• Published 24th May 2013
  • 15,543 Views, 659 Comments

Five years of Ice, A thousand years of Flame - Lucky424



I went under for five years waiting for a cure. Something went wrong.

  • ...
88
 659
 15,543

Chapter 11: CFG - Canterlot Fried Griffon!

The walk to the train station was a slow one, due to my leg not being fully healed yet. It gave me an opportunity to get a better look at the other ponies in the group. Three of them were flitting around, signing bits of paper and having their photos taken. Must've been some celebrities, and I was curious as to how they knew the girls. Speaking of them, they all currently had a gold necklace on, with jewels of their cutie marks. Twilight, however, had a tiara on, with a purple star on top. It had been bugging me for the last few minutes. “Hey, Twilight?”

“Yes?”

“What's with the jewellery?”

“Oh, um... we want to... look nice?” She clearly wasn't telling me the full story, and the less than enthused stare I was given her wasn't working. I had to find out some way, and I was informed about them from the pony following directly behind me.

“My sister and her friends are the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony. Which are, in effect, very powerful weapons. I suggest you stay quiet and keep walking.” I took his advice and kept moving. The whole way seemed to have been cleared for us beforehand, as ponies were keeping to the side of the street. We eventually made it to the station, not even paying for tickets due to 'royal' business. Finding a whole carriage empty, we started to filter in.

Dash went with the three celebrities, Fluttershy, Braeburn, Caramel and Applejack took the furthest compartment, leaving me with Pinkie, Rarity, Twilight, and Armour. Looking in, I saw it only had four seat, which was a bit of a problem. Until..... “Oh... it looks like I will have to sit in another carriage.” I tried to follow her gaze out of the window, just catching sight of a two tone grey tail disappearing, and Rarity turned to look at me. “Behave yourself, would you please darling? I don't want to have to be called back.”

With that, she trotted off down the carriage and into the next one. Twilight just shook her head and sat down, the rest of us following. “So, how long will it take by train?”

“Around four hours, why?”

“I'm going to try and catch up on some lost sleep.” I sank against the cushions and closed my eyes, signalling the end of conversation for the moment.


Thunderlane had just managed to get Rumble to calm down, as the little colt was buzzing from all the sugar he had on his pancakes that morning. Coupled with his natural enthusiasm, plus the thought of see their cousins, he had rushed around the house doing his chores, then spent a few hours insisting they went on an earlier train. Thunderlane finally gave in as his ears couldn't take it any more.

Now Rumble was looking out of the window, waiting for the train to depart. Thunderlane was looking past him when he heard a slight click, turning to see the door to the compartment opening. A long strand of curled purple mane came through, followed by the head of a white unicorn. “I hope I'm not intruding, but I was wondering if....oh, Thunderlane! What a pleasant surprise! Do you mind if I join you and your brother?”

Rumble watched with faint amusement as his brother sat up straighter, suddenly unsure of what to say. A quick nod was given, and Rarity trotted in, turning to close the door. Rumble got a quick peek at her cutie mark, remembering that he had seen it that morning. Thunderlane could see the look on his brothers face, and gave his head a shake in warning, just before Rarity turned back around and sat opposite the stallion.

Unseen to him before, there was a blue rose resting behind one of her ears, it's colour matching her eyes perfectly, also framing her face perfectly. There was only one thought going through his head and, like most stallions, he had a tendency to say it without thinking. “Beautiful...”

“Why yes, it is! Thank you Thunderlane, I found it outside my boutique this morning. It was quite a surprise I tell you!”

“What? I didn't... I... I mean... buck. I just said that out loud, didn't I?” He dropped his gaze to the floor, closing his eyes and waiting for the door to open and shut again. He heard a quick shuffling noise and looked up to see Rumble now sitting where Rarity was, the seat next to him empty. The door hadn't opened, so that left only one possibility. He swallowed once and looked to his left, finding Rarity leaning forward to look out the window. Throwing caution to the wind, he eased his wing out, and gently brushed it against her shoulder. She turned slightly to see what it was, before slowly leaning back, resting against Thunderlane's side. Just her being there gave him the confidence to carry on. “I... wasn't talking about the rose, I was talking about you, Miss Belle.”

“Oh... I was not aware you knew of my last name.” She raised a hoof and turned him to face her, their muzzles dangerously close. “Please, just call me Rarity.” The only sound from the other side of the compartment as they kissed was what you would expect from a young colt.

“Eww!! Thunderlane's going to get cooties!!!”


I was walking down the main street of Ponyville early in the morning, but something wasn't right. There should have been ponies here, opening shops and heading to work. It had taken them long enough to get used to me, you'd think they would be okay when I told them Sarah had turned up. There was the library, our destination so I could introduce her to Twilight. I tired to open the door but found it locked, so I gave a few loud knocks. “Twilight! Hey Twilight, I've got someone I want you to meet!”

A window on the second floor cracked open slightly. “What are you doing with one of them here? Go, get out of here before the guard comes for you!”Before I could reply the window was slammed shut, and I turned around to see a few Royal Guards waiting. And by a few, I mean a few hundred. I grabbed Sarah and we slowly moved away, the ponies following us. Their eyes had a different colour, yellow instead of blue, and I didn't know what that signified. One leapt for us and I batted him away, watching as he dodged my blow and continued for Sarah. I managed to grab his rear hooves and throw him back. This kept happening till we reached the station.

They then attacked as a group, several holding me down whilst the others crept closer to Sarah. A train pulled in to the station, stopping right behind her. Another human stepped out and easily swept the ponies aside. I looked up to see Simon above me smiling, before he turned round. “Look at that, can't even fight hard enough for you. Come on Sarah, let's leave this pathetic excuse of meat for those savages.”

I had heard enough. Grabbing hold of his belt, I pulled myself to his level, arm across his shoulders. I could see the ponies ready to attack again, but had more pressing matters to deal with. The moon started to rise, covering the streets in darkness. The guards all let out piercing screams and vanished in clouds of ash, as if they had just been vaporised, leaving just me, Sarah, and Simon. I leapt at him and pinned him to the ground, my hands around his throat. “I CAN protect her from them... and I WILL protect her from YOU!” I could feel my fingers tightened around his windpipe, crushing it. He tried to punch me in the face, but I just shrugged to blow off.

It did manage to tilt my head up, and I noticed Sarah was no longer stood there. Instead it was a blue alicorn, dark mane floating on a non existing breeze. Her eyes finally came in to focus as she leant forward. “Stop.....please. This is not your friend, you know this. Only bad things can come from this.” I looked down again to see Simon's face had changed. He was still breathing, but he was pale white with blue hair and blue eyes...


I slowly awoke from my dream, feeling something furry in my grip, and a feeble pounding on my arm. I could faintly hear someone straining for breath, and I promptly ignored it, imaging it was a residual sound. But then came the voices... “Twilight, why can't you help?”

“I don't know Pinkie!!! Alec, please wake up!!! Stop doing that, he was only concerned for our safety!! ALEC... YOU'RE GOING TO KILL HIM!!! I snapped my eyes open at the shout, taking the scene in at a glance. Twilight and Pinkie were almost in tears, staring to my side. I followed their gaze and saw my hand around Shining Armour's throat, squeezing tightly. Instantly I let go and backed away as he started to cough, Twilight rushing to his side. “Just breath Shiny, try to calm down.” She lifted her head and looked at me, a... apologetic look on her face. “Was... that another nightmare?”

“How do you know about that?”

“Rarity... told me. Do you want... to talk about it?”

“Twilight, there is something more important than that right now... your brother.” She returned her attention to the stallion to see he was now unconscious. She leant down her ear so that it was level to his chest.

“He's alive... barely.” I looked out the window to see the train slowing down, and the edges of Canterlot just coming in to view. “We'll need to get him to the hospital as soon as possible.”


Rumble hopped down from the carriage, allowing his brother to step down behind him and offer a hoof to Rarity to help her down. Just as she was abut to accept, a shout from behind got her worried, and Thunderlane angry. “MOVE!! CLEAR THE WAY!!”

“You'd best watch what you say, mister! I'll have you know...” His eyes widen as a bipedal creature came out, carrying a pony on his shoulder. Rarity turned her head and then ungracefully jumped out of the carriage. “What... the buck are you?”

“Thunderlane, dear, that is my guest I was telling you about.” He stepped out of the way, letting the thing go by. It started running down the street, and that's when he noticed Rainbow in the air in front of him. “It seems Shining Armour has had an accident. I shall catch up with him later, shall we, my dear?" Together, with Rumble leading the way, they trotted off towards the residential district.


I kept up with Rainbow as best as I could, but after ten minutes of running I lost her. I saw the glint of gold and headed that direction, coming across two guards. I was approaching from behind and made them jump as I dumped Armour on one of their backs. The unencumbered one looked at me confused. “He had... an accident on the train, needs to get to the hospital, but I lost my guide.”

“No worries sir, we will get him there.” With that they trotted off, leaving me alone in the middle of the street. And that's when I realised I didn't know where I was. I had told Twilight to head to the castle, and that I would meet them there. I caught a glimpse of something moving in the shadow of an alley, and it made me curious. Upon entering, I could hear a male voice.

“So the captain is out of commission? This will make our plans easier! You three, you know where to head, I will go and confront our gracious Lord Grimclaw and announce our plans.” There were what sounded like two squawks, and one whimper. “If you want to see your hatchlings again, you will keep your end of the bargain!” I looked up in time to see a feathered creature take off and head for the sky, and three more creeping along the wall in the shadows. Whatever these were, I'm sure the guard could handle them, so I would track these three.

Good thing I had lied to Twilight about my weapons... she didn't know about the six inch, serrated edge, titanium combat knife that I had safely hidden in my boot. It seemed that it might see action soon.


Luna was in her private sanctuary, a place only known to her personal guard and Celestia. There were only two ways to get there, a secret tunnel from the castle, of which those chosen few new, or to fly up or ascend the mountain to reach the small balcony looking down over Canterlot. This is where she used the night sky as her canvas, painting the sky with stars. Unbeknownst to her was the long forgotten escape tunnel, which amounted to nothing more then a stair way carved into the rock eons ago... by her mother and father.

It was only midday, but she couldn't sleep, not till she had spoken to him about his dream. She tried to understand what it was about, why he would attack another of his kind, one that he knew. Deep in her reverie, she didn't notice the claws being gently placed down on the floor. The assassin took out it's crossbow and took aim, right for her heart.

She was still looking over the city when she heard a pained grunt from behind her. “Now that was strange...that sound like a... GRIFFON!!!!” As she turned, the bolt was let loose, but missed it's target and embedded into the wall. The reason the griffon marksbird had missed was because it was being pinned to the floor. With him stood on it's back, squeezing the wings at the joints.

The griffon let out a hiss of pain as the other two shook off their shock, turning to face the new threat. His eyes open and they locked with Luna's, who just smiled at him and nodded. His eyes were yellow. His hand fell to the side and grabbed something in his boot, pulling out a shiny knife. It was plunged into the first griffon's face as the second took a swipe, knocking him off balance. The griffon advanced, expecting him to try and regain his balance. Instead he rolled with it, thrusting the knife into the griffon's chest as it leapt above him. They fell to the floor in a heap and he pushed the body of him, looking to the third one. Luna looked as well and saw that it was a female one, ready with another shot with the crossbow. She opened her beak a few times, before taking a deep breath. “I'm sorry, Princess Luna, but I must ensure my chicks safety.” Before she could take aim, he ran at her and knocked her out the window, slashing at a wing with his knife.

Luna watched as they both went over the balcony, the griffon with an injured wing, and him with no natural way of flight. Even with his enhanced abilities, he could not survive a fall from this height. She leapt after them, but even as her heart pushed her to greater efforts, her mind told her that she would not make it in time.


“I'm sorry to hear that, my friend. Perhaps she just needs time to herself, I am sure she will return soon, with your grandchicks as well.” Celestia lifted her cup and took a sip, smiling to the griffon sat across from her. He and his son had come to Canterlot to discuss troubling matters that they may need outside help with. The older griffon lifted his head and sighed.

“I am sorry to burden you with this, Celestia, but that is not what we are here to discuss. There has been some...disturbing news of late. Rumours of griffons moving in the shadows against me...and some say that there are ponies aiding them. Ponies dressed in the Royal Armour of Equestria.” His gaze hardened at the solar alicorn, and she gently set her cup down and returned the expression.

“Lord Grimclaw... in the many years I have known you, I have only helped. Why would I send ponies to assist in removing you, when I could easily do it myself, and put somepony else on the griffon throne? No, Garrard, I think you have been given false information.” The door to the throne rooms was pushed open, and a massive griffon walked in. It's entire body was almost white feathers, with the exception of his beak, which was jet black.

“Princess Celestia is correct, my lord. There were no ponies, they were young fledglings who had created the outfits for simple fun, nothing more.”

“Are you sure of this, Commander Blackbeak?”

“Yes my lord... for I was the one who had them created. NOW!” Over half the griffon guards in the room suddenly attacked the others, and had sealed the throne room off. After a quick melee, the traitorous griffons had subdued all others inside, blocking off the doors. Blackbeak strode towards Grimclaw, when the young one stood near the Emperor stepped forward, challenging him. “Back down, whelp, or you'll never see your chicks again! Grimclaw! The time of your rule has come to an end! The Blackbeaks will take your place, and usher in a new era for the Griffon Empire! To do so, we must cast out current allies and replace them! Do not look at me Celestia, it was a Grimclaw that killed your sister!!”

Before anything could react, blue smoke appeared in the middle of the room. A dimmed flash went off and Luna stepped from the smoke, smiling at everything in there. “Hello dear sister! Whats wrong, you look like you've seen a ghost!”

The large griffon blocked her advance to the dais. “YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DEAD!!”

Luna looked down at her chest, her back, and her flanks. “Well, I must say I look pretty good for dead, wouldn't you agree? Now, I give you this one chance to stop this madness.”

“NEVER, I WILL RESTORE THE HONOUR OF THE GRIFFON RACE!!”

“Okay then, but don't blame me.” She leant forward and kissed his cheeky, happily skipping around him and sitting next to her sister. “Is something the matter, Celestia?”

“Luna, what are you doing?”

“You'll see... I give him five minutes left alive, if that.” She said, wavering her hoof at Commander Blackbeak.


Rainbow had searched for him for a couple of hours now, but eventually even she gave up. If three fully trained Wonderbolts couldn't find him, then she had no chance. After meeting up with Spitfire, Rapidfire, and her new coltfriend Soarin, they decided that they would head to the castle for lunch, and do some stunt practice. As the crested the castle walls, they noticed to objects falling from the mountains rapidly. To the keen pegasi eyes, one looked like a griffon having trouble flying, and the other... well, even they couldn't tell what it was. Neither looked like they would land safely.

A blue speck soon followed after, but it was clear that it would not catch up in time. She saw the others fly at them, and joined in, easily catching up. Once closer they saw who the other one falling was... and he was still trying to attack the griffon, who was putting up a good fight of it's own. It's head reared back and shot forward, it's sharp beak slicing across his chest. He tumbled away, recovering enough to spread his limbs wide, slowing his descent. “DASH, SOARIN, YOU ARE GETTING THAT... WHATEVER HE IS! RAPIDFIRE, WITH ME ON THE GRIFFON! GO!”

They split into two separate trails, Rainbow and Soarin increasing their angles of ascent, easily catching up to him. He looked at them and she saw his eyes were yellow..which meant he might try to eat her or something. “HEY!! ARE YOU WITH US??” He looked around a couple of times, then to the ground, before locking eyes with her.

“HOW ABOUT WE TALK ABOUT THIS ON THE FUCKING GROUND? STOP ME DYING ALREADY WOULD YA!” Soarin shot underneath him and slowed him down, allowing Dash to come along side and take some of the weight. They gently glided down to the gardens, where they saw Spitfire and Rapidfire standing over the griffon. “Mmm, time for some overgrown chicken! I haven't had any meat for a while!”

“STOP!” He halted his advances and turned to face Rainbow, who was staring intently at the griffon. She trotted over and raised the maimed wing from it's face. “G... Gilda?” The griffons head snapped up, locking gazes before shooting out her claws and hugging Dash, crying her eyes out.

“I'm sorry Dash! I didn't have a choice... they have my chicks!” Rainbow saw him approaching from behind, knife in hand. She shook her head at him, and he reluctantly backed away. Luna finally touched down and stood over them. “Please... princess, you can punish me anyway you see fit... but please don't punish my family!”

“Do not despair, Gilda Grimclaw, for we are your allies, and we will help you. Now, what do you know?”

“It's Commander Blackbeak, he's trying to overthrow Garrad... I mean father... they snatched my chicks away and forced me to do this to ensure their safety. Please, if there is anything you can do to help...” Luna looked away, before seeing him leaning against a tree, hand over his chest.

“Alec, could you assist me please?”

“Sorry, not right now.”

“And why not?”

“Bleeding hasn't stopped... powers ran out.”

“I see.” She closed her eyes in concentration, attempting to figure out a plan. “Aha! I have it! Dash, could you and your friends escort Gilda to the infirmary? Her wounds need taking care off.” Rainbow nodded and the pegasi carefully lifted the griffon up, spreading the weight out across their backs. Luna waited until the castle doors closed, before summoning a tankard and filling it with magic. “And now the second part of my plan. It seems that the more you get used to this, the more control you have over it. Twilight told me that you did not... embrace her the way you did me when you drank her magic. I do wish to know why, but that can wait. For now, drink this, and you can do anything you want to me.”

The cup was floated over to him and he plucked it out of the air. “What are you talking about?”

“Just drink.” He shrugged, and downed the mug, clutching his chest in pain as the wound slowly closed over. Once it was finished, he looked like he did when he arrived..but this time Luna was ready for him. As he leapt for her, she took off, flying out of range of his jumps. “You can have me once you make sure Celestia is safe. Before you engage any griffons, ensure that they are not Grimclaws. Do you understand?”

He stood up straight and saluted, keeping it there till Luna disappeared in a puff of smoke. He turned to the closed doors and growled once, then charged at them.


I ran down the corridors of Canterlot Castle, following Luna's scent. I still wasn't sure what she was on about, but at least I had regained control. Smashing through yet another blocked door, I grabbed the griffon by the tail, noticing it's black beak and slamming it hard enough into the wall that it's head stayed embedded in the concrete. I was about to carry one when a voice from behind a closed door stopped me. “See, I told you the rumours were true! Another princess in Equestria. Looks like we'll have to take care of this one too!”

“Stay back! I don't want to hurt you, but I will if I have to!” Twilight? But... I have to save Celestia! She can take care of herself right? I heard crashing from inside followed by a scream. Fuck it, Twilight first! I knocked on the door and waited for it to open, hiding in the shadows of an alcove. A griffon poked it's head out and looked round.

“Must have been an all clear signal. Come on, we have to show Commander Blackbeak that we have another one. He'll want her alive as well!” You dumb fucks... you really are overgrown chickens. I tapped on the wall behind me, and the griffon returned with another, Twilight unconscious on it's back with her wings and fore hooves tied behind her back. The lead griffon stuck his head in to the shadows. “Who's in there?”

“Knock knock motherfucker!” It didn't have time to scream as I plunged the knife into its eye, and it fell to the floor twitching. The other one dropped Twilight and tried to flee... but this knife was perfect for throwing. Unfortunately I missed, allowing him to escape. I retrieved the knife, cutting her free and gently shaking her awake. Her eyes slowly opened and she looked at me in fear. “Hide, I'll find you when it's over, I promise.” She looked down to the dead griffon and almost puked, before nodding and disappearing in a flash. I saw griffons and ponies fighting other griffons further along, near the entrance to the throne room, where Luna's scent went. I sucked in a deep breath...


All had gone quite in the throne room, and the fighting outside could be heard perfectly. An roar, loud and almost feral, shook the very thrones Celestia and Luna were sitting on. Then came a booming shout. “ALL PONIES AND GRIMCLAWS WITHDRAW! I WILL DEAL WITH THEM!” They heard the sound of hooves and claws retreating, and for a moment silence. Then came the sounds of fighting once more, but it steadily got quieter. They heard another voice.

“Stop! You may have beaten them, but I am the elite you will never get passoooofff.” The throne room door splinted in the middle, a bloody Blackbeak's head poking through. It was pulled backwards and a smiling face replaced it.

“Hello Luna, I've been looking for you!” The door was thrust open, and he walked in, carrying a griffon's severed head. “Which way to the kitchen? I'm hungry!” The remaining Blackbeaks dropped their weapons, lying close the the floor. Commander Blackbeak grabbed a spear and screamed.

“You are all afraid of that? I will show you how a true warrior fights!” He charged forward, but was stopped by a spear hitting him in the chest. A female Blackbeak strode forward, standing over the downed griffon. “B-b-b-bella!! Why would you do this?”

“Because you are not what we need for a proper Griffon Empire!” She pulled out a knife and plunged it into his chest, turning as she pulled it out. “Goodbye, father. Prince Grimclaw, your chicks are safe. I saw to that myself before I came here. I place myself into your custody.” She knelt low to the floor, but before anypony could respond, they all turned the the filly like giggling coming from the dias.

“Stop... that tickles... Please, I can't take much more.” Luna was leaning backwards against him, whilst he happily nibbled on one of her ears again, running his hands through her extended wings. Luna's cheeks turned pink when she opened her eyes and saw she had an audience...

Author's Note:

But none of you were expecting that, right?

And I know, I didn't get to the Pinkie ship! Next chapter I promise! It will be a couple of days, as I've got an inspection due. Gives you plenty of time to speculate on who she's getting with. And yes, he lives in Canterlot.