• Published 31st May 2014
  • 9,107 Views, 303 Comments

Acceptance - Riddle-Me-Think



Ponyville is seen as a quaint little town by those who live there, and for Twilight Sparkle, it has all she needs with her friends by her side. When a stranger that she is familiar with comes into town, she finds herself questioning as to what to do

  • ...
24
 303
 9,107

Dissensions

I do not own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic


Twilight sat before her friends and waited for their response as to what she had asked from them. It was nearly an hour latter since they had breached the subject on changelings, and played a game of twenty questions on it. Pinkie Pie won by the way.

It was when Rainbow asked about when she was going to telling Celestia that Twilight found herself, surprisingly, saying no.

When the shock wore off, Rainbow asked “What, why not?” Still completely stupefied by the response the unicorn had given.

With a sigh she told, “I don’t know how she would react. The way Masquerade put it half the time, it was like he was afraid for his kind if she ever knew.” There was also the bit of keeping this as secret as possible.

“I also need to ask you all to promise not to tell anypony about this.” Truthfully, she wasn’t sure if this was a good idea, but Mask had asked her to keep it quiet, so she would. For now.

Shaking out of her own stupor, Applejack called, “Hold up, ya‘ll want us t‘ not tell anypony ‘bout this, or Celestia?” Next to her Pinkie said increasingly louder, “Maybe they can do mind control!”

With a roll of her eyes, Rarity said, “Don’t be ridicules, if it was that simple then Twilight wouldn’t be telling us any of this.” Taking up a cup of tea that was brewed some time after the milk and snacks were gone.

Twilight nodded to her fellow unicorns reasoning, “And as to what you‘re talking about Applejack, yes I don’t want any other pony to know. If things do go sour, then I’ll have Spike send this letter.” And waved the now rolled up latter in her magical grasp.

Any more conversation was stopped by a set of knocks and Pinkie Pie zooming off with, “I got it!”


The news surrounding Sham's statement of Midpoints numbered days of living, sent a sudden sliver fear to come over them. Midpoint, and by extension, one of the clan heads, was not somepony to search and kill easily. Most don’t aim to kill a clan head due to the experience they have.

However, this was not always the case, for example, Masquerade’s father was once clan head before being killed from assassination attempt of both him and his mate. He didn’t live through it, but his mate did, and by default became the next clan head. But in this case, if Midpoint is found dead, it would fall to Sham, as he was a first heir.

But left a question to beg, “Sham, I don’t know how your father could be in too much danger. He was in the capital when I left.”

Sham’s griming features did not convey the same mind sets his cousin saying, “Normally, I would agree with you. But your forgetting something.”

Seeing Mask’s confused look he told, “From what I gathered, you arrived here about two weeks ago, and nearly two week before that, you stopped sending messages to my sisters.” Looking up in thought, he told, “If I‘m piecing the time line right, then you spent one week doing investigations. The next was your leaving. Then the fallowing two weeks were you staying here in Ponyville.”

Giving a confirming nod at Sham’s deductive reasoning, he continued, “That would mean my Father was at the capitol a month ago, yet he left for the capital a week ago.” That was what set warning bells off in every mind in the tent. It was an over sight they had all missed, excluding the one genius.

It was Masquerade to understand the full potential this had, “We have a Infiltrator that is acting out Midpoint back at the capital, and don’t know who he‘s being puppeteer by.” Thinking on it he told, “The only infiltrators that have the skill to fool a changeling like that would be myself, Libel, Rook, and Clip.”

This was not a very long list. Masquerade himself was taking no part in the political debates going on. Libel would be more interested in exposing Masquerade over an old blood feud, and there fore, too busy to do something like this. Rook was the Veron Clan head, and would not be able to take both seats at once. And Clip, though a good infiltrator and had the skill to get the job done with a randomly made disguised, was an idiot by most standards and didn’t know how to act as Midpoint.

Masquerade found it somewhat funny that Clip, despite being an idiot, could number in at being the second best infiltrator. He wasn’t incompetent per-say, it was the fact he was more of an assassin that kills without being noticed rather than acting as somepony.

But this is diverting from the subject at hoof, Masquerade realized with a slight shake of his head, what I should be thinking of is how to expose the fake Midpoint, or find the real one…that’s possibly dead. Pony feathers.

How ever he looked at this, or any other others would look at it, this was a bad situation. Though, it was luckily salvageable in a sense. The acting Midpoint can’t make any large dissensions that would cause suspicion without other clan members investigating. The first heir is aware of the situation, and can make the Gem Clan that is here, disappear. It would not be the fist time a changeling clan had to go into hiding.

“It might be for the best Ivory and Ebony stayed here.” Sham had both eyes closed while in thought, catching the others by surprise at his willingness to let his sisters stay, “Gaining the ponies trust will help us in the long run, and if the Apple Clan are brought into this later on, relations can be accelerated.”

Opening his eyes, he glanced to either side were both sisters sat thinking, it would be best, they will be safe with the ponies, and if I were to get killed, the clan has two heirs. It was a risk, but like Masquerade, it was a calculated one. One that had a good safe number.

Looking to the only Malek in the area, he told, “You best keep them safe, they are part of your responsibility.” He knew both sisters were safe with Masquerade, but his sisters were his only family left by now so emphasis was needed.

A smirk worked its way onto Masquerade’s face, “Sham, between myself, Twinkles, her friends and Ponyville in general, I‘d say they're both fairly safe.” Looking at the two he added, “And if somepony did get up close to the twins, I doubt they’d last long.” The said twins nodded at that, pleased to know that their cousin had faith in there abilities.

Tapping his hoof on the table, Chance asked, “What about the Gem Clan? If thar be a fraud in the capital, then ’ow should we, ya know…” Motioning with his hoof as if it would bring the word to mind.

“Proceed?” Chronicler asked while going back to his notes, “Well, by clan rules alone, you should already know. It would be up to Sham to ether continue our routes or go into complete hiding. During which, the fake will sooner or later slip up and will be seen.” Turning his eyes back, he could not help but sink a bit into Ebony at all the eyes on him and shy away from the sudden attention.

Ebony seemed to not mind the younger changelings uncomfortable state and seemed to lean over more to let him hid behind her fore legs and giggled some while nuzzling him.

Ignoring his recorders sudden shyness and his sisters motherly cooing, Sham told his scout, “We‘re going to continue with our routes. Doing otherwise will alert other element that something is wrong.” Looking to Mettle, he ordered, “I need two of your guard to take my sisters forms now and then, to help hide the fact their both gone.”

Giving a nod to the soon to be head of the Gem Clan, she said, “I know of two twins that can play the part, for how long I can't say, but they are capable.”

Not giving her a second glace, Sham looked back at those at the table before stopping at Masquerade, “I suggest a reprieve from this until later today.”

Looking to their brother, both twins spoke, “Is older brother getting cranky from not having his nap?” Gaining amused grins as they said this.

With a grunt he responded, “You all must admit all this talking and planning is a headache and finding out some facts is hammering away at us.” None didn’t dispute that fact. Both Gem sisters folded their ears at the reminder of their fathers possible demise.

“A short break would do us good, I need to inform those two guards of their new task.” Mettle got up and headed for the tent door, quickly fallowed by Chance who mentioned something about helping her.

With those two gone, the youngest of the group got out from under Ebony saying, “I‘ll go catalog this meeting.” And lit his horn once more to lift the silencing spell before scampering off. Both sisters giggled to themselves at his actions, trading thoughts of how adorable he was.

“Ebony, Ivory.” Sham calmly said, getting there attention, “Why don’t you visit that annoying friend of yours, due to the news?” With subdued nods, they turned to leave but spoke, “Why dot you join us cousin Masquerade, we think you‘ll like this pony!”

Mask rose to take them up on their offer, but a wave of irritation and curiosity stopped him and lightly told the two, “You go on ahead, I think your brother might have a word with me.” Seeing there reluctant nods, they left the tent, and he turned to see what his cousin wanted.

With them gone for the time being, Shame gave Masquerade a pricing look stating, “Don’t let your feelings for that mare get in the way of what needs to be done.” Before the black Unicorn could make any defense he was cut off, “I‘m not against the idea, just don’t let it get in the way of your work.” And walked pass the Malek to find a place to nap and think.

Now alone in the tent, Masquerade could only look up with somewhat pleading eyes, Ancestors of Anarchy, what did I do to disserve to have others hound my love life?

With a heavy sigh, he turned about and left the tent to keep up with the twins and see this friend of theirs, going off into a fast trot.


The three Changelings in disguise made there way into Ponyville with both Gem sisters getting more and more excited. Masquerade smiled as the two began to forget the gloomy situation with their father. Maybe this pony they wish to see had an abundance of love? If so, then any bits given will improve their moods and get the food needed.

Passing up the Golden Oaks library, the faux unicorn could not help but wonder how well Twilights chosen friends were handling the news. That was saying if Twilight decided to actually fall through with it. He admits, this was a very big risk, and having another do his work on something so delicate was nerve wreaking.

I only have five or so months though, he remembered sadly, I just have to trust Twilight and hope my calculations are right. If not, then he and the rest of Equestria were in trouble.

Putting that aside in his mind, he continued to fallow the sisters, who’s mood and energy seemed to build ever so steadily. Rising a brow, he took a tiny taste of the surrounding emotions to get a fix of what could be effecting the two.

Bitter and a tad salty…no that can't be it. Looking to his left with his eyes, he spotted a slumped over pony that held a paper while in deep thought. It could be some sort of bill or a bad news letter, but in either case, it was causing negative emotions. So not what the twins were feeding off of.

A little spicy, someponys angry or annoyed, but not what I’m looking for. He thought, eyes looking to his right were five fillies sat, two on one side, and three on the other. He wasn't sure what they were arguing about, but it was most likely something silly.

Sweet yet tart, I know this emotion very well. Looking to a table, he could see a ever reddening stallion as the mare before him continued to make complements of some sort. Note to self: comment about Twinkles sparkly eyes. He grind, looking forwards to seeing her face and feeling that emotion.

Ah, here it is, that spicy/sweet mix those two love so much! He called in victory before it turned sour with the realization of there is a lot of excitement…and mixed with love too…almost like…

When they came to the gingerbread looking building he had seen a few times during his walks, the door opened to show a pony that had been trying to track him. But recently he was able to put a name to the face. Pinkie Pie.

“Ivory, Ebony!” She called happily, taking them into a large hug. The two Pegasi did likewise, taking the overly pink Pony into their forelimbs saying, “Pinkie Pie of Sugar Cube, it is grand to see you!”

When free from the embrace, both of Pinkies blue eyes moved and spotted an all to familiar figure that had evaded her for far too long. With narrowed eyes she seemed to hiss, “You!”

Despite knowing she was no threat, Masquerade gulped at the tidal waves of pure excitement flowing off her. In a sense, it scared him a pony could give off such an amount of emotion and not be tired, one of the reasons he hid. It was too much for a changeling like him to take all at once without turning into some hyped up pegasus colt on a caffeine sugar rush hybrid run. Even worse still, she recognized him!

“Hi?” He uttered before he, and both Gem sisters, were grabbed and thrown into the building. On reflex, both he and the sisters readjusted themselves during mid flight and landed rather gracefully.

He landed first, using all four limbs to steady his body. Ivory and Ebony were next, having no time to use their wings to fly and just landed on either side of his back in a standing position using their fore-hooves to hold the other up from falling. A third weight was added, as Pinkie Pie somersaulted onto the balancing pegasi‘s shoulders, doing a head stand and calling, “Ta-DA!!!”

Masquerade stood there, unsure how to take the situation fully before a familiar voice broke through the air.

“Mask?” looking to the side, he saw Twilight and Rarity, mixed in with three other mares, one looking familiar to the Apple Clan member he met his first day into town.

“Oh, hey Twinkles!” Masquerade strained from under the balancing act, trying to grin and keep from falling, “What a coincidence meeting you here?” Almost falling to one side at a slight change in balance.

A snicker or two could be heard from the table as a robin blue pegasus with a mane that showed the spectrum of a rainbow said, “Twinkles? You didn't tell us you had another nick name Twi!” Laughing more and more as she did.

Ignoring them for the moment, Masquerade craned his neck to look at the mares on his back saying, “Not to be rude, but do you mind getting off, my legs are starting to wobble.” True, two of the ponies on him were pegasi and therefore lighter in weight, but he was currently in a skinny unicorn body, it was a strain to hold them. Add one earth mare, who were naturally more heavier due to muscle mass and bone density, and you have a potentially squished unicorn.

They thankfully did as told and got off his back, both Ivory and Ebony taking each side while Pinkie bounced back to the table. It was then he started to notice it, now that the excitement radiator was further from him, he could taste something that could be called suspicion.

Looking to either side, he could tell both Gem sisters felt it too, then looked at the table. The Apple Clan pony was giving off the most, looking at mostly the sisters with uncertainty. Rarity gave off something similar towards him, but with hints of curiosity. The pegasus with multi colored mane seemed to give off a hostel emotion directed at him, giving an impression he did something to anger her. In the back was a canary yellow mare that was just unsure and a tad shy.

“I told them.” It was a simple statement, but the full impact of Twilights words gave Masquerade all the information he needed. These five were her friends, and they now knew of changelings. And so far, all but Pinkie Pie didn’t show that they trusted him much.

Looking about the different faces he said, “I see…” Thinking of how to get things moving on, “How about some introductions, I know you, Spike and Rarity, but they are?” And motioned over to the rest of the table.

Motioning for the girls to assemble before him, Twilight introduced, “This is Applejack.” Said mare tipped her hat some, eyeing him as if trying to remember something. “This is Rainbow Dash.” The Pegasus gave a cocky grin while her eye gleamed something that reflected her emotions. “This is Fluttershy.” The shy mare gave a quite hello that was hardly audible to Masquerade, but she meant it.

It was the pink one that shot soon back, right in his face saying, “And I‘m Pinkie Pie, and you buster, are overdue for a party!” Poking his chest a few times.

Looking back into her eyes calmly he told, “Perhaps another time, I‘m still not to open to the idea of seeing too many ponies at a time.” Backing up away from her. He didn’t mind the contact, the emotions tasted great, but there was just too much at once for him to handle!

The sisters giggled at the sight of Masquerades slight discomfort and pulled Pinkie Pie back some, “Cousin Masquerade isn’t much of a touchy pony.” They told her, but turned to their cousin and asked, “But we wonder, what did Twilight Sparkle mean?”

“Twi said tha‘ ya‘ll are changelings.” Both gave a sudden jump at Applejacks voice, as she had somehow snuck up on them, “An‘ I for one, want t‘ hear it from you.” It wasn’t she didn’t believe Twilight, she fully did. Applejack merely wanted to see if the two Gem sisters would admit it openly or try and deceive her.

Both sisters backed away from what they could almost call a part of their family a little scared, unsure of what to say. This was to be a visit with Pinkie Pie to lift their mood after the meeting, but quickly turned into something akin to a interrogation.

“We are…” Embony tried to say, “That is to say…” Ivory began as well, but still not sure what to say. It was hard to fool an Apple Clan member, and nearly nigh impossible to trick Applejack unless given some form of proof.

Still backing away from Pinkie, even know her attention was on the sisters, Masquerade called, “Twinkles.” Looking to him, he said, “Could you close the blinds, things might go faster that way.” Ivory and Ebony gave shocked glances at their cousin who only mouthed “Sham's words.” And reminding them of what Sham had said during the meeting.

Deciding to obligate his request, Twilight brought up her magic that seemed to ring loudly in the quite room as all the blinds and leaving them in darker room. With a flash of emerald green fire running over the unicorn, all the ponies but Twilight, got their first look at a Changeling.

“My word!” Rarity seemed to gasp out with hoof to her mouth at the insect like from before her. Rainbow Dash found herself in a similar state of shock while Fluttershy had taken refuge behind her from the sudden green fire. Applejack could not hold her jaw up at what Masquerade just did, getting an eye full of his imposing and somewhat demanding stance that looked something akin to Luna’s stance last Nightmare Night. Spike only looked on dumbstruck as if his mind had locked up and was unable to process what just happened.

Beside him and somewhat forgotten, the two sisters looked at the other in silent conversation if they should fallow his lead. The idea scared them to no end, but Masquerade did remind them of their brothers words. If they wish to build further trust with the Apple Clan, then it would be best to show themselves.

The only one not bothered by any of this was Twilight, who had seen this before, and Pinkie Pie, who once again was in Masquerade’s personal space.

“Wow, I bet your really good at masquerade parties! Oh, is the green fire natural for change? Why are you standing like Princess Luna, do you know her too? Can you change a pony into another pony if they were in contact with you during the change? Are the holes natural or are they added for effect? If you can change form, how do we know this is your real form? Could you possibly turn things into cupcakes with shape shifting!?”

His stance meant to subdue most, slowly dwindled away as wave after tsunami wave of hyper excited emotional energy washed over Masquerade and forced him to back away from its source. Now he was sure something wasn’t right with her, there was no way a pony, earthen or unicorn, that could give off so much all at once!

The girls watched in mute surprise as the once imposing being began to back away from their hyperactive friend as if too close to a fire. It was even more surprising when both Gem sisters moved to intercept. The stallion, for lack of better term, was relived when both Ivory and Ebony took that time to get between him and the pink mare and take the blunt of the emotions that they rather greedily absorbed.

“Pinkie Pie, please calm yourself.” Ivory asked with flared wings, “Yes, cousin Masquerade isn’t use to such forward attention.” Ebony told with mirrored stance next to her sister.

Tilting her head to the side Applejack asked, “Is it something to do with bein' changelings again?” Giving a pointed look to the sisters who seemed to back up some before giving off large sighs.

Giving their cousin a peeved look, they said, “You owe us a favor and explanation later, cousin.” And then faced the ponies while they let green fire engulfed their bodies to let the disguises drop.

When Ebony’s body was clear of emerald fire, it showed a polished black chitin covering her body while her braided mane stayed in place but was the same greenish blue color and not its gold. Like Masquerade, her eyes possessed a cat like feature while glowing an ever steady green that seemed to send shivers down the ponies spines. The shell where her two gossamer wings sat were black, unlike her cousin, and held a green tint to it.

Ivory, on the other hoof, was completely different coloration, being a bleached white for her chitin and a sappier blue shell that tinted green. Again, her mane stayed mostly the same, but held a much greater shade of blue than either other changeling in the room.

Tension hung in the air as both Gem and Apple clan members stared at the other. For years both groups had trusted the other with a number of things, mostly business biased. Right now, Applejack was going through the same thing Twilight had gone through the previous day. These two Gem Clan members knew her since she was a filly, and she knew them since they were fillies.

Slowly walking up to them, Pinkie wisely stepped aside to let the apple farmer past and stand before the Changelings. The orange mare stared them down and could see them wanting to look away, as if it hurt to look at her eyes.

Ivory briefly looked back to Masquerade for some kind of guidance, but the second heir for the Malek Clan gave nothing, standing calmly now that the emotional overload was gone from him. Seeing he wasn’t going to help with this, she turned towards her sister some, who mirrored her and looked back. They had no idea how to explain any of this to their long time friend from the Apple Clan, or if she would take anything they said.

Seeing as they were reluctant to say the first word, she said, “Jus‘ tell me one thing.” And got them to look up some at her words, “Was all these years, jus‘ some ruse for ya‘ll t‘ get fed up like some kin‘ of all ya can eat buffest?”

Both heads shot up at that and shouted in buzzing unison, “We would never do such a thing Applejack! The very idea to consider you nothing more then some free to grab meal would be nearly barbaric!”

Applejack back peddled away from the two in surprise at the reaction of her words. She had apparently hit a nerve with the changelings who looked more then a little upset.

Hanging their heads at the frightened feeling Applejack gave off they said, “We are sorry.” Solemnly scuffing the wooden floor, “We should have not yelled, but you must understand that saying such things as you did bring up…bad history of our kind.”

Curious at this new turn of information, Twilight got up and walked towards them asking, “What sort of history?”

“The kind that others would prefer to forget and never know.” Masquerade’s voice echoed strongly, happy that he was clear of the influence Pinkies emotions had, “The kind that you know, but wish not to. Like Equestrias wars that took place a thousand years prior.”

Being sure he was still behind the two Gem sisters and away from the pink mare, he continued, “At one point, my kin have only sought to fill themselves and not care for the consciences. It is the same thing that has caused us to hide in plane sight for our own protection.” All ponies gave a slight shiver at how his deep buzzing voice echoed these words, and his eyes seemed to look through them.

Deciding to ask what was on all their minds, Fluttershy asked, “W-what a re y-you hiding from?” And making the second Malek heir pause in thought.

Both sisters looked to him and voiced, “Don’t you dare tell them Masquerade!” Trying to dissuade their cousin from making things even more complicated, “You have told them enough as it is!”

“Have I?” He questioned them, “Have I truly told them too much? Because the way I see it, any more I tell them will only clear things up.” As he continued to glare at the two, they glared back unmoving on the subject. The ponies and one dragon watch the sparks fly between the changelings and waited.

It was Masquerade that relented and snorted saying, “They will need to be told sooner or later, and I say sooner would be better.” Deepening their own glares at him, the sisters said, “We think otherwise, cousin of ours.”

Nodding to them he told, “Fine, but just remember my words.” Then turned to the ponies in thought and looked over each one, after which he put his unicorn disguise back up and headed towards the door saying, “You girls can stay if you want, I think I‘ll head back to the camp and talk with your brother some more.”

“Wait, your ditching us?” Rainbow Dash glared at his retreating form and got ready to get up and block his path. She had a bone to pick with him still and didn’t want him to leave. She would not let him slide on Twilight's breakdown.

Giving a small glance back he told simply, “No, I‘m only going to make sure certain things are dealt with before the Gem Clan leaves.” Reaching the door and lighting his horn, the two sisters quickly put up their dinguses just as the door opened up.
Before he even had a chance to move out, Twilight asked in a suspicious voice, “Your still not shy around groups, are you Masquerade?”

“Not in the least Twinkles, not in the least!” Masquerade called out and almost rushed out the door, closing it rather loudly. Silence fell for a moment, but was broken by two sisters in pegasus forms laughing and giggling. Looking form the door to the sisters Twilight smirked, “He is still shy around others I take it?”

Seeing them nod, Twilight chuckled to herself saying aloud, “Has Masquerade ever told the story the time he some how got stuck in the fillies room?” Finding all heads turn to her, mostly the Gems, she could only think, this is for all those embarrassing stories Mask.