• Published 31st May 2014
  • 9,107 Views, 303 Comments

Acceptance - Riddle-Me-Think



Ponyville is seen as a quaint little town by those who live there, and for Twilight Sparkle, it has all she needs with her friends by her side. When a stranger that she is familiar with comes into town, she finds herself questioning as to what to do

  • ...
24
 303
 9,107

To Feel

I do not own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic


Rarity carefully closed the door behind her, giving a sigh at having something separating her and the changeling heir.

“You don’t really think a wooden door would stop him, do you?” Roma watch the mare jump at her voice and watched her pat her chest a few times to keep calm.

Calming her breaths she told, “No, but it helps put my nerves at ease if I can't see him.” Starting to make her way down the steps and into the lowly lit shadows.

The tomato seller nodded next to the Unicorn agreeing, “I know what you mean, the last time I saw an heir that angry was during the fall of my clan.” It was a memory she didn’t like to remember, but it was also one she didn’t wish to forget.

Looking to the Earth mare, Rarity asked, “Why is Masquerade acting so…foul.” Seeing Roma raised brow she corrected some, “Don’t get me wrong, I‘m worried for Twilights safety just like the others, but what is warranting such aggression from him?”

Understanding what Rarity was trying to convey, Roma asked, “Have you been told about changelings territorial instincts?”

“I‘m afraid you might to be more clear about that?” Rarity responded.

Thinking for a moment Roma asked, “Have you made any contact with any changelings, like how Masquerade decided to expose me as one?”

“Yes, Toe-Tapper.” The white mare nodded, “The stallion seemed a little unsure after Masquerade revealed himself, but besides that they got along swimmingly.”

Seeing the mare next to her didn’t have much knowledge on what she was getting to, Roma explained, “Changelings are territorial to an extent.” Reaching the bottom of the sitars she tapped the ground saying, “This house he‘s been living in, Masquerade considers his territory, his dwelling.”

“But isn’t this Twilights home?” Rarity quickly asked, not sure how somepony could say somepony else’s home was theirs.

“You need to look at this in a more simpler term.” Roma rolled her eyes, looking about the lab that was set up, “Twilight just lives here, and she isn’t a threat, so he thinks she part of that territory he has claimed.”

Spotting a common that was laying on the ground still, she made her way over and gave a light nudged. She gave the steel tipped wires a glance over, getting a good idea what the heir did, “It‘s much like how a cat or dog lives in a pony’s home. They may not own the house, or the pony, but to the pet, they belong to them.”

Making her own way to the common changeling, Rarity gave a grimace and said, “That looks rather unpleasant.” Able to see the two scorch marks on the changelings sides, even with the darkness.

Roma could only agree, “Infiltrators never play fair.” Giving the green resin holding him down a look over, coming to the conclusion it was only temporary.

“Anyways, that’s what‘s happed here.” She said finally, changing into her own changing form to get to work on making a more permanent prison, “Because his territory was invaded and Twilight taken away, he has gone into a aggressive state of mind until the danger passes.”

Watching the changeling get to work, Rarity had to ask, “But hasn‘t the danger passed, why is he still in such a mood?” Over the month she had known him, Masquerade never showed to lose his temper. True enough he has showed to be nervous or slightly annoyed at certain things, but never yell like that.

“Heirs are more temperamental at times.” Roma admitted slowly, using her own memory of the heir of her clan during its fall, “They can take attacks like this personal.”

With the conversation coming to a close, both Rarity and Roma could hear a groan come form the changeling that was being bound. As soon as it was heard, a hoof came down and slammed his head into the hard floor, knocking him out again.

Rarity gave a look to Roma as to why she had just did that, who responded, “What?”

With a questioning look the unicorn asked, “Was that really necessary, he seemed bound enough not to cause trouble.”

Scratching her head she said, “His horn was still exposed, so he can use magic.” Pointing to the jagged point protruding from the changelings head, “Also, I felt like hitting something after being brought her for battle.” And clinked the metal rings all over her body.

“I must admit, I am curious to know why you brought those. Certainly not a good fashion statement.” Rarity sniffed looking at each metal ring that didn’t even look polished. They were all over the mare, some over hear neck, plenty on her forelegs, also had a few on her head.

Going back to her work she told, “Their called chakrams.” Making a rather large glob of resin to wrap around the horn to hopefully add more resistance and cancel out any magic better, “Their both a ranged and melee weapon. Good for scaring the dickens out of enemies too.”

“How so?” Rarity asked, getting an answer in the form of a metal ring the size of a bracelet go by her head and stick into a wooden table nearby.

With a smirk Roma asked, “To answer your question fully, think of having those come at you every other second.” The shocked and horror filled face Rarity held seemed to tell Roma that the mare got the point of her ring knives.


Toe-Tapper watched with trepidation at Masquerades still form just sitting over the lavender mare that was asleep. He had only met the stallion formally just hours ago, and he seemed like a rather pleasant changeling heir, if not a little mischievous with his comments. But this seemed the polar opposite of how he acted before.

Cold, calculating, analytic. It made the last Ditty changeling shiver when he could not get a read on the heirs emotions in the slightest. It was like trying to feel emotions from a rock in a desert, they just weren’t there.

His ear twitched as the three flower mares came out with Rose leading and balancing a tray holding a tea pot and one tea glass. Behind her was Daisy, fiddling with her odd looking crossbow with one hoof, and walking with the rest. Lily was the last out, carrying some potato bags that the heir had mentioned.

He wondered where Pinkie Pie was, seeing she was the one who went for them. It was possible she decided to start doing something Pinkie related in the kitchen, but he didn’t have the courage to find out. Last time he did so, she was doing something rather strange with the cupcakes.

Daisy seemed to have found a suitable spot and stood back on her hind legs, readying her weapon, but not aiming it. Lily stood by, fidgeting in her spot. Rose was the last to move, going towards Masquerade with a small tremble in her step.

The second heirs wings gave a slight buzz, halting the mare for a moment before she moved again. When she was halfway close, those wings began to buzz again, making a deep noise to ripple through the air and give a foreboding feeling. Rose came to a complete halt, not daring to make a move.

Slowly the taller changeling turned his head around to face her, using his eyes to seemingly pick her apart piece by piece before stopping his wings and turn back to Twilight.

Rose advanced again, walking into touching range before the tray was taken up in a green aura and lifted off her as his voice buzzed, “Thank you. You may leave now.”

Seeing that as a good idea, Rose backed away with some haste, returning to the comforting feeling of having her friends nearby. Daisy let out a breath as she returned to her normal standing position, taking a few extra breaths at the tension she was feeling.

The lanky stallion could understand their fear of the situation. With Masquerade in such a defensive mood with Twilight, it could be seen as a risk to anypony to get close to him. As of this moment, he was looking over the tea with a critical eye, as if it was possibly poisoned when he had no reason to think it was.

When he was done with his inspection, he placed tea and tray down next to himself and went back to observing Twilight as if looking away might cause her to disappear.

“I‘m not sure if I should find this creepy or sweet, that he‘s standing guard over her while she sleeps.” Lily Commented quietly to the others, keeping her own eyes locked onto the changeling that didn’t seem to move an inch.

Moving over to the bags now on the ground, Toe-Tapper picked one up and took it towards the contained changeling in the upstairs room for later transport. To where, he wasn’t sure, but he was sure that he would find out later. This bag just gave an excuse to get out of the room the heir was in, and not risk his ire.

For Masquerade himself, the four behind him didn’t matter to him at the moment. No ill feelings could be felt from them, but he couldn’t be too careful at this time, right? After all, this is what I was concerned would happen. He concluded to himself, looking down at Twilight’s sleeping form.

The tea didn’t appear to have any poison, than again, why would it. Twilight was a pony, not a changeling, so no reason to poison it.

Unless those other changelings did something to make it poisoned, the idea was shaky at best, but he didn’t feel like taking any chances right now.

With a smooth and controlled breath, Masquerade reached out with his changeling senses to feel the emotions in the mares being, unable to suppress the shiver he felt. She felt so empty to how she normally felt, so desolate and uncaring. She still had her emotions, he could feel their spark and fire, but it was tame to what it should have been.

He was not kidding to Twilight when he said a pony became a shell of their former selves when drained of emotions. No changeling knows the reason behind it, but the emotions a pony had seemed connected to who they were.

In a sense, some changelings believed they didn’t take the emotions, but the energy given off by the soul itself. There was no proof to this, but when a pony lost all emotion, they just seemed like husks with no life in them. In truth, this was how the stories of zomponies arose, living dead that had no concept of love or hate.

Another blemish on what my race can do to others. Was the passing thought that made his wings buzz in anger and eye light up in rage. Those these cases are rare, and don’t happen often, they do happen. He was one of the few who tracked those irresponsible enough and eliminated them from the equation.

This was the reason he was so angry, for not being here and protecting the one who has helped him so much. The same pony who actually helped him even as a colt. The same one that is now weak and helpless to other threats that I could have prepared her for! He so wanted to kill those changelings, rend them and bisect them over and over so they would never be a threat to her.

But I can't, the heir reminded himself, I need to know who they are, who they work for and why they are here. The last thing he wanted to do was make an incident with another clan and face their wrath on losing their own. He was good, but there was only one of him and an unknown number of them.

With a gentleness he rarely like to show, Masquerade brushed Twilights mane slightly with much care. He didn’t care the others were looking, and further didn’t if they knew how much he loved her. Right now, she needed both his and their help to get better. And hovering over her like some overprotective attack dog might make things worse.

No, he needed to get some distance, some time to himself and settle his mind before he snaps again. His Twinkles needed him to be in top condition with no distractions if he was going to help her properly. That meant he needed to get his mind off any resentment he holds of those three changelings.

The library door chose that time to be slammed open by one huffing Applejack that was followed in by Ivory and Ebony that had two fans hidden under their wings.

Masquerade turned at the sudden sound, already having his magic lit and ready for battle and placing himself between the possible threat and the downed mare. Buzzing his wings and baring his fangs, the Infiltrator hissed angrily to make sure he was deterring what was seen as a possible attack.

“Masquerade, it‘s alright, it‘s just Applejack!” Daisy called out, putting herself between the angered heir and the apple mare, readying her own weapon once again.

Both sides stayed in their place, ready to move at the first sign of being provoked.

Behind Applejack, Ivory calmly closed the door while Ebony walked on ahead, passing by both Applejack and Daisy and her friends without a care in the world. All four mares wanted to stop her, but the greater buzzing and hissing made them think twice at trying.

With somewhat annoyed eyes, Ebony said with a firm tone, “Cousin Masquerade, cease this faolish behavior at once, it is not helping.” The buzzing and hissing went down some, but not away until Ivory came up adding, “We are here to help cousin of ours, but we can not do so with you acting like a rabid dog.”

Stopping all his actions, the stallion realized that he was acting like a dog would, barking and growling in his own way. With a few calming breaths to regain himself Masquerade all but ordered, “You two tend to her.”

Any protest the twins might have had died at his frustrated and burning eyes. Wisely, they didn’t say anything to provoke the unpredictable infiltrator and scuttled past him to the mare that laid asleep, happy that he was at least back to thinking again.

Applejack felt taken back at the sudden subdued nature the twins showed after their earlier show, but when the heirs eyes landed on her, she understood why. They seemed to hold nothing but enraged fury that made her almost want to back away.

“When the changelings are brought up, make sure their put in the potato sacks for later transport.” He said, walking passed Applejack and the flower ponies like they wasn’t there, “I don’t care where they are put, so long as they are detained and not found.”

Taking a gulp to steel herself, Applejack asked, “An‘ where ya‘ll headin‘?” Turning around in time to see him veil himself in fire and be in his pony form.

“To clear my mind of these irritating emotional reactions before I rend somepony ten fold!” He snarled towards them all, making his eyes gain their cat like appearance to the point it made the mare’s jump away.

He let out another snort at his lack of control and nearly ripped the door off with his magic, leaving out it with a slam.


Consciousness came in and out for Twilight from where she laid, hearing things going on before silence overcame her once more and place her into a dreamless sleep. Whenever she reached this place, she could not help but feel numb.

It was a strange feeling to have on your own feelings in some sense. In here, she felt alone, scared and confused. But it all seemed to distant, like a muted sound that one could only just hear. There, but unable to make it out.

There was somepony beside her, she knew there was, but who was beyond her. The darkness would not recede away, and the sounds of the world outside her mind faded in and out at seemingly random intervals.

“Ah think she‘s awaken, Twi, ya alrigh‘?” Applejack, she knew that voice to be her friends voice. Friend. The word seemed to not have much meaning to her for some reason, not like it should.

Two other voices soon came up, taking her attention away from those thoughts, “Applejack of Apple Clan, we do not think it wise to wake Twilight yet, she needs rest.” It seemed so…strange those twins spoke in unison. How was it possible at times, to be so synchronized with the other?

With some effort, Twilight forced her eyes open, watching as the world came back into view of yellows, browns, blues, greens and so many other color spectrums. This gave way to each part of the place she called home, filled with wood and paper along every floor and wall.

She gave a few blinks before looking around slowly, finding Applejack and both Gem sisters sitting nearby as the former looked at her in concern. “Hey Twiligh‘, how ya feelin‘?” The orange mare asked softly.

The question made the unicorn pause in thought as to how to answer. How do I feel? The question confused her mind. She could say fine, but that’s not how she felt was it?

“I…” She tried to say, only finding herself unsure what to say next. After a few moments she went with, “I don’t know.” Summing up how she was feeling, or lacked at the moment.

Feeling a tap to her side, she looked to Ivory who was holding up a cup of tea saying, “That is to be expected. Daisy had filled us in on what happened.” Taking up the offered tea, she could hear Ebony continue where her sister left off with, “You are suffering from emotional withdraw. It will be some time before your strength returns and your body can rebalance itself.”

“What‘s that mean ‘xactly?” Applejack asked confused at all the words the two used.

“It means, Applejack, that Twilight will be weak and tiered until her body can produce the energy needed for her to move again.” The two said at once, waiting for the librarian to finish her tea saying, “We urge you to return to sleep after this drink, it will bring you back to health more quickly.”

With a somewhat absent nod, Twilight downed the rest of her tea and laid her head down once more. Once again, she felt the numb feeling overcome her body, and soon enough she was inside the endless void that was her mind.

Ebony and Ivory gave sad sighs as the Unicorn went to sleep again, noting that who ever the changeling was to drain her, did so irresponsibly. With the knowledge they had about their cousins love for this mare, and how low her emotions were, they understood why he was so protective.

It would take time, but Twilight would recover form this. A week at the most, to refill her body with the proper amount of feelings she needed to live and not be some walking husk.

Then again, even one whole day of draining would not make her fully a husk-like-zompony, but a full day of it might make her lose something. Like the ability to love, hate, or feel sad. Masquerade was possibly terrified of the idea with Twilight not just having no emotions in her, but losing something that made her who she was.

The very idea scared them too. They liked Twilight the way she was, they didn’t want her to change.

“Is she gonna be alrigh‘?” Applejack’s voice bought them out of their shared thoughts and look to the concerned mare.

With reassuring smiles they said, “She will be in time. It was good she was found so soon, otherwise side effects may have occurred.” Feeling the farmers alarmed feelings they assured, “We assure you, Twilight Sparkle will be back to normal within the week!” Making sure to pat the mare to assure her more.

Letting out a breath she nodded, “I trust ya. The both of ya.” Looking over to Twilight sleeping soundly she told, “I just wish ah got here sooner.”

Ivory went to the tea and picked it up, setting it on a table and going to the kitchen to retrieve something to keep it warm while Ebony agreed, “We all do Applejack, but none of use had no way of knowing ahead of time.”

She was right, Applejack knew. There wasn’t any way for them to have known some changelings of the more unfriendly sort would come and do this. She was glad Twilight was safe, and happy that the ones responsible were being hauled off by the flower ponies and the two other changelings in pony form.

Part of her wondered when her life, as well as her friends lives, had gotten even more complicated then before.

Probly started with ‘em Elements, an’ Nightmare Moon. Thinking with that line of thought, she nodded in her head that yes, that was when things got complicated in their lives.


A flash of green light lit the surrounding rocky area before a small crack was heard. Another seemed to follow the last as a few pebbles went rolling about. A third joined in and sent a new shower of rocky bits raining down before it stopped.

Masquerade stood with some form of focus as he stared down his improvised shooting range of rock targets on their rock stands and yards measured by rock lines. He also had a pile of rocks to replace the ones he destroyed, and even more to toss at said targeted rocks. Rocks were good for that.

They were also good for crushing stuff. Or building little towers, that can be knocked down with thrown rocks. Or grinding against others into dust. Or possibly using them to cause serous head injury. Rocks are very versatile things for just being a heavy lump. The black unicorn noted.

Using his magic to stack another group of rocks together, he didn’t notice how it resemble a changeling like shape. Not like he cared, in fact, it made his aim a bit better.

This was proven when he charged his horn with another light magic beam and sent it right at the targets ‘head’ and decapitating it. He didn’t really feel satisfied enough and decided to start launching his ‘rock ammo’ at the rest of the body, decimating that too.
But in the end it was pointless. Unchallenging. Unfulfilling.

Nothing that I want to make me feel better. He grumbled, tossing a small green fire to gnaw away at one of the rocks before it died out from lack of emotions.

At times like these, he would go to his Mother and ask her for wisdom and guidance into matters of the mind. He may have been smart, but Masquerade knew he sometimes lets his own instincts get the better of him. It was a weakness as much as a strength.

It made him an effective Infiltrator, as he followed these instincts to their fullest and hearing their guidance at how to track his prey. How to properly entice them into traps. Whispering to him when a possible threat was close. Telling him how to fight savagely and hit the weaknesses in his enemies.

All the same, it could lead him to trouble. He was a predator and a parasite, hunting and leaching at both times, not giving him good insight as to how to act around others.

He let these thoughts run on their own, watching absently as the green changeling fire he had made slowly die away from lack off fuel. Usually, if he didn’t look for Mother, then she would chose this time to walk up and say something profound and wise to put his mind at ease.

But she wasn’t here.

But somepony else is, he noticed, turning around to try and track who he thought he felt. He didn’t see anypony, but the feeling was still their just…How did…

Turning around again, but with utter confusion, he was greeted with a stack of rocks in a pony shape. With a blank stare he said, “If you were a normal pony, I would ask how you do those things you do.” Taking a moment to think he decidedly said, “However, your beyond the reasoning of logic, so I will not question it, else I will put whatever sanity I have left at risk.”

That seemed to be the tipping point as the rock pony feel apart to show a laughing Pinkie Pie. Letting the pink enigma laugh away, Masquerade just sat and waited for her to finish. He was not in a good mood still, but he would be at the very least courteous to her. After all, turning rocks to dust did relive some stress and frustration, and her hyper emotions weren't overloading him for once.

Must have gained an immunity to it, was the absent thought.

After she was done, she got up and looked around the destruction he had brought upon the rocks in the area and asked, “Why are you attacking poor innocent rocks?”

With a dull look, yet with a still sharp mind he replied, “They challenged me to a one vs. one-thousand fight.” Taking a look around he told, “It’s strange, no matter how many I blast to pieces, they just keep multiplying, even if their a bit smaller.” This got the response he wanted, getting more laughter from the mare.

Her amassment was nice to snack on, it was making him feel better at least. Not greatly so, but enough he knew he wouldn’t snap at her. Maybe.

“Not to be rude, but is there a reason for your visit here?” From what he knew, she would rather be with Twilight and hanging around the mare until she woke up. That was what he wished to do, but he needed to calm down before anything else.

With a bright smile she said, “Well, Applejack‘s with Ivory and Ebony taking care of Twilight, Rarity is cleaning up the basement of that icky green stuff used to hold those meanies you stuck down, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy haven’t gotten there yet, Rose, Lily, Daisy, Toe-Tapper and Roma all ran off to put the those changelings someplace else…” Taking a large gasp of air to fill her lugs, she calmly finished, “And I‘m here to cheer you up with cupcakes!” And pulled out a tray of said treats from…someplace.

Masquerade blinked.

He then blinked again to be sure his eyes were working.

The unicorn blinked a third time to be sure that yes, those were indeed cupcakes, and yes, they did just come out of nowhere. He again wished to question what was up with this impossibility of a pony, but knew not to ask.

Suspicions of the reality beings powers and ignorance of certain physics aside, the stallion appreciated the gesture. Even if he didn’t show it, he was smiling on the inside some, “Thank you, but your concern isn’t needed here.” Seeing her deflate some he told, “You should go back to Twilight, she needs you more than I do.”

Getting up and turning around to find something else to occupy his mind and get in a better mood, he found himself nose to nose with the same mare who said, “But I made these just for you!” Backing up and showing her assorted goods, “See, this ones apple with buttermilk frosting, and this ones lemon with vanilla frosting, this ones vanilla with orange frosting-”

Putting a hoof up to tell her to stop, he said, “I understand, and I‘m grateful, really.” Giving out a sigh while thinking of the right words, “Listen, I know your trying to cheer me up, but Twilight needs you more than I do.”

Using the same hoof, he placed it on her shoulder saying, “When she wakes up, she will be tiered and maybe unable to feel anything for a while.” With a ghost of a smile he asked, “But, I have a feeling I know of a little cure to help get her up and moving again.” Seeing he had her full attention he asked, “What do you ponies say is the best medicine?”

With a sudden jolt of energy that poofed her mane back up she exclaimed, “Laughter!”

With a nod he patted her shoulder saying, “Yep, so why don’t you go on back and make sure she gets her daily dose of laughter?”

Seeing her nod, she placed the cupcakes before him telling him, “And while I‘m doing that, you can have your daily dose of cupcakes!” And quickly bounding off with a number of jumps and leaps like she was made of rubber.

He also rose a brow when she started hooting uncontrollably as she bounced around, but thought nothing of it.

Looking down at the treats he let out a amused sigh and shook his head thinking, Mares, what’s a guy to do about them?