• Published 31st May 2014
  • 9,107 Views, 303 Comments

Acceptance - Riddle-Me-Think



Ponyville is seen as a quaint little town by those who live there, and for Twilight Sparkle, it has all she needs with her friends by her side. When a stranger that she is familiar with comes into town, she finds herself questioning as to what to do

  • ...
24
 303
 9,107

In a Week

I do not own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic


One more week, Celestia thought while overlooking Canterlot from her balcony, one more week and they will be here. Looking up, the eldest alicorn could see the large barrier set up by Shinning Armor, closing off the city from anything that wasn’t pony.

The time was closing on them all, when the opposing changelings would strike. Intrusive had already informed her and Luna about some Lue scouts spotting odd movements around their secure scouting posts. It was slightly unsettling how such a large force could slip past her nations guard and at such a quick pace.

Looking back down to the crowd filled streets, Celestia could only sigh in some sadness that her ponies would have to suffer through an invasion they were not fully told about. But those from the Lue clan had made it very clear to her, anypony that knew about the invasion that was to come, might possibly leak it to the enemy.

“Aunty, are you alright?” Cadence’s voice called from behind, almost making the solar alicorn drop her mask of calm.

Turning her head and giving her calm smile, Celestia told, “I‘m fine Cadence, just a little worried about my little ponies.” Then turned back to her subjects that lived on without knowledge of the danger to come.

Moving next to the elder and sitting next to her, Cadence reassuringly put a hoof on her aunts shoulder saying, “They will be fine aunty, after all, Canterlot is known to be a city of unicorns.”

She is right, Celestia recounted to herself, knowing the ivory city had a large number of unicorns, plenty knowing how to wield magic offensively. A few will stand up against the invaders, aiding the guard who will most assuredly fight back. Even with these thoughts, Celestia was still worried.

“I know you have faith in them Cadence, but remember those stories I have told you about them.” Celestia reminded her niece, thinking back to a time were war and conflict was the true way of settling things, “The foe we face is one that can bring us down to our knees.”

“Then it is good you have some of your foes assets to aid you.” Intrusive voice seemed to come from nowhere as he walked from the doorway to the balcony.

Both alicorns looked back, finding the old stallion smiling a little and telling, “I do not mean to intrude your highness, but Cadence and I wished to check up on how you were fairing after your visit with the rabble.” Taking strides over to the two before sitting down and lighting his long pipe.

They both observed the elder, whom rested the smoking end of his pipe in his hoof comfortably, letting out puffs of smoke. With a small smile, Celestia nuzzled her niece and told, “Thank you for your concern Cadence, but you don‘t need to worry too much.”

The pink alicorn accepted the show of affection, responding, “But I am allowed to worry aunty.” Pulling away as she told, “You do work yourself to exhaustion nearly everyday.”

Rolling her eyes, Celestia told jokingly, “If I didn’t, then who would, Blue Blood?” It was true she trusted her nephew, but his skills and influence only went so far.

Giving her aunt a questioning gaze, Cadence said, “You never did explain how he was related to you and aunty Luna.” Looking almost accusingly at Celestia.

With a smile, Celestia told, “Maybe when your older dear.” Lightly laughing at the pouting face her niece gave her.

“I am rightly an adult, what could there possibly be that I need to be older to know this?” Cadence questioned, wondering if her aunt kept this information back just to edge her on. It was one thing she had always wondered, yet never found out its true reason.

With a smile the white alicon only said, “You are still young by alicorn standards, but you‘ll find out in time.” Feeling the signs of a grin threatening to break loose.

Peeking an eye open to the two, Intrusive told, “She has you there youngling.” Before going back to smoking his pipe with a ghost of a smile.

“You keep out of this.” Cadence told with a slightly threatening --but playful-- tone in her voice, making the elder cackle a little. Turning back to her aunt, Cadence gave a slight sigh at the sight of the older alicorns ever serene smile that seemed to disarm any of her words. Shaking her head, Cadence just conceded, “Fine, I‘ll wait.”

With a playful smile, Celestia laughed lightly, “Don’t worry Cadence, I will tell you soon enough.” And looked back out a crossed Canterlot. Putting a wing over the pink alicorn, Celestia gave another nuzzle telling, “Thank you for that, I needed it.”

Cadence leaned in some, saying, “Any time aunty.” Before breaking away and getting up telling, “I also wanted to let you know I‘m going out for a little extra shopping for any wedding supplies I might have missed.” Leaving for the stairs.

“Do not forget to take some guards with you, your highness.” Intrusive called, “Infiltrators can still get in, and I am concerned what would happen to you.”

Giving her own nod, Celestia agreed saying, “Please do as elder Intrusive asks, I would feel safer knowing you had some guard watching you.” Not sure how she would feel if her own niece was taken from her.

With a reassuring smile, Cadence nodded, “I‘ll stop by my soon-to-be and ask for two of his finest.” And made her way down the spiraling staircase.

Sighing, but also smiling to herself, Celestia went back to looking over the city while the changeling elder continued to smoke his pipe in silence.

After a time, Celestia said, “I sometimes worry you know.” Catching the elder attention while saying, “Worry about how this short conflict will turn out, worried about what it will mean for those who find out about changelings…” Looking down at her hooves, she finished, “Worried if I can‘t truly do my duty as a princess.”

Going back to smoking his pipe a little, Intrusive only said, “It is a difficult situation, I agree.” And looked out at the city before him smiling a little, “But I have full confidence in your abilities your highness. Our plan will work out, and Equestria will remain safe.”

“I hope you are right, esteemed elder.” The alicorn nodded, looking back out a crossed Canterlot once more saying, “Because I fear that something is going to happen sooner then we think.”

With a slight snort, Intrusive told, “If so, then know that the Lue are ready to aid you in any way possible.” And seemed to glare out past Caterlot telling, “For too long have my clan dreamed to make peace with you ponies, and now that we have the chance, we will not let it slip by.”

Moving closer to the elder, Celestia took a seat next to Intrusive saying with sincerity, “Then I will be sure that peace is truly taken up for both our people when this is over.” Looking back over the city she had lived in for years, having some closure that things will work out, for better or worse.

As they continued to just sit on the balcony with peaceful quiet, Intrusive blinked a few times, watching as the train leave from it’s station saying, “That reminds me, how was your visit to that desserts competition yesterday your highness?” Feeling the slightest of emotion stir in Celestia.

“It was nice.” The solar monarch told, “They had a wonderful display of desserts, especially one that was brought in when Twilight and her friends arrived.” Before looking saddened saying, “Unfortunately, I was unable to get a slice before Pinkie Pie ate it whole.”
Intrusive gave a light chuckle saying, “If you were any other pony, I would scoff at such a notion being possible.”

Celestia nodded before seeming to gain a confused look on her face while thinking, though, I’m quiet surprised that Twilight got into a fight. But then shook her head humorlessly, then again, not all ponies can just tell others off and say they laid claim to a stallion of their own-- being princess does have it's perks

Feeling these emotions from the alicorn, Intrusive peeked an eye open asking, “Does something amuse you?” Curious what the monarch of the sun found funny.

Smirking to herself, Celestia told, “I am just reliving some of my old love life Intrusive.” Getting an amused snort form the changeling elder.


Walking through Canterlot during the day could sometimes be seen somewhat as a hassle, as crowds hustled and bustled about and got in ones way or some bumping into others. This was negligible if one was a princess though, as the position seemed to create a clear path for said pony.

Cadence had to sometimes wonder if there was some invisible force around her that made ponies do this, or if it was merely the guards by her side. Either way, she was glad to have a clear path to allow her through the slightly overcrowded street before her. Already she had found a few things she had missed and put them in her saddlebag for later use.

Using her magic to bring up a list to check up on her last stop, Cadence felt a slight urge in her body that made her stop and look about for a moment. She internally cursed herself, wishing she didn’t get that tea form a shop some distance back. But they serve such good tea!

Spotting a nearby shop, the princess of love made her way over to the store, doing her best to keep herself paced and hold her ever princess like pose. Upon entering the store, Cadence looked around the store and its merchandise, finding what she needed and set course for it.

Moving away from both solar guards at her side as she told, “The two of you go on and wait by the door, I‘ll be out shortly.” Setting the bags outside the door, while entering the fillies room with some added hast. Once inside, she gave a smile at the first stall she saw, rushing to it without any eyes to see her un-princess like rush.

Shortly after she had entered the stall, another mare came in, looking around before seeing the mirror and walking up to it. With both hooves she messed with her mane, getting it to curl one way or another to suit her needs. She gave a slight growl at her horn that got slightly in the way, but went on with her work with fixing her mane.

With a flush, Cadence came out with a much more relived face and went to the mirror where the sinks were to wash her hooves. The mare gave Cadence a look, having a slight start saying, “Well I‘ll be, I didn’t think I‘d ever meet royalty in here of all places.”

Cadence gave a slight start of her own at the mares voice, apparently not noticing her at first, “Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t see you there.” Feeling her cheeks warm a little.

With a small laugh, the mare said, “It should be me saying sorry.” And bowing saying, “It‘s an honor meeting a princess after all.”
Smiling and waving her hoof to bring the mare back up, the princess said, “Thank you, but you didn’t need to bow.” Going back to cleaning her hooves while watching the other mare deal with her mane. With a small smirk Cadence asked, “Planning to see somepony special?”

With a surprise look, the mare nodded, “Yeah, going to see a real prince charming, and I wanted to look my best.” Going back to her mane, “I‘m hoping it turns out good, my children need this.”

“Why do you say that?” The princess asked, seeing the mare she just met wilted a little.

Finally getting some of her mane fixed as she liked, she told, “We‘re just low on our luck lately, and getting support might help us all.”
With a small smile Cadence told, “If there is any way I would help, I would be glad to offer some.”

The unicorn mare laughed some saying, “Well, I could ask for one thing…” Lighting her horn in a green magic to bring up a photo and give it to Cadence, “Think he‘s my type?”

Lighting her horn to take the photo, Cadence looked it over and felt her eyes widen as she saw her Shinning Armor on it. This shock made her stall for a moment, giving her no time to see the green bolt of magic that struck her. The alicorn princess fell in mute silence, unable to move or scream as she fell to the floor unmoving.

With a flash of magic, the room was covered in a green veil, and the unicorn pony before Cadence was engulfed by fire and showing a changeling in her place. The princess felt the hole filled hoof of the changeling before her, lift her head up and looking down with contemplating cat-eyes.

Cadence could only feel fear grip her mind while the changeling continued to move her unresponsive head about saying with a slight buzz, “It is a shame you know, that we changelings have to go to such lengths for survival.” Engulfing her body in green fire again to take Cadence form, “But it must be done, for my children.”

A vicious smile showed on the faux Cadence’s features as she told, “No matter, what must be done, will be done…and I get a new toy at the same time.” Then pulled the real princess up into a hug, petting her mane while saying, “And thank you for your help, my dear princess Mi Amore Cadenza.” Nuzzling the real princess, “I wouldn’t have been able to do this without you.”

The real Cadence wanted to scream and yell for help, doing all she could to will her body to move and fight back. Yet, nothing happened, and she could only watch in mute horror as the imposter let her paralyzed body drop to the floor like a sack of potatoes and walk away. Before the fraud left out the door though, the false alicorn turned and smirked, “Oh, I almost forgot.”

The changeling in Cadence’s body lit her horn in it’s green color, using it to make a ring of green fire surround the real Cadence before it formed into a green barrier. Slowly, the sphere sunk into the ground, and before long no trace of Cadence was left.

With a pleased smile, the fake Cadence walked out of the fillies room and canceling out her silence spell. When outside, both guards gave her a look with one asking, “Is everything alright princess, we thought we heard something.”

With a disarming smile she told, “The mare inside just slipped and fell a little. She‘s fine.” Spotting the saddlebag on the ground, she set it on her back and trotting ahead while saying, “Come on, I just remembered that I had something to do back at the palace.” A predatory look gleaming in her eyes.


The first thing that Cadence noticed was how cold she felt, quickly followed by stale and dry air. She gave a light groan, using her forelegs to weakly get up as she could feel a slight shift in her bodies strength. It was returning back to her, but for some reason she had felt slightly weaker for a moment.

After effects of that spell? She wondered for a moment before sitting up and shaking her head. Opening her eyes, the pink alicorn looked about her location, almost squinting her eyes a little at the lack of light.

Focusing her magic into her horn, Cadence made a low glow of her blue magic light up her dark soundings, letting her see walls of crystals all around the cave.

She looked about in confusion, completely flabbergasted that this place existed, but more impotently, because she had no idea where she was. Cadence looked about in sudden fear for some sort of exit, finding a number of tunnels, but none that seemed to lead out.

“Where am I?” The princess didn’t mean to say it out loud, but at the moment all the silence made her uneasy. There seemed to be no sound, and the surrounding shadows didn’t help some of her fears, as she could not see too far.

“Hello?” Cadence called, hearing her voice begin to echo about the cave around her, sending shivers up her spine at the whole emptiness of the place. Lifting her hoof up and bringing it to her chest, Cadence took a breath in, and let it back out while starching her hoof out, and did the breathing excurses once more to fully clam down.

With some clarity now, Cadence looked at the situation she was in and began to consider her options. I’m alone, stuck in some caverns, and have no way to know where the exit is. With another glance around, only shadows were there to greet Cadence, unwilling to move away unless light was brought to them.

Teleporting was an option, but she didn’t know how far she was from Canterlot, or if she could teleport. For all she knew, she could be even further from Canterlot and not know it, making teleporting even more dangerous as she would be making a blind jump.

Looking around one more time, Cadence got up and started walking towards the closest tunnel, hoping against hope she would find her way out.


It had been three days since she had arrived at the palace, and so far, nopony was the wiser about her infiltration into Canterlot. ‘Cadence’ looked over some of the wedding plans that were made, nodding at how some of the preparations were made. According to Celestia, six mares were going to be coming in about one more day, to help aid in finishing up the wedding preparations.

She could not help but smile at her situation, feeling very pleased at the results she had gotten so far. Mostly with Shinning Armor, who let her get close enough to start working her magic on that handsome little head of his.

Looking back up, both eye flashed into their green cat-eye form, looking past the city and past the pink barrier that protected it. They were out there, she knew, waiting for the time were they could rush in and take what was sorely needed.

Soon, my children. She thought with a motherly touch, soon, you will have all the food and strength you need to crush all those who threaten our people! Developing a malevolent grin on her muzzle and held back her manically laughing to her mind.

Taking a calming breath to bring herself back to reality, ‘Cadence’ chuckled lightly to herself, moving over to the bed she would be soon be using with her ‘husband’ in the future. Granted, she was mostly going to keep the stallion around as a means to relive stress… but that didn’t mean she was going to let him be useless.

What to do with a almost brain-dead captain of the guard who can’t cast a single spell? It was a slight problem she was going over, but she would figure something out. If not, she could always dump the lump off at some remote place, or hoof him off to her eldest daughter to use.

Decisions, decisions, decisions… She thought, flopping onto the soft bed and looking at her soft pink velvet fur coat that could no doubt help charm any stallion. The thought made her smile a little in amusement, thinking of trying to edit her favorite form with a little of alicorn physiology.

I do like the body, and it feels so young. The fraud mused in her mind, still admiring the seemingly perfect body the alicorn got compared to all the ponies. But despite all the perks the body had, it still lacked the one thing that made it partially so powerful: longevity.

Or more accurately, immortality, She somewhat bitterly thought. Just like everything else, changelings could not copy magic-- and immortality was part of this, making it impossible for any changeling to copy it. Even a dragon thousand year lifespan could not be copied, as it tied into their magic in some way.

I suppose it does not matter, the faux Cadence finally decided, rolling herself to her stomach thinking aloud, “After all, a long life is only full of grief.” Knowing it was hard enough to watch the young of her people only live into young adults, before being snuffed out by something. But to watch such a thing for hundreds, nay, thousands of years… How does one not go insane from watching all things around them turn to dust?

She did not envy the alicorns immortal lifespan, nor their great power. One made a being suffer by watching all those that are friends and family, die and be forgotten. The other, only separated and distanced one from being close to those they cared for, sometimes fearing the power they poses.

That is not the way of the clan. She thought somewhat venomously, power and long life mean nothing without the clan. And looked down to the bed with a sad eyes, without my family…

She hadn’t noticed, but a tear had made its way down her snout and to the bed, staining the covers into a darker hue as she thought, why did you have to leave my son? Then turned her attention out the nearby window, why did you leave you mother and your family for this?

She could not understand why her son had left, and for the ponies no less. He was the predator, and they were the prey, nothing would change that. His ideals for peace were something she could admire, but there was no way he could convince the two celestial sisters to agree to peace. They would sooner turn him to ash. The most crazy part of it, is that he knows this, and sighed at this line of thought.

Hearing a knock on her door, a voice called through saying, “Cadence, can I come in?” Letting ‘Cadence’ know that Shinning Armor was just on the other side.

Looking to the closest mirror to find a few stray tears, ‘Cadence’ used her foreleg to remove them and say, “Come on in Sninny.” Doing her best to smile, even if she didn’t actually like the stallion.

Opening the door, the white unicorn flashed a smile to the alicorn before him before feeling it drop as he asked, “Are you alright Cadence?” Noticing the damp trails on her face.

Adding in a sniff, she waved off, “I‘m fine, just a bit jittery about the wedding.” Trying to hold a somewhat preppy tone, something she didn’t like using.

With a new smile, Shinning Armor walked over to the mare, joining her on the bed and saying, “I know what you mean, I never thought the day would come were we would make our vows and live together under the princesses blessing.” Nuzzling the pink mare.

Copying and only slightly returning the affectionate action, the fake alicorn discreetly began to drain her victim of more love, reveling in the potency and strength of it. Such strong feelings you have for this mare, captain. And smirked out of the unicorns sight, I almost feel bad for taking it…

Feeling a small kiss being planted on her forehead and giving even more love, she thought, on second thought, I’m not. Laughing on the inside while giving the stallion a happy smile.

Maybe if I am careful, than maybe, just maybe… Putting a hoove over the stallion, she whispered into his ear, “I love you.” And rested her head on his shoulder. While Shilling Armor pulled her close and nuzzled the alicorn again, she finished, …I too, can have power to rival an alicorn.


Two eyes slowly opened to the ever dark and silent coves that had become her prison for…

How long has it been? Now that she thought about it, Cadence didn’t know how long she had been here. All there was around her were darkness and shadows unending, with silence as its theme tune all the while.

Using her weakened legs to push off the hard and cold crystal like ground, Cadence looked about the dark cavern, use to seeing in it’s lowlight by now. She took a gulp of air, feeling the dryness that had set into her mouth at not having anything to drink. Her belly ached, telling her that her body needed food to help keep her strength.

But these were the least of her worries compared to what her mind had been plagued with. Nightmares of loosing her beloved to the imposter that would take everything that made him who he was, in the foremost of her mind. This was quickly followed closely by the loss of those closest to her and what would happen to them.

She still remembered those tails her aunt told her, the censored history of how the changelings would descend on towns and villages and take everypony there. The magic in the land so desolate and cold, letting thing live, but in a almost death like state.

She worried for Celestia, who despite her wisdom and age, could very much miss the hints of this imposter masquerading as her. She also worried for Luna as well, knowing that any betrayal by her doppelganger would devastate the night alicorn, who already had a lack of allies and loved ones.

Fear seemed to clutch at her heart when that wonderful mare that was her favorite filly to watch would also fall pray to the changeling. The thought of something happening to her forced a sob out of Cadence, tears running free as she soldier on.

I have to find a way out, She thought with determination, using what strength she could to keep moving unsteadily through the dark shadowy caves, I just have to! Careful not to stumble in the dark that seemed wanting to choke her.

So for a undetermined amount of time, Cadence continued to walk on, body working by will alone to find a way out. She could hardly keep track of her progress, going left and right, up and down, twisting and turning--

The alicorn could feel her mind being played with as it felt like she was hearing things that weren’t there, or saw shadows move when nopony was around. Despite all of her will, it didn’t completely substitute for courage in a situation like this.

The only thing keeping her mind together and occupying her time while walking was her thoughts. Thoughts she had to say aloud to help fight off the silence that almost seemed deafening.

“Things will be fine, the Lue are around, they‘ll notice…if they happen to be around at the same time, or if the infiltrator isn’t a master…” She breathed out, trying to find something positive, “Twilight also had Mask, he‘ll protect her…I know he will.”

“And aunty Celestia, she‘s the strongest alicorn around, with aunty Luna close behind.” She continued on, looking between two tunnels before her, choosing the left side, “And Shinny‘s been training with Intrusive, I‘m sure he‘ll see through the disguise!” Getting a flash back of the photo of Shinning Armor that the changeling had, she whimpered to herself, “I hope.”

She was scared, not only with the possibility she might never be able to escape, but also for her Shinning Armor. A number of terrible things could have been going on without her knowledge, and she had no way of stopping it. It pained Cadence knowing she was absolutely powerless to do anything for her husband.

“Please be safe, please be strong,” Cadence said, unable to shake the image of Shinning Armor just standing in place, looking of into space with an empty gaze. She could see the changeling in her place, cooing and playing the part of the lover, and all the while mocking Cadence for being fooled.

With a fierce fire in her eyes, Cadence seemed to pick up her pace, saying, “No, I won't let that happen, she will not use my Shinning Armor like some toy!” But even with these feelings pushing her on, her body still protested to such actions. She needed to escape, and soon, or else she won't have the strength to even help her beloved.