• Published 31st May 2014
  • 9,065 Views, 303 Comments

Acceptance - Riddle-Me-Think



Ponyville is seen as a quaint little town by those who live there, and for Twilight Sparkle, it has all she needs with her friends by her side. When a stranger that she is familiar with comes into town, she finds herself questioning as to what to do

  • ...
23
 303
 9,065

The meeting to Come

I do not own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic


Mornings in the castle were slow going, as many of the staff didn’t need to rush themselves due to the schedule that help keep things in order. Guards would rotate with a fresh team every five hours, allowing for some breaks and rest before the next shift or task. Servants for the morning shifts woke at the crack of dawn and prepare the morning meals that were sometimes sent off to the varying staff in the castle.

It was all like a well made clock, each part moving at precise moments to keep everything on schedule at all times. This was also the same reason Masquerade was walking through the halls with an amused smile on his muzzle as the ponies all about him did their daily duties.

Making another turn in the vast halls that made up most of the castle, the changeling couldn’t help but glace about the place with some familiarity. He remembering running down these halls, laughing and giggling while he chased after Twilight, or get carried along in her magic when she was excited about a book she had heard of.

Has it really been that long? Masquerade questioned to himself while nodding to another servant as a greeting. Part of the changeling wondered how things had come to be as they were, how he was here in Canterlot, possibly a day away from introducing the Lue and Gem clans for what they were.

The thought slightly scared him, but the Malek heir knew that the two co-rulers would hear them out for this. They were right about the dangers and needing to know more. The Lue clan would be their greatest support, as they already have their hooves in pony politics, militia and research groups.

It was only now Masquerade was realizing how safe the Lue were in all of this. If a fallout were to happen, the Lue were already so deeply planted in the ponies world, they were all but safe. The Gems, though part of the economic circle, could be replaced with another group like the Apple Clan. But even then the Gems were fairly safe because they were nearly family with that Clan. Even more so with Ebony and Ivory getting so close with Macintosh.

Spotting the door to Twilight's personal room, Masquerade gave another smile and knocked on the door, completely ignoring the two guards that eyed him, “Twinkles, I have something for you!”

Eagerly standing in place, Mask waited for a few moment for the door to be opened by his tiered --but still stunning-- fillyfriend who gave a curious look saying, “Good morning Mask, what do you have for me?”

Lighting his magic, Masquerade lifted a silver tray that had a cup of coffee, a cup of apple juice, a bowl of fruit and a plate with a lid over it. With a cheerful chirp he told, “Breakfast!”

Twilight smiled and moved aside to let the stallion in and set the assorted tray onto the table in the room while she closed the door. She walked up to the now set table, seeing the plate with hidden food and inviting coffee on her end.

Looking past that and to the black unicorn, she saw him happily munch away at the bowl of fruit and take sips of fruit juice. She lightly shook her head thinking, changelings and their fruit, gaining an amused smile as she lifted the lid from her plate.

Underneath were two eggs sunny-side down and four hay-bacon strips, with a rather delicious looking--

Blinking at what she saw, Twilight looked up to the changeling saying, “Mask, did you do what I think you did?” And pointing to her plate.

Looking up at the mares breakfast, the stallion asked, “What do you think I did?” Popping a grape into his mouth.

With narrowed eyes the mare said, “This is a cake…and if I‘m right, Celestia’s cake.”

Peeking an eye open Masquerade said, “You don’t say?” Looking the treat up and down before saying, “Nopony told me it was hers.”

“Did you ask anypony?” Twilight pressed.

Rolling his eyes the infiltrator told, “Twinkles, I asked what plates to touch, and what plates not to touch, and did as instructed.” Whiling thinking, that doesn’t mean I can't touch the food that’s on the plate. Chuckling on the inside as he did.

Twilight held eye contact for three seconds before sighing and taking up the fork that was on the plate and began to eat. Like all those times before, Twilight could not help but take guilty pleasure in having such delicious, creamy and fluffy cake that her teacher adored.

Her smile drop shortly however, thinking about some of the events that had happened during their arrival. The princesses showed more concern about changelings in general, more so when Luna was telling them about what they had done.

With a curious look, Twilight asked, “Mask, is what the princesses said about you true?” Hoping he wouldn’t try waving the question off.

Taking up a cantaloupe slice, Masquerade said, “Please be a little more specific Twilight, they said a lot about my kind, so some detail would be nice.” Smiling happily when taking a bit of the juicy fruit.

Biting her lip some, Twilight said, “Abut what changelings did to ponies…did they really faolnap entire settlements and turn them into mindless slaves?”

With a light shake of his head, Masquerade said simply, “Nope.” Letting Twilight relax a little, “That was only half of it, it was much worse.”

“Worse?” She questioned, wonder what could have been worse than taking ponies against their wills, draining them dry of their emotions and using them as zombified slave force.

Pushing his meal aside and folding both hooves, Masquerade asked, “Remember what you know about changelings, how we absorb emotions from everywhere around us?” And getting a nod from Twilight, “That means that we not only did as you said, but also drained all the life out of the land.”

“Earth pony, pegasus pony and unicorn pony use magic that is mix with their emotions, emotions used to help stabilize the world around them.” Using his magic to lift a single fruit, “Even this little strawberry has the emotions the pony felt when growing it, and is harmonized with that magic that help grow it.”

Twilight nodded, understanding where the heir was going, “Because our magic is so heavily influenced by our feelings, that means the lack of it would destabilize the magic and…” Feeling her eyes widen a the results her mind took her

With a horror filled look she finished, “The plants would die from magical imbalance, the weather would go still because of the imbalance…even the towns would fall apart because there is no magical balance.”

Masquerade nodded, letting his horn glow brighter and allowing Twilight watch wisps of his green magic surround the small red fruit. With wide eyes, she watched it start to wither and lose its color, turning dull and somewhat old. Once done, Twilight could have sworn it was left out for weeks and already nearing its end.

“Were parasites you know.” The changeling said absently, “If were not careful of our power, this is what happens to things around us.” Letting the strawberry drop onto the tray, making a light splat when it landed.

Going back to eating Masquerade continued, “Celestia and Luna did what they had to, to restore balance, I won't fault them for it.” Getting Twilight’s attention once again, “But that doesn’t mean I like the idea of genocide of my race.”

Poking at what cake she had left, the mare softy said, “I can‘t imagine the princess doing such a thing…” Not able to comprehend the lives that were lost in taking out changeling clan after changeling clan.

With a sigh the stallion told, “It was a long time ago Twinkles, a time most of us would love to forget.”


“So…are we there yet?”

Sham’s eye twitched at the question, thoughts running wild as to keep his peace as he grounded out, “No Bard, we are not there yet.” Nearing the point that he wished to choke the head of the Lue clan.

Looking about from his spot on one of the large carts, Bard said, “Oh…bummer.” Looking back up to the sky and counting the clouds above. One…two…three…four-- oh, hey a rabbit! Suddenly looking to the left before thinking, oh, it’s just a bird…uh, were was I?

Below, Sham could only feel the boiling irritation build inside of him, unable to wait until he got to Canterlot. Just one more day Sham, then you can be free of this nonsensical, ill-literate, unable moron for another half a year.

“Say Shaggy-Sham.” Bard’s voice once more called from his spot on the cart, “Think they got good lookin’ skirts up in Canterlot? I hear that some are quite fine!”

Sham let out another suffering sigh saying, “I wouldn’t know, I‘m more busy being a responsible heir and doing his work to make sure the clan remains stable.” Giving a stink eye towards his fellow heir who was cloud watching a sky with only five clouds, “Unlike some idiot heirs I know.”

The green pegasus nodded saying, “I dig, I dig stag.” going back to counting the clouds, “But you can‘t just work all your life, it make‘s ya a spaz for wastin’ some time to live a little.”

The new head of the Gem clan only growled, pushing ahead of the caravan and get a update of how things were progressing. On his spot, Bard shook his head saying, “That dude needs to lighten up and not be such a square.” Putting both hooves behind his head to relax some more.

“I would dispute that, great grand son.” The elder known as Intrusive said, popping over the young clan head, “You could learn a thing or two from Sham and how to run a clan.”

Rolling his eyes, Bard said, “I‘m doing fine gramps.” Closing his eyes to take a nap, “Sides, if things go sideways, I‘ve got you.”

An audible clonk echoed from the caravan as the green stallions head was hit by Intrusive’s foot-long pipe, “And I keep telling you, youngling, that I won't be around forever!”

Rubbing his head, Bard pointed out, “Gramps, your over two-hundred years old, that‘s like…” Taking a moment to think and count the numbers in his head, “Forty years over your expiration date.”

This only earned the hair another whack on the head, “I was sure I thought you to respect your elders.” Glaring down at the stallion groaning and rubbing his sore head. With a smirk, the elder told, “Perhaps another lesson is in order?”

With a sudden alertness, Bard got up and opened his wings saying, “Say gramps, I just remembered that I need to, ya know, check in with my bro-- LATER!” Taking off to the back of the caravan.

The elder shook his head, crossing his legs and sitting on the cart while stuffing his pipe. Using a small match to get it started, he inhaled the herbal smoke before letting it out. He was going to need all the patients he had for the coming conversation the next day.

There was also the matter of the head to the Gem clan had asked of him. Part of Intrusive wished to completely ignore the request, seeing it was a task the elders of the same clan would do. But seeing as all the current elders were more or less gone, that left Sham Gem to ask him.

Another puff of smoke exited the elders pipe, closing his eyes to think over the request. He knew it would take time and resources, but if they were going to the princesses, he might be able to cut both of those down. I will consider it. He sighed to himself, knowing he had his work cut out for him.

“Yes, what is it colt?” Intrusive impatient tone made itself known when the changeling he felt next to him was taking too long to work up some nerve to say something.

Chance looked the elder up and down, a little intimidated by the old heir some, and asked, “Not to butt in or nothin', but I was wondering if ya could…teach me?”

Cracking an eye open in interest, Intrusive asked, “And what would I be teaching? Astronomy, physics, sword play, reading, smiting?”

With a gulp, he said, “Well Professor Intrusive…” Using the elders old title, “I was wondering, with a few of the Gem guard, if you were willing to teach us better fighting stances?”

Not bothering to look down at the painted pegasus, Intrusive told, “You realize I will not go easy on any of you, correct?”

With a fast nod, Chance said, “Of course sir, we all know that your rough on most you teach, but them pay off's are better then the pain gained.” Showing to still be a little nervous of the idea.

With a small smile, the old changeling chuckled out, “Perhaps there is hope for this generation yet.” Giving the young common a evil looking glance, “Tell them we start the lessons once we reach Canterlot, no need to slow the caravan before then.”

The scout gave a quick nod, bolting away from the elder who leaned back with a please smirk on his muzzle and smoking his pipe. He may have been a old scholar, but he admits that he enjoyed giving physical lessons to the newer generation. Made him feel slightly younger.


Luna relaxed in her sisters lavished room while waiting for the servants to bring up their desired morning meals. In front of her sat her elder sister, going over a number of documents she had gathered for the morning and began to go through. Tis not a wonder that young Twilight is such a hard worker. Luna thought while Celestia wrote something down before setting the scroll down.

With a light sigh, Luna told, “Sister, put down that parchment at once, I know you are worried about what is to come, but I urge you to stay your actions.”

Celestia stopped the quill in her magic from touching the most latest document she had picked up, one going over some taxes in fillydephia. With a light sigh, she apologized, “I‘m sorry sister, I suppose that these last few days have just worked me up some.”

A hoof was placed over the table, inviting Celetia to do the same and grasp the night princesses limb while Luna told, “I understand sister, news that the changelings are still around is troubling.”

Luna tightened her grasp of her sisters hoof saying, “But I feel you overwork yourself too much these days, and if this invasion truly comes to pass, then we will need you to be your strongest.”

With a warm smile, the day princess nodded and put all the documents into the box she had them in, putting them aside for a latter time. “Your right Luna, I should take some time to rest my mind, shouldn’t I?” Sitting up more straighter and stretching out her large wings.

The younger sister gave a sagely nod saying “Indeed, we both know of how powerful changelings can become.” Remembering a time where one of the shadowy creatures turned into a giant chitin covered monster.

“We should speak to Masquerade latter and hear what he has to say about the ones we are about to meet.” Celestia told while a knock was sounded on her door. “After all, it is best to know who we deal with and not just assume.” She said, opening the doors to let in a pony maid that rolled in a trolley with three trays of food and a tray of tea.

Taking the trays off the trolley, both sisters gave their thanks and sent the pony on her way. Luna poured both herself and her sister a cup of the calming tea, taking in the pleasing aroma; while her sister situated the trays, setting one aside.

Celestia smiled at the raspberry scent, taking a sip of the warm tea and feeling the soothing feeling it gave as it entered her. A crossed from her, Luna lifted the lid from her plate, happily cutting up her newly favored breakfast meal known as ‘French Toast’ and adding maple syrup to it.

Celestia herself lifted up her own lid on her meal, lifting up the fork and bringing it down on her own meal--

A light clink sounded from her plate, making both sisters stop to look at the half empty plate. On one side was Celestia’s fruit salad and some scrabbled eggs. On the other would be her cake, which for some reason, was missing.

looking up to her sisters shocked face, Luna said, “Perhaps they ran out of cake this morning?” Knowing that even that sounded ridicules, seeing that her sister always knew how to plan out when to have her cake.

With a controlled calm, Celestia moved her fork over and speared the closest fruit, giving a too sweet smile, “Perhaps.” Spearing another fruit onto the fork before eating the two.

Taking some time to eat their meals, the elder sister said, “For some reason, I have a feeling this has happened before…” Looking down to her plate as if to contemplate.

Thinking for a moment herself, Luna said, “You did tell me there was a time your cake kept vanishing…” Suddenly remembering the dream Twilight had a week before. With a smile, Luna told, “Maybe it‘s a sign that you need to cut back some.”

With a gasp, the white alicorn told, “Luna, I would have you know I can keep my figure well enough to have my cake.” Taking another bit of her fruit salad.

The younger sister only giggled a little, have more than good idea who was responsible for her older sisters missing cake. Another set of knocks came form the large door, followed closely by a voice calling, “Aunty Celestia, Aunty Luna?”

Both alicorns smiled at the voice as Celestia called, “Come in Cadence, we have much to discuss!” Opening the doors for their niece.

Tentatively, a much younger alicorn stepped in, looking about the room some before fully entering, “You said you both wanted to see me?” Some uncertainty in her voice.

Celestia nodded to the pink alicorn, admiring how her niece had grown into a fine mare for the last few years. She motioned for the youngest alicorn to take a seat where the last tray was, saying, “Some things have come up recently that I thought you needed to know.”

Nodding to her aunt, Cadence took her place at the table, brushing some of her tri-colored mane of yellows, pinks and purples to the side while moving the lid off her plate. She gave a pleasant smile at the meal before her, three blueberry crepes with some whip cream on them.

A small sound alerted Cadence to something being set near her, looking to her left to see a cup of tea that soon lost the indigo glow around it. “Thank you aunty Luna.” She smiled, taking up the tea and drinking it.

With the youngest of their group now relaxed, Celestia gave a pleasant smile saying, “Yesterday evening, my sister and I invited Twilight over for a visit with her newly made coltfriend.”

Both of the pink alicorns ears twitched at the news, wondering why she wasn’t told of this. After all, Cadence had not seen Twilight ever since she just a filly.

“I would have invited you too, but this wasn’t for pleasantries.” Celestia told, taking another sip of her tea before going for her meal.

Luna took up after her sister, telling the younger alicorn, “Around a few days ago, young Twilight had a nightmare and I had gone to investigate.” Looking Cadence in the eye, she asked, “Do you recall any tails of creatures that would feed off love and stalk ponies to become them?”

Nodding, but not understanding where this was going, Cadence said, “Yes, Aunty Celestia would tell me about them now and again.” Looking to the white alicorn, “She said that when I got older, I needed to know the duties and responsibilities I would have to take up if things like that were to ever happen.”

With a pleased nod in knowing her sister had taught the younger alicorn her role at a young age, Luna said, “Twilight's nightmare was of those creatures, the same ones we thought long gone.” While Cadence gave an shocked look, Luna went on, “I took the next few days searching for dreams of Twilight’s friends, knowing one of them could be taking advantage of her.”

“I didn’t find any sign of them being contained, but I also did not see a dream belonging to her suitor, Masquerade.” Luna narrowed her eyes when thinking about changeling dreams. Unlike so many dreams that were in the dreamscape that shined brightly, changeling dreams were always shrouded and cloudy in a way they almost seemed hidden.

With a gulp, Cadence asked, “Is Twilight okay, did you free her from what Celestia told me about?” Worried over the small filly she knew in her teen aged youth.

With a amused smile, Celestia told, “It seems that our worries were unfounded.” Taking another bit of her meal, eyeing the empty space her cake was, “It turns out this changeling means no harm to Twilight, and has alerted us to something much bigger and is residing with my student in the castle until we work it out.”

Cadence gave a mixed reaction to this, unsure if she should feel relived or not. With a quick breathing exercise to calm herself, she asked, “Is this building up to something more then letting me know what is happening?” Truly wondering what the two celestial sisters had called her for.

Luna gave a nod telling, “I control the moon and know all that is part of it‘s darkness.” Then gestured to her sister saying, “My sister controls the sun, and knows all that is part of it’s light.” And pointed to Cadence, “You are an alicorn that knows all there is to love, no matter it‘s form.”

Blinking, but now understanding, Cadence thought a bit more before saying, “You want me to make sure that this changeling actually loves Twilight?” Receiving nods from both sisters.

With a smile, the youngest alicorn told, “You know, I would have done that anyways.” Taking up some of her crepe saying, “I‘m not letting any stallion near my little Twilight, even more so since she‘s going to be my sister-in-law.” Taking a bite while also feeling a shift in the atmosphere.

Swallowing her food and looking to both alicorns of day and night that had suddenly gone silent, Cadence then asked slowly, “She does know about the wedding that you both are hosting for Shiny and I, right?”


After finishing their morning meal and taking the used dishes back to the kitchen, Twilight and Masquerade made their way to the guardian to relax for the remaining morning. The morning seemed just right for the idea, as the air was crisp and cool, while to sun began to warm the surrounding areas.

Looking around the gardens, Twilight asked, “What do you think will happen during the meeting when they get here?” Referring to the changelings that would be soon coming.

Taking in the sights around himself, Masquerade replied, “Well, it depends really…” Thinking over what he currently knew, “Mostly on what information Sham was able to dig up and how accurate it is.”

Looking to the stallion, Twilight said, “So you don’t know how things will turn out until we know what Sham has found out?”

Masquerade gave a nod, not looking to happy about it, “I would go looking for information myself, but doing so would just draw attention to myself.” Knowing that Libel was still waiting for the Malek to show himself. With a sigh he just told, “But in short, no, I won't know how things will turn out.”

Twilight took his word as it was, looking for a bench to sit on and take the time to just relax in the quiet hum of the morning. Feeling a nudge, she looked to the black unicorn who motioned to a tree not too far off, apparently finding it suitable enough. Nodding, the mare followed along and laid down next to the changeling who just plopped down.

The two just laid there in silence and just enjoying the hum of the royal gardens, keeping next to the other for some warmth. Looking up through the branches, Twilight told, “I remember coming out here with a book to read when it wasn’t raining…it was always so peaceful and calm like this morning.”

Masquerade didn’t say anything, just allowing Twilight to do the talking, “My parents would sometimes visit, bringing me out here to have a small picnic before my next lesson started.” Giving a nudge to the dark stallion, she asked, “Do you remember them, my parents?”

Taking a moment to think Masquerade said, “Twilight Velvet and…Moon Shine?” Getting a slight swat from the mare beside him.
“Night Light.” Twilight corrected a little irritated that the actor mixed her fathers name up.

With a look Mask said, “I was close!” Getting another whack for his efforts, but smiling at the playful--if not aggressive--behavior. In the end he nodded, “But yes, I do remember them.”

With a sudden thought, the black unicorn asked, “Think they‘ll be okay with us?” Not sure if he could talk his way around the lavender unicorns parents.

With a amused smile, Twilight said, “What, your not scared of meeting my parents, are you?” Turning her head to look right at his eyes, “Even if I‘m there to give support?” Fluttering her eyes just as rarity taught her.

With wide eyes, the stallion said, “Wow, your lessons with Rarity have been paying off.” Grinning at her surprised face.

With narrowed eyes, Twilight asked, “How did you know about that?” Just now realizing who she was talking about.

Humming in thought, Masquerade said, “Lets see…master of the cloak arts, best infiltrator of the five clans, has experience in sneaking around…” Giving a smirk saying, “I think we both know how I know.”

Shaking her head, the lavender mare could only sigh, “Your such a stalker.”

Rolling his eyes, Masquerade put a foreleg over his fillyfriend and said, “True, but I‘m your stalker.”

With a snort, Twilight said, “Is that suppose to be romantic?” Unable to hold some of her amusement at his line.

With a grin, the stallion told, “Romantic, I was just stating fact!” And poked her saying, “Face it, you don’t mind having me as your stalker.” Pulling her close with his hoof over her, and using the other to wave out before them, “I‘m like your secret guard from the shadows!”

Pushing the silly stallion away lightly, Twilight said, “Maybe, but your more of a assassin than a guard, and I‘m a student of the princess, not an actual princess.”

With a sudden peck on the mares lips, Masquerade grind, “I don’t know, you seem like princess material to me!” Enjoying the light blush that showed on Twilight’s cheeks. “I have mentioned you look adorable when you blush, right?” He asked, just increasing the mares flustered feelings.

With playful look, Twilight asked, “Does that make you my honorable white knight in shinning armor?” Giving his thin build a look over, “Because I can't see it.”

Huffing and turning his head away, Masquerade told, “I‘m not some honorable white knight in shinning armor, that’s your brother.” Grinning as he turned back to her face and getting close up saying like a whisper, “I’m more like your deceptive black knight in tarnished armor.”

Looking into her coltfriends bright green eyes, Twilight felt a strange shiver of excitement run up her spine at his take of being a knight. For some reason, the way he saw himself just seemed more enticing to her, as she was use to playing by the rules just like most ponies do.

With a devious smile, Twilight closed the small gap and gave a much deeper kiss, able to tell from how the stallion shifted that she had caught him by surprise. Pulling back, she was happy to note that Masquerade looked properly dazed, hiccuping a little after her display.

With a half annoyed look, Masquerade told, “You k--hic!--know, I can’t wait --hic!-- for this to pass a--hic!--nd be immune too it--hic!--it's effects.”

While he was saying this, Twilight could not contain her giggles at each time his words were nearly botched up by his hiccups. She had to admit, she liked the power she had over him with just a kiss, even without the drunken-hiccups being a factor.

Having an idea pop in her head, Twilight said, “But Mask, you look so cute when you stumble over your words.” Giggling as the changeling went to say something, only to be cut off by another hiccup.

The infiltrator pouted a little, irritated that he still was getting overcharged by Twilight. Then again, it only shows she loves me, he soon smiled, feeling happy at that fact. It was quickly replaced by a scowl when he hiccupped again, raging, but curse it all, these overcharges are irritating!

Fifteen minutes later and Masquerade was happy to know his little overcharge was over, relaxing into the grass without worrying about a sudden hiccup. Twilight also relaxed, leaning on the stallion and enjoying the calm.

“Twily, are you out here?” The unmistakable voice of Shinning Armor called out, drawing the couples attention. “There‘s somepony here I think you‘d want to meet!”

Giving the other a curious glance, both Twilight and Masquerade got up form their place and walked over to where Shinning Armor was standing. Next to him stood a pink alicorn mare with a tri colored mane--

Alicorn! Masquerades eyes widened in surprise, recalling only two alcorns in his memory. But there she was, undeniable proof of a third alicorn, smiling happily and giving off easy waves of love.

Giving the mare a look over, recognition flashed over Twilight’s face as she called, “Cadence, is that you?” Smiling widely at the prospect of who she saw before her.

With her own smile, the alicorn nodded, “It certainly is!” Gaining a twinkle in her eye and bent down.

Noticing this, Twilight mimicked the pink alicorn and mimed along, “Sun shine, sun shine, ladybugs awake!” Jumping in place for a bit before covering their eyes for a moment.

Taking them away to see the other, they sat up to clap their hooves with the other saying, “Clap your hooves and do a little shake!” Turning on the spot to shake their flanks at the other before dissolving into a mess of giggles.

Applauding could be heard to the side, as Masquerade clapped his own hooves together saying, “Such a nice way to great a friend!” Looking over to Twilight saying, “Mind doing that last bit again Twinkles?” Winking to her.

While Twilight flushed lightly and her older brother glare a bit more, Cadence giggled and gave a light shove to the lavender mare saying, “So this is the young stallion that‘s taken my little Twilight's heart?” Strolling up to the black unicorn curiously.

While Shinning Armor looked ready to protest, Cadence walked around Twilight's coltfriend with consideration. Cute, but underweight…gives the slightest dark vibe, while also seeming playful… Looking up to his green eyes, the alicorn princess felt a slight chill in her body at the calculative glace he gave. It didn’t help that she didn’t seem to get a feel on how he felt, reminding her of what her aunts had told her.

With a pleasant smile, Cadence said, “I am Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, or Cadence.“ Giving a light bow to the stallion. “Whom might you be my good sir?”

Returning her light bow with a small bow of his own, Masquerade told, “I would be Masquerade, actor extraordinar’, at your services.” Casting a glance at Twilight adding, “Unless Twinkles says otherwise.”

With small laugh, Cadence turned to the younger mare saying, “It‘s been so long, how has my favorite filly been?” Waving for Twilight to follow along.

With a beaming smile Twilight told, “Some bumps here or there, but mostly good.” Walking in step next to her old faolsitters side, “I have moved to a little town called Ponyville near the Everfree and have made some wonderful friends!”

Behind the two mares were the two stallions. One captain of the guard giving a warning glare, while one master infiltrator grinned back as if ready to play a game.

“You should bring them up some time, I would love to meet them.” Cadence smiled, more than happy Twilight had finally gotten some friends. “But before that-- Shining dear, would you come over here?”

Twilight gave a puzzled look when the alicorn had called for her brother in such a way, but seemed to realize what was happening when her brother put a hoof over Cadence’s shoulder while she said, “Shinning and I are getting married!”

Both lavender and black unicorns stopped, one out of shock, while the other didn’t want to run into his fillyfriend. Looking between the two, Twilight felt a mixture of feelings, like anger that her brother forgot to tell her, and pure joy at two of her loved ones were getting married.

The joy won out and Twilight excitedly said, “Your getting married, my brother and foalsitter are both getting married!” Jumping in place as she did so.

Looking the two over, Masquerade grinned again while saying, “Well I‘ll be, captain of the guard marrying a princess, like in those fairytales.” Then adding with a hoof to his chin, “But I thought the brave knight had to save the princess or something?”

Stopping her bouncing for a moment to give her stallion a look, Twilight said, “In fairy tails, yes, but this isn’t one, now is it?” Still smiling despite this.

Thinking for a moment, Masquerade shrugged, “I‘m sure we could stage one, I am an actor after all.” Backing up in time for Twilight to miss hitting him upside the head as he sung, “Miss me, miss me, now you gatta‘ kiss me!” Turing to run, only for a flash of pink to blind him.

It was during that moment that Twilight exited her teleporting spell, and used the stallions blinded state to do as he said, kissing him and making him lock up. When the little giving of love was done, Masquerade fell back with a slight giggle and once again hiccupped, “No--hic!--no fair!”

With an innocent smile, Twilight told, “But Mask, wasn’t it you who told me everything is fair in love and war?”

While Shinning Armor gave a slightly disapproving look, his fiancé next to him only giggled, “Their like a perfect match!” Getting a surprised look from the white stallion.


A day had come and passed quickly after Twilight and Masquerade had met up with Shinning Armor and Cadence, spending the day with one another. Of course they had to stop by both Celestia and Luna, mostly so they could ask the changeling infiltrator what to expect when Sham and one of the Lue came.

Now it was the next day, and both reigning sisters watched the door with patients along with Twilight Sparkle, Masquerade, Shining Armor, Princess Cadence, and the fifteen guards from before.

The Gem Caravan had been spotted an hour ago, while small group breaking off and making their way up to Canterlot. This was supposedly the changelings they were to meet, and most were a little tense for the meeting to come.

When it was announced that they had arrived, all ponies --excluding the changeling-- straightened up more to look their best. But when the doors opened, they were unsure how to react.

“For the last time Bard, I will not go gallivanting about with you to ‘hang loose’ for the entire day!” A brown and shaggy stallion said with some effort, as if yelling would take too much energy.

The green pegasus stallion next to him rolled his eyes while saying with an easy smile, “And I‘m telling‘ ya, the sights are righteous during this time of season, and the clubs are something to get jazzed up about!”

Both were silenced by a old grey stallion that whacked both of the younger ones on the head with his long pipe saying, “The both of you, settle down.” Straightening himself up more saying, “We are in the presents of the Princesses, show some respect!”

With a subdued nod, the pegasus said, “Sure thing gramps.” While the shaggy one just gave a barely audible grunt.

When the large doors closed, the shaggy one spoke up first, aiming his attention to Masquerade saying, “Is this room secure?” Not bothering to address the two alicorns before him.

With a light sigh at his cousins actions, Masquerade nodded, “Yes Sham, the room is locked tight, the guards are clean and no pony--or changeling--will hear a peep.”

Not giving any sign he heard his cousin, Sham looked up to both princesses saying, “Then let us begin.”

Next to Sham, the older stallion scowled at the Gem clan member and reprimanded, “Sham Gem, I would advise you exercise respect when talking to both ruling sisters of this kingdom.”

Giving a bow, the elder said, “Please forgive this…youngling, for his impolite behavior your highnesses.” And sent a glare to the stallion in question, “He is still incompetent in the ways of fine speech”

Waving a hoof, Celestia said, “It is alright, Masquerade has already informed us of…Sham‘s quirks.” Trailing off a little uncertainly at the end.

With a shrug, Bard told, “Don’t sweat it, we all think he's a spaz.” To which earned him another whack on the head, and hastily added, “Your highness!”

Celestia nodded saying, “As I have told, it is alright.” Looking over the three, “Perhaps we should introduce ourselves?”

Holding up a hoof, Sham said, “We all know who you and your sister are.” And tapped himself, “I am head to the Gem Clan, Sham.”

With a huff, the elder stated with another respectful bow, “I am grandmaster of the tome arts of the Lue Clan, Intrusive.” Rising up from his bow to nudge the pegasus.

Giving a start a the poke to his side, Bard quickly bowed saying, “I am head to the Lue Clan, Bard.” Rising up to give the place another once over thinking, nice pad…

Nudging the others to follow, Masquerade walked up saying, “I am second heir to the Malek Clan, Masquerade.” Nodding for Twilight to go next.

Taking a breath, Twilight gave a light bow saying, “I am Twilight Sparkle, student to Princess Celestia.” Gaining some interest from the two Lue clan members.

Cadence and Shinning Armor were next, the alicorn going first saying, “I am Princess Mi Armor Cadenza.” Rising up to add, “You my refer to me as Princess Cadence if you wish.”

While Sham rolled his eyes at her, Bard gave a friendly smile while Intrusive gave a polite bow saying, “Of course your highness.”

Next to Cadence, Shinning Armor gave a stiff nod, not taking his eyes off the trio saying, “I am Shinning Armor, captain of the royal guard.”

If anything, Bard seemed to smile even more while his grand father gave a approving nod after looking the pony over. Sham didn’t seem to show much interest, finding the stain glass more fascinating.

Clearing her voice Luna said, “Before we begin, would Sham of the Gem clan tell us all what he knows?”

Looking to see all eyes on him, the head of the Gem clan lazily walked forward announcing, “Two months back, I had received confirming information that something had gone wrong within the changeling capital.”

Not making an effort to look at anypony, he continued, “I was asked to gather what information I could from the three clans inside the capital as to why they wish to invade Equestria.” Looking around the room now to see he had their full attention he told, “Things have gotten worse.”

“The minor clans that have been attacking have grown in number, and threaten to start war. Food stocks have gotten dangerously low.” Looking to Masquerade he said, “The Queen is dead, killed by some rouges that have pinned the blame onto the remaining Gem clan members inside the capital.”

While most of the room looked a little worried, Masquerade looked alarmed, ears pined up and eyes wide. Sham didn’t stop however, telling, “The Gem clan is now mostly in hiding, waiting for things to settle down. Our numbers have been halved, most of these loses were commons.”

Taking in a deep breath, Sham further told, “We also no longer have three mouths of preparation, they strike Canterlot next month with all remaining forces, under the new Queens rule.”

Looking to her sister for a moment, Celestia asked, “Who is this new Queen, and what should we expect from her?”

Sham gave a quick look to Masquerade before looking back up to the two Celestial sister saying, “The new Queen of the five clans is elder Chrysalis Malek.” Making the only Malek in the room draw in a sharp breath, “We expect heavy opposition from her.”

Twilight gave a concerned look to Masquerade who seemed to have gone still, nudging him lightly, “Mask?”

Gulping, Masquerade told, “That‘s my mother Twilight…” Almost as if he didn’t fully believed it, “The new queen is my mother…” Feeling pain turning inside of himself at those words thinking, we‘re going to be enemies during this.