• Published 24th May 2013
  • 15,559 Views, 659 Comments

Five years of Ice, A thousand years of Flame - Lucky424



I went under for five years waiting for a cure. Something went wrong.

  • ...
88
 659
 15,559

Chapter 10: 1+1= a window.

Quick A/N: Bilsilat, there are more pictures, but remember, you don't have to look!


We were stood looking out over the bay, the skies clear. We could see everything thanks to the light from the moon. Wrapped in my arms was the woman of my dreams, someone who I would give everything for. Nothing was said between us, as there was no need. She pulled away and headed inside, our wine glasses in her hand. Must have been going for a refill.

I heard the door open after a few minutes, but the expected embrace never came. “Alec, where did you go?”

“What do you mean Sarah? I'm right here!”

“This isn't funny! Now where are you!”

“I'm right here! I'm standing in front of you!”

“Well, I'm going back inside. You can have your fun!”

“What the fuck are you talking about? Can't you see me?Or hear me?” I followed her back through the kitchen, and in to the bedroom. My friend Simon was lying there.

“Is he gone?”

“Yeah... now we don't have to worry about anything.”

“You're supposed to be my friend!! I'll fucking kill you!!” I leapt towards the bed, but passed right through it. I got back to my feet and turned around, ready to try again, but a window had been put in front of me. I watched as Sarah slowly laid on top of him, banging my hands against the glass. “SARAH!!! SARAH, DON'T!! NO, SARAH, I'M RIGHT HERE! I'LL NEVER LEAVE YOU!! PLEASE, COME BACK TO ME!! SARAH!!”


Rarity awoke early in the morning to a loud and repetitive sound. It took her a few minutes to recognise the noise. “Oh my, he certainly does snore loudly. I hope he's okay down there.” She hopped out of bed and proceeded to have a shower, fix her make up and mane, then go to make breakfast. Once down the stairs, she found the snoring was coming from her shop, not her guest room. “A sleepwalker, wonderful!” She trotted in to wake him up, but stopped when she saw who was in her shop.

Just poking over the edge of the couch were some yellow feathers. Upon further inspection, she found Fluttershy asleep with a Stetson on her head, a matching vest on her chest. There was a picture in her hooves, which Rarity picked up in her magic, shaking her head at what was on show. She saw a golden hoof poking out from her supply closet, trotting over to find Braeburn asleep. In Fluttershy's showpony dress she had made for certain nights at the tavern. She heard rattling from her kitchen and walked over to find Applejack trying to get a glass of water. “Applejack, what are you, your cousin, and Fluttershy doing in my boutique?”

“Keep it down would ya, mah head is pounding.” Rarity used her magic to turn the tap on full blast, making the water splash into AJ's face. “Now why would ya do that? Ah'm already awake!”

“And now perhaps you could tell me why Braeburn is asleep in my fabric storage wearing Fluttershy's dress, and she is crashed on my couch wearing his hat and vest, and why you are all in my shop at six thirty in the morning!” Applejack finally managed to open her eyes.

“Uh... morning Rarity, what are ya doing here at t' farm?”

“Take another look around, Applejack.” The mare took in her surroundings, realising that this was most definitely not the farm.

“Ahhh hay. Is mah cousin around?”

“In the shop, darling.” She got up off the ground and wobbly trotted out of the kitchen, Rarity letting out a sigh as she tried to calm down.

“WHAT THE HAY? BRAEBURN, WHY ARE YA WEARING THAT?”

“Uhhhh, AJ... stop whispering so loudly...”

“AH AIN'T WHISPERIN', BRAE!! LOOK AT YOURSELF!!”

“AHHH, WHAT THE HAY DID AH DO LAST NIGHT?”

“mmm, I like delicious braeburn apples...” Rarity poked her head out just in time to see a yellow blur hungrily attack the very confused stallion. It was clear that alcohol had played a part in this particular escapade. A shout from the room behind her drew her attention.

SARAH, DON'T!” There were a few more mumbles and she trotted over, cracking the door open slightly.

“Are you okay, darling?” She pushed the door open completely, allowing light to filter in. He was tossing and turning, sweat beading at his head, and his arms flailing wildly. Rarity was too afraid of being hit to go in and help.

SARAH, NO!!!” He shot up, eyes wide and staring around the room, breathing heavily. He spotted the worried unicorn by the door. He flopped back down, bringing a hand to his forehead.

“Darling, whatever is wrong?”

“Just a bad dream, nothing to worry about.”

“But you were calling out for... I'm sorry, it's not my place to say.” She turned to leave him in peace, but his voice bid her to stop.

“Please, don't go. I... don't want to be alone right now.”

“I will stay as long as I can, but... I must open the shop at some point today.”

“Rarity?” She looked down to her sister, now standing next to her. “I... can stay with him if you like. All I've got to do today is homework, and I... already invited Applebloom and Scootaloo over so we could work on it together. Is...that okay?”

“It's not me that has to decide that, Sweetie.” She looked up to see him trying to climb out of bed. “I wouldn't do that if I were you, darling.”

“And why not? I'm not going to sit around doing nothing all day, I'll go crazy. Okay... crazier.”

“Because Fluttershy is in the next room, still slightly inebriated, and she is very forceful like that.” She allowed a smirk to play across her muzzle. “And she may restrain you to the bed if you insist on moving around.”

“I can tell by the look on your face that you'd enjoy that...” Rarity could feel the heat in her cheeks, mouth agape with no rebuttal.

“Rarity, what does he mean by that?”

“N-n-n-n-nothing! I mean, it is a joke between adults, Sweetie Belle, I will tell you when you are older.” She set her face into a glare, signalling to him that she was serious. “Now, there will be no more talk of such things. Do you think you could suffer three fillies arguing over whether two plus seven is nine or eleven?”

“Really? It's maths homework?”

“Mmmhmm, my sister and her friends always have trouble with it, do you think you could help, darling?”

He gave a deep laugh, a smile finally playing at his face. “Oh yeah, I can help. I was an engineer in my old life, so maths is a must for me, so it shouldn't be a problem.”

“Wonderful! Sweetie Belle, I assume you have already eaten?” a quick nod. “Well, run along and gather your friends. I shall make us some breakfast. Hopefully I have enough to fill two farm ponies stomachs. I should think that without working all day, they would be morbidly obese with their appetites.”

“Hey! Ah heard that Rarity!Ah've seen you gorge yourself before, what was it?”

“To be fair, Applejack, that cake was asking to be eaten. And there was plenty of them to have one to myself! It took me a while to work it off too, so I've learnt my lesson. Now, are you staying for something to eat?”

“Sure, Ah'll stay, but Flutters and Brae have left. Think they're going eat out for breakfast. They forgot to get changed though.” Rarity started to giggle, steady getting louder until it was full on laughter, Applejack joining her at the image of Braeburn walking through town wearing that. Something on the floor caught Rarity's eye, and she floated it up to see the forgotten photograph.

“Oh my... I think Fluttershy left something behind. Tell me, Applejack, where did this photo come from?” The orange mare looked over it once, her face becoming one of horror.

“Oh Celestia, Ah thought that was a dream. Uh, Rarity, don't go in to ya inspiration room before Ah've had a chance to...uh, 'clear up', would ya?” It was too late. As soon as she heard what room it was, she took of, returning with some small bits of paper in her magic.

“Now then what have we here? Alec, darling, even though you are not a pony, would you like to help me judge their 'artistic' abilities?”

“Sure, why not. Let's start with the first one.” She floated it over to him, and he gave it a good look. “Rarity, where did she get something like this?”

“Simple, darling, I made it. Don't look like that, this is the only clothing establishment in Ponyville, of course I would make things of a more adult nature. It is only when asked and to order, which is why nothing is on display. I didn't expect her to find my personal collection, however.”

“This is yours? I don't want to know. What's next?”

“Oh, it's just Fluttershy being as adorable as ever, as per usual.” The picture was floated on to the dresser in the room. “Oh my... take a look at this one, darling!” The next one was floated over to the bed, and he looked it, then to AJ, then the picture, then to AJ again.

“Where the hell did you get those apples from?”

“What apples? Ah don't remember any apples.” He turned the photo round so she could see it. “Rarity, Ah'll do anything you want as long as you never show that picture to anypony... ever.”

“Hmm, I may just hold you to that Applejack, but judging by these next two, you're going to owe me quite a few favours!” They were both set down at the foot of the bed, so all three could see them.

“Uh, Rarity, can Ah see the next one?” She gave it a quick peek, before shrugging and showing it to the mare. “Yeah, that's what Ah thought. Can Ah have that one? Ah got an idea for it.”

“Of course darling.” It was floated over to her, and she slipped it under her hat. “Applejack.”

“Yes, Rarity?”

“Where did you find... this?” A hand shot forward and snatched it away before she could react. She turned to see him smiling at her. “What is so funny?”

“Well, you're having a pop a AJ for these, and now there is one of you. A bit hypocritical of you, isn't it?”

“Two.”

“What?”

“There are two of me.” She passed the last on over to him, and he gave it a look, before setting it down on the bed.

“Maybe you should use this for advertising your 'back room' ensemble?”

“No!” They were swept up and she made sure neither him nor Applejack could reach them. “These are meant for Th..... ahem, a certain... stallion.”

“Well why 'aven't ya sent them to 'im yet??”

“Because I'm going to ask Dash to deliver them when she goes back to the Academy!”

“Oh, so y'all got your eyes on a Wonderbolt, huh?”

“Well... not quite a Wonderbolt. Now enough of this, it is breakfast time!” She turned and strode to the kitchen, forgetting to take the photographs. The sounds of pots and pans banging came through as he stretched up to the shelf, retrieving the pictures. He leant over and whispered to Applejack.

“Take these to Dash, and don't tell Rarity. Get her to deliver them. I think, for some reason, she'll know who it is.”

“Sure Sugarcube, Ah'll be right back. Gotta make a slight detour as well.”


The stallion wiped his light brown mane out of his face, getting rid of some of the sweat as well. He'd have to talk to Applejack about getting some equipment to clear some tree roots from the eastern field, but she had told him before that he could find the best deal, then let her know and she'd give him the money for it. Unfortunately, this time he'd need to go to Canterlot, as nopony in Ponyville had something big enough. He pushed open the door to his tavern, which also doubled as his home. He collected his mail, as he was always gone before it came whenever he worked the farm.

Opening a set of curtains, he started to sort it in to three separate piles, a well rehearsed routine. “Bill, bill, junk, bill, junk, junk, definitely junk,” he tossed the letter with two gold lightning bolts on it straight in the bin. “When will she get it into her head that we're through! What's next? Bill, bill, junk, junk, letter from mom and dad, junk, bill, hello, what's this?” The letter in question was in a plain white envelope, a single blue horseshoe matching his cutie mark on it.

He tore it open, watching as a single item fell, hitting the floor face down. Cautiously he flipped it over, but what awaited him made him smile. He picked up the photograph and trotted to his private quarters, placing it on the mantelpiece next to the picture of his tavern opening, the same mare stood next to him after dropping off her first delivery of cider.

“Looks like I'm going to need to have a talk with Big Mac...” He quickly went to his bathroom to dunk his head in some cold water, and then set off back towards Sweet Apple Acres. Little did he realise there was a pair of emerald eyes watching, shining with delight as she saw where the picture had been placed.


A young colt ran down the hall to the front door of his house, where the bell had just rang. He cracked it open to see two cheery grinned, blue pegasi, one with magenta eyes and a rainbow mane, the other with green eyes dark blue mane. Even without the uniforms, the colt still recognized them. He filled his lungs with air to yell in excitement, but he was blocked by two blue fore hooves before he could exhale. “Easy squirt, this is just a quick visit. Is your brother home?”

“Yes Miss Dash, he's in the back. Would you like me to get him for you?” The colt stared googly eyed at one of his idols and one of their recruits. His brother may have been one a well, but nothing beats an actual Wonderbolt!

“Nah, can you just give him this please?” Dash handed him a white envelope, emblazoned with three blue diamonds. “And whatever you do, don't peek!” He threw up a quick salute, well, the best a colt could do, and they said their goodbyes. He closed the door and trotted towards his brothers room, wondering why the envelope smelt of marshmallows. Shaking his head, he knocked on the door, and slipped in, seeing his brother just getting out of bed.

“Mail call!”

The stallion groaned and pulled a pillow over his head. “Dude, I'm not at the academy now, quieten down would ya!”

“Sorry bro, but you got a letter. Miss Dash and Mr Soarin just delivered it.”

“Lt Soarin was here? Was it important?”

“I don't think so, the mark on here doesn't match anypony's that I recognise.” The stallion took the envelope and opened it, eyes going wide at the contents. “Is it bad? Bro, what's wrong?”

“Nothing little guy, and no it's not bad. What time is it?”

“Around half nine.”

“Good, we got plenty of time. We'll get something to eat, then head to the train station to go meet mom, dad, and our cousins in Canterlot on the one o'clock train. Plus, I need to make a side trip. I hope Rose has some blue ones in.” He slipped the photo into his saddlebags, not giving the young colt a chance to see it.


After breakfast I offered to do the dishes, but was ushered out of the kitchen by two very adamant mares saying that I should still be resting. Which is why I found myself in Sweetie Belle's room, trying to teach three fillies some year seven maths, (that's 6th grade for all you yanks.), and they had just broken into the umpteenth argument. “That's not right Applebloom! You've done it wrong again!”

“Ah have not!! Ah did it the way you said!! You jus' gave me the wrong numbers! What did you get, Sweetie Belle?”

“I... got a fish.” Leaning over the table, I saw she had indeed drawn a fish, having given up halfway through the problem. Sitting back, I sighed. Again.

“Okay girls, how about we work through this together? Applebloom, you tell me what the question is.”

“It's eight hundred and sixty two point sixteen plus a hundred and thirty seven point eighty four.” I wrote it down in the flip chart we were using.

“Okay, Sweetie Belle, what do we do first?”

“Add the numbers after the decimal point, starting at the far right.”

“Good. So, what's first?”

“Six plus four, which is ten. And you carry the one.”

“Good. And the next one?”

“One plus eight, which is nine, and you add the one from before, making ten again.”

“And where do we put the one, this time... Scootaloo?”

“It goes across the other side of the decimal point.”

“Good, would you like to get us started on the bigger numbers?”

“Two plus seven plus one is ten, making it zero again, and you carry the one.”

“Good. And the next one?”

“Six plus three plus one is ten, again, and you carry the one.”

“That's where Ah got confused. How can ya carry the one when there ain't no numbers above it?”

“That one, because there is no number above it, becomes the number above it.”

“So the answer is... a thousand?” I patted the bow-wearing filly on the head.

“Yes, that's correct. Do you understand how to do it now?”

“Yes, Mr Luckes, thanks fer explaining it.”

“No worries. I'm going to get us some drinks, you girls carry on.” I hobbled my way down the stairs, seeing Rarity with a customer. Applejack had long since left, saying something about making sure Big Mac was resting and making sure her help was still working. The customer's eyes went wide and I could see her shaking with fear.

“Hmm?” Rarity looked over her shoulder at me. “Oh, don't mind him, darling, he's harmless. Well, that's not true, but he's not a threat to us anyway. So, how are they doing?”

“Not too bad, we had a few arguments about who was right, but once I got them to work through the problems they got the sums right. I've come down to get some refreshments.”

“You shouldn't be doing that! You could've called, and I would have got them for you!”

“I'm fine Rarity, it's just a dull throb in my shin now.”

“Excuse me?” We turned to the mare still waiting. “What problems are you talking about?”

“Oh, he's helping Sweetie Belle and her friends with their maths homework.” Her eyes suddenly went wide. “Oh my! Was she supposed to do it herself?”

“No, no, it's not a problem, I'm just glad she is getting help before class on Monday, unlike some other students.” She hopped down from the stage she was on and slowly made her way towards me. “Are... you... a teacher?”

“No, I'm a... was an engineer, so I had to know my maths. And science, but other than, I haven't got a clue.”

“I see. Could you... would you come to the school on Monday?”

“You want me to what?”

“Well, I could do with some help in maths, this class don't seem to be getting to grips with it.” I looked to Rarity to see her smile and nod, indicating this was something I should do.

“Uh, sure. But what I freak the foals out?”

“I'll be sure to tell them about you before you come in. Now, Rarity, have you got all the measurements you need?”

“Yes darling, and your... outfit will be ready in a few days, I'll get Sweetie Belle to pass on when to pick it up.”

“Thanks Rarity, and I'll see you Monday.” With that the mare left the store, whilst I continued to stare at Rarity.

“Something the matter?”

“Yeah, two things... one, who was that? Two, what the fuck did I just agree to?”

“That was Cheerliee, the local teacher. And you just agreed to help Sweetie Belle's class with the maths problems.”

“Shit.” There was a knock on the door, and Rarity went over to open it, revealing a whole host of ponies, namely her friends and a few tag a longs. Twilight looked up from to ground as Rarity looked down. I hobbled over and looked past her shoulder. Lying on the floor was a single blue rose, with a dark grey feather crossing it.

“Oh... my.” I looked up to see a grin on Dash's face, as well as the three ponies stood next to her. Rarity picked the items with her magic and headed upstairs, all of us watching her. She came back down with a blissful smile on her face, before finally noticing how many ponies were in her shop. “Oh... my, this was unexpected. To what do we owe this pleasure?”

Twilight stepped forward, a clear look of unease on her face. “I'm sorry Alec, but we've come to take you to Canterlot, Celestia and Luna would like a word with you.” I then saw gold reflecting in through the door way, very brightly. The only way it was possible was if there was a lot of metal outside. Which could only mean one thing.

“I assume they think I won't come quietly?”

“What makes you say that? They just want a chat.” The way her eyes went everywhere except mine told me the truth.

“You know that I can take them, right? Even with my leg like this?”

“I know... and I don't want things to go like that. Please, they just want to talk.” She finally looked at me, but not my face. Instead her gaze drifted to my side, and I followed it. I then realised that I had been backing away, ending up at the table with my weapons on it, hand resting on the rifle butt. “Please...”

“Call them off... and I'll come with you.” I looked round at the assembled ponies, each and every one of them with fear on their faces. “I'll even leave all my weapons behind.” Twilight's ears perked at that, and she trotted out of the door. The gold shining from outside flared briefly, and then it disappeared upwards. Must have all been pegasi. Twilight came trotting back in, with one guard remaining. I couldn't see his face, and his armour was different. He must have been someone very important.

“I'm sorry, but he insisted that he stay with us for safety.” I watched as the pony raised a hoof, lifting the visor, revealing the scowling face of Shining Armour. His expression was something that could make nightmares have nightmares.

Author's Note:

...........whoops.


So........we now have CaraJack.....yeah, yeah, another 'cliché' ship!!! And for those of you screaming he's already got a filly friend......go back and read that section!!!!!

Right, someone must know who I've chosen for Rarity by now! I couldn't make it any more obvious unless I said his name!!!
So that's TwiMac, SoarDash, FlutterBurn, CaraJack, Rarity????.........and that leaves Pinkie Pie!!!
Only one stallion to guess. I'll give you a slight hint....he is named in the show!