• Published 31st May 2014
  • 9,102 Views, 303 Comments

Acceptance - Riddle-Me-Think



Ponyville is seen as a quaint little town by those who live there, and for Twilight Sparkle, it has all she needs with her friends by her side. When a stranger that she is familiar with comes into town, she finds herself questioning as to what to do

  • ...
24
 303
 9,102

The clan of Quasi

I do not own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Edited by: Bast


Being an heir of the clan was not what most commons thought it would crack up to be. It was a role that one not only was taught to know, but fully understand. They carried the weight of the clan on their shoulders, burdened with the knowledge that their choices can either mean prosperity or ruin for them all.

The hardest dissensions to make were ones that involved scouting, as the chance of fellow clansmen meeting another hostel changeling clan was possible. More than many had lost their lives to wandering into such situations, where a changeling clan did not like a scout passing through their territory.

And it seems I have to add three more to that list, The current head of the Quasi clan thought while looking over her hive, passed onto her after her father's passing.

The changeling heir leaned on the balcony that was connected to her room, carved from the granite stone that the whole hive was seemingly made of. Blackened resin made houses of all sorts of shapes, some into round like hovels that stuck to the walls.

Others took on a honeycomb shape, hanging far above the cavern floor. For those that had enjoyed the ponies ways of living, they chose to create houses of their own make in the swamps below, complete with roofs that were not really needed. Still, it made for a sight to behold, as a soft green glow help illuminate the hive that held flowing waters, trees and large fungi.

Below her, the hives activity bustled about with a harmonious hum from the constant talking and buzz of gossamer wings. It was an empowering feeling to her, one that not only reminded her, but the whole clan that they were united as a swarm that numbered four-hundred.

But for how long? She wondered to herself, knowing like so many of her followers that something was wrong in the world. Nearly five months back, a number of her scouts had gone missing, disappearing one by one. Though troubling, she knew she could not send others to search for them, as they were far from Quasi territory.

But things got progressively worse, as more of her changeling went missing, and a number of allied minor clans vanished overnight-- leaving broken remains of their clan hives.

Her father had done well to make the hive grow to six-hundred when he was still alive. It stayed that way until the scouts began to vanish with the allied hives. Now, the clan head was down two-hundred of her people, gone to the winds like grains of sand.

But the hive still needed food, and that meant to send out more scouts to make sure they knew where open feeding grounds were. This was so she could send collectors in to gather what they could before binging it back without being noticed.

Her last three scouts, lead by a rather sleazy --but effective-- changeling scout that had survived some of the more harder missions in his life. Still, I can not say I fully trust him, She thought, turning her gaze away from the city-like home she ruled, and walked back inside her chambers.

Despite what she felt, she needed an effective survivor to lead two other scouts deeper into pony territory, home to two of the most strongest being known to changeling kind: Celestia.

She was unsure if it was wise to make such a bold move, but the surrounding lands were already becoming more harder to forage from. The Staunch clan had been making it clear that the griffons mountainous nation was their territory, uniting a few other minor clans to keep it theirs and only theirs.

Minotaur lands were also off limits, as the Quasi’s rival clan, the Salient clan, patrolled and fiercely attacked anything that was changeling. Savages is what they are. The clan head bitterly thought, remembering a time the Quasi had been attacked by the clan, unprovoked I might add.

Dragons were another choice, one she did not even bothering to consider, seeing as they were not only the worst place to get food. But they were also located on the other side of the ponies own lands-- too far of a journey for any of her scouts to give any good information. Assuming they survive that long.

She didn’t even bother considering either zebra or horse, as both were much too far for any of her scouts to reach. One was over ocean, while the other was a hard road to take before reaching desert like sands. If the long journey didn’t kill them, then the empty deserts would as nothing would be giving any emotions off but some animals.

diamond dogs were another option, and a close one at that. The only problem was the mutts were a very greedy species, not usually generating the love required for a healthy diet. Admittedly, they start loving others like any normal dog if given a bone…one made of gold and filled with gems that is.

In short, the ponies were their last option, one that she was willing to risk being sighted by Celestia over. But with another month now passed and still no word from Spite and his followers as to their success…it was not looking good.

She considered other pony settlements and cities, those not under the watchful eye of Celestia, but they already had a number of now highly alert changeling clans. With them sticking their clams and hunkered down, the Quasi clan was left to slowly starve as it scrounged around for scraps.

We’re not going hungry yet, She told herself, using her magic to take a look over a few reports that had come in. She grimaced at a few of them, hissing a bit in anger, but we will if what I read keeps up.

With a suffering sigh, she made her way over to her overly lavished bed, one her drones insisted she have after her ‘coronation’ as the new clan head. Drones, they are adorable as they are annoying, she sighed again, but more out of amusement then anger.
Laying down on the soft mattress and looking over another report, the changeling heir gave another snort while reading--


Northern Patrol Report of Summer Passing

The Red Claw diamond dog pack have begun to move again, thankfully away from the clan hive. Investigations have shown that their withdrawal is due to a large find of gems. One of our numbers by the name of Grey Sky, says it will take them at least a month before they move on again.

The White Tip diamond dog pack is also on the move, as the nearby Hunters Lance diamond dog pack have taken over the area. It is advised that no movements are taken toward their new territory.

As for the previously mentioned pack, they are heading over where our hive is located, but apparently do not wish to set up tunnels around our hive, thankfully. They seemed more interested in heading towards pony territory, where forced slave labor would be possible with minimal resistance.

Griffon patrols have been spotted near the western part of our territory, searching and eliminating certain wildlife such as cockatrices and manticores. We believe it to be another number of glory seekers looking for honor in a good hunt. The Western Patrol headed by Gate, has been informed of this.


Any further reading was interrupted with the pounding at her door, giving the changeling pause at who it might be. Holding her breath and counting a few moments, she held back her irritation of being bothered and called, “Enter.”

Going back to her reading, the heir could hear the doors to her chamber open and let in a lone changeling, one that was giving off plenty of uncertainty. She narrowed her eyes some, wondering what the problem could be.

“Speak.” She ordered, moving from Summers Passing’s report to some paperwork involving the treasury and possible trades that needed to be done.

With a slight gulp, the changeling said, “The scouting group that has been gone for two months has returned.” Catching the clan head’s attention, “But Spite is not among them, and there are…Ponies with them.”

What… It was the only thing that the heir could think after those last three words left her subordinates mouth. When she heard that the scouting group was back, she was overjoyed, but knowing there were ponies with them, and without Spite?

“How many?” She demanded, putting aside her work and jumping off her bed to make her way to the sentinels of the hive.

Quick to take pace beside her, the smaller changeling told, “Six, ma‘am.” Keeping his eyes ahead, not to even taking a chance at looking into his leaders eyes. “Two are unicorn, one male and one female, as well as an earthier, female also. They don’t look like guards, but the male clearly has two swords. The last three concern me the most, as two of them are thestral‘s males, bearing armor of the Lunar guard and escorting one cloaked pony.”

The heir stopped in her tracks, feeling her throat constrict and her breathing stop for a moment at the news. Lunar guard, could it be that… Taking a gulp of air, she asked, “Are you telling me, that the old stories of Celestia having a sister are true?”

Looking nervous himself, the changeling answered, “It‘s possible?” Not sure if he was even correct, “We have not been in Equestrian lands for centuries, and the only reason I know they are Lunar guard is from their crest-- the same one shown in those old tomes of our species near extinction.”

Feeling a rush of fear run through her body, the heir asked, “How far are they, and are you sure there are not more?” She didn’t like this information, even less as she had no idea what Celestia’s supposed sister was capable of.

Gulping again, the changeling squeaked, “They’re at our doorstep, requesting entrance and an audience with you?”

She wasn’t sure, but for a moment, the clan head thought her heart had just stopped. Six ponies, next to no guard, and a possible princess capable of controlling the night at my door step, and asking politely to enter? Today was certainly a off day for her.


Near the entrance of the Quasi clan's hive, a number of sentries donning what armor and weapons they could, baring their teeth and weapons. They however, weren’t fooling anypony, as their armor worked against them, clanking away as they shook in place at the sight of Luna when she shrugged her cloak away.

Despite their apparent fear of her, Luna had to admit she approved of them standing their ground in the face of somepony like her. Most ponies chose to just run and hide after she started going on walks, even some of the guard did so when she regained her more adult body at first.

Both guards to either side of her remained calm, only showing hints of being nervous near so many changelings. They ruffled their bat-like wings, helping to shrug off the chill in the night air around them while they scanned for any attacks with their night eyes.

Not too far off, the changeling that took the form of an earth mare --Roma-- seemed to look at the swarm with lack of interest, eyeing Luna more than them. Luna was not sure why she seemed more interested in her, opposed to the swarm of changelings, or the two changelings that had lead them here.

Beside Roma were both Twilight and Masquerade, the stallion keeping the mare close for both protection and warmth. Despite his protests, both Luna and Celestia felt it best if Twilight came along, seeing as she knew more about changelings than either of them. Masquerade didn’t seem to believe this reason, and did what he could to keep Twilight away from the clan hive.

He even went as far to argue with both Twilight and Luna about it. After what seemed like hours, Twilight was able to get Masquerade’s approval by promising to stay by his or Luna’s side at all times. Masquerade didn’t include the Lunar guard, as he didn’t seem to trust them.

As for the two changelings that had lead them to the hive, they stood between both the swarm and the ponies. Quip was obviously both nervous and excited, happy to be so close to her kin, but also scared of what the alicorn might do. Flick apparently was doing better than his clan was, keeping calm and collected-- even if he eyed Masquerade like a ticking-time-bomb.

Luna returned her eyes forwards when a new changeling appeared at the entrance, one lacking any armor or weapons while passing up the sentinels. He took a deep breath, trying to retain his fear while saying, “Her grace has agreed to see you.” Motioning for the defensive sentinels to back down, “If you would please follow me.”

Giving one another a quick look, Luna began to lead her own troop of sorts, Twilight taking her left and one of her guard on her right. Roma put herself behind Twilight while another Lunar guard walked beside her. Masquerade stayed in the back of the group, feeling the need to guard the rear.

Personally, the second heir didn’t think they would get as far as they did. Just a day after Twilight had talked to the changeling, Quip, Luna had come the next night to speak with Flick. He was surprisingly forthcoming when Quip began to talk to him, telling him how nice the ponies were and the possibility to help their clan.

When the subject of going to his clan came up, Flick became tight lipped, making sure not to say a word. It took two hours of convincing, with Luna’s own intervention, just to get him to even discuss the idea. Masquerade understood that this had huge ramifications for the changeling and his clan.

It will be the first time in changeling history that a pony enters a hive not only willingly, but on peaceful terms. This lone thought sent sparks of excitement run through the heir, almost as if his dream for actual peace was becoming reality. But he knew better, as this was a more of a risky jump into the unknown. If things went downhill, it was only him, Roma, Twilight, two Lunar guards and Luna herself, Vs. the entire Quasi clan.

Than again, we do have a goddess of the night, a battle hyped common, two veteran guards, a magical powerhouse, and a master infiltrator from the prominent clans… Thinking of it that way made the changeling heir feel slightly better. Even if they didn’t completely win against the overwhelming numbers, they would cause a lot of damage.

Twilights thoughts on the other hoof, was not so focused on the possible outcome of fight or flight. Instead, the mare let her eyes wander about the dark tunnel a bit, taking notes of how things looked. The tunnels were smooth, and were held up by a black resin, something apparently that happened when a chemical --matching sugar from her tests-- is introduced to the normally green resin.

Maybe that’s why they like fruit so much, their bodies gather the natural sugars in the fruit to be latter mixed to create this. The lavender theorized, keeping pace with the group as they followed their guide deeper underground, their path lit by green changeling fire.

When they finally reached where the hive was, Twilight soon found the tunnel they traveled to be just a welcome mat, as the city like hive before her had the looks of an obsidian castle. No place was left unused, as the cavern floor, the walls and even ceiling had homes, shops, workplaces and even a number of controlled waterways.

It was all lit up by large orbs made of resin, powered by unknown means and giving the changeling hive a vibe of a city that never slept. The areas of water flowed from the granite ceiling and into basins below, collecting and separating the water so it could travel to all parts of the changelings hive. Farms of fruits, vegetables and fungus could be seen, all thriving in the warm and humid atmosphere.

Scores of drone flew all over, carrying supplies, food, water-- it was literally a buzz of activity as they all worked as one, some even carrying great loads as if they were one being doing it.

Because some of them lacked wings, the ponies had to walk their way to the main stalagmite that was carved into their leaders home. Twilight didn’t mind this though, as it gave her a chance to look about the floor level of the hive. And to say, it amazed her in how it looked.

Moss was laid before them, making a carpet like path for them to follow as they moved passed flooded swamp like lands, filled with tall trees that had a number of changeling homes attached to their trunks. Mushrooms of great size also made their home here, making apparently likable resting places for changelings to land on or under their huge caps.

Twilight could even find changeling homes in the shape of pony homes, having widows, front lawns and even the odd pink flamingo.

While they moved, Twilight had started to notice the number of changelings stopping their tasks to stare at them in both shock and fascination. Some even woke up from there apparent naps to move away and watch them with caution.

The lavender suddenly gave a startled yelp as something landed on her back. Quickly craning her neck around to see what was going on, Twilight found herself face to face with two curious blue eyes. Twilight blinked at the very small changing on her back, staring at her with innocent curiosity and tilting their head at her.

She had not noticed it, but all had came to a complete halt at what happened and looked back to Twilight. Some looked on with worry, seeing a young changeling drone not running away like it should. Their worries were not needed, as Twilight smiled at the small changeling, lifting it off her back with her magic and to the floor.

The small youngling looking about with aw, not at the magic, but rather what was in it. This was the first time magic felt so warm, and so welcoming to be held in. So it felt like a disappointment when she let go of it, not feeling the warmth anymore. The little changeling looked up with large puppy eyes, holding it’s slightly undeveloped holed-filled-hooves out to be picked up again.

Twilight lifted a hoof away, as if to make some distance from the small changeling. Casting her eyes around for some form of help. She was only greeted to all the wary changelings awaiting her choice.

She looked to Luna, as if to ask for help. The monarch of the night did nothing but motion with her hoof for Twilight to chose what to do.

Still feeling unsure, she turned to the closest changeling she knew, being unfortunately, Roma. The mentioned mare only smiled, slightly gesturing with her head to go on and take a risk and pick up the child.

Putting her trust in the changeling, Twilight lit her horn up, filling the quiet space with the ring of her magic as she picked up the small changeling and depositing it on her back again. The little one gave a happy sequel during its time in her magic, giggling and laughing before landing on soft lavender fur.

Now watching the nymph snuggling into the mares back, Roma chuckled saying, “I think you have a new friend Twinkles.” Patting the nymph a bit and saying, “Now aren’t you the cutest little brat I‘ve seen today?” Using her hoof to then tickle the nymphs softer neck some, getting a few giggles and squeals.

Though still very wary of the ponies, the changelings of the Quasi clan began to move once more, keeping an eye on the outsiders that were tending to one of their young.

The guide let out a breath he didn’t know he was holding, straightening up to retain some of his dignity saying, “If we may, the clan center is this way.” Turning around to keep moving.

Quip let out a small giggle, bonding away from Flick and next to Twilight so she might talk to the mare and play with the younger changeling. Roma also gravitated near Twilight, unable to retain her slight changing instincts for caring over the young nymph on the ponies back.

Masquerade watch this all in silenced, smiling at the scene while shaking his head thinking, mares.


The clan center was a rather huge stalagmite in the center of the cavern, dug through and built much like a castle. It’s outer walls were made up of granite and black resin, topped off with curving spikes that only seemed to add to it’s beauty in a way.

A number of towers could be seen hanging off the stalagmite, having hallways branching off to connect them. It looked like they were suspended by a thick spider web, holding each hall and tower in place.

Even know black was often associated with powerful overlords, war mongers and even evil witches-- this obsidian castle looked more awe inspiring than it did scary. Even with it’s alien insect look, the ponies all had to admit that the way everything was in the deeply hidden clan hive had a certain air to it, a beauty unlike anything they knew.

Though Twilight and the two thestral guards didn’t completely know what it was, Luna certainly knew. Through her sense of all three pony tribes, Luna could feel the natural flow in the changelings hive. Despite their tendencies to drain the land of life, it seems that they have learned how to truly live in harmony with the land. This gave a certain feeling of hope to her, that making peace with changelings was not really a lost cause.

The plants grew large and strong, bearing fruit and housing some animals that had some how adapted to the underground life. The waters were clear and teaming with life, properly aerating the water so fish could live in such conditions. But most of all, there was the feeling of harmony.

The night alicorn was not sure what it is they done to hold such a feeling in a place teaming with changelings. If nothing else, they would have drained this place dry of life, leaving an unbalanced cavern to crumble away. So what did they do to keep harmony so strong? The question burned in her mind while she looked the obsidian black castle before her.

Behind Luna, giggles and laughs could still be heard as the little ‘female nymph’ was continuously cooed over by Quip, Twilight and somewhat surprisingly, Roma. The small changeling simply loved the attention, doing cute little acts and also snuggling into Twilight’s mane multiple times.

Luna had seen that even with the high alertness the whole changeling clan shown towards them, they seem to relax whenever they saw one of their young being tended to by the mares. It seemed increasingly obvious to Luna that the small nymph drone still meant a lot to them, despite drones being seen mostly as canon-fodder or grunts.

Why doth it seem so hard to believe, that their likes could show such care in others? She knew the answer, as did her sister. It was hard to believe because of all the chaos and destruction their ancestors had caused on the land. How they did not care how many fell in their armies to achieve any sort of victory.

But now, after rising from their near extinction, changeling kind --or at least this clan-- had learned it’s lesion and now grew without needing to faolnap her little ponies or drain the land dry. It kindled the flames of hope inside of Lunas heart, knowing deep down that they must have truly changed for the better if harmony was maintained so well by those who could destroy it.

“Please wait here.” The guide told them, snapping Luna out of her musing as they halted at two large wooden doors. “I will inform her grace of your arrival.” And passed through the doors before closing them again.

When they did close, Twilight almost burst with barely contained excitement and drawing everyponies attention, “I can‘t believe what I‘ve seen so far.” And glanced out one of the windows saying, “This place isn’t like anything I could have dreamed of, it‘s simply breath taking.”

With a gleeful smile, Quip said, “If you had wings, then I could show you the hive from hang-point!” Feeling her wings buzz a little, “Right up there, at the ceiling!” She pointed out a nearby wind, then turning back to the floor were the nymph was rolling about in a playful manner.

Twilight did so, spotting the wasp like nests that hung from high above the swamp like cavern floor. Every now and then, a changeling would enter and exit these homes, going about their seemingly busy lives.

Taking a few steps to stand next to Twilight, Luna said “It is a marvel of its own, I must agree.” Looking out the slightly green tinted window before her, as her subject and friend did, “Have I not come myself, I might have had a hard time believing such a place existed.”

“Good to know my clan pleases you so.” A silky voice told, getting both ponies to turn.

While Twilight turned around quickly, Luna calmly turned as if not surprised and told, “Pleasing or not, there is a reason I have come.” And faced the female changeling heir that stood about her height.

Luna did a quick look over the heir, noting everything she could in a moments glance. The heir before her was slim, body streamlined and fit for quick flight. Both wings seemed to be a bit more longer and thinner, something the Quasi changelings all had to a minor degree compared to those she had seen in the Lue. The heir also had her mane and tail in pristine condition, not having many holes and having a silky quality to it.

With a light bow, she told, “I am the clan head of the Quasi clan, Opulent.” Then came back up, eyes shinning with apprehension, and cunning, “What do I owe this pleasure, princess?”

Being sure she was standing at her full height, Luna told, “I am princess Luna, Co ruler to Equestria and ruler of the night.” Moving to stand before Opulent saying, “I am here to broker peace between your clan, and Equestria.”

The heirs wings buzzed quickly, shock running through Opulant’s body at the princesses words, “P-peace?” Stuttering the word out in confusion, expecting something a bit more worse.

Giving a nod, Lune motioned for Twilight to step up and told, “Verily I tell onto you, it is Twilight who help pave this path for I and my sister to take.” And nodded for the mare to continue.

Twilight looked up to the heir before her, still feeling some nervousness at the height difference and somewhat predatory eyes looking down on her. Feeling another next to her, Twilight glanced her eyes to the side to see Masquerade by her side, ready to take action.

With a smile, Twilight took in a breath and said, “I am Twilight Sparkle--” Giving a bow before rising, “--I am the student to princess Celestia, and have known about changelings for two months now.”

Holding a moment for Opulent to take that bit of information in, Twilight continued, “I was given a chance by one to know about changelings, and did so knowing the risks.” Looking to Masquerade and nodding.

Her coltfriend gave a slightly suffering sigh, letting go of his disguise of being a pony and back to his heir form. Seeing this, Roma got off the floor with the nymph and joined the two, letting down her own pony form.

The presents of another heir, a male one at that, caused Opulent to take a step back and keep her focus on him.

Seemingly ignoring her wary and untrusting look, Masquerade told with a slight bow, “I am second heir to the Malek clan, Masquerade.” Scooting slightly closer to Twilight saying, “I‘m also Twinkles coltfriend.”

Looking at the group with even greater surprise, Opulent could only internally groan, can this day get any more complicated? Having the need to formulate some idea what to do next, she turned to Quip and Flick respectively saying, “Well, before we start anything, I wish to have my scouts checked out and report their finds.”

Without wasting a moment, Flick made his way towards the clan head, Quip quickly following with nymph in magical tow. Opulent smiled at the smallest changeling, giggling as Quip made the little nymph fly about inside green magic. Reopening the large doors with her own magic, Opulent’s waited for her changelings to enter, telling the pony group, “I will be back shortly.” Then entered herself, closing the doors.

As soon as the other heir was gone, Twilight turned to the window once more and asking, “Is it like this in your clan too, Mask?”

Turning to the mare a bit confused, Masquerade looked to where her gaze was locked and saw the changeling hive before him.

With a sad smile he nodded, “Mostly, however each clan varies in looks at times.” Letting his eyes drift some he said, “But all the basics are there, so most hives do share similarity.”

Joining them, Luna said, “I have a question myself, Masquerade.” Looking about the city full of life and ever present harmony, “How is it that anything can live so deep underground, with changelings no less?”

Twilight gave a questioning look to her princess while Masquerade replied, “We can take on the form of ponies, so that slightly helps.” Already knowing what Luna was getting too, “But despite this, we still can't use pony based magic that require emotions to work.” Scanning over the hive before him and trying to commit a few things to memory, “So, we use the emotions we gathered from others to help things along.”

With new found interest in the subject now, Twilight eagerly asked, “And how is that done, if you can‘t control pony magic?” Already formulating possible theories in her mind.

Smirking, Masquerade asked, “Do you remember those Love Candies us changelings like so much?” It surprised Mask that when Twilight nodded, Luna did too, but considered Twilight told the princesses about it.

Waving those thoughts away, Mask told, “We use the same method of storing love and either giving it straight to the plants, or putting it in those candies and bury them with the plant.”

With a smile tugging at her lips, Roma joined up with them telling, “I‘m glad you let me come along, it‘s been forever since I‘ve been in a clan hive.” Taking a deep breath in, “I miss the feeling of being in one.”

I know the feeling, A sad smile made its way on Masquerade’s muzzle while he put a hoof over Twilight telling, “Once we‘re done with business with Opulent, we can probably ask for a small tour around, how‘s that sound?”

Leaning into her stallions cold and hard chitin, Twilight felt a strange comfort from it and saying, “I would like that.” Slightly nuzzling the smooth shell that felt like a knights armor.

Looking up at the heir that held her close, she could see him looking over the changeling city with vigilant eyes and holding himself regally, much like the princesses. Smiling to herself, Twilight thought, I guess he is my knight, nuzzling him again thinking, my deceiving black knight in tarnished armor.


Opulent sat in her throne like chair, another unnecessary thing father made for his lineage, hearing everything her two scouts had to say. They first started with a few small towns that were just starting out and being made on Equestria’s boarders. This quickly turned into their scouting trip reaching another small town, Ponyville, and finding it one of the best places for harvesting love.

When asked why they had not sent any reports back on their exploits, Flick told her that Spite wished to find out what they could before reporting back themselves with the information. This would not be a problem in itself, but Opulent’s clearly remembered telling the common to send back reports no matter what.

Their report got more interesting when Flick mentioned finding information on the changeling race. Information in the hooves of a pony, Twilight Sparkle. Flick continued to tell how he informed Spite of the protocol needed to be done and proceeded to imprison the mare. Then things went to shell when Masquerade returned home with another mare named Rainbow Dash.

While the two continued telling their report, Opulant could not stop herself glancing at the two large wooden doors. From her changelings accounts, Masquerade was no doubt a changeling infiltrator. And he is in our clan hive, somehow, the situation did get even more complicated.

Quip soon took spotlight in the report, telling how the ponies had talked to her, calmed her down and even play a bit with her. The last part made the clan head smile some, knowing the childish tendencies drones possessed.

While listening to this, she gently ran her holed filled hoof over the nymph that had taken a nap next to her. Part of her mind drifted off at the thought of the nymph next to her, recalling how the ponies seemed to care for the child during their trek to her castle like home. She was worried at first, but mostly from the sight of an alicorn princess being so close to the little drone.

When they went to tending for the child, she knew then that she didn’t need to be afraid. It was all on their faces, their movements and even the air around them. Ponies lived with their feelings showing, so it was not hard for her to see they didn’t intend for any harm.

But still, the offering of peace to us? The idea didn’t seem to make sense to her. After being taught and told for so long to fear the princess of the sun, the idea of peace seemed impossible.

As soon as Quip and Flick both finish with their report for her, Opulent went into thinking for the best course. If what they said were true, then the only real danger she had to worry about would be from the other changeling heir. This is however, easily remedied. As long as Twilight is in no danger, neither will my clan.

Twilight was obviously a curious mind, she didn’t need her scouts report to tell her this. Just watching the mare look out the window and marvel at her home was enough of a clue. It actually made Opulent’s chest swell with pride that a pony liked her home.

Even the princess, one of the beings that had killed so many of my ancestors, thought it is a marvel. Opulent would admit that she still harbored a fear, as well as some anger, to what was done to her kind so long ago. But the chance to not have to fear them… It seemed too good to be true for her.

After a few more moments of thinking, Opulent used her magic to pick up the nymph, carrying the sleeping child to Quip telling, “Make sure this little sneak is returned to the nursery.” Cracking an amused smile saying, “I‘m sure some of the caretakers are going frantic over her disappearance.”

Quip gave a quick giggle, snatching up the little one into her hooves and flying out a open window as Opulent called out, “Be sure to return back after your task is done!”

Then turned to Flick, Opulent instructing in a more firmer voice, “I would like you to inform our cook that he is to prepare a large meal, fit for a princess. After that is done, go write down your report and mark Spite as MIA before returning to my side.”

Giving the heir a confused look, but still nodding to her orders, Flick about faced and headed for the kitchen. He wasn’t sure why his clan head would wish to mark one of her changelings missing in action, but he didn’t complain. By her will it will be done, he thought, deciding to just follow orders.

As Flick left out another side of the room, Opulent turned to the two wooden doors thinking, I never did like Spite or his sleazy ways. This is just the thing to get rid of him quietly. Smiling to herself, noting to thank the infiltrator heir on getting rid of the sleaze for her.

Opening both doors wide while having her most charming smile on, Opulent could feel curiosity bubble inside of her being at the sight before her. Both the lavender mare and the changing heir sat before the large window overlooking her clan hive, both keeping close to the other. It was a foreign sight for her to see, a pony sitting next to an undisguised changeling.

Nearby the couple sat Luna, also looking out the same window and asking the changeling common that had come with, some questions about the hive. Though standing at attention, both thestral guards took interest in what was being told, but only partially so as they committed most attention to any threats.

Though it was these Lunar guard that spotted her, Opulent could tell the heir just ahead of her knew of her presents. It was a mix of feelings, some times excitement, and other times wariness. In any case, they both were aware of the other heir in the room.

Removing his hoof from Twilight to turn and look at Opulent, Masquerade asked, “Are you ready to proceed?”

Any of those that were distracted turned all attention towards the Quasi clan head, whom nodded her head telling, “Yes, and thank you for your patients.” Motioning them to follow telling, “I have asked a meal to be prepared for us, I do not wish our guest to go hungry.”

All present followed Opulent to the changelings equivalent of a dinning hall, which was more of a large rounded room with a rounded table in it’s center. Like most of the ‘Hive Center’ everything was mostly in a obsidian black and lit with green fire. Extra decorations would be seen about now and then, mostly varying from blues and purples and any cool color.

When approaching the table, Twilight traced her eyes over it, seeing the number of tiers going up from the tables center. At first she was confused by it’s make, but it was made clear when a few drones came in and set down bowls of food. While some of the large plates and bowls were set on the table itself, other smaller bowls or condiments were set on the higher tiers.

This however, still seemed a little confusing to her, as some of the food would be difficult to reach with hooves. Then again, they have access to outside magic like unicorn ponies, the realization dawned to Twilight, seeing why this table would be seen as practical compared to normal tables.

Most food set on the table seemed mostly comprised of a number fruits, followed by different fungi and lastly cooked vegetables. A number of pitchers also were brought in, being placed on hooks at the top of the tiers and were light shown through them.

Masquerade seemed to relax some when the light passed through the drinks held in their glass containers. Feeling confusion and looking to see Twilight's inquiring gaze, he told, “A customary rule in changeling circles is to place drinks in glass and hang them near light.”

As he spoke, the others around turned some of their attention to the heir, whom continued, “The light produced by the center chandelier, can often expose poisons in the drink, and telling if they are safe or not.”

With new curiosity at this information, Luna asked, “Do assassinations truly happen that often?” Looking at the crystal clear drinks that ranged from water, to wines.

“Not really.” Opulent replied while taking a seat, “Only when there are a large number of heirs, or there is an attacking clan.” Looking over her choices before settling on some wine, “Personally, I think we as a species, are just too paranoid for our own good.”
Plucking a mushroom from it’s place in a bowl before eating it.

Seeing as they apparently didn’t need to wait for all the food to arrive, each pony and changeling took a seat at the table somewhere. Luna took her seat nearly a crossed from the changeling head, off to the side so the center tiers were not in her visual range. Both of Luna’s guards took up positions to either side of her, still scanning for the ever lacking guards of the clan.

Roma took a seat next to the guard on Luna’s right, smirking to herself as she thought about messing with the thestrals head a bit. She thankfully, thought better of that, deciding to mess around with the guard on their trip back.

Masquerade and Twilight took a seat that was towards Luna’s left, but was a bit more distanced from them or her guard. Though he had already told Twilight about this during their look over the Quasi clan, Masquerade wondered if the Lunar guard were aware of the eyes on them.

Twilight herself had to keep her mind in check with this fact, always having a slight urge to look up and try spotting the holes made in the ceiling. With the natural dark colors of the building they were in, most would have a hard time spotting the tunnels overhead. It made her slightly nervous to know there was at least one guard up in those shadow hidden tunnels, just waiting to pop out and attack.

Those worries stopped when a glass was put in front of her, being filled with some fruit juice as Masquerade told, “Relax Twinkles, I know you’re a little nervous at how things will work out, but we‘re doing good so far.” Making Twilight smile some, knowing the double meaning behind his words.

Pouring herself some of the wine she was eyeing, Opulent said, “That they are, Malek, that they are.” And returned the pitcher to its place before taking a small sip and savoring the taste for a moment. Reopening her eyes to look at the night princess, she crossed her hooves over the other on the table saying, “I will admit, your coming here is a blessing in disguise rather than a curse.”

Swishing her wine about in its little container, the clan head told, “You have caught the Quasi clan in a almost bad time, and I was at first worried we would have nothing to worry about any more.”

With an understanding nod, Luna presumed, “You believed I was here to possibly wage war or tell of your destruction.” Using her magic to get a glass of her own saying, “Such arrogance would sooner kill me, but I understand why you, yourself would think that when considering our history.”

Taking a sip of the wine supplied, Luna stared at it telling, “If it were not for Twilight Sparkle‘s conviction in Masquerade, we might have considered destroying this place of sanctuary.” Then looked at the bounty of food before her adding, “This however, will not come to pass with light of what has occurred.”

Glancing at the couple, Opulent smiled, “I can see that.” Moving some to allow a drone to place down plate before her, “But I digress, we have agreements to make for this…possible peace?”

Despite the wariness in the heirs voice, Luna gave a sincere smile telling, “Their will be peace, and both myself and my sister believe it to be so.”

Seeing the rest of the plates and food arrive, Opulent told, “Then let us begin.”


Twilight looked over the expanding cavern before her, taking a deep breath of the warm humid air that filled it. It still surprised the mare that this was what the changelings lived in. true, Masquerade had told her what the clan hive was like, but always told that seeing it and telling it were completely different. She now knew why.

It looks exactly like Luna said, a sanctuary. There was no better name for it in Twilight’s mind. It was deep underground, away from prying eyes and hiding those that lived in it. And it was beautiful to her, vibrant and unique on different levels.

“I see your enjoying the view.” Masquerade smiled while looking out into the hive that hummed with life, “Understandable, there‘s nothing like a changeling hive.” Reminiscing in his mind about his own hive of the Malek clan.

Twilight leaned on Masquerade, saying, “I am, and it‘s still a amazing thing to see.” Looking over the area as she spotted changelings of both drone and common.

With a slightly sad smile Twilight told, “I wish my friends were here, they would love to see this.” Knowing she would see them in at least a day or so. Still, Mask was right, telling them would not do this place justice.

Twilight felt a sudden shift in her stallions being, as a once hard cold shell was replaced by soft warm fur. She smiled and nuzzled into the mass of black fur as a hoof was once again place over her. “They‘ll get to see it one day Twinkles.” Masquerade assured with a chuckle, “One day.”