• Published 3rd Aug 2013
  • 1,365 Views, 8 Comments

Changes on the inside - Alexander White



Waking up after the battle, Chrysalis feels somehow diffrent. She then figures out she lost the abilty to change. Has the direct hit from Cadence's and Shining Armor's blast affected her? And were there any more changes?

  • ...
4
 8
 1,365

Changes on the inside

Pink, girly shapes flew everywhere. It was like soaring through some weird pink space with huge hearts instead of stars. There was a peculiar smell in this strange, girly place. It smelled like… Love.

Chrysalis woke with a start. She was covered in sweat and dirt. She tried to stand up feeling every muscle in her body ache. It took a moment to realize where she was.

She lay on a pile of rocks, nothing but mountains around her. How long was she out? She was still dizzy due to her strange dream, but was starting to remember what happened. Images suddenly started flashing before her eyes. The wedding, the invasion, Canterlot in ruins and finally the blasted royal couple. She had Shining Armor in her hooves. How did it all go so wrong?

She cursed, remembering the blast generated by their “pfff” love for each other that blasted her and her changeling army out of the city.

She started walking in a random direction knowing that she will soon stumble upon an entrance to her massive complex of caves that covered almost all of Equestria. As she started walking, images started floating in her mind.

“What have I done wrong? How could this happen?”

Wondering what could have she done to prevent her failure she spots one of her hidden cave entrances. It was a good thing she knew exactly how the entrances looked like, since it was almost impossible to stumble upon one by accident.

The entrance was just a patch of grass with a small, normal looking rock on it. The only thing that it stood out from other rocks was a special mark that Chrysalis ordered her soldiers to draw on the entrances.

She made sure that there was nopony in sight and moved the rock aside. Under it was a little hole filled with spider webs. She put her hoof in the hole and pushed a button in the bottom of the hole. Instantly a cave entrance emerged a few feet in front of her.

Entering the cave she used her horn to illuminate it. After a few minutes of walking she spotted the entrance to the main changeling camp, guarded by two guards.

They weren’t in their changeling forms in case somepony accidently stumbled upon the cave. Chrysalis quickly approached them and was surprised when the guards blocked her way.

“What is your number soldier?”

It was protocol for disguised troops entering the cave to identify their self, but Chrysalis didn’t remember changing her form.

“What do you mean what is my number, I am your queen and you will let me in this instant!” She could see the guards exchanging puzzled looks.

“Why aren’t you in your changeling form my queen?”

This made Chrysalis even more confused. She looked at her hooves and only now noticed that they were a pale pink color. She tried changing back, but it didn’t work. She couldn’t even produce the green flame that would engulf her while changing.

She looked at the two guards with fear clearly visible on her face. They exchanged some whispers and a nod.

“Get the hell out of our caves you spy and if we catch you snooping around again you won’t see the light of day ever again.”

Chrysalis ran away as they pointed their spears at her, hearing them mocking her stupidity and laughing.

She ran as far as she could her unable to think from the shock. When she got to the surface she lay down on the grass and started crying.

Never before was she so confused and unsure on what to do next. She spotted a pond not far from her, wondering what her new and right now seemingly permanent form looked like.

As she looked down into the pond she gasped. It was like she was looking in a mirror one week ago. She closely resembled princess Cadence, except she could see she was a bit shorter than the princess and with no wings. Her mane and tail were also different. Instead of the three colors the princess had in her hair, Chrysalis only had the purple color.

Her cutie mark was a crystal shaped like a star. She could spend a whole day there wondering why she looked so similar to the princess but she had to get her powers back.

She decided to find a spell in the royal Canterlot library. Hopefully she would find something useful there. There was only one problem. She wasn’t sure where she was.

After a day of walking in a random direction Chrysalis came across a small village.

Since she was a changeling she didn’t require food or water. She did however need to feed off somepony’s love in order to survive.

She was weak, but since she couldn’t change she couldn’t replace somepony in a relationship and couldn’t feed.

She had to get to Canterlot before she starves to death. Chrysalis was genuinely scared and wasted no time in asking for directions. She learned that Canterlot was a two day walk east. After a whole day of walking, Chrysalis collapsed on a pile of hay that some farmers left to dry.

She fell asleep but was soon awoken by some strange noises. She stood up and took a few steps towards the sound, realizing that she was hearing the sounds of two ponies talking.

“Hey 86! Did you hear about the queen?” Chrysalis surprised that she stumbled upon two changelings talking about her next to a campfire.

“Yeah, I heard she hasn’t been seen since we were repelled from Canterlot. Where do you think she is?”

“I don’t know but who cares anyway. I hope she stays missing.” Chrysalis couldn’t believe what she was hearing; she had always taken good care of her subjects. “I guess you’re right. She was a pretty incompetent leader. I heard that general Gryllus took her place now that she’s gone. Oh I’ve always liked him.”

The changelings switched subjects and continued talking, while Chrysalis was left dumbfounded, mouth agape.

“How could they think so badly of me? Was I really that bad of a leader? They’re going to get it after I get my powers back. They’ll regret ever questioning me and how dare Gryllus just seize power like that. He’s going to rot in cell for the rest of his miserable life.”

Chrysalis’s mental monologue was interrupted when the changeling started a rather interesting subject.

“So where are we supposed to meet for the new invasion of Canterlot?”

Chrysalis gasped at the thought that the general has already rallied the troops for another attack. She was about to continue listening, but she heard nothing. The light from the campfire was gone and so were the changelings.

Chrysalis cursed, “They must have heard me.”

Finally after another day of walking, Chrysalis made it to Canterlot and was relieved that Shining Armor’s force field was no longer there. The ponies there seemed to have already forgotten about the invasion that only happened a few days ago.

She hurried to the library, hoping to find a solution to her problem. She ran past shelves until she spotted the healthcare section. She levitated about twenty books from the shelf and sat down at a table.

Hours passed and she still made no progress. Was she really surprised that she found absolutely nothing about changelings?

She knew that ponies know next to nothing about her kind. Knowing that there won’t be any books here, containing the information she needed, Chrysalis stood up, and decided to find the section with older archives.

Most of the ponies already left, leaving her almost completely alone. The only exceptions were a few librarians cleaning up the library and preparing to close it.

Chrysalis was so concentrated on finding the section she needed that she didn’t see what was in front of her so there was no surprise that she eventually bumped into a pony and tumbled on the floor.

“Hey watch where you’re going there!” She was irritated and exhausted.

“Excuse me, but I believe you bumped into me.”

Chrysalis looked up and examined the unicorn she hit. He was quite handsome actually. With a bright gray coat and dark brown hair and stunning blue eyes and a really hot masculine bod…

“Wait a minute! Why am I thinking about him this way? I never had feelings for other beings so why now?”

She lay there, too lost in her own thoughts to even move

“But either way, it would be rude of me to just leave you on the floor.” The stallion said, extending a hoof and smiling.

Chrysalis took it and stood up. After a moment she found herself staring into his eyes and looked away blushing.

“Er, thanks. Sorry about bumping into you.” She said shyly looking anywhere else than at him.

“hahahaha no problem at all. Bumping into them really helps you meet the most interesting and might I add prettiest of ponies. My name is Haiku Hoofstrong” He replied with a grin.

Chrysalis was struck by another completely unknown emotion. She would rarely get compliments before, and even when she got them she never cared much. But this time was different.

She failed to suppress a giggle and smiled at the stallion.

“I’m Chrysa… I mean Crystal. Crystal Spark.” Chrysalis let out a sigh of relief as Haiku didn’t notice her improvisation

“By the way, what were you looking for any way?” Chrysalis had just noticed that he had a quill and scroll cutie mark.

Quite common for scribes and librarians, so he probably must work here. He just didn’t seem like the nerdy type you expect to see working in a library.

He had quite an athletic body and was so very very very handsome. Chrysalis snapped out of her trance again.

“Well, I was hoping to find something in the older archive section.”

“Uff I am sorry, but that section is off limits and besides, it’s closing time so it’ll have to wait until tomorrow. It was a true pleasure meeting you Crystal” Chrysalis was shocked.

“T-t-tomorrow? But I was planning on finding what I needed and then leave Canterlot. I have nowhere to stay. I don’t want to spend the night on the street!” By now Chrysalis knew where this was going and made her best damsel in distress face.

“You can crash at my place tonight and tomorrow, I can try to get you access to the literature you need.” The librarian went slightly red while saying this.

“Oh my Celestia thank you! That is so sweet of you.” Chrysalis could already feel a slight affection for her.

But why was she so bashful before? Did she actually have feelings for him? To survive more easily, changelings devolved the ability to have affection to another being hundreds of generations before, so how was it possible that Chrysalis had some sort of a crush on this stallion?

“The direct blast from that energy surge that repelled her and her army must have affected not only my powers, but my mind as well.” More thoughts of this subject crossed her mind as Chrysalis followed Haiku through the streets of Canterlot.

Everything was so peaceful. She started wondering if it was right of her to try and destroy this beautiful city, but before she could develop any further thoughts about it she suddenly bumped into something.

“Seriously, again? You need to watch more carefully where you’re going.” Haiku laughed again.

Chrysalis could listen to the sweet melody of him expressing his happiness forever, but she had to focus on getting her powers back.

“Well, maybe I like bumping into you.” She said with a playful smile. “Why did you stop anyway?”

Haiku waved a hoof at the building in front of them.

”BECAUSE WERE HEEEEEEEREEEE!! He said with comedic enthusiasm, making Chrysalis giggle again.

He was really starting to grow on her, no matter how strange the feelings were for her.

The house in front of them looked nice. It had a homely and cozy look. Chrysalis followed Haiku inside. The inside only confirmed the feelings she was getting from the outside.

The inside was nice and warm, the furniture looked very comfortable and even the air smelled good, like a proper home. Chrysalis just stood there, taking in all the warm feelings she never got before.

A genuine smile appeared on her face.

“You have a beautiful home.” She said with a soft and calm voice.

“I do my best.” He said, with a satisfied smile. “A good home equals a good life and happiness. That’s what my pa always told me.”

Chrysalis got lost in his eyes again. Those beautiful joy filled eyes. Suddenly she had her hooves wrapped around him in a tight hug. She didn’t even know what she was doing. It was as if her body was moving on its own.

She planted a kiss on his cheek and whispered into his ear.

“Thank you again for letting me stay.”

The next day Chrysalis woke up and was actually feeling quite well rested. Haiku let her sleep in his bed, while he settled down on a couch.

Chrysalis yawned and stretched her forehooves. There was an alluring aroma coming from the kitchen. She followed it opened the kitchen door.

She was greeted with cheerful “Good morning!” and a sight like nothing she has ever seen before.

On the kitchen table, she saw more different types of food than she has ever seen in one place.

And she has seen a lot of food in one place before. Being in the castle kitchen with all the food ready for a royal wedding but it still wasn’t as amazing as the setup she was now seeing before her. She looked at Haiku, an astonished expression on her face.

“What? I didn’t know what kind of food you like.” He said, wearing that adorable smile on his face again.

“How long did it take for you to prepare all of this?” Chrysalis asked, no change in her expression.

“Oh counting the time it took me to get all the ingredients at the market I’d say about two and a half hours.” Chrysalis didn’t know what to say.

Finally she decided to peck Haiku on the cheek again.

“Good morning to you too by the way.” She saw him blush again as she sat down at the table.

But looking down on the dishes she remembered something. Changelings don’t usually eat food. But thinking how devastated Haiku would be she decided to dig in.

It was the most amazing feeling she ever experienced, her taste buds tingling with the expertly mixed flavors. She found herself eating in super slow motion, trying to savor the flavors. And surprisingly, it actually satisfied her hunger, which in the past could usually only be done by leeching off other ponies.

This must have been another side effect of the current condition she was in. She decided to think about that later and enjoy the amazing meal her new friend had prepared for her.

“Come on Crystal! I’m gonna be late!” Chrysalis wanted to take a tour around Canterlot, but Haiku insisted that they have to hurry up.

The moment they arrived, Haiku asked his superiors about the off limits section. He couldn’t get her access to the archives so Chrysalis spent the morning in the library, searching for books about changeling medical conditions with “Oh what a surprise” no success.

She was getting pretty frustrated due to her lack of progress, so she decided to take a break from reading. She wondered what Haiku even does around here and went looking for him. She found him arranging books into their appropriate places.

“Hey! Find anything you were looking for?” He said taking a pause from his duties.

“No luck. Do you mind showing me what do you do here anyway?” Chrysalis said with a smile.

Haiku’s smile went from ear to ear, obviously excited about showing her his workplace.

“Well basically it’s just sorting out books, but it gets real exciting when we get an old book or archive. It’s really cool seeing how ponies used to think and sometimes we even get new information that changes something we thought was correct. And that’s where I come in. I’m a historian, When we find something, I examine it, check the sources and other literature that may contradict it and if checks out, I approve it and send the information to the university of Canterlot where they make it official.” He said proudly.

“So you go through every old document you get?”

“Yeah, almost all of them. Why?”

“So you would know if there were any archives about changelings in the library.” She tried not to look too excited about it.

“Yeah I think I went through a few last month. Why would you be interested in changelings?” Chrysalis didn’t know what to say.

Her mind raced to find something.

“Oh I’m just doing some research. I just never heard about them before last week’s invasion. It just so amazing being able to change into anypony you want right?” She said, trying to be as convincing as possible.

“Yeah, they are pretty intriguing. I just wish they weren’t all evil you know. They could do so much good with their powers. I think it would benefit both our kinds if we lived in harmony.” This just made Chrysalises little crush grow five times its size.

She started thinking about revealing herself to him, but decided it was too early and would just scare him off. She really did like him. She didn’t even realize before that she didn’t even want him to love her so she could feed off him.

A realization struck her as she found herself longing for a real relationship with Haiku, that she loved him. Her thoughts were interrupted when Haiku continued their conversation.

“I really wish I could get you those documents, but my employers only allow access to those sections to scholars and historians.” Chrysalis was expecting this but she was still devastated.

“Oh, that’s ok. Guess I’ll just have to wait for somepony to write a book about them or something.” She said sarcastically.

Haiku laughed but soon stopped, when he notice how down Chrysalis was.

“Hey cheer up. You know what you need.” “What?” Chrysalis said, no trace of enthusiasm or curiosity in her voice.

“You need to have a taste of the best coffee in Canterlot.” Chrysalis didn’t know how to feel about this.

She never had coffee before. Was it really as good as they say and really makes your day brighter? She followed haiku across the city and into a rather modest looking little café.

“They serve the best coffee in Canterlot here? I expected an enormous restaurant or something. Are you sure It’s this place?”

“Hey, don’t judge a book by its cover. Those who come her once don’t ever have coffee in any other place again. That’s a guarantee.” He said with joking anger but a smile and a giggle in the end gave him away.

They sat down and placed their orders. Chrysalis could tell Haiku was excited to see how she reacts. She was now getting really curios. While they waited, Haiku took a looked at her.

“I just remembered. I don’t know what your special talent is yet. Your cutie mark isn’t all that specific you know.” Chrysalis looked at her cutie mark and suddenly realized she didn’t know how to respond.

She started thinking.

“A star, a star. Didn’t Shining Armor’s sister have one like that? I think he told me something about her. Something that she’s really good at.” It finally it struck her.

“Magic! I think it’s something like that.” Haiku looked at her with a puzzled face.

“Something like that? Don’t you know?”

“Err… Iiiiiiii-I couldn’t improve my skills. They told me it has something to do with magic, but there wasn’t any school or teacher for miles from where I lived, so I could never actually study magic.” She should really make these stories about herself before she is needed to tell them.

“Wow that’s harsh. Not being able to master your special talent.”

“I am pretty good with the simple spells, but not much else I’m afraid.” Chrysalis relaxed as she was no longer in the danger zone and to make things even better, their coffee had arrived.

It truly was an incredibly tasty coffee.

”Have you ever thought about enrolling for Celestia’s magic school?”

“No, I’ve never been to Canterlot before. I actually grew up in Los Pegasus. My family was the only unicorn family in the city. That’s why I went travelling across Equestria, to find a teacher.” Chrysalis was surprised at her fast improvisation.

“Have you ever thought that it’s not too late to start learning?” He was really reassuring, but Chrysalis had enough to worry about to study for some stupid school.

She looked at Haiku and realized that her life would be perfect with him. She didn’t even want to get her powers back anymore.

“I don’t think I should.” Haiku looked puzzled.

“Why not? You said you were looking for a teacher and who better than Celestia herself.”

“I… I just don’t think I’m ready yet.” Chrysalis was really down now.

She didn’t like lying to Haiku and didn’t know how to tell him how she felt. And surely if they were together, he would find out sooner or later.

“I can’t talk about this right now. I have some stuff I have to think about. Thanks for the coffee; it really was the best I ever tasted.” Chrysalis left, angry at herself for not thinking of a better excuse, leaving Haiku devastated and alone in the café.

Chrysalis didn’t know where to go. She galloped across Canterlot, thinking about her future. She stopped in front of a pond and looked down. Who was she looking at?

“Am I still Chrysalis, queen of the changelings or has not only ma look changed, but also my identity?” Was she now Crystal?

A pony, with no story behind her? She could start a new life, making up details as she went on. Never before had she been so confused. She sat there, by the pond gazing down at her own reflection for about twenty minutes. It felt like hours had passed, when her thoughts were interrupted by a soft voice behind her.

“Is everything ok? I’m sorry if I said anything wrong. ” Chrysalis turned around.

Haiku stood a few steps behind her, looking at her with his beautiful, sympathetic eyes.

“No it’s just I’ve been thinking a lot. I have to tell you something. I…” It took a moment for her to realize what was going on.

Haiku was leaning forward pressing his lips against hers. She slowly closed her eyes and returned the kiss. It was magical. She kissed a lot of stallions but all of those kisses were fake and without true passion. This was different, she could feel her muscles relax and felt tingling in her stomach. After a few seconds that felt like hours, they broke apart, breathing heavily.

“I was so afraid that you would run away and I’d never see you again. I love you Crystal.” A massive smile swept across Chrysalises face.

“I love you too” This time it was her who threw herself forward into Haiku’s embrace.

They started passionately kissing. After what seemed like forever they stopped and sat down, looking into each other’s eyes.

“What was it that you wanted to tell me?” Chrysalis looked away for a second and decided that she would have to tell him sometime, just not now.

“Nothing it’s really not important.” She said with a smile, that Haiku returned.

They continued looking into each other’s eyes, but were soon interrupted by a low rumbling sound. Chrysalis looked down and realized how hungry she actually was.

“Could we get a bite to eat, I’m starving over here. Where do you usually eat lunch? ” After a few minutes of walking they arrived at their destination.

“A hot dog stand? Are you joking?” Haiku laughed.

“What? It takes no time at all to make them and they’re delicious. What else do you need?” Chrysalis couldn’t help but laugh too.

The hot dog was pretty good so she couldn’t complain.

“How about we go home now? All this drama made me pretty exhausted.”

“Sounds good to me.” They slowly made their way back to Haiku’s home, nuzzling each other every now and then.

When they arrived, they collapsed on the bed and instantly fell asleep, wrapped in each other’s hooves, even though it was only 7 PM.

The next day was one of the best day in Chrysalis’s life. It was Sunday, so Haiku didn’t have to get up early. They spent the whole morning snuggling and whispering compliments into each other’s ears.

Chrysalis still felt a bit uneasy, when he described how he likes some parts of her body, remembering every time that wasn’t her true form and that she was stuck. But it still felt very good when he did. After they finally decided to climb out of bed Chrysalis joined Haiku on his routine of going to the market and buying all the best ingredients for his delicious breakfast.

She had never been this happy. It felt so good to have someone that loves you and to love him back. Every time they touched and every time he spoke to her in that sweet, soft voice, a wave of comfortable warmth would wash over her body and made her slightly blush.

They spent the day, touring across Canterlot, Haiku showing Crysalis all his favorite destinations in the city. After the tour they went for a short walk outside the city and set up a picnic on the top of a nearby hill.

They snuggled close together as they watched the sun go down, Haiku pointing out the small white dot hovering in front the castle balcony to be Celestia. And on the other side of the castle a small black dot that was Luna raising the moon. It truly was a magical sight. Haiku dedicated the whole day, making sure his marefriend was happy. Chrysalis responded by giving him millions of kisses, hugs and saying “I love” so many times, that it almost lost its meaning.

Almost a whole month passed by like a week. While Haiku was at the library, Crysalis would look for more books about her condition, without success of course. (Not like she wanted to go back to being queen of the changelings.) Or she would take a walk around Canterlot, going through various shops and boutiques.

She soon developed quite a love for pretty clothes, fortunately Haiku got an insane amount of money every time he inspected something, plus the monthly librarian pay. It was enough to buy Chrysalis almost anything she wanted and that made him happy. In no time at all she started fitting in with the fancy Canterlot ponies. Wanting to fit in even more she decided to get a job.

“You don’t have to do this. I get more than enough money to support us.” Haiku tried convincing her.

“No, no, it’s not about that. I never really had a job and I think that it will really help me fit in around here. Also maybe I can make some friends among my new co-workers.” She was confident that she will find a fun job.

Since she didn’t really need one she won’t be working at places where she’ll feel uncomfortable. Haiku finally agreed, seeing that this is what she really wanted.

“Thanks honey.” Chrysalis gave him a quick kiss and ran off leaving Haiku at the library.

She soon slowed down as she realized she had no idea where to find a job. She thought about going back to the library and ask Haiku for advice, but decided that would be too embarrassing. She thought for a moment than decided to look in a newspaper.

She saw some in a nearby store a while ago and went there to buy one. It was a quite a big store, before she went in, she noticed some posters on the walls. The biggest one read: Help wanted!

Chrysalis got a job as a cashier and liked it. The costumers and employers were nice and the work itself was very simple. After her shift was over she went home. Haiku was already home and making dinner for them.

“Hi sweetie! Did you have any luck?” Chrysalis went up to him and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.

“Yes, I’m a cashier at the Everfree supermarket.”

“That’s great! Do you like it there?”

“Oh it’s just perfect! All my co-workers are really nice and all the costumers are super friendly.”

“That’s all great but you need to tell me one more thing.” His expression was suddenly very serious.

A thought went through Chrysalis’s head that he might know something about her true self.

“Errr… What’s that? She was starting to get a bit scared.

“How do you like your eggs?” Haiku suddenly burst into a uncontrollable laugh.

“You… you should have seen the look on your face!” The shock was starting to pass away and Chrysalis too let out a small giggle.

After a few moments they started to calm down.

“You jerk.” She said lightly punching Haiku in the shoulder.

“I couldn’t resist. I know you’re hiding something. When I met you, you were always so distant, so lost in your own thoughts.” He saw how Chrysalis wasn’t happy about this and quickly continued.

”But it’s no big deal. Everypony has secrets. And either way, I wouldn’t feel comfortable forcing you to tell me something you don’t want to.” Chrysalis immediately looked up and passionately kissed him.

After they broke apart she whispered.

“Thanks for being so understanding.” But as she said it she realized something. She took a slow breath, deciding it’s time to let him know. She was risking losing him, but couldn’t keep it in any longer.

“Haiku, I want to tell you my secret.” He looked surprised, obviously not expecting this.

“I’m a…” Like the last time she wanted to tell him, she was unexpectedly interrupted, only not with a kiss like last time, but by a sudden knock on the front door.

“We’ll finish this later ok?” He opened the door, two royal guards standing behind it.

Chrysalis resisted a really strong urge to hide, assuring herself that there was no way anypony could have uncovered her.

“What can I do for you gentlecolts?”

“We need you and that mare to come with us to the castle. Don’t worry, everypony in Canterlot is asked to do the same.” Chrysalis started panicking, but dared not show it.

“Why would we all need to go?”

“The princesses are going to make this a monthly routine. They will check everypony in Canterlot for changelings. They will examine each one separately and uncover any spies in the city. Anypony that resists will be declared a changeling and imprisoned.” Chrysalis felt nauseous.

Soon she would be uncovered in front of Haiku and imprisoned. She must do something to avoid it, but it looked like there was no way she could.

“Come now, we will escort you to the castle.” They followed after the two stallions.

They could see a line forming in front of it. This could give Chrysalis enough time to think of something.

“Wait in line until you get to the throne room. There one of the princesses will examine you and then you’re free to go.

After a couple of minutes of waiting, Chrysalis still found no way of avoiding this. She gave in and decided that it would be better to let Haiku hear the truth from her than from the princesses. She pulled him aside and looked with a serious face into his eyes.

“I’m about to tell you my secret. Please don’t yell or scream and let me say what I have to say. OK?” Haiku nodded, adding no jokes when he saw how serious she was.

Chrysalis took a deep breath. “I’m a changeling.” She saw Haiku’s sudden look of fear, but he did as she asked him and let her continue.

“I’m Chrysalis, former queen of the changelings.” He of course looked even more scared, but a bit confused at the same time.

Chrysalis saw the confusion and continued.

“Yes, that’s right. Former queen. Ever since princess Cadence and shining armor hit me with that beam of energy, I lost my ability to change and got stuck in this form. I tried to return to a changeling camp, but they didn’t believe who I am and chased me away. I decided to get my powers back by finding some book about changeling medical conditions, but while on my way to Canterlot, I came across a couple of changelings around a campfire. They said that all the changelings hated me and were happy that the former general had become their new leader. They said I was an incompetent leader. I want my revenge on them for betraying me.” She could tell Haiku was getting relaxed a bit, but could still see some fear and skepticism in his eyes.

“I swear I never used my parasitic powers on you. You aren’t brainwashed, I don’t even know if I still have those powers. And one more thing. The beam of love that hit me must have changed something in me, because I fell in love with you. Changelings aren’t able to feel affection for other beings but I do.” She starred at Haiku, trying to read his emotions.

She could tell he was trying to decide whether to believe her or not. Anything he chose, she was ready to accept it.

“Well… I’m done. What do you think? Haiku took a moment to respond.

“Well. How are we going to avoid the inspection?” Chrysalis’s heart skipped a beat.

She launched herself at him, hugging him and kissing him multiple times on the lips and elsewhere.

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I thought you would never believe me. I love you so much. Sorry for not telling you earlier, I was just so scared.” She could thank him forever but Haiku stopped her with a passionate kiss.

“I love you to. Now seriously, what are we going to do about the inspection?” Chrysalis was surprised that he kept such a cool head after the shock he must have just experienced.

“Well… I couldn’t find any way we could avoid it, so I thought I would try to explain what happened to Celestia.”

“That’s a stupid idea, she’ll never believe you.” Chrysalis smiled at him.

“She will, if I warn her about the new invasion plans I overheard. I could help prevent it, I know my former army’s weaknesses.”

“Another invasion! Are you sure?” Haiku looked completely dumbfounded.

“Yes I’m one hundred and ten percent sure the changelings will attack again soon. I just know any details about it.” They didn’t realized how long they were talking and when Chrysalis looked around she could only see a few ponies left between them and the throne room.

She gulped. “Well time for my big uncovering.” She was nervous, but thanks to Haiku by her side, she found the courage to slowly step inside.

The room was the same as Chrysalis remembered it, very big and beautifully decorated. The only difference was, that last time she was here as a conqueror and this time, she was here to ask for forgiveness.

She nervously stepped forward, bowing down before the princesses. It was a strange feeling, but it felt right. She raised herself up and looked at the princesses. Princess Celestia looked at her and smiled.

“Hurry up now my little pony.” She could feel the warmth of Celestia’s love for her subjects radiating from her.

This made her feel even guiltier than before. She slowly stepped forward. Her moth felt dry, but she knew she had to do this. She stopped at half the way and looked Celestia in the eyes again.

“Your highness, I have a confession to make.” Celestia looked like she knew what Chrysalis was about to say, but stayed quiet for her to continue.

“I am Chrysalis. Former queen of the changelings.” She could feel the surprised eyes of everypony in the room on her.

“After I was hit and blasted away by that beam of love, I lost my ability to change and have been stuck in this form ever since. The changelings betrayed me and chose a new leader. I am here to help you fight them. I have lived in Canterlot for a month now, with my partner Haiku Hoofstrong, who I love with all my heart. I know that you may not believe me, but I speak the truth and wish to be your ally. If you choose differently, I am ready to accept whatever punishment you give me.” She looked around and saw everypony’s surprised faces, her gaze finally landed on Haiku who gave her a supportive smile and nod.

Celestia opened her mouth to speak, but was interrupted by a pink alicorn jumping in front of her.

“You are lying Chrysalis! Changelings cannot feel love. They just pretend to so they can feed of you. Haiku here must be under her control right now.” Princess Cadence looked furious.

Chrysalis couldn’t blame her after all she did to her. Nevertheless, she had to prove her innocence.

“That of course is true, but along with the loss of my powers, the beam also seemed to have affected my mind. Making it able for me to feel affection.” Cadence was still skeptical, but suddenly Haiku stepped in front of Chrysalis to defend her.

“I was there at the so called wedding, and saw Shining armor under her spell. He was barely able to make complete sentences! My guess is that changeling mind control slows the victim’s brain down so he or she can’t think for himself. Do I look like my brain isn’t functioning properly? NO! I’m not. Chrysalis is telling the truth! She has truly changed and I love her more than anything.” Princess Cadence looked like she still didn’t believe them, but couldn’t find a good argument for what was just said.

Chrysalis couldn’t believe it. Haiku rescued her. She made a mental note to reward him for his help after this was over.

After a moment of silence, princess Celestia stepped forward to speak.

“Chrysalis. I must say that your story is most convincing.” Chrysalis smiled at Haiku again.

“But, you have done far too much damage to be forgiven. You will be imprisoned for your crimes until we decide what to do with you.” Chrysalis’s head suddenly dropped.

She expected this in the first place, but it all pointed to her being forgiven.

“I understand and shall take my punishment.” Celestia nodded.

“Please, take her to the dungeon.” The guards were closing up on her, but suddenly Haiku stepped in front of her, again.

“You can’t do this! She has truly changed and isn’t a threat anymore! Please don’t take her away from me. I love her!” Haiku looked like he could take all three of the princesses down along with all the royal guards, but his anger was in vain.

“I understand that this must be hard for you, but I cannot take a chance of her tricking us again. It is my duty to protect my subjects and that sometimes requires sacrifices.” Then, out of nowhere Chrysalis remembered something important.

“Wait! I have to warn you about something. When I overheard those two changelings talking, I heard something about another invasion planned very soon. It could happen in any moment!” The whole room went quiet, but Celestia soon broke the silence.

“Are you sure about this?”

“Yes! But they heard me and ran off before they revealed any details.”

“Surely this must be another one of her tricks! We shouldn’t trust her.”

“I share your doubt Cadence, but we can’t take any risks. Go find Shining armor and tell him to get the castle defenses ready.” Chrysalis was relieved that at least Celestia was partly on her side.

Before she let herself be taken away she gave one last hug and quick kiss to Haiku.

“I love you. Thank you for staying by my side.” He smiled, but she could clearly see sadness in his eyes.

“I love you too and I promise I’ll keep trying to get you out.” Chrysalis realized how lucky she was to have met him.

She started walking, towards the exit of the room, keeping her eyes on Haiku until she lost sight of him around the corner.

She didn’t resist, accepting her punishment with dignity. They could keep her here forever for all she knew. The cell was quite roomy, and the bed wasn’t as uncomfortable as she had expected. Two guards stood in front of her cell, not getting distracted by anything until their shift ended and a new pair replaced them.

The next day went by really fast. There was nothing to do except eat and sleep. Soon she would go crazy. After a week, she was woken up by the sound four pairs of hooves against the stone floor. She thought they were guards, changing shifts early, but was proven otherwise when she recognized the two ponies.

It was Haiku and, she must have been hallucinating, princess Cadence.

“How do you feel?” Chrysalis gave a confused look.

“Fine, why are you here?”

“We’re here to free you.” She was surprised as the gates suddenly swung open.

She launched herself at Haiku, gripping him in a tight hug.

“I missed you.”

“Me too. Now let’s hurry, we’ll explain everything along the way!” They started towards the dungeon exit.

“The changelings captured Shining Armor, while he was preparing the castle defenses. They planned it out perfectly. Now, without his force-field they’re about to attack the city again.” “But I though you didn’t believe I changed. Why did you free me?” Cadence glanced at her, a warm smile on her face.

“I didn’t, but then I saw how much you two truly love each other. I know when I sense true love. I am the princess of love after all.” Chrysalis glanced at Haiku and smiled.

“I still don’t know how I’m supposed to help. I can’t change anymore.”

“I have an idea. Can you still use your parasitic powers to you know, feed off somepony’s love for you?”

“Where was she going with this?”

“I don’t know. I never tried it on Haiku, since I didn’t need it anymore. After the change I was able to satisfy my hunger with food and how would that help us?”

“Well, I thought, since you and Haiku love each other so much, that you could feed of him and become strong enough to make a difference. I don’t think that Celestia, Luna and I are strong enough to repel the whole changeling army, but with you, maybe we can stop them.” Chrysalis glanced at Haiku.

That would give them a bigger chance of victory.

“Are you ok with that?” He gave her brave grin

“Yes, if it means saving Canterlot, I’m up for it.” She could feel how strongly he loved her.

Shining Armor’s love for Cadence was strong too, but this seemed different. Now she loved him back and it would make her even stronger.

They came to the main castle balcony, where Celestia raises the sun. They could see a giant black cloud not far from the city. Cadence looked at Chrysalis.

“Are you ready?” Chrysalis was nervous and a bit scared, but managed to smile and nod.

Her horn lit up, gathering power. She could feel energy rushing into her body. She glanced at Haiku, it was clear he felt the power exchange, but managed to hold himself up. She could feel her own unicorn magic, combine with Haiku’s.

Power was now surging through her, starting radiate a faint pink aura. She knew Haiku would recover quickly after the battle, but couldn’t help but worry for him when she saw him squirming on the floor. He looked up at her, his beautiful eyes full of pain, but he still managed to put in a smile.

“I’ll be fine! Do what you have to do.” Chrysalis felt like she could rip the whole world apart.

She glanced at Cadence. “Let’s do this.”

Celestia, Luna and the all the pegasi of the royal guard were already in the air. The princesses were showering the army with blasts of energy and the guards knocking the changelings one by one out of the air. The unicorns of the guard were stationed at the outer walls, firing spells at the army.

It was quite a sight, seeing Celestia and Luna fight together, but the changeling army was just too big and advancing quickly. Chrysalis was now ready to join the battle.

Her horn started glowing, preparing to cast a spell. Soon she unleashed some of her energy into it and releasing, making her grow a beautiful pair of pink feathery wings. She and Cadence took off, flying towards the battlefield.

Celestia and Luna were using their powers to make a shield, giving them time to recover. Chrysalis and Cadence stopped at their side. Celestia glanced at them.

“I see Cadence thought you would be some help to us. Very well, we’re not doing very well as you can see.” She spotted the new wings on her former enemy.

“I thought you couldn’t change anymore.” Chrysalis smiled.

“I may have snuck into your magic school once or twice. I learned some pretty useful spells there.” Celestia didn’t look too happy about that, but decided to drop the subject.

“So, do you have a plan to defeat them?”

“Not really, I just supercharged myself with the power of love and plan on using all of that power to blast their plots to where they came from.” Celestia looked confused but shrugged.

“That could work. But I’m not letting you have all the fun for yourself.” Celestia started drawing power from the sun, firing a beam of pure solar energy at the enemies.

Through the opening, Chrysalis could see the command of the army, former general Gryllus at its head. Starting to draw power, she started generating a huge ball of energy, sending it in the midst of the changeling army.

“Let’s see how you like it general Gryllus!” She yelled sending the ball right into his face.

The ball exploded, blasting what was left of the army into the horizon. The battle was won.

“Thanks for your help Chrysalis.” At that moment Chrysalis realized something.

“When I came to Canterlot and met Haiku, I didn’t want him to know who I was, so I came up with a name. Haiku loved my new form, Crystal Spark, not Chrysalis. I don’t want that name anymore! It’s the only thing that’s left of the old me and I hated my former life.” They descended back to the balcony.

Haiku was there waiting for them, barely standing up. Chrysalis embraced him, their horns meeting. She could feel their magical flows connected and her excess energy flow into his body. Her wings started vanishing as her power seeped away.

It was enough for him to start thinking straight, but was still a bit unsteady on his hooves.

“Hey… Back already?” Chrysalis smiled and kissed him.

“Thank the heavens you’re ok. I would have never forgiven myself, if you wouldn’t recover properly.”

“Ahem!” Celestia interrupted them.

“As you said before, you no longer wish to keep your former name. I princess Celestia of Equestria hereby decree, that our former enemy and leader of the changelings Chrysalis, is from now on called by her chosen name Crystal Spark and is now as gratitude for helping to repel the changeling army, considered an ally of ponykind!”

Chrysalis couldn’t believe her ears. She was forgiven for her crimes and could now live a normal life.

“Thank you princess.” She turned back to Haiku.

“Thank you, for everything you’ve done for me. You showed me kindness and feeling I never felt before. I… I just don’t know how to thank you.” Haiku wrapped his forehooves around her and kissed her forehead.

“How about moving in with me? Staying with me, I mean. It wasn’t just your life that changing when we met. My life was blank and boring before I met you and then you turned my world upside down. You gave me something to look forward to when coming home from work.” Chrysalis felt somebody nudge her slightly.

“Sorry to interrupt Crystal, but it’s not over yet. They still have Shining Armor captive.”

“That won’t be a problem princess Cadence. The main changeling cave is connected to thousands of entrances scattered around Equestria. They’re pretty easy to find, if you know how they look like. Come on we can go now, Shining armor won’t be very well protected, since most of the changelings are still scattered from the battle.”

They took off, right off the balcony, quickly finding a entrance. The few guards that stood there didn’t even bother protecting the prisoner, clearly outmatched by Cadence, Crystal and Celestia.

They found Shining Armor tied up, but fortunately unharmed. They flew back to the castle, where Crystal and Haiku said goodbye and went home. The next morning princess Celestia herself came to their house.

“We’re throwing a celebration in your honor Crystal. We would be humbled if you’d attend it.”

Haiku and she quickly got ready, putting on their best clothes and hurried after the princess.

“Fillies and gentlecolts! As you may have heard, another attack by the changelings took place yesterday. Fortunately, their former leader Chrysalis, now known as Crystal Spark, decided to become our ally. Without her help, we probably wouldn’t have been able to defeat the changeling army or rescue prince Shining Armor, who has been captured by them. For her help, she has been given a chance to redeem herself, which I’m sure she will use wisely. This has proven that ponies and changelings don’t have to be enemies, and I hope, that many will join Crystal and start living in harmony with us.” The whole thrown room, filled with ponies cheered for her.

“Would you like to say a few words Crystal?” She didn’t have anything prepared, but stepped forward anyway.

“Changelings are raised, to not feel love so they can easily deceive ponies, without their feelings distracting them. But I learned, that it doesn’t have to be this way. That we can survive without feeding off other pony’s love for you. I was able to feel love because a beam generated by love hit me and soon learned that loving somepony made me happier than anything I ever experienced before.” She giggled a bit.

“I never knew this, but if you love somepony, food actually satisfies you hunger. That’s why I think that changelings should be raised to love one another, not just taught how to be a parasite.” The crowd responded with a warm applause.

She turned around and returned Haiku’s side.

“That was beautiful.”

“Thanks. Can we go home now? I hardly got enough sleep for what I’ve been through yesterday.” They returned home and collapsed on the bed.

They snuggled for a bit, but soon fell asleep. Crystal stayed in Canterlot, continuing to live with her lover. She even later replaced Shining Armor as captain of the royal guard, when he and Cadence went to rule over the Crystal Empire and after a couple of years, she and Haiku got married.

Crystal was finally happy with her life. She never found a way to get her powers back, but she didn’t care, cause she and Haiku lived happily ever after.

Comments ( 7 )

You need to get this edited properly.

Multiple tense issues and incorrect words. Unable to give it a thumb up in its current state.

awwwwww...
That was shweet

:derpytongue2:

Comment posted by Alexander White deleted Aug 3rd, 2013

Pleeeeeeease give me more feedback! Anything! So many views and almost no comments.

Eh. Needs an editor.

Also, I thought it was strange that Celestia automatically believed Chrysalis. If I was in her place, I would still run the changeling check - ponies can be crazy and think they're someone else, or even lie in order to get themselves in trouble. Some ponies can be really messed up.
By having the Princess believe her confession from the start, you also missed an opportunity to have her tested. Is she still a changeling, but she just can't change? Did she become a pony, and just have some lingering special powers? (love drain) Is she some sort of mix? Or what?

3018191 so far i think it's unanimous that you need to find an editor to touch up this story, plus lengthen some scenes considerably. After that I'm sure you'll get more feed back and thumbs up. Good Luck :ajsmug:

This was an amazing story. If you or someone else were to expand on the plot of the story and also fix all the grammatical errors within this story then I reckon that it will be extremely popular. Continuing with this story would not only attract more views but also help with getting more feedback on your stories. Maybe you could also fix a few plot holes as well.

Login or register to comment