• Published 24th May 2013
  • 15,491 Views, 659 Comments

Five years of Ice, A thousand years of Flame - Lucky424



I went under for five years waiting for a cure. Something went wrong.

  • ...
88
 659
 15,491

Chapter 24: Decision time.

Admiral Luckes held on tight as the Eagle flared up, coming to a stop above the castle courtyard. She looked out the window as it descended, seeing ponies lining the rolled out red carpet that led to the hastily created landing pad. The updraft caused it to wobble for a moment, before settling on the ground. The door opened and she stepped out, followed by her command crew, dressed in their best uniforms. Well, the best that they had brought with them.

They saw the two large ponies and walked towards them, stopping around two meters away. The white one walked forward, wings flaring out. It then spoke, with some difficulty. "H-h-hello. I a-am Princ-c-cess Celestia. Wel-com to Equestria."

"Thank you, your majesty. I am Sarah Luckes." Both of the ponies' eyes widened at this, and the blue one jumped forward, the command crew stepping around the admiral.

"Yup fro gju Luckes?"

"Luna, op hitgy dre gur!" The blue one looked down to the ground sheepishly, before raising her head up again.

"I am s-sorry. I am Princ-ess Luna. Am I rig-ht in as-king you are fam-ly?"

"Yes, I am a descendant of his brother." The two looked to each other and nodded, motioning them to follow. They did so, entering the castle and heading down the long corridor. Every few feet were guards, some pegasi, some unicorns, and some normal ponies. A large set of doors blocked their way, but the guards nearby turned and their horns started to glow. The doors swung open in the same coloured aura, and they entered a throne room.

It had been changed around a little for this occasion, a long table placed down it's length with seats around it. Twenty two of them were occupied by humans. Admiral Luckes saw one at the end wave her down, and she walked over to see the lieutenant. "Ma'am, welcome to Canterlot. You'll be sitting next to me." She followed his outstretched arm and sat down. Almost immediately they were served trays of soup.

It was then that she noticed the guards lining the walls, and the smaller table next to her where six ponies sat. Five of them had necklaces on that matched the marks on their flanks, the sixth with a tiara instead. She was seated closest to the admiral, and smiled at her. "Hello, nice to meet you. My name is Twilight Sp..." There was a snicker from the lieutenant, and the mare sighed. "My name is Twilight. It is very nice to meet you."

"The same, my name is Sarah. I must say you speak English very well."

"Well, I was taught to write first, and then it was just the case of learning the way to sound the words. And don't worry about Luna and Celestia, they struggled to learn it this morning, plus I'm a quick study."

"And very talkative too." There was a snort from the blue mare with a rainbow styled mane, and Twilight just glared at her. "I didn't say it was a bad thing. I assume Sergeant Luckes taught you?"

"Sergeant Luckes? Oh, you mean Alec. Yes, we spent nearly a whole day talking, mainly about him. He was the first human we had seen, after all."

"Speaking of, where is he?"

"Oh, he's around. He'll be here soon. He likes to...how do I put this? He seems to like annoying ponies, doing things like this, but I'll try to find out." She got up and walked to Luna. "Gru hot yu guj Alec?"

"Ti gu fre ut. Ul kige hur jik." The blue mare got up and left the room, waving her guards off. Twilight returned to her seat and smiled to Sarah.

"Luna's gone to get him, she shouldn't be long."


"Come on, how fucking hard can this be?" I turned to the door opening, watching as Luna walked in. "Is there a reason you're making me wear this monkey suit?"

"Well I for one think you look quite fetching in it. Now, what is taking you so long?"

"...I can't do this stupid fucking tie right." Luna trotted over and pushed my hands out of the way with her wings, using her magic to correctly set the tie. She finished with a quick kiss. "Thanks. Still think you should let me take care off them." Luna shook her head, laughing lightly.

"Oh hush now. Besides, I won't risk losing you." The silence was a little awkward, so I decided to change the subject.

"So, shall we get this over with?" She nodded and headed towards the door, before stopping and scrutinising my suit as I turned around.

"Alec, what is that bulge?" Ah shit. "If that is a weapon, take it out right now." I reached back and pulled the pistol out, laying it down on the desk. "They are not armed, so we can at least do the same. Now come, I have a surprise for you."


Sarah had spent the last ten minutes chatting up a storm with Twilight. The biggest shock was finding out that magic was real, and there was no hidden technology that the unicorns were utilising. She proved this by using magic to teleport the one called Rainbow Dash, who kept snickering at things she said, above her seat upside down. The pegasus managed to right herself just before she hit the floor.

Movement at the door way caught their attention, and she looked over to see Luna coming back, and walking next to her was... Sarah jumped up and ran down the hall. The two stopped walking and stared at her as she slowed to a crawl. She slowly approached, raising a hand when she got about a meter away. She moved her arm closer, and gently pushed against his chest. Once she had ascertained he was real, she leapt forward and wrapped her arms around his neck.


I didn't know how to react. I walked in with Luna, knowing that the others would be there, when this woman approached, and now was trying her best to snap my neck. I reached up and gently pulled her arms apart, stepping back a little bit. "Let's try this again. Hi, I'm Alec." I reached out my hand to her, and she smiled, sticking hers out.

"Hello Alec, my name is Sarah." Hundreds of memories flashed in front of my eyes, and the woman spoke again. "Sarah... Luckes." I fell to the floor in shock, breaths coming faster and faster. My family had survived? Were there more out there? How did they find me? All of these questions formed in my mind, but all my mouth could do was wobble, not sure what to say. "Are... you okay?"

My eyes lost focus on everything, and my hearing started to fade. I could hear them talking, but it was like I was underwater. My breathing was still fast, and my entire body started to tingle. And then Luna came into focus. Not her voice or her in general, but her eyes. I took all the strength I needed from them, standing once more. Sarah looked at me worriedly, but it was my turn to embrace her, actually lifting her off the floor in a bear hug.


"Alec?" I turned from the balcony to see Luna sat on my bed, something clearly bothering her by the tone of her voice. I closed the bay windows and sat down next to her, placing my arm across her shoulders. "This changes things doesn't it, knowing you have a family still? I know what you want to do, and... as much as I want you to stay... it is not my place to ask such a thing."

I shook my head, gaze lingering on the tags that had been placed on my desk. My choice was made, family or not, and nothing would change it now. I spun round and sat against the headboard, pulling Luna with me. "I am from a world far different to what they know now. I'd never get used to it, and it would slowly drive me mad. Besides, going with them would mean leaving you."

"But... these one are like you, and of your blood! Why would you forsake them for me?"

"Because I love you." She whipped her head round at me, mouth hanging open in shock. "Yes, I just said that. So now you know why I won't leave."

"But what if there is another of your species that you could meet?"

"So what if there is? Why would I attempt to find someone across hundreds of worlds, which may take years, when I can stay here and be happy now? Luna, I've made my decision. I'm staying." She slowly spun around, her front pressing on my chest instead of her back. There was relief in her eyes, and she leant closer, closing them. I did the same, meeting her soft lips with mine. As we pulled apart, Luna raised her hoof and stroked my cheek.

"uh, am I interrupting something?" We snapped our heads up to see Sarah looking in from the door.

"Sarah, we need to talk. Take a seat, because this is going to be a hard conversation." She did as asked, and I sat on the edge of the bed, facing her. It was then that I realised I couldn't tell the difference between Equestrian and English, but from Luna's confused face, I knew she didn't understand, which would make this slightly easier. "I know how it looks, how it's taboo... but... how do I put this?"

"You don't have to. Do you really think that in a thousand years of space travel we haven't met other species? The Galactic British Empire spreads through three galaxies. The Solar Reich covers ten. You are not the first one to... embrace the locals, and you will certainly not be the last."

"Thank you, that's the hardest part out of the way. Now then, how did you find me?"

"We got your SOS, and once we were authorized, came straight to this region of space."

"I'd forgotten about that. Okay then, why did you come?"

"You're family, why wouldn't I? I mean, sure, we're separated by a millenium, but we're still related. I couldn't call myself a Luckes if I didn't try."

"You sure you're a descendant of my brother?"

"Yes, why?"

"Because you sound nothing like that fat, arrogant cu..."

"Without Commander Luckes, none of us would be here."

"Commander... Luckes? Okay, you've definitely got the wrong person there."

"Really? So who is this then?" She pulled up a data pad and handed it to me. On the screen was a family tree, and her name was highlighted by a green line. I traced it back though time, and sure enough, there he was. Cmdr Luckes, (Initial unknown), right next to me, SGT Luckes, A. "He and his troops held off an overwhelming force for thirty years with supplies that should not have lasted ten."

"I can't believe it, but the proof is right before me. What is your mission here?"

"To take you home... or to avenge you, if we had to."

"And what if... I chose to remain?"

"But... why wouldn't you want to come home?"

"Because my home is Earth. I've seen how it looks now, remember. My home was destroyed, and this is the only other world I know. Two is enough for someone from my time. And there's another reason."

"What's that?" I turned around and smiled at Luna. "Oh... I see. So you are staying because of her?"

"Not just her, no. There are a few things. What you've told me of humanity... nothing has changed, we're still fighting each other. The worlds you've told me of are as alien as Mars was in my time. And then there's the matter that I have made many friends here, and I couldn't imagine life without them. Not with all the help they've given me. For example, after crashing here, I became a bit depressed. I tried to put a bullet in my head, but someone... pony was there to stop me. And now she's on my bed."

"I... understand. Is there nothing I can do to change your mind?" I stood up from the bed and walked over to her, leaning over the desk.

"Hold out your hands." She did as asked, and I dropped my dog tags into them. "That's me, right there. You've found me, you know I'm okay. I give you these as a memento of ages past. Do with them what you will, because I have no use for them any more."

"And the ring?"

"That belonged to someone a long time ago."

"Dr Hunt. It's all in your file, everything about you. Well, some bits are wrong, like it doesn't say anything about you and an alien princess... But at least we can take you off the M.I.A list. A discharge with full honours should do it. Last chance though."

"I'm staying."

"Very well. We'll be leaving tomorrow, but should you ever want to contact us, I'll leave you a quantum comm terminal. It allows near instant communication across nearly unlimited distance. The one I have prepared connects to my station, and my station only."

"Your station?"

"Yes, I am an admiral after all. Now I'll leave you and your..."

"Mare." Sarah smiled at that, and then shook her head.

"Your mare alone to... rest. Today has been interesting, and I am quite tired. Good night... uncle."

"Good night... niece." She smiled once more before standing and walking out of the door, closing it behind her gently. I walked back to the bed and laid down next to Luna, who was watching me intently. "What?"

"Well?"

"Well what?"

"How did she take it?"

"Like a true Luckes. I'm staying Luna, and she's leaving me away to contact them if I want to. I'll still be here, but if I want, or need, to talk to another human, then I can." She rolled over to snuggle down next to me, but winced as her left side brushed my chest. "Easy there, you got shot a couple of days ago, remember? Let's try this." I stripped to my underwear, holding the covers up for Luna. Once she was in I crawled in beside her. I rolled her on to her front and pulled her to my side. She rested he head on my shoulder and draped her left foreleg over my chest.

"Now this is much more comfortable."


The next morning thirty six humans walked through the castle gardens, down the red carpet to the landing pad, where three drop ships waited. They reached the pads and stopped marching, turning to line the route. There were two more to come, and they were currently stood by the former sergeant Luckes and the two princesses. The lieutenant stood still as Luna embraced him, earning him a scowl from the other man.

Admiral Luckes shook hooves with both ponies and stopped in front of him. There were a few whispered words, and then she threw her arms around his neck. They turned and walked towards the drop ships, and once there the admiral cast one last look across the castle, straightening up and saluting, which was promptly returned by the man at the other end of the garden.

The troops then steamed past her and on to the ships until she was the last one to climb on board. She took a seat near the window, tightening her belt as it started to rise. There was a set of dog tags hanging from her hand, and the troops nearest to her barely heard her whisper. "...goodbye, uncle."


I stood watching the drop ships take off, ascending to the large ship hovering in the sky. They docked with it, and five minutes later it headed to the upper atmosphere. And then it was gone, taking my only chance of returning to humanity. I felt a hoof placed on my shoulder, and turned to see Luna looking concerned at me. I took her hoof in my hand and squeezed gently, my next words making her smile. "I'm home."

We walked back into the castle, the doors closing behind us. Luna gasped in surprise as I picked her up, carrying her towards the infirmary for her check up. She was in there for about an hour, and I sat outside waiting for her. The door swung open, and I saw a blue leg stick out. It was longer than usual, and I raised my gaze to see Luna had transformed again. I looked to the side and winked at Twilight, who lit her horn.

With a flash of light the spell was neutralised, Luna returning to her true form. The shock was clear on her face. "But...I don't understand. Do you no longer wish for me to look like so?"

"Every now and then, sure, but right now I want you." She smiled and then looked up, mouth dropping open as she saw me. "Luna, what's wrong?"

"Was that a contained magic dispel, or an area one?" I didn't have a clue, so shrugged, letting my wings stre... wait a minute, wings?

"WHAT THE FUCK? TWILIGHT!"

"I DON'T KNOW!" I looked at my hands, finding them once more covered in beige fur, and then noticed that my clothes had been ripped away. I instantly placed my hands over my crotch. Twilight had her head tilted to the side. "I can see why you don't want to share him now!"

"FUCK IT, WE'RE GOING TO ZECORA'S, NOW!"


"I was certain of the remedy, instead it was temporary." The mare busied herself checking the amount of ingredients, and making sure she had the exact amounts. "How long it will now last we shall see, but for permanence I cannot guarantee."

"Zecora... stop." She did as asked, staring at me. "If you can't guarantee it, then don't bother. I'll find another solution." I got up and walked to the door, thanking the mare for trying. "Oh, and one last thing. Orange." I closed the door laughing as I heard what I assumed was cursing in her native tongue. It was early evening, the sun just going down. Well, if I was going to be stuck like this, might as well make use of it. Pity there were trees in the way.

Once I was on the edge of the Everfree Forest I let my wings spread, the feathers being ruffled by a slight breeze. I liked it here, but Luna lived in Canterlot, and that was quite a distance to fly... but then how would I know my limits? I crouched down slightly, tensing my legs and flapping my wings a few times. I then shot off, running along the path for about ten meters before I leapt in to the air, flapping my wings and gaining more height. I set my gaze on the mountain in the distance and headed towards it.


Luna jumped awake from the loud crash, and sat up in bed. Alec wasn't back yet, and as it was quite late, she assumed he was staying in Ponyville. Even though he wanted her to stay normal, she wanted to be like this, hoping it would ease his transition to staying. There was a flash of light from behind her curtain, following by a rolling boom. She gathered her blanket around her and walked over, slipping her hand between them. Throwing them open revealed a violent storm, and she hoped the where ever he was, he had decent shelter.

She was about to return to bed when another bolt of lightning lit the scene, and she saw something with wings get hit by it. She went to call for the guards to assist the pegasus that was out there, but another flash showed it still flying, smoking slightly. Once dark again she could make out a shadow, heading towards a balcony just down from hers.

She threw the blanket off and charged out her room, into an adjoining one. There was a shadow in the window frame, and the size of it could only be one person. She flicked on the light to reveal Alec, a hand over a scorched piece of fur on his chest. He opened his eyes and looked at her, before smiling and falling to the floor.

Luna was instantly by his side, peeling the hand away to find cracked black skin, the fur having been burnt away. She could see the pain in his face, and stroked his cheek with her hand. His eyes fluttered open, and he smiled once more. "Hi."

"What were you thinking, flying out there in that?"

"Had to get home as qui..." His face turned to a grimace as the pain flared. "Q-q-quickly as possible. Was m-missing you too much."

"You dolt, trying to kill yourself for me. There are easier ways, you know?" The smirk on her face let him know she was joking, so she pulled him to his feet and sat him on his bed. "I'll be right back." She went back to her room, grabbing a small bag, and locking her door as she left. Re-entering his room, she found him lying on the bed, eyes closed.

She opened the bag and searched around, finally pulling out a tube. She opened it and squeezed some of the contents in to her hands, and then ran them smoothly over the wound. He gasped in pain as it got to work, and then smiled. "What... was that?"

"'tis an old remedy from an age of fighting dragons. Suffice to say it heals burns, and also numbs the affected zone for a while. How long is proportional to the amount applied. You shouldn't feel anything for three days." She climbed up on the bed next to him, pressing against his other side.

His arm came up and held her close, a wing quickly following. Luna let a soft sigh escaped her lips as his hand ran through her mane, slowly lulling her back to sleep. Even the thunder rolling in through the open window wasn't disturbing her as her body relaxed and shut down.


I awoke to a small amount of pain in my arm, and tried to move it, but couldn't. Looking down I saw Luna still asleep against my chest, and on top of my arm of course. Just the content look on her face was enough to make me ignore the pain. I brought my other hand across and moved a few stray strands of her mane away from her face. I tilted my head back against the pillow and got ready to doze off, content to spent the morning listening to Luna's breathing.

And then I found myself looking at the floor for a few seconds before gravity took hold, pulling us down. I managed to flip around and get Luna to my chest, groaning as my back made contact. Luna had awoken as we fell, and looked around the room confused. "Oh, that was priceless! The look on your face when you saw the floor! I can tell life with you in the castle is going to be fun!"

I turned my head to the side, scowling at the moronic git standing at the door way. "Discord, you have five seconds to shut the the door and fuck off, or I am going to get pissed off."

"And what if I don't?"

"I'll tell Celestia." The door slammed shut and he disappeared in a flash of light. I looked back to mare lying as I felt fingers running through the fur on my chest. "Luna... what are you doing?"

"I was just thinking. We've had beds, lots of them, the shower, bath, my vanity... the cloud. But we've not had the floor yet." She slid herself further up my body, her head hanging just above mine. "It is my opinion for us to administer that change."

Author's Note:

Do you know how hard it is to write for Zecora? Seriously, what the fuck were they thinking, making her speak in rhyme?

At least with 'Equestrian' I could just string some letters together. For the 'Eagle', just imagine the Falcon from Reach, but with small jet engines instead of rotors.