• Published 20th Feb 2012
  • 913 Views, 28 Comments

Fire and Ice: The Elements of Harmony - SquareZack



An earth pony and his friend help the Elements of Harmony defeat Discord after his return.

  • ...
4
 28
 913

Chapter 4: Burning

Ice

“Fire, Fire dear. Get up...” It hurt me to wake Fire, he looked so peaceful. The sun hadn’t risen yet, and young Fluttershy hadn’t woken from her peaceful sleep. She was so kind, letting us two complete strangers sleep in her home. it actually makes sense, she’s the element of Kindness. I like keeping it from Fire, I enjoy watching him and his attempts to discover all that he can. Actually, it’s really easy to keep the Elements of Harmony a secret from Fire, let alone everypony else.


Fire stirred softly. “Fire, dear. It’s time to get up.” I cooed. Fire jumped up in response, alert as ever.


“Who? Ravage? Facade? Darkness?” He began.


“Fire, shush!” I said stern, yet quiet. “We need to leave now.”


Fire began to wake. “Huh? Leave? Now?” He exclaimed.


“Shush, Fire, we need to talk. Outside.” I kept my voice quiet as I guided Fire out of Fluttershy’s cottage.


“Where are we going?” Fire asked quietly.


“To train you. To help you learn to control your fire powers.” I said as we neared the Everfree. When we reached the edge, I turned towards Fire and smiled.


“Did you enjoy burning those timberwolves last night?” I asked.


“Yeah, but I don’t know how I did it...” Fire stared down at the ground, and let out a deep sigh.


“Would you like me to teach you how to control that?” However power mad you might get?


“Oh, please?” Fire begged. “Would you?”


“Absolutely.” I said. Then, I concentrated all of my powers, ice and darkness alike, and slowly, a deep purple colored circle began forming around my hooves. When the circle completed, it burst open, gushing out bursts of wind and dark energy. The area became dark, as if the light was being sucked from it. Two other circles appeared behind me, side by side. The circles began to glow the same light blue at my mane, which waved violently in all directions due to the wind that was emanating from right below me. Two figures, demonic and contorted, slowly rose up from the circles.


The creature to my left was clearly a draconequus, but darker in fur and skin. Its wings were similar, like a bat’s wing, but they were blackened to the point that they almost blended in with the darkness in the Everfree. The scales of its tail were blood red, and had sharp spikes lining it, making the tail a formidable weapon. its lion’s paw had eagle claws extending from it, both being as blue as Luna’s mane. What? I lived in Canterlot in my foalhood. Of course I saw Princess Luna. Its eagle’s claw looked golden, as were its talons. Its mane was pure darkness; blood seeped from it as if it were bleeding. The tip of its tail seemed like it was made of blades. Every strand of fur was as sharp as a butcher knife, and just as deadly. Its face was twisted into a wicked grin, ready for some bloodshed.


The second creature was hardly a threat compared to the Draconequus. It was a darkened unicorn. its fur was a solid white, its eyes a ruby red. So I had conjured up an albino unicorn, I didn’t care. Its mane and tail were also a solid white, blending in with its fur and almost disguising the eradicate and crazed styles they were in. Its horn poked out of the side of its head, and about an inch out, the horn curves so that its pointing forward. Its eyes were half closed, and its mouth was a solid line. Its stance was passive, its gaze was stern. It clearly didn’t care about anything that was going on around it and was completely adamant about that fact. A deep blue aura of magic shone around its horn as it prepared to fight.


“OK, Fire,” I began instructing. “For us non-unicorn magic folk, near the beginning of our magical stage in life, a sole emotion powers our magic. As we age, we begin to be able to control that magic so that that emotion can no longer power it, but our minds.” I looked towards Fire to see if he was paying attention, and he was. “You represent the element of fire, obviously. The most common emotion that comes with fiery magic is-”


“Rage.” Fire finished for me.


“Yes, Fire. Rage accompanies fire ponies. Now, in the earlier stages of life, more specifically yours,” I motioned towards Fire for emphasis. “one can voluntarily activate his or her magic by sparking their emotion within them. Do you have a certain memory that sparks your rage, Fire?”


Fire almost immediately flared up. The fire emanating from his body swirled around his coat and licked his mane and tail. In his eyes were signs of hate, pure anger, and raw power. I must have been staring, because Fire seemed to look at me like, Continue please? And I snapped out of it.


“Okay, so all you need to do is focus on your rage, and try to channel it through your body, preferably out of a certain part of you, such as your hooves, your mane, or you could- woah!” I barely had time to react before Fire let loose an enormous flamethrower attack. The flaming jet streaming from his mouth headed straight towards the albino unicorn I had conjured, who simply leaned away, dodging the blast completely. It yawned. Fire only yelled in rage and unleashed another flamethrower. The albino unicorn, having fully charged its spell, the unicorn whispered, “Dark Pulse,” and from its sideways horn, a pitch black orb of dark energy flew towards Fire’s flamethrower. The dark pulse crashed into the flamethrower and easily pushed it back. Fire noticed the receding flames, cut his flamethrower, and leapt out of the way just in time for the orb to fly harmlessly behind him.


Seeing how Fire seemed to have this, I turned towards the dark draconequus and whispered, “Wait until the unicorn’s down, then go for the fiery one.” The draconequus nodded, and I turned and disappeared into the deeper parts of the Everfree Forest.


Once a considerable distance into the damned woods, I stopped and took a look at my surroundings. The woods were considerably darker than the rest. The trees hung over me, as if they were watching me. I saw something in the distance, it looked like two ponies.


“The curse had befallen her this very night!” The silhouetted pony said. The other one just froze. “She had the mark! She had to go!” Beside the screaming pony there seemed to be the skeleton of a pony, lying in a pool of blood. The pony who was speaking seemed to be completely silhouetted, even as I moved closer to see what was going on. The other pony looked to be a bright yellow, with a mane the color of red apples.


“Who’s there?” I shouted. The yellow pony took one look at me, looked back to the darkened pony, then nearly fainted out of fright.

I looked around the area. There seemed to be the remains of a town here. The silhouetted pony looked at me. I now realised what this was. Two blood red- no. Two bloody eyes stared right through mine. The pony wasn’t even alive. Its mane ran down the length of its back, seemingly sticking to it, its tail hung down straight, unmoving. The entirety of the pony’s color was solid black. What seemed to be a pair of horns stuck out of the top of its head.

It took a few steps towards me, and my mind began racing, trying to think of a plan. Before I could react, a dark void consumed my body and I felt myself fall into a near unconscious state, where I lay on the ground, unable to move, yet aware of my surroundings.

“W- What happened to Ruby?” A filly’s voice rang. It was most likely the yellow one.

“Don’t worry.” The zombie pony lulled. “You will never become like her. We will protect you.” I struggled to wake up from my half sleep state. The cry of a filly rang through my ears, startling me awake. The zombie pony leaned in towards the scared stiff filly, and whispered, “FOREVERRR.”

I got up to my feet quickly, which got the attention of the zombie. “What? How are you awake?”

“I’m not a normal pony.” I said, and focused my icy powers in by breath. I felt the temperature drop as chilled air swirled around me, and I released an ice cold beam of... well, ice. The zombie pony barely had enough time to react before it was frozen to the bone. I then charged straight at the frozen zombie statue and rammed my head into it in a headbutt, shattering it completely.

It’s bad enough that I was interrupted by whatever this was. The filly, now frightened at me, ran off. I almost ran after her, but something caught my attention. I looked over to my right and saw the silhouette of a unicorn. It slowly trotted towards me and cast a spell that turned the area to solid ice. I love that spell.

“Thank you for coming.” I smiled. The silhouetted pony nodded to my back. I understood what it meant, and nodded back. “Let’s get started.” I said, concentrating my magic to freeze my own body over.

Luna

I saw it. Another cotton candy cloud. Tia doesn’t believe me; she never took me seriously. It’s her fault I turned into Nightmare Moon. She never listens to me, always telling me that I’m either seeing things or I’m being silly. But I’m not. This cloud really is made of cotton candy. I don’t know where it came from, but I know that Discord is behind it. Discord is returning from..... wherever Celestia banished him to. I used my magic to search the deepest parts of the Everfree Forest, where nothing escapes, but my search proved unsuccessful.

I remember the time when Tia and I stood up to Discord those many millennia ago. We used the Elements of Harmony to turn him to stone. When he broke out, Twilight Sparkle and her friends re-used the elements to turn him back to stone. What happened to him then, only Tia and I know. She banished him to a faraway place, where she said he would never return.

Discord is returning, and I am going to stop him.

So, how'd ya'll like chapter 4? I know it took too long, and still needs to be proofed. (No comments about the mistakes, please.)
For those of you Luna fans, I'm gonna have chapters describing Luna's quest to find Discord. Anyways, a like or a favourite is always appreciated!