likely be blued out by the end of it.”

“What does that mean?”

Twilight explained to me that a ‘blueout’ was a symptom that unicorns could experience upon using up all their mana; it was a horrible experience, in which they would become vastly dehydrated, and lose the ability to use magic for a while. A bluing out could last anywhere from a few days, to a whole month! It was essentially like having a hangover for however long it lasted, and the more mana a unicorn had, the worse the symptoms.

“That sounds pretty shite, I must admit. But if we’re going to get to Brazil, and you need me to come with you now, then I don’t know about you but that sounds like a fair trade.”

Twilight looked into my eyes and took in my earnest expression for a moment, before finally dipping her head.

“Okay, let’s do it.”

Before we could dally any longer, I took off my backpack and instructed the others to remain hidden in the tree line, while Twilight used some sort of spell on the chain-link fence, which temporarily transformed a five by five foot section of it into mist, allowing the two of us to pass through. The mist didn’t last very long, and within seconds, the fence returned to its normal condition.

“Stand still.” Twilight ordered.

I did just so, and allowed Twilight to cast the invisibility spell onto me. The spell created a vibrating effect around me, and once it faded, I was left completely and utterly imperceptible.

“Good luck!” Pinkie called out.

Choosing not to reply, Twilight cast the spell onto herself, and we made our way to the flight tower together.

PreviousChapters Next