• Published 25th Jul 2013
  • 1,113 Views, 22 Comments

Crystalline - Seraphine Starchaser



Countless years had passed since King Sombra started haunting the Crystal Empire. The citizens were listless, forgetful; but when the mane 6 started investigating, truths were uncovered. Truths that were hidden for many, many years.

  • ...
2
 22
 1,113

Kingdoms Through Ages

I’ve been living for so long,
Many seasons have passed me by.
I’ve seen kingdoms through ages
Rise and fall,
I’ve seen it all.

I’ve seen the horror,
I’ve seen the wonders
Happening just in front of my eyes
Will I ever
Will I never
Free myself by making it right?
-Within Temptation, “Jillian (I’d Give My Heart)”

Waking up early was a bit of a chore for Rarity that day. She had been so nervous and yet excited somehow. Her quarters were adequate and much richer for the castle’s atmosphere, though she was too anxious to enjoy it. But she was determined to be able to start her task this very day. The girl’s rooms were all nearby as well, so she decided to wake up her group members to start their day.

“I heard ya already! Geez. I’m just gonna go to the bathroom first.”

“Meet me in front of Pinkie’s room, alright?” Rarity received no reply, but she heard shuffling sounds and so knew her friend was awake.

Next to check was Pinkie. Rarity raised her hoof and knocked gently. “Are you in there, dear? It’s time to wake up and start our mission today!”

She put her head to the door to hear better; whatever it was Pinkie Pie was doing, she did not want to know. She slowly backed away from the door just in time for the pink mare to shoot out a confetti canon. “I’m ready!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed.

Dash opened her door to the sight of confetti everywhere, an exasperated Rarity, and a rather clueless Pinkie Pie. Typical kind of day stuff, she giggled. Their unicorn friend shot her a glare.

“Pinkie,” Rarity said, “I do not think we need your party, er, cannon for gathering information.”

“I know, silly! I just wanted to have your morning be extra special,” Pinkie Pie smiled.

“Okay slowpokes, let’s get this show on the road,” said Rainbow Dash, walking up to the two fillies.

“Oh, but where is Spikey-Wikey?” asked Rarity as said dragon ran to the group.

“I’m –huff- here –huff- and ready –huff- to go,” he said, catching his breath.

“Okay, we’re all here! Let’s do this mother!” The Pegasus pony fist pumped.

Pinkie Pie tilted her head, confused. “I’m sure we’ll talk to mommies, but we need to talk to daddies and the little ones, too. And old folks! They like to talk a lot.”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “Yeah, sure Pinkie.”

“Let’s get going, girls. And Spike,” added Rarity. The group trotted downstairs, chatting amicably. Upon getting to the door, the group was stunned. A group of 15 stallions were waiting and bowed upon meeting.

“Lady Rarity,” one soldier said, walking forward. His armor gleamed dully in the gloomy sky’s light. “We are to escort you about town this day. Have you a destination in mind?”

“Gentlecolts, I thank you for your service and protection, but might you be a tad too conspicuous?”

The guards looked to each other for answers, while the one in front of Rarity and the others shifted his weight slightly.

“We understand your mission, Ladies Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Lord Spike.” He straightened up. “However, our priority is your safety; therefore, we cannot accommodate otherwise,” he said.

Pinkie Pie craned her head. “What’s your name?”

The guard blinked, shocked. “Pardon?”

“Your name, what is it?” leered Dash. “You got one or not?”

“Rainbow Dash,” Rarity hissed. “Don’ be rude.”

But everypony disregarded the exchange. “My name is Raidon Charger, my ladies.” Raidon bowed briefly. “Are there any other concerns that I can help you with?”

Said ladies exchanged quick looks, though Spike was still staring the guard down. Rarity shook her head. “No, we have no more questions, sir. Thank you.”

“May we proceed then, Ladies and Lord?”

“We shall.”


The group (accompanied by the guards, of course) walked down the silent streets of the Crystal Empire. It was a strangely bright grey day within the safety of the barrier Prince Shining Armor maintained. The magicks of said prince and King Sombra’s curse fought, producing the strange atmosphere.

The air seemed hesitant yet anxious, affecting all the ponies within their group.

“I don’t like this,” Pinkie Pie whispered to Rarity and Rainbow Dash. “Things are… off.” Her ears twitched back, and her tail was tucked closer to her legs.

The multi-hued pegasus glanced at the guards ponies among them. “I know what you mean. We’ve never had guards with us before, and we’ve been through some crazy shit.”

Spike, who was slightly behind the ladies, flushed at the curse word. But things were certainly not right. He’d never had this apprehension among the royal guards before, and said as much to the girls.

“What about you, Rarity?” the dragon asked eagerly.

She startled a bit at her name, having been preoccupied with thoughts that were not pleasant.

“I think,” Rarity began slowly, “that we should keep our eyes and ears open. We should find somepony to talk to.”

Rainbow Dash was about to argue, but the look Rarity shot her delayed the outburst. The look said, we’ll talk later. She grunted in annoyance but nodded her head in agreement, along with Pinkie Pie. Spike merely kept his eye on his friends, staying silent.


Meanwhile, Princess Cadence had a scrying bowl before her, filled with water from Canterlot’s spring of clarity. Much like Twilight’s idea of communication, this allowed her to see and speak with her Aunt Celestia.

“Auntie?” she questioned. No matter how many times she did this, she felt a little awkward talking to a bowl of water.

Ripples in the bowl appeared briefly before Princess Celestia’s visage filled it. “Yes, my dear?”

Cadence smiled briefly. “Twilight and her friends made it here safely, and are working on a way to break this curse. Hopefully, the citizens will be free and all will be well again.”

The elder princess merely hummed in response.

“Was I received at a bad time, Auntie?” Cadence felt her cheeks redden in embarrassment, hoping she hadn’t interrupted her aunt’s busy schedule.

Princess Celestia turned her face to the mirror in her office. “Not at all, my dear. I was only day-dreaming, it seems. I apologize for the rudeness.”

“Ah, not at all, Aunt Celestia. I visited Twilight last night and we discussed her plans. There’s not much I can do, unfortunately.” Cadence fell silent for a moment before continuing. “I suppose there isn’t much any of us can do at the moment.”

“So the plan you and Twilight discussed is only information gathering? That is not out of place nor unhelpful. And you are a sovereign in that kingdom, though still part of Equestria. You can help if the situation calls for it,” the princess said kindly. “We all have our parts to play, and we cannot always choose which parts we must take part in.”

Princess Cadence considered her Aunt’s words and carefully replied: “And what parts are available, then?”

The white alicorn smiled mysteriously. “My dear, you always know just the right questions to ask. However,” she said with a harsh light in her eyes, “they will not be answered to your satisfaction.”

Cadence twitched back a little, a spear of anxiety piercing her heart. Never had she seen such a look on her beloved Auntie’s face.

In a blink the visage vanished, and all that was left was her normal smile, the light in her eyes gone.

“There are things you do not and will not know, for many reasons. Your safety, and the safety of my kingdom, is a part of it. You do not need to know. Events will unfold as they will, and you need only remember that you also have people, and a state, to look after. Do not forget, and remember that I love you, dear. Good bye for now.”

The bowl’s contents rippled before becoming still and clear once again. Cadence sat down, shaking slightly. This situation, whatever it was, was more serious than she could have ever imagined.

Perhaps she should speak to Twilight again.


“Fluttershy, how are you doing? Find anything?” Twilight Sparkle asked her friend.

“N-not really, just… some interesting information on the animals in this r-region.”

“Hmm,” thought Twilight aloud. “Well, we never know what could be useful after all. I have yet to find anything really, though the history of magicks sounds promising. “I think we need more information of this kingdom itself, sugarcubes,” said Applejack. “When and how did this become Equestrian territory?”

“Now that you mention it, we really don’t know much. I think we should talk with—Cadence!” Twilight shouted as her sister-in-law burst through the door.

The Princess’ ki covered the scrying bowl next to Twilight.

“Wha—” Twilight began before having a hoof cover her mouth. Cadence leaned in close to whisper in her friend’s ear:

“Am I currently blocking the magical energy of your bowl? Can no one hear what we are saying?”

The purple unicorn merely nodded, still having a hoof over her mouth. Princess Cadence sighed and relaxed, leaving Twilight free to speak.

“What is going on? What if Rarity and the others need us?”

The pink alicorn beckoned Fluttershy and Applejack closer. “Auntie… she—something serious is going on here, guys.”

They looked at each other. “Uh, no offence Princess, but I thought this situation was already pretty serious.”

Cadence nodded. “Indeed, it is, but events have happened that have led me to believe this is something dark, and unexpected. Even before now, there have been signs, but I just thought…” she shook her head. “Never mind. I must tell you and you must absolutely not speak of this to anypony else, especially with a scrying bowl or other such object nearby and active.”

“W-what about R-Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and S-Spike, your majesty?” Fluttershy whispered.

“They will know of this, too. I only came to warn you to be watchful of what you see, hear, read, and say. Have a care, especially if things seem awry and nonsensical. We must keep each other aware always.” The princess sighed. “It is nearing noon, is it not? I believe your friends should return for some lunch,” she said, looking meaningfully at each pony. “We will talk within one hour. Do not mention that I came here and spoke to you. I placed a spell upon the guards, so they will not think I ever left my office. Until the next hour.” Princess Cadence trotted out the door, leaving three confused ponies in her wake.


Author's Note:

Thank you for reading. Any theories?

Comments ( 3 )

This is getting go.I hope you do another chapter soon.

Only theory I have, is that things are on the downward spiral, and Rarity will be right at the heart of the storm(though I believe most people probably figured that already.)

Please, please if you can, continue this story. It shows so much promise!

Login or register to comment