• Published 31st May 2014
  • 9,107 Views, 303 Comments

Acceptance - Riddle-Me-Think



Ponyville is seen as a quaint little town by those who live there, and for Twilight Sparkle, it has all she needs with her friends by her side. When a stranger that she is familiar with comes into town, she finds herself questioning as to what to do

  • ...
24
 303
 9,107

Shadowing

I do not own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic


Twilight walked out the door to her library and inhaled a deep breath of morning air while taking in the suns rays. With a smile, she made her way towards the market district that would be opening soon.

While she walked, she listened to the birds chirp and enjoy the slight chill of the breeze. She let these little things relax her body after everything that has gone on for the last few days, if not week. Not three weeks in, and already her life has taken a new spin as to how it works.

“Twilight!” Called a voice to her left, causing her to stop and look. On a bench not to far from her, sat three mares also enjoying the mornings rise, with one of them being a cram coated earth mare with a mane that had colors of a rose.

As she waved for the unicorn to come over, Twilight look through her mind and pulled up the name Rose Luck. To her left was another earth mare, only with a pink coat and lime mane. Daisy was what she was able to remember. To their right was another mare that was still earthen, and had a slightly redder shade of pink for her coat, with a blond mane and a lily tucked behind her left ear. Her name was Lily Valley.

These three mares were rarely, if not, seen together doing a number of things. These range from talking and passing new gossip around, or working on the surrounding flora in Ponyville to be strong and healthy.

When she was close enough, she greeted, “Good morning Rose.” Then looked to Lilly, “Morning Lily.” Then Daisy lastly with a slightly lingering glance, “Daisy.”

With a smile Rose said, “Good morning to you too bookworm, last we checked, you didn’t get out of bed until a few hours later.” The good natured smile and jab made the unicorn flush a bit and laugh with them some.

“I thought about getting an early start on some projects I would be working on, so I thought to take a quick look around for anything I might need.” Motioning towards were the market distract was.

With a nod Lilly said, “Sound like you have something big planed.” Twilight gave a nod while Daisy spoke up, “Twilight, I just remembered, do you happen to have those books in yet?”

Giving a Daisy a quizzed look she responded, “I‘m not sure, when I get back I‘ll take a look and see if anything’s been delivered recently.” Daisy gave a smile and a nod while Twilight said a quick good bye and left for the market, deciding to take a short cut through some buildings.

“’xcuse me miss!” A colts voice yelped, bolting out of the same place Twilight had been, and muttering in a Trottingham accent, “I‘m late, I‘m late, I‘m bloody late!”

The scruffy white and brown patched colt ran quickly through the clear roads, quickly avoiding any ponies that happened to be in the way. Quickly looking around, he darted past another pony and between two buildings, yelling, “Sarry!” As a loud crash was heard.

Ponies walked over to where the crash had come from, and watched as a earth stallion walked out with clumps of rubbish all over him. Shaking his stormy grey mane of some of it and brushing his grey coat of some more, a pony nearby said, “I thought your were suppose to be Lucky from accidents Clover.”

Looking up at the pegasus stallion, Thunderlane, he gave a dry “Hardy-har-har Thunderlane. Playing my name out like that.” Lucky Clover retorted and continued to brush at his coat.

The stallion still laughed at his pals misfortune, but took pity on the guy and flew up to get a cloud saying, “You know, maybe you are lucky.” Seeing his bud giving him a look he told, “Cuz I‘m here, and I can get you cleaned off, lickaty-split!”

With a faint smile he said, “That sounds good with me, but--” What ever he was going to say was cut off by a sudden downpour from the now dark stormy cloud Thunderlane had gotten down, and was using to give a quick shower. With a cocky smirk, he looked over the edge to find his good buddy giving him the stink eye muttering, “If we were not friends, I‘d have Rainbow Dash fire you from the weather team.”

“Dude, harsh.” The headstrong stallion laughed, flying off the cloud and giving a few strong flaps towards Lucky to help dry him off. Landing in front of him, he asked, “How about we head over to that one place that serves those hay burgers you love so much?”

“You mean the places that’s called Hay Burger, and doesn’t open for another two hours?” The earth bound stallion asked with a quirked brow.

Seeing Thunderlane just hover there, he responded with a grin, “Yea, that place.” Crossing his hooves.

With a shake of his head, Lucky gave a small chuckle, “Whatever man, listen, I need to get to work so…”

“Oh, sure, go on, don’t let my greatness stop you.” Thunderlane motioned with his forelimbs for his friend to get going. Said friend shook his head saying, “Is it me, or are you trying to make yourself more like Rainbow Dash?”

“Don’t insult me, she maybe my boss, but that doesn’t mean I take after her.” He said with mock hurt before smirking, “Now get lost, you have work to get to, right?”

Both stallions didn’t hold back there laughs as they parted ways, one to the remaining cloud cover in the sky, and the other towards a restaurant for a quick bite.

After a few minutes, a blue earth mare came out with a bag of goods and a pleased smile on her lips as she made her way trough town. By now, more of the town had woken up and would greet Bottlecap. In turn, she would muffle out a hello or good morning from her otherwise, occupied mouth.

Keeping her sapphire eyes out for a nice place to sit for the morning, she gave a triumphant hum at the bench near the stream that ran though Ponyville. Setting down her bag of foods and getting comfortable, she opened it and got ready to bite into the fritter before being halted by a voice.

“Morning Battlecap!” Truning her eyes up, she spotted two ponies. The first was a unicorn stallion with a easy look in the eyes, blue coat and a slightly tinted blue, grey mane. His sky blue eyes danced with mischief glee while he eyed Battlecap’s meal, “Got anymore for your dearest friend?”

A slightly younger unicorn mare next to him gave a somewhat forceful elbow, “Don’t you ever stop eating Bright Bulb?” Somewhat glaring at the older pony with her pink eyes.

With a over exaggerated roll of his eyes he whined, “But sis, you know I need food just as much as you need gems!”

The smaller unicorn mare shook her head and causing her unkempt amethyst mane to wave about. Poking him with a yellow limb she said, “You can go for three hours without food, so deal with it big brother.”

Turning away from what Banana Fluff would call her idiot brother, she greeted, “Morning Bottlecap, how are you?”

Despite the siblings actions, Battlecap gave a bright smile saying, “Wonderful, the days been great to me so far, and I think it‘ll only get better.” Taking that moment to take a bite out of her fritter, she hummed in satisfaction saying with a full mouth, “Yep, just got better!”

Slowly, a light blue aura began to surround the bag and lift it away, only for the owner to swat it back down and glare at Bright Bulb saying with false anger, “Hey buster, these are mine, get your own!”

Playing along with her, Bright gave a slight whimper and pathetically said, “But I‘m hungry!”

This earned him a light whack from his younger sister who said, “How can you still be hungry, you ate five plates of food, and then some!” It was a wonder how much food he went through each and every day without getting any fatter. Fast metabolism she guessed.

“I‘m a growing colt that needs his food.” He said with a justified nod.

With a groan, the younger of the two walked away saying, “What ever you say Bright, I‘m going to find Amethyst Star.” As she left, her brother turned and waved to her calling, “Have fun making sparkly-string-thingies with your friend!”

“There called necklaces!” She yelled back, then continued to grumble about her idiot brother and how it was ironic that bright was in his name.

The older brother just snickered to himself while Bottlecap giggled along with, finding it somewhat funny to watch. She would not get tiered of the duo’s act that was done on a daily bases. It can be funny how siblings act with one another at times.

“Bright, do you have to annoy your sister like that?” Bottlecap asked despite her own laughter.

Turning to her, the stallion told, “Bottlecap, you should know.” With some air of elderly wisdom he said, “It is the older siblings job to annoy their younger siblings.”

Opening one eye to see the mare giving him a blank look he said, “What?”

“I think you should be nicer to your sister.” She said simply and going back to her fritter that was almost gone now. It was a good thing she had gotten more then one fritter to go.

Bright Bulb pouted to himself while muttering, “But that would take all the fun away.” Thinking how he could also make it up to his sister later. After all, she can't stay angry at dear old brother for long. She loved him too much to stay angry for long. Just mildly annoyed.

Taking out the second fritter and taking a bite out of that, she asked with another full mouth, “Could you at least lay off it a bit?” Not caring if any of the chewed up food was falling out.

He thought for a moment and said, “Eh, I could at least lay off for a day. After all, her birthdays coming up, and Pinkie Pie‘s going to be pestering me about it soon.”

With a sudden smack, Bright backed up some to find a bag that held what felt like the last fritter and looked up to Bottlecap who smiled, “Your last meal before a Pink horror comes to greet you.”

“You make me feel so reassured.” He sarcastically said before grinning happily and picking up the bag with his magic. Opening it up and taking the last fritter, he did not hold back the happy smile that formed on his muzzle at the cinnamon and sugar taste.

The earth mare giggled some before jumping off her spot and giving a quick goodbye to the blissfully unaware stallion and walked off.

While making her way through the park that was ahead of her and taking in the sights some, she began to softly frown at a new development. Just beyond the sight of the late morning pedestrians, sat a grey Pegasus with a saddlebag emptied out. This wasn’t what bothered Bottlecap, it was rather a small grope of ponies that she wasn’t familiar with.

They seemed to have taken up to jeering at the downed pegasus, who’s golden eyes did what they could to find each letter on the ground and pick them up. She was apparently having some trouble. Her frown deepened at the sight as they made no attempt to help, but did nothing herself. Only walk on passed the three line that hid them from view.

“She‘s just such a klutz.” Remarked a earth stallion to the pegasus mare next to him, “Can't even walk straight on the ground.” And shook his head mockingly.

“I just tripped a bit.” The grey Pegasus with blond mane said as cheerfully as she could, “Anypony could fall from a small trip.” Carefully taking up another letter and putting it into her bag.

With a sudden *poomf* all the mail that was put back into the bag flew out as the magenta colored magic faded away from the bag as the unicorn mare responsible laughed jeering, “As if, we all know your just that much of a klutz Derpy.”

‘Derpy’ turned her head away to hid her slight tears while putting on a brave façade of sorts and picking up the dropped mail once more, “Well, I do accidentally make mistakes now and then...”

“More then that I‘d say.” The stallion quipped with a turn of his head and getting a few more laughs from the mares next to him.

“Oi now, what‘s all this?” Stopping them from going any further was the voice from a new arrival, being an earth stallion with a brown coat and a darker brown mane, “Miss Doo, this lot‘s not botherin‘ you, are they?”

Cutting in quickly, one of them stated, “Derpy fell, so we thought it would be nice to, uh, help her with picking up!” Despite the smile the pegasus mare held, the stallion didn’t look convinced.

“Well, if that was, then you would have not sent the letters into the air after she picked them up, yes?” He was not amused by the groups attempt to wiggle their way through this. It was difficult enough for Ditzy Doo to be ridiculed now and then for her eyes. He would not have this continue on with…

Squinting his eyes he asked, “Do I know you, I cant seem to place your names.” The other stallion went to open his mouth but was promptly cut off, “Doesn’t matter, I suggest you leave Miss Doo alone, or else I will personally file a report to a few friends I‘ve made in the guard.” With a rather cunning smile he added, “You would be surprised what some ponies will pay for to keep an old clock working.”

The three ponies looked at one another before turning and leaving as if it would be a waste of their time. The stallion waited for a bit before walking to Ditzy an pick up a few letters, “Rude lot they were, I can not fathom what they would come here of all places.” Hoofing the gathered mail to Ditzy.

Taking them and placing them into her bag, she ran her hoof in a circle on the ground saying, “Thank you Time Turner, I wasn’t sure how I would have deal with them.”

Blinking a moment or two, he gave a beaming smile, “Well, I couldn’t have ‘em bothering you, now could I?” Patting her shoulder in reassurance.

With a nod he turned to leave, but was stopped by a grey hoof. Following it back to Ditzy, she shyly asked, “Turner, are you doing anything later today?” And anxiously shifted in her place.

Giving a warm smile he told, “I was on my way to pick up some parts, ask me again after work, alright?” Seeing her give a nod, he grind, “Now, I believe we both have some work to attend to, no?”

Giving a smile of her own, she gave a nodding, “Yep!” And took to the air…crashing into a few branches before getting more altitude. Time Turner watch the leaves and sticks fall from the trees for a moment, and wondered why she chose to fly and not walk?

Shaking his head of those thought, he turned about, only to stop short and look back as to where the three ponies he scared off ran to. He thought for a moment before shaking his head and walking off.


All around the library, each and every shelf was bare of all books as a feather duster floated thought each and every one, brushing and collecting dust in its wake. Closely following it was Spike with cleaners of his own, washing and polishing the wood of any dirt or grim in his path.

Nearby was Twilight in the center of it all, moving books and dusters all about in an organized chaos she was more then comfortable in. Spike speedily kept up with her multitasked magic abilities, cleaning nearly as fast as she cleared each shelf.

After they were done with cleaning the shelves, they would need to reorganize each book. She had just gotten a shipment of requested books the day prior, but did not get the chance to do anything about it. Now that she had time, she would incorporate them in with the rest of the collected text after a quick cleaning.

She didn’t want the precious paper to get full of dust and ruin the book itself after all.

“First section done!” Spike called from where he stood, “You can start putting Non-fictional foal stories in.” With that said and done, he moved to the next space.

Quickly, Twilight took a pre-made stack of said books and sort though them one last time before sliding the whole group in one go. Bringing up a list, she checked off the seventh box and moved on herself. Just in time for Spike to call out once again with another cleared spot.

After some time of this, Masquerade walked in and halted in time for a flock of books to fly by and slid into their own place. Looking into the center of this controlled whirlwind of chaos, he spotted Twilight fully focused on her task and moving everything with precision.

After all this time, and Masquerade still marveled at her magical abilities and the extent she could utilize it. The changeling in unicorn body just stood in place and watched her work. He admired the pinkish-lavender aura of magic swirl and dance on each object as it was expertly handled with care. Tasting the emotions in the air, he could distinctly pick up Twilight's calm and yet happy feelings flow about calmly.

He rather liked the taste of it.

Squeezing his eyes shut for a moment to get focused off the magical mare, Masquerade went through the challenging task of getting past the small tornado of books and feather dusters that threatened to hit him.

Not three steps in, and he had to duck as an encyclopedia on aquatic insets flew by. Next, he had to side step a book on chemicals and their reactions, that shot up from the floor and into the air. After that, he dodge to the right as a wall of Daring Doo novels almost tackled him from behind.

All the while, Twilight had her nose buried in her list, glancing up now and then to make sure she was getting each book in its proper place. While she was obliviously aware of Masquerade’s dangerous trek through the book storm, but the dragon assistant was more than aware.

Spike had halted his cleaning for a moment, just to watch the stallion that had stayed with them for three weeks, jump over another collection of books that seemed intent on tripping him up. He watched on, rather impressed that Masquerade go into a roll, just in time for a duster to fly overhead and quickly stopped himself where a pile of books slammed down.

He wished he could stay and watch. Heck, he wished he had a soft recliner with popcorn and soda to watch this, but the young drake had cleaning to do. So with that, he went back to work. Taking peeks now and then to keep track of Masquerades progress.

Another group of books came flying in from his left flank, at the same instance on his right, came a rater large dictionary the looked to be half his size. By Anarchy, that’s a big book!

With bugged out eyes, and finding himself caught between two attacks, he put on a rather big show for Spike as he jumped up and twisted his body in midair. The dictionary zoomed under him, just glancing his fur coat before falling back to the floor where the flock of books zoomed over his body.

Landing on his hooves lightly enough to barley make a sound, Masquerade did a forward roll as the pile of books from before lifted up and giving free passage.

It was by chance that more books came slamming down behind him, and covered him from view as Twilight looked back up to check her progress. Seeing another section cleaned by her faithful assistant, she lifted the same books and into their respective places then back to her list. This let her completely miss the stallions backwards flip, allowing him to avoid another wing of dusters that tried to impale him with there dull wooden handles.

Admittedly, he could just ask Twilight to stop for a moment to walk over to his little place and work in peace. However, I haven’t had this much fun since I teased Twilight about looking adorkable!

Despite wanting to chuckle at that thought, the master Infiltrator kept all focus on avoiding all the non-lethal obstacles around him. He noted to himself to ask Twilight help him make an obstacle coarse for him to play with. Maybe get those two mares, Applejack and Rainbow Dash to jump in with him and see who can come out first.

Seeing his destination just a few feet away, Masquerade went for a jump to clear most of the books in motion. It was at that moment that there was a knock at the door. Masquerade’s eyes widened as a wall of books came to a halt as Twilight refocused her attention to the door.

“Wonder who that is?” She quietly said, levitating the books down, right as Masquerade was going to run into a wall of them, but thankfully landed without harm. “I‘ll get it Spike, you keep on cleaning.” Twilight told while she walked to the door.

While she walked away, Spike shoot a look to a relived black unicorn who let out a quick breath, “Geez, that was close!” Spike rose a scaly brow at Masquerades…more or less silly antics and went back to work.

The shape shifter took one look around the book covered room and carefully navigated over the text laying about. Looking over his work space some, he called on his green magic to pull up a new sheet of paper and another pencil. Opposed to Twinkle's like for quills and ink, he preferred the more faster pencil that didn’t need constant refilling.

Putting both down on the table he was using, Masquerade got to work on his latest piece of information that would call for his attention for latter. But for now, he was going to possibly have a talk with Twilight about some things he had found during his stay in Ponyville.


A content sigh escaped Twilights lips as she read over one of the few books that had came in the day before. With the shelves cleaned and all the books reorganized, she could take some time off with Spike and enjoy the afternoon.

She had spotted Masquerade earlier, just after she checked to see who was at the door where a mare she knew as Daisy had come by. Apparently she wanted to know if the book she requested had come in, and was more than happy to get it for her.

Twilight scrunched her face in remembrance of something…peculiar about Masquerade. Despite staying in his little corner and keeping quite, she had seen him watch Daisy like a hawk would a snake. She had asked after the pink mare left, as to why he was acting so suspicious of Daisy.

He told her he would explain later, but he wanted to finish a few documents that would be needed for later use. She decided to drop the subject for the time being and get back to work herself.

Right now, the stallion was seemingly finishing up whatever he was writing down and was placing each folded paper into it’s place. Twilight cringed some as the black unicorn repeatedly fold each document he worked on into smaller and smaller sizes. She wasn’t sure why he would treat something that had some sort of value in such a…careless manner, but she was sure it was just a difference in habit than anything else.

Getting up and stretching some, Masquerade directed his gaze right to her and stood in place in thought. Seeing him stand there with a blank expression didn’t help Twilight feel all to comfortable. It reminded her too much of how he would look at her in his actual form. The same one that sent a chill of fear run down her spine at the sight of chitin and those two green cat eyes that just look right through her.

Taking a deep breath and getting up from her own seat, Twilight walked over to her old friend calmly. He quirked a brow at her but said nothing of it. When close enough she asked, “Are you going to tell me why you were eyeing Daisy like she was Nightmare Moon in disguise?”

For a moment longer he stood in thought before motioning to the door, “Lets take a walk, I‘ll explain on the way.”

Seeing this as nonnegotiable, as he had moved right passed her, Twilight gave a small groan of frustration at his actions before following suit.

Out the door and into the afternoon sun, both unicorns, both fake and real, made there way down the road side by side. The townsfolk around them gave smiles and waves, that they in turn gave back.

The mare waited ever patiently for the stallion next to her to start telling her the reason for his slightly rude behavior, but only got silence. A little longer and they came to a stop at a bench, to which he took a seat and patted the space next to him for her to sit.

Giving a confused expression, but following his unsaid instruction, she sat down and watch the passing pony with him in silence.

“Prim Posy.” He seemed to blurt out randomly, catching her attention. Looking to him, she saw a outstretched hoof that pointed to a pegasus mare with pale lavender coat, blond mane with an orange lily in it and wore a orange skirt.

Before she could ask, he told, “Just exiting her teens, has three close friends and a gaggle of followers for gossiping. She is fond of fine music, but listens to more pop to keep with the times. Mother hospitalized due to rare disease, and father that helps pay off the bills with his cooking stand in the market district.”

Twilight blinked at the sudden burst of information on this pony. How does he know that? Was one of many questions that suddenly bubbled in her mind. Before she could ask such questions, he pointed his hoof again stating, “Comet Tail, a map maker by day, and an astronomer by night. Likes the cool evening breeze, has romantic interest in one Candy Mane, and had a slight reading disorder that challenges him daily.”

Twilight observed the light yellow unicorn stallion that was talking to a few other ponies as Masquerade continued, “The white unicorn mare with purple mane and tail is Cold Front, a friend of Amethyst Star, and also close friend to that other pony she‘s next to, Prism Glider.”

The blue pegasus stallion with a silver mane gave a cheery smile towards Comet, who said something back that caused the two other ponies to laugh in mirth. “He‘s part of the weather team, and likes to help Comet make his maps, as he enjoys gliding around with his best pals in the sky.”

Now Twilight's breathing became a little shaky at everything Masquerade was telling her. From her knowledge, she didn’t know anypony besides her friends that knew of Masquerade, yet right now he was naming things off about these ponies she didn’t even know.

She turned to look at him in time for him to point again, this time to a familiar trio of flower mares saying, “Rose Luck, Lily Valley and Daisy. The three are next to inseparable and know each others secrets greatly. They are sisters in all but blood, and have taken up to living in one house. There is nothing I can think of that could break them apart.”

Twilight warily looked to Masquerade, finding his eyes once more locked onto Daisy as if he was picking her apart bit by bit. She turned to the mare of interest and wondered what it was that had caught his undivided attention.

“Daisy‘s a changeling.” That line put Twilight for a loop, and whipped her head around to his face, “So is Rain Dance, Roma, Serenity, Toe-Tapper, and Goldengrape.”

She stared at him for a long while and only got out, “What?”

Glancing at her and back to the townsponies, he told, “All the names I've said were the names of the ponies these changelings use as their personas.”

“How do you know?” Twilight asked uncertainly, “Do they know you’re a changeling too, and if you‘re right, then what clan are they part of?” Seeing him sigh some he looked right at her in thought.

With some extra time to think he said, “How do I know? I‘m a changeling heir, I can tell when there are other changelings around, if they don’t hide themselves.” Looking back to all the mingling ponies he continued, “Do they know I‘m a changeling? I doubt it.”

Tapping his chin in thought he concluded, “I wouldn‘t think so, they didn’t feel like heirs, only like the common changeling. If so, they most likely don’t know there are other changelings around them.”

“As for clan, well, I wouldn’t know. They might belong to some minor clan outside the ones I know, or could be rouges for all I know.” He shrugged, truly unsure as to the last question.

Twilight’s mind worked quickly to take in this information thinking, so, from the sound of it, heirs can sense other changelings. He also mentioned common changelings not knowing of others, why is that? And other clans he doesn’t know, or rouges? The last one concerned her some, but the next passing thought was made her ask, “How do you know these ponies so well?”

Turning to look him in the eye, she could see some form of apprehension, as if scared to answer that question. As she stared him down he slowly told, “I‘m known to be the best Infiltrator in our five clans.” Seeing her look of realization he went on, “Those who are part of such a group not only spy on others, but seek out potential spies in the clans ranks.”

Seeing and feeling the emotions stir in Twilight, he said quietly, “It‘s something I‘ve been trained to do since I was a colt, for the protection of my clan.” Looking skywards he stated, “And now I‘m doing it to make sure your safe.”

The unicorn mare sat there and contemplated his words. Though she couldn’t say she was happy with him…more or less, stalking and rummaging through another ponies life, she also couldn’t fault him much. This was most likely another changeling costume or something she equally didn’t understand fully. And knowing he was doing it for her protection did help ease her mind some.

“I know you must be angry.” Masquerade told, knowing full well that the mare beside him was irked, but not terribly so, “But you need to understand, I‘m doing this so know if a changeling that would mean harm ever gets into town without our knowing.”

Giving Masquerade one last hard stare, she gave in and said, “No, I‘m not that happy your sneaking into ponies lives like you are.” Tapping her hoof on the edge of the bench and looking for the right words she admitted, “But I‘m glad your doing it for good reasons, even if I don’t like how you go about it.”

He gave a helpless shrug and looked out into the masses saying, “I do better undercover or hidden away, not much for a upfront approach.” Looking back at her blank face, he gave a confused look as she said with sarcasm, “Of course not, after all, showing your true from without warning isn’t upfront at all.”

Unable to contain himself, Masquerade laughed at her words, and was soon followed by Twilight herself as she was caught up in his laughter.