• Published 31st May 2014
  • 9,066 Views, 303 Comments

Acceptance - Riddle-Me-Think



Ponyville is seen as a quaint little town by those who live there, and for Twilight Sparkle, it has all she needs with her friends by her side. When a stranger that she is familiar with comes into town, she finds herself questioning as to what to do

  • ...
23
 303
 9,066

Unexpected Delivery

I do not own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic


With steady wing beats and carefully memorized eye of her surroundings, one blue pegasus flew quickly a crossed the skies above Equestria with her white mane flowing naturally in the wind. In her hooves she clung onto a box, a delivery given to her by her brother's as a request.

She didn’t question how they retrieved such valuable cargo, or why it was at their own home, but never the less she was tasked, if not asked, to bring it to the receiver.

Pink eyes scoured the land below, looking for her destination she was searching for. For a moment she thought about where she was going, trying to remember its name. Poloville? And shook her head at that.

Pansyville…no that’s not it. Popyville?…no, still wrong… After a few moments her mind found the word she was looking, Ponyville, that’s it! Shaking her head as if to wonder how she could not remember.

How could I forget, this is that town Cloudsdale gonna use to fill their water storage. That was about as far as she knew really, seeing as it was Spite Fire’s turn to oversee the next water transfer. Personally, she didn’t like the whole overseeing task.

Granted the praise was nice, but she would rather stay in her quarters and study up on flight patterns, tactical usage of deployment, and resource efficacy. After I get at least five hours of flight time, otherwise I’d get board out of my mind, she cracked a smile, spotting the wanted town in the distance.

“Masquerade, here I come.” Fleetfoot smirked some, doing a nose dive into the town. Nearly last second, the wonderbolt did a loop to slow down and miss the ground, touching down smoothly as she did. Just as quickly, she moved the box from her forelegs to her back, balancing it so it didn’t feel uncomfortable

She smirked to herself, going through each calculation she had made during the whole dive and playing with the numbers in her head like a game. Looking about the rural town around her, Fleetfoot frowned a bit as she tried to think of how she would locate her old friend of the family.

Thinking back to what she was told, he was currently staying with one of the Elements themselves, Twilight Sparkle. Part of her smirked at the thought, amused how her two older siblings complained that they could not get to fiddle around with such magical items.

Probably for the best, she nodded internally, knowing those two numbskulls, they would build some machine that would blow up from overloading reactor or something. She wasn’t sure if it would be the reactor, but for geniuses, her brothers certainly make plenty of ‘progress in motion’ explosions.

Looking around, the pegasus had to admit the little town was nice, and the weather was well managed for being so close to the Everfree. The surrounding townsfolk were welcoming and the air was filled with energy. It was nice vacation spot from what she could tell.

Looking around, she smiled at the sight of a mare moving a cart of tomato’s, deciding to ask for directions. With a charming smile she called, “Excuse me!” Stopping the mare, “I need directions to one Twilight Sparkle?”

Looking Fleetfoot up and down she asked rather rudely, “Who wants to know?” Giving a rather board look.

Scrutinizing the mare herself, Fleetfoot could distinctly tell something was off. Everything looked right, but it was a distinct feeling she got only from certain ponies. With an absent wave she told, “I can tell your busy.” To which the earth mare snorted, “So I‘ll just go someplace else?”

With one last look she told, “Fine by me, after all, all I‘m giving out today are tomato‘s and nothing else.” Turning her head away and moved on.

With her own snort, she walked off muttering, “Stupid vendor.” looking for another source of information. It actually surprised her how much her brothers forgot to mention where to find this mare, or if she actually lived here.

She took another moment to think of who to ask again before both ears perked up from a gasp of, “Whoa, Fleetfoot!” And rolled her eyes, not really in the mood to deal with fans.

“Please not now, I‘m looking for a friend of mine and--” Turning round to address the pony that was most likely some adoring fan, halting all words seeing who was before her, “Hey, aren’t you the winner of the best fliers competition, Rainbow Dash right?”

The pegasus mare before the wonderbolt nearly squee’d in excitement at being remembered. Doing her best to hold down her excitement, she beamed, “Yep that’s me!” Unable to hold down her wings that were shaking with her energy, “Winner of the Best Young Flyer competition!”

Chucking at the younger mares radiating excitement, Fleetfoot told, “Well, as much as I want to talk, I got this package to deliver.” Gesturing to the wooden box.

“You said you were looking for a friend.” Rainbow nodded before asking, “Does he happen to like putting on performances?” Remembering the conversation she had with the stallion about the wonderbolts identity.

Lifting a brow she asked, “You know Masquerade?” Curious how the ever illusive stallion would make friends with somepony like Dash.

With a cocky smirk she said, “Yeah, at first I didn’t like the guy, being such a actor he was.” Not noticing the slight narrowing of Fleetfoot’s eyes, “But we came to an understanding later on and I have to say, he‘s a pretty cool guy.”

Thinking on it, the white mane mare asked, “Could you show me to him, this box isn’t getting any lighter.” Referring to her burden that she had lugged all the way from her families house. Lazy brothers, saying their too busy with ‘work’ to do this themselves.

With an eager nod she told, “Sure thing, follow me!” Flying overhead towards Golden Oaks Library.


A fidgeting hoof continuously tapped on the wooden floor was lavender eyes scanned the book before them, only halfheartedly committing it to memory. Twilight felt nervous, or more accurately, anxious for a letter to come at any moment.

The following events at the changeling party had somehow brought her closer to Masquerade in some sense, one she didn’t fully understand. So far, each book she looked into has given her a plethora of information, but none of it seemed to give her the answer she was searching for.

She had read about the effect love has on a pony. She had read the physiology behind most ideas of how a pony perceives love. She had even gone on to read a few romance novels the Gems loved so much to glean anything at all. But all she got was a big headache trying to puzzle it out.

The number of things love could range from could be as simple and innocent as love shared with friends, or as wild and carnal as can be with those who like its touch. There was also love that a mother had for their child, one that would cause them to do the impossible, or the love two beings shared with one another.

She would think with all this time, they would have some books on how to solve problems like these, but to her dismay the possible answers she got were mostly suggestions and ideas that could work to further a relationship. And those were from pamphlets left out for free, so they were unreliable.

So, after three days of this, she finally broke down and sent a letter to the one pony that could give her any real advice with nearly a thousand years experience backing her up.

However, that letter was sent last night, and so far she had yet to get a reply, so it was understandably messing with her mind. What if she decides not to answer? Was I wrong in thinking the Princess would know what to do? No, of course not, she probably busy with work! Unfortunately, all her bottled up feelings were drawing the attention of the one who started the whole dilemma.

I have to figure up what is up with Twinkles. It wasn’t a thought to remind Masquerade, rather a statement of what he should do. The only problem was he didn’t know what was wrong. Twilight had tendency’s to get finicky over things, or overreact now and then, but this was different.

Looking to his bags, he used his magic to pluck up his favorite white smiling mask from it’s place and got up to check on the unicorn that was still fidgeting. He gave a light tap to alert her, only to get a gasp and a jump from the mare with a spike of panic.

Toughly concerned, but not deviating from his plan, he grind, “Relax Twinkles, it‘s just me.” Enjoying some of her embarrassment she gave off, “What has you so worked up these last few days, some big project for miss sunshine?”

Lightly swatting the stallions foreleg she told, “Mask, that is no way to address the Princess, even if in privet.” Trying her best to keep some amusement down.

Rolling his eyes playfully he lamented, “Whoa’s me, you didn’t smile, am I losing my touch?” And looked as if he got the proverbial light bulb over his head, “Wait a moment.” Levitating his mask in front of Twilight saying, “HA, now your smiling, I win!”

Unable to hold her amusement, she giggled at his antics and gently pushed the ceramic mask away with her hoof, smiling, “Did you just come over here to fool around, or did you have a real reason to be over here?”

Looking as if struck he said, “Twinkles, are you saying I can't just walk over to say hi?”

Rolling her own eyes this time she told, “You don’t do things for no reason Masquerade, you always have some reason when you did something, big or small.” And gave a pointed look as if she caught him.

“But do you know the reason, or are you assuming there is a reason because that’s what I commonly show?” He grinned, making the mare stop and consider that. It was possible he did things for no reason, but she could not remember a time he hasn’t done something like that.

Gazing at him she could only think, crazy as he can seem, there is always a method to his madness, smirking slightly, “Your just trying to throw me off.”

Masquerade gave a return grin saying, “Bravo, you‘re catching on.” Getting up and going back to his space to put away his mask.

She smiled, feeling more relaxed after that little tidbit of bantering the stallion seemed to enjoy doing with her. After doing it so much with him for the last month and two weeks, she could say she was enjoying the challenge of his speech craft and trying to out do it.

Thinking about it, she noticed there was something about how he teased her. How he used his words to pluck at her, but still was careful at how he did so. Thinking about Rainbows words about him, she called, “Masquerade.”

Turning his head from his things to give Twilight his full attention she said, “I-- ah, I have a question.” Taking a gulp of air to calm herself.

Seeing this shift in her whole being, he nodded, waiting for her to ask the question that was no doubt plaguing her for nearly two weeks now. It had caused him for some concern, and found himself intervening at different times to make sure she was alright.

I can do this, just ask him how he feels…no big deal. she assured herself and built up her nerve asking, “Mask, do you--”

The banging on the front door stopped them from going on as Spike yelled from somewhere, “I got it!” Running past the two.

Silence fell between them and Twilight felt that same nerve just evaporate in moments after she spent so much time gathering it. She wasn’t sure if she wanted to ask with others around, it was hard enough to ask him in private.

The changeling in unicorn body went to tell Twilight to ask her question, only to find a voice call for his attention, “Delivery for one Masquerade!” And turned his head to a familiar sight.

“Fleetfoot?” He asked curiously while getting up and feeling her out, “What are you doing here, thought you would be with training recruits or something?” Wondering what the wonderbolt was doing here.

Tossing her head to the box on her back she repeated, “Got a package for you, straight from my brothers.” Trying to get it off gently.

“Here, let me help.” Rainbow Dash said, flying up to get a good hold and bring it to the floor.

Both unicorns moved from their places to meet up with the new pony with Twilight commenting, “Well, I certainly didn’t expect to see another heir to show up.”

Fleetfoot froze in place for a moment before looking up to mask saying in a quiet voice, “You mean Bard and Yellow Jacket weren‘t kidding about you telling ponies about us?” Looking between the two mares in the room.

With a risen brow he asked, “What are you scared of, you use explosives as a weapon.” Not giving a glance at the alarmed looks that two ponies and one entering dragon gave.

She glared saying, “I use them carefully, not toss them about like a maniac Masky.” Shoving the box saying, “Anyways, I‘m sure you‘ve been waiting for these for a long time.”

With widening eyes and an egger look, Masquerade lifted the box and put it aside and tore into the box, acting much like a colt on Hearths Warming Eve.

“Wow, what’s got you so worked up bug boy?” Dash asked, surprised at the eagerness the stallion used to attack the box with to get it’s contents.

With a somewhat foreboding and low laugh he told, “Something I‘ve missed for much too long and could have used weeks ago.” Removing the last object in the way to pull out a belt with somewhat triangle shaped holsters on either side.

Looking around, he closed the windows with his magic and hastily transformed into his changeling form, making the others jump for a moment. He didn’t pay them any mind and put the belt around his waist and fastening it. Just as quickly he turned back, belt adjusting to his changes.

Looking him over Twilight asked, “Are those sword sheathes?” Now understanding when he mention how he like using swords. But something seemed off about the sheaths, mostly because of their triangle like shape.

“So, you duel wield swords?” The speedster asked, trying her best not to sound awed at the idea of seeing a pony fight with two swords.

Grinning he told, “No, I like to use Blades one at a time, much easier to use one sword at a time.” Getting a glint in his eye that Twilight was familiar with, right went he was going to do something.

With a raised brow the pegasus asked, “You named both your swords blades?” Not impressed at the name at all.

With a snicker he told, “No, that’s just the acronym for them all.”

Now understanding why the sheaths looked off, Twilight along with the others got a front row seat as he used his magic to grab not two, but six swords out. The unicorn mare gave another look over on the sheath, noting that two of the swords in a sheath would be closest to the body, while the third would be on the outside bump making the triangle shape.

With some flare, Masquerade moved them as one, making the sharp edges glint with what light there was and dance about with his practiced control. He soon stacked them into a line, only showing one sword. Twilight took that moment to look at the two foot sword, from tip to pummel.

Ten inches were used for the hilt, going from pummel to guard. The other twenty inches was the sword itself, being one-and-half-inch inch wide from blade to back, and looked to be on one-forth’s of an inch thick.

At first she was rather impressed at the black sword with silver edge looked. But that was changed when he separated them, show that even know they shared the same shape to some extent, they each were made differently.

Holding up the first one that had a number of edged teeth with a sharpen tip, Masquerade told while holding a maniacal like grin, “This is Barb, used for gripping, pricing, ripping and tearing.” Then pulled it back.

The next had no edge on either side but its tip, and had six holes going up its length, a indented line connecting them all, “This is Lace, used as a focuses point for my magic and to cast some spells while wielding it.” Before pulling it back too.

The next was like the first sword they saw before Barb, but unlike it the blade was on the back side rather the front, “This is Angle, used to cut in a different direction, and good for confusing opponents.” And pulled that back as well.

The next one was almost like Lace, having a sharp tip, but all the rest was blunt steel that had some form of words on its length, “This is my anti-magic sword, Disarray, used to block, stop or dispell magic.”

The next one had a rather thick blade near the bottom half, but the top was missing some of itself, making a hook like end with a sharpen tip, “Ensnare is what I named this one, used for disarming or catching a running target.”

Then he brought up the last one, the one they first seen, “And this is Saber, the basic sword most are familiar with.” Bringing all swords up he said, “Together they are B.L.A.D.E.S.” And sheathed them all at once with a cheerful smile, “Any questions?”

For a moment none were asked.

But soon enough, Dash asked the most obvious, “Isn‘t that all heavy?” Thinking how so much weight could slow the changeling down.

He gave a shrug saying, “Not as much as it would. I mainly sent it to the Lue brothers to help make a better enchantment for the sheaths to reduce weight.” Shifting in place he nodded, “And they did, feel more lighter then last time.”

Thinking it over Twilight asked, “What about Disarray, how are you able to hold on to it if magic doesn’t work on it?” Not able to comprehend the problem.

Pulling out the sword in question, he showed where his magic was gripping. Looking at it, Twilight saw that the handle grip was made of a different material that was nearly as dark as the sword, allowing for grip. With her curiosity sated, she nodded and he returned it to it’s place.

It was Fleetfoot who asked next with, “Why was it in the hooves of my brother’s, besides that enchantment?” She as a changeling heir knew that a weapon was something special, more so for heirs as they commonly make their own and name them. A strange tradition she didn’t understand.

With another grin he told, “Well, I had this idea I wanted to do, but didn’t have any skill in it. So I sent Blades over to them with a letter of what to do.” Seeing their expectant faces he said, “If they did their job right, then these little sharp friends of mine can now launch out much faster.”

“What does that mean?” Spike asked in confusion, “Do you, what, throw them?”

Looking around, Masquerade asked, “How good are your shielding spells Twinkles?” And focusing his eyes on the basement door.

“Alright I suppose, why?” She asked suspiciously.

With a jaunty trot to the door he told, “An experiment and demonstration is in order!” Opening the door and waving for them to follow him down.

Seeing no other reason not to, they all made their way to the door and down the stairs. At the bottom, the black stallion waited patiently and said, “Now, if you would please put up a shield over yonder, I can show you what I mean.” Gesturing to the far side of the room.

Wondering what he was up to, but deciding to do as asked, Twilight lit her horn and cast a shielding spell her brother had taught her. The pinkish hued bubble formed on the wall, ready to hold against the oncoming attacks.

With his maniacal grin back, Masquerade lit his own horn in its green magic, using it to power a more newer array made into the sheath while also sending some to grip Lace. As soon as his magic touched the hilt, the sword went flying out like a canon and impacted the shield with a loud clang.

Twilight gave the slightest winch at the blow, feeling the force in the blow, giving her a clue that it would make a nasty bruise. The shield was smaller then what she normally made, and wasn’t fully powered, but for this demonstration, it was all she needed.

“That was awesome!” Rainbow cheered while the sword floated back, “That‘s what you had those eggheads do?” Looking on in excitement at the weapons.

With a smirk he told, “Down girl, their mine and only mine.” Sheathing Lace into it’s place.

Rolling her eyes at the stallion, the wonderbolt said, “Yes, I think we understand that.” Making her way upstairs, “I don’t know about you, but I‘m heading home. I only have so much free time before I have to head back to the team.”

Waving up to her, Masquerade called, “It was nice to see you again Fleet, say thanks to those brothers of your for me!”

Looking up to one of Equestria’s greatest fliers, Rainbow Dash rushed up after her calling, “Hey, you don’t mind if I tag a along a bit do you?” Getting Masquerade to chuckle at the wonderblts fan.

Stretching some Spike told, “Well, lunch is soon, so I think I‘ll go fix something up.” And left up the stairs too, leaving only the unicorns in the lab.

Next to him, the lavender mare looked at the swords with wonderment and some unease, and was unable to stop herself from asking, “Have you ever used them on a pony?” Only realizing afterwards what she said and covered her mouth.

Looking to her, he used his magic to bring each sword out and place them on a table, waving to her to go on and look at them. While she did so, the door upstairs closed, signaling everypony had left.

The first one Twilight was looking over was Disarray. She felt a rather large unease about this sword the most, seeing as it was meant to be anti-magical.

“Twelve.” The word snapped the mare out of her thoughts as Masquerade said, “That’s how many confirmed kills I‘ve made with Disarray.” And moved up to it himself continuing, “One griffin, nine unicorn, and two changeling.”

Twilight gave the sword another uneasy look before looking to Lace. Again, Masquerade told, “Fourteen kills, five diamonds dogs, four changelings, and five griffins.” And shook his head saying, “I preferred those deaths more, as they died in their sleep inside an illusion.”

Giving a look she said, “You don’t like it, do you?” Seeing him look over each sword as if remembering the kill count with each one, “Taking the…taking the life of another?”

With far off eyes he said, “It‘s something I don’t like to talk about.” Running a hoof over saber gently and remembering the first time it tasted blood, “Knowing that you have to take away something that is irreplaceable…it hurts in some sense, knowing they will never come back.”

He then looked over to Barb, remembering it’s first time tasting blood, “I remember them sometimes.” Gingerly lifting Barb from it’s place with his magic, “The ones I had to assassinate or kill because they were a threat.”

Twisting it in his grasp Mask said, “Eighteen confirmed kills, all griffin…” And ran his hoof down its teeth, knowing it would not cut him if he went down with them.

He looked over to a somewhat scared, but also concerned Twilight. He knew she wanted to know what was wrong, why he was in pain at that moment.

Sighing, he floated Barb over to her. At first Twilight was reluctant to take it up, but slowly, she let her own magic mingle with his. She felt the cold chill his magic had, taking bits of her own emotion, but also restrained in a way not to take it.

When he let go and allowed her to hold the weapon that had slain so many he said, “It was winter, three years after I left the school. It was my first infiltration mission alone.”

Twilight listened in to him as she moved the sword around, feeling it’s weight and balance, “The Veron had gotten Intel that there was a group of griffins that had discovered an old clan hive.” Looking up to the stallion who looked off into space he went on, “I was sent in to confirm and possibly sabotage any and all findings that confirmed of our existence.”

“I did as asked, infiltrating their ranks as one of their own and finding out all I could.” He blinked his eyes as he fought back some tears that threatened to come out, but held them back, “I made friends with each one of them. Knew how they thought, fought and worked within the week.”

Seeing his difficulty, Twilight placed barb down with its siblings and sat next to the infiltrator, rubbing his back. It seemed to help, and he seemed to calm some saying, “Turned out it was a old clan hive…but it wasn’t uninhabited.”

Seeing him pause and seemingly hold his breath, she lightly pressed, “What happened?”

Looking to her, Masquerade asked, “Are you sure you wish to know?” Making sure she knew he was not holding back anything. Seeing her nod he continued, “It belonged to a Blood caster…a changeling that used fear and paranoia to power these…”

A look of fury came upon his eyes as they reverted back to his cat ones, some tears spilling while hissing, “Vile and unacceptable magic’s to grace this world.”

She was afraid to ask, knowing he dodged the questions about changelings that used fear, greed and envy to power their magic and bodies, “What…” She cleared her throat to removing anything blocking it, asking more clearly, “What do they do?”

He remained silent for a time, mulling over his words, not wanting to talk about it. I need to talk about it at some point, his mind conceded and nodded, “Blood casters can become victim to extreme paranoia and hallucinations…using their magic to control others bodies or sacrificing them to use their blood as a weapon or a means to aid themselves.”

Twilight felt her stomach flip and eyes go wide at the idea of using magic in such a horrid way. She didn’t need to ask what happened next as he continued for her, “I don’t know his name, but he used this magic to turn them all on each other, and soon enough I had to fight for my life.”

Looking to Barb he told, “I made my first kill that day, following my instincts of self preservation and forced to kill eighteen griffins I called friend before I could reach the one responsible for doing that to them.”

The Infiltrator closed his eyes tightly, remembering how each one fell. Some were controlled by the Blood casters magic, moving their bodies against their wills. Others were ambushed and turned into emotionless husks that had no will to live, and so followed the casters orders. The last ones gave into paranoia, attacking the others thinking they were the changeling in disguise.

He didn’t notice the tears work their way to the ground as he said, “I can hear them still you know, feel their pain and taste their fear…” He gulped hard, using his will to continue on, “Only one of the twenty-five made it out, and she had nearly lost her mind from everything that had happened.”

Twilight hugged him close, giving comfort in the only way she knew how at the movement, “I couldn’t kill her, not after I had done…”

Looking down he said, “I broke the rules and took a risk by using the best illusion I could craft with Lace, and made her believe that everypony but her died because of a monster.”

Slumming he smiled, “She believed it, and got to live while I was forgotten. Never to be discovered again in the snowy peeks along with a destroyed clan hive.”

Masquerade quieted down, taking comfort in the mares embrace that was keeping him strong and heard her ask, “What was her name?”

With a rueful smile he told, “Gale…her name was Summers Gale.” And let a few more tears drop before rubbing them away, “She was a good friend. So optimistic and hopeful…And trusted me when I asked her to trust me one last time before she would never see me again.”

He got up and moved over to his swords, picking them up one by one to put them away. Watching as he did this she said, “Thank you for telling me.” Causing him to pause, “That can’t be easy to talk about.”

Nodding he said, “Never is, and I hope it always will be.”


Twilight sighed in contentment with a smile while rereading the same book she had only skimmed over earlier that day. She didn’t rush her reading much though, still thinking over what Masquerade had told her.

After he had left for his little corner up the stairs, the stallion had gone and disappeared again, this time leaving Blades bundled up with a now very burnt cloak.

After some time she had come to realize that the story he told her about his first kill --or kills if she thought about it more literally-- worked into his shyness in meeting new ponies.

He made friends with those griffins, learned how they acted and seemed to understand them very well. Then he felt that he had betrayed them when he was forced to kill them so he could live. All his mission was, was to make sure the changelings as a whole were kept an unknown or a myth.

I can’t imagine what he had gone through after all that…gives a new perspective of being afraid of making friends. The Element of magic thought while going over the next line, finding it less interesting than what she was thinking.

“Hey Twilight.” Spike greeted while carrying a bowl of fruit to the table for his lunch.

With a nod she greeted, “Hello Spike.” And went back to her reading.

“Hey Twilight.” Spike greeted while carrying a bowl of gems to the table for his lunch.

Nodding again she returned, “Hello Spike-- wait…” Stopping herself to look at the duo who both mirrored the other as they ate. Blinking at the sight, Twilight worked out that Masquerade decided to play another one of his pranks and roped the drake into it.

Stopping themselves from taking the next bite of their respective meals, both Spike’s looked to Twilight asking, “Something up Twilight?” In near unison.

“Mask, what are you doing?” She asked slowly, darting her eyes between the identical dragons and trying to figure out which one was the real one.

With them both smirking they told, “Well, getting something to eat of course!” And dug back into eating.

She looked between the two, trying to figure out who was her assistant, and who was the changeling. She watched the two as they ate, feeling a little hungry herself.

Looking from his bowl to the gems, Spike asked his doppelganger, “Trade ya a pear for a emerald?”

Eyes locking onto the offered fruit, the other replied, “Sure thing!” Tossing a sought out emerald for the green fruit.

“Ah-ha!” Twilight exclaimed, making one Spike fumble with his gem while the other caught the fruit with little trouble while looking to her. This only made her smile further and point to the Spike with the fruit bowl, “You’re the real Spike!” And point to the one with the gem bowl, “And your Masquerade!”

The two stood still while looking to the mare in some shock. It was then the Spike at the gem bowl began to laugh and quickly change back to Masquerade saying, “Oh, good job Twinkles!” Pushing the bowl with gems to Spike.

Eagerly, the small dragon pushed the fruit bowl towards the changeling and practically dived into the gems before him with gusto. With his grin Masquerade asked, “How‘ed you figure it out?” Enveloping the pear from before to take a bite.

Pointing to her assistant she told, “Spike asked for an emerald, one of his favorite gems.” And then to the stallion saying, “And you took the offer just as quickly as he gave it out, proving further you were the fake.”

Getting up to tap the table they sat at she further explained, “But it was my shout that really did it, as you seem to always keep collected even with sudden surprises.”

Masquerade cloped his hooves together with a beaming smile, “Bravo Twinkles, bravo!” While also thinking, now to work on her lying skills.

She gave a shy smile at the sudden praise, but took it anyways. A burp sounded through the room as a scroll dropped from the green fire that had come from Spike.

Looking from the letter to spike, the second heir asked, “Spike, were you eating scroll while none of us were looking?”

With a playful glare the dragon told, “You know Celestia sends letters through me, why ask now if I eat any?” Grinning as if he caught the stallion in his own words.

Tapping his chin he told, “Well, you were just eating, and you do burp after you eat stuff, so…” He dragged on with his returning grin as the dragon gave an annoyed look.

Ignoring the two boys, Twilight snatched the letter and excused herself while grabbing a few books she had been reading. Masquerade watched curiously, but didn’t bother asking with why she wanted privacy.

Closing the door to her room and giving a sigh of relief, Twilight dropped all her book off at the nearest table while she opened the letter reading--


My faithful student, I can not say much on the subject to you, as it is something that can escape even my grasp at times.

To love another can mean many things, as you no doubt have researched on your own so far. The Love your asking about however, is something that is gained when two ponies are willing to set aside some of their differences for the other’s happiness, and doing so unconditionally.

I will admit this subject can be difficult to explain, as I have only come a crossed such feelings once or twice in my long life. It is not something that can be put into words, only felt.

From your teacher: Princess Celestia

PS. I feel I should ask, who is this young stallion that has taken interest in my dear student of mine?


Twilight reread the last line over and over, trying her best to figure out how Celestia had figured out she was the mare of interest. She had quadruple checked her letter to make sure she was not the target of this whole problem. To double things, not even her teacher could give her a straight answer!

With a loud groan, Twilight fell face-first to the floor grumbling, “I give up!”