• Published 8th May 2013
  • 4,680 Views, 334 Comments

Po-Ni-Oh!: Rise of the Heroes - flawlessvictory20



Follow the exploits of young pegasus named Star Driver as he sets out to become the next King of Games.

  • ...
13
 334
 4,680

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 15 - Who is the Best? (part 02)

I wouldn’t count on it, Dash!” replied Star Driver.

“We’ll see about that Star,” she smirked. “Lucky for you, I can’t do anything right now. So that does it for now.”

All right, let’s see what I can do,” said Star, as he drew his card.

He reviewed his hand and proceeded with his turn.

First, due to the effect of 'Hero Evasion' I lose another 500 LP.”

Star’s Life Points were reduced to 900.

Next, I sacrifice my 'Bowman' to summon 'Celestial Hero Sentry' in Attack mode.”

Celestial Hero Sentry
ATT: LIGHT
Level: 5 stars
Type: Warrior/Effect
Card Text: You can only activate this card's effect if you have at least 2 or more cards in your hand. Once per turn, by discarding any number of cards from your hand, Special Summon the same number of 'Celestial Hero' monsters from your Graveyard.
ATK/DEF: 2000/1800

A humanoid female warrior emerged on the field. She is a slightly tall, petite woman. She has shoulder-length auburn hair light peach skin and curved light green eyes. She was dressed in a decorative silver breastplate with light blue lining, a decorative silver armored belt with silver light blue trim, blue arm warmers, a teal cape attached to a silver medallion, midnight gauntlets with cool gray lining, navy pleated skirt, cobalt blue stockings, blue shin guards with brown boots. She wielded a silver shield and an onyx-colored staff.

“Hmm, is that a new one, Star?” Rainbow asked.

Yep, and I activated her special ability. By sending one card from my hand to the Graveyard, I can bring back my 'Celestial Hero Valkyrie',” answered Star.

After he discarded his card, the armored maiden returned to the field. Due to the Field Spell, her stats were changed to 2900/2500.

Now, Valkyrie! Take out her Silverwind with Crimson Kick.”

The young maiden then leaped into the air. Once in the air, the maiden delivered a dive kick.

“Nice try, Star. But thanks to Silverwind's special ability, I can prevent him from being destroyed this turn,” explained Rainbow.

But you still lose Life Points,” Star Driver replied.

As the kick impacted, Silverwind shrugged off the assault as Valkyrie returned to Star’s side of the field. Rainbow’s Life was reduced to 1600.

This does for now, and per ‘Hero Tower’s’ effect I Special Summon ‘Celestial Hero Yin’ in Attack Mode.”

Celestial Hero Yin
ATT: LIGHT
Level: 4 stars
Type: Spellcaster
ATK/DEF: 1900/1500

In a flash of light, a humanoid maiden appeared on the field. She's a tall, slender young woman. She has light tan skin, long raven hair, and captivating magenta eyes. She wore a long, flowing sleeveless white dress with a golden waistband, a see-through facial veil, a golden headband, golden wristbands, and light brown sandals. Due to Hero Tower’s effect, her stats changed to 2400/2000.

You’re move, Dash,” Star smirked.

Rainbow drew her card.

“Okay, Star. First, I play ‘Blackwing - Kochi the Daybreak’ in Attack mode.”

Blackwing - Kochi the Daybreak
ATT: DARK
Type: Winged Beast/Tuner
Level: 4 stars
Card Text: If this card was Special Summoned, this card cannot be used as a Synchro Material Monster.
ATK/DEF: 0700/1500

A fairly large avian beast then emerged from the sky. It had wildly arranged light violet and red feathers on its head, a long beak, its body covered in light violet feathers with black ones on its neck and wing tips, and black and red tail feathers.

“And thanks to the effect of 'Black Whirlwind' I can add a 'Blackwing' from my Deck to my hand.”

She searched her deck for a card and she added it to her hand. She then shuffled her deck.
“Next, I activate the Spell card ‘Blackwing Slip Stream’.”

Blackwing Slip Stream
ATT: SPELL
Type: Spell Card
Card Text: You can only activate this if ‘Black Whirlwind’ is on the field. Special Summon any number of ‘Blackwing’ monsters that were added to your hand by the ‘Black Whirlwind’ effect.

“Thanks to this card, I can Special Summon any number of Blackwing’s from my hand that I added due to the effect ‘Black Whirlwind’. So, I summon ‘Blackwing - Gust the Backblast’ and another ‘Blackwing - Fane the Steel Chain’ in Attack mode.”

Blackwing - Gust the Backblast
ATT: DARK
Level: 2 stars
Type: Winged Beast/Effect
Card Text: If you control no cards, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. While this card is face-up on the field, if your opponent's monster attacks a “Blackwing” monster you control, the attacking monster loses 300 ATK during the Damage Step only.
ATK/DEF: 0900/1400

A stocky, humanoid avian warrior dove onto the field. His blue wing protruded from its back, he had white feathers on his wrist, legs, and shoulders. He had an avian headdress with an open beak and lime green feathers, green and blue tail feathers, and he had sharp claws and talons. Another avian ninja appeared on the field.

“Now the time has come to summon my most fearsome beast,” boasted Rainbow.
No, she can't mean...
“I tune 'Kochi the Daybreak' ‘with 'Fane the Steel Chain' and 'Gust the Backblast'.”

The three monsters are then transformed into balls of white light.

“Now by the power of a Synchro Summoning, these Blackwings will beat as one!”

They are then shot through a series of green rings.

“Soar to power, Black-Winged Dragon!”

Black-Winged Dragon
ATT: DARK
Level: 8 stars
Type: Dragon/Synchro/Effect
Material Monsters: 1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
Card Text: Whenever you would take damage from a card effect, place 1 Black Feather Counter on this card instead. This card loses 700 ATK for each Black Feather Counter on it. Once per turn, you can remove all Black Feather Counters on this card to target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; that target loses 700 ATK for each Black Feather Counter you removed, and inflict damage to your opponent equal to the ATK lost by that monster because of this effect.
ATK/DEF: 2800/1600

A bolt of light crashed behind Rainbow. Within the light, a large figure emerged onto the field. The dragon has a large beak with sharp teeth, red eyes, black feathers along its head, a gray breastplate with a dark blue underbelly, four large wings with red and black feathers, and six large silver claws.

This is bad...” Star gulped.

“Lucky for you Star, that Trap of yours is keeping me at bay for now. So, I end my turn.”


On the sidelines, the others stood in awe of the duel they were witnessing.

“Ah can’t believe. Rainbow was able to summon her strongest monster so fast,” Applejack spoke, mouth agape.
“This is one of the best duels these two have ever had,” smiled Twilight. “I don't know which one of them is going to win.”
“Well, my bro will find a way to pull it off,” said Spike.
“I wouldn’t count on it,” spoke a familiar voice.

They turned to see Gilda as leaned against the crowd barrier.

“There’s no way that loser can beat, Dash.”
“What makes you think that?” asked Rarity.
“Just look at the field. Dash has more powerful monsters than that dweeb does,” Gilda pointed out.
“So, Star always finds a way to turn things around,” countered Fluttershy.

“Face the facts, Fluttershy. If it weren’t for that Trap card, this duel would’ve been done long ago.”
“True, but never count Star out. He’s gotta a really bad habit of making ponies eat their words,” spoke Pinkie Pie.
“Whatever,” she huffed. “He’s still gonna lose.”
“Didn't you say the same thing about Spike?” teased Twilight.

Gilda clicked her tongue.

“Dragon boy just got lucky is all.”
“Hey!” Spike shouted.


I wasn’t prepared to deal with her dragon so soon. I need to draw something here or I'm in trouble,’ thought Star.

He prepared to draw his card.
Let’s check the deck!”

He looked at his card and a smirk appeared on his snout.

Just what I needed.’

He turned his attention to Rainbow Dash.
First, due to the effect of 'Hero Evasion' I lose another 500 LP.”

Star’s Life Points were reduced to 400.

I know that Silverwind's effect can prevent from him being destroyed,,’ thought Star.

He turned his attention to her Black-Winged Dragon.
But her dragon isn’t so lucky,’ he grinned.

He pointed at Rainbow’s dragon.
Now, Valkyrie take out her dragon with Crimson Kick!” ordered Star.

Once again, the masked maiden leaped into the air. She then delivered a kick to the opposing dragon.
“Sorry, Star. But thanks to Silverwind, my dragon is gonna stick around for the next round,” spoke Rainbow.

What?! That works for all your Blackwings?” asked a stunned Star Driver.

“Eeyup,” grinned Rainbow.
“Well, you'll still lose Life Points,” replied Star.

Though the attack connected, the beast remained unfazed as Rainbow Life Points were reduced to 1500.

I’ll end my turn by laying two cards facedown and end my turn. But thanks to ‘Hero Tower’ I can bring back ‘Celestial Hero Airess’ from my Graveyard.”

In a flash of light, the angelic maiden returned to the battlefield. Her stats were changed to 2300/2000.

Let’s see what you can do, Dashie.”
“‘Bout time, Star,” Rainbow teased. “You wanna know something Star?”
What?”
“It’s turn ten and I think it’s time for me to end this duel.”
Talk is cheap, Dash,” replied Star. “And with my Trap card still in play you can't attack me.”
As much as it pains me to admit it, he’s got a point. As long as he has that Trap out I can secure my victory,’ she huffed.

She prepared to draw her card.

“We’ll just see about that,” she said, as she drew her card.

When she saw what it was, she leaped in the air with excitement.

“Awesome! Now, I know I got this duel in the bag,” she exclaimed.

Huh?
“I'll let my card do the talking. I activate the Spell card 'Black Dragon Gale'!”

Black Dragon Gale
ATT: SPELL
Type: Spell Card.
Card Text: You can only activate this card if there's a face-up 'Black-Winged Dragon'. By returning 'Black-Winged Dragon' back to the Extra Deck, destroy all face-up spells and Trap on the field.

“And sending my Black-Winged Dragon back to the Deck, I can destroy every face-up Spell and Trap card on the field.”

Not good...”

As it left the field, the dragon released a powerful gale of swirling black wind. The force of the wind destroyed the massive tower and adjacent building that surrounded it returning the field to its original state. As a result, Star's monsters stats were changed back to their original states (Valkyrie – 2400/2000, Sentry – 2000/1800, Yin – 1900/1500, Airess – 1800/1500). The gale also destroyed 'Hero Evasion'.

Uh-oh...
“And now that that pesky Trap’s out of the way, your monsters’ are easy pickings.”
Crap...
“Next, I equip 'Silverwind' with the Spell card Silver Wings.”

Silver Wings
ATT: SPELL
Type: Equipment Spell Card
Card Text: This card can only be equipped to 'Blackwing - Silverwind the Ascendant. Increase the ATK and DEF of the equipped monster by 700.

At that moment, a pair of light silver wings protruded from the warrior’s back.

“And thanks to this card, he gains 700 ATK and DEF points.”

Silverwind’s stats are then changed to 3500/2700.

“It's been fun this is where it ends. Silverwind take out his Airess and end this duel! Silverwind Slash!” ordered Rainbow.

Her warrior drew his long blade and charged the defenseless maiden.

“Star!” cried Fluttershy.

Not so fast Dash, I still have a trick up my sleeve. I activate the Trap 'Sentry’s Vow.”

Sentry’s Vow
ATT: TRAP
Type: Continuous Trap Card
Card Text: You can only activate this card when 'Celestial Hero Sentry' is face-up on your side of the field. When a monster on your side of the field is the target of an attack, switch the attack to target 'Celestial Hero Sentry'. When 'Celestial Hero Sentry' is removed from the field, destroy this card.

And thanks to this card, you can only select 'Sentry' as a target for your attack.”

Silverwind then changed his direction and headed for Sentry.

“So what, you’re still gonna lose with this attack.”

Silverwind raised his blade to deliver the final blow.

That's what you think, Dash! I activated the Trap card 'Shield of Virtue'.”

Shield of Virtue
ATT: TRAP
Type: Trap Card
Card Text: You can only activate this card when 'Celestial Hero Sentry' is the target of your opponent's attack. Negate the attack and destroy the attacking monster.

And with this card your monster is toast,” grinned Star Driver.

As Silverwind brought down his blade, and large bright orange astral shield appeared in front of Sentry. When his blade connected, Silverwind was engulfed with an orange glow. In a flash, he was destroyed.

“Err...that's okay because I still have my Armor Master! Attack with Blackwing Cannon!”

The armored warrior then launched a devastating beam at the defending maiden.

“It’s over Star.”
Don't count on it, Dash. 'Cause now I activate my final Trap card 'Magic Cylinder'!”

Magic Cylinder
ATT: TRAP
Type: Trap Card
Card Text: Negate the attack of 1 of your opponent's monsters and inflict damage equal to the attacking monster's ATK to your opponent's Life Points.

“Oh no...” asked Rainbow.
And thanks to this card, your attack gets redirected back at your Life Points.”
“Crap...”

In that instance, two large cylinders appeared in front of Sentry. The attack was absorbed by the left cylinder, and the launched at Rainbow Dash from the right one With no way to defend against it, she braced herself for the approaching assault. The impact knocked her off her hooves and sent her crashing to the floor. Her Life Points were reduced to 0.

Sorry, Dash. But never mess with the best.”


On the sidelines, Spike and Fluttershy cheered for their friends.

“That was an awesome match you guys,” applauded Spike.
“I was afraid Star was gonna lose for a second there,” Fluttershy said, after a sigh of relief.
“Woo-wee, I never get tired seein' these two go at it,” chuckled Applejack.
“Indeed, darling. It’s never a dull moment,” spoke Rarity.
“Too bad Dashie lost though. I bet she’s gonna be super duper bummed out,” sighed Pinkie Pie.

On the field, Star walked over to the fallen Rainbow Dash. As she rose to a sitting position, she let out a dejected huff.

“I can’t believe I lost,” she groaned.
But that was a close match, Dash. I kept me on my hooves,” Star grinned, as he extended his hand to help her up.”

Accepting his gesture, Rainbow rose to her hooves.

“Well, I went easy on ya. Seeing how it was your first tournament and all,” Rainbow lied, as she dusted herself off.
Really? Because I could've sworn you summoning three of your most powerful monsters. I doubt that's going ‘easy’ on me,” Star spoke, with a smug grin.

As Pegasus witnessed this, he looked upon Star Driver with pure disdain.

How could he have possibly escaped? Those Wolves assured me that he was secured! And now he’s moving on to the tournament! Ehm will not be pleased,’ he seethed.

He turned his focus to the crowd.

“Let's hear it for these two spectacular duelists,” he said, with a fake smile.

The crowd erupted with applause.

“That concludes our duels for today. The tournament resumes at 8:00 am tomorrow. So until then, enjoy the tournament’s festivities.”

With the final duel of the day finished, the crowds headed for the exits. As the two friends leave the Duel Field, Star is contacted by Moon.

Impressive dueling, Star.
'Thanks, but Dash was a lot tougher than she normally is.
Indeed. While you were dueling I was able to heal some of your wounds. However, my powers have not fully returned, and I fear that our bond may have taken a toll on your body,’ Moon spoke with concern.
No worries, I’m a lot tougher than I look,’ grinned Star.
I see. You're a unique stallion Star Driver. It must have been destiny that brought us together.’
Who knows,’ Star mentally shrugged. ‘But I know we're gonna be great partners.’
That is for certain. I shall depart for now, but should you need me again merely call for me..’

With that, Star felt Moon's presence vanish. The moment he left, Star immediately felt drained.

Okay...I guess Moon wasn’t kidding about the effect our bond would have.

Before he reached the group, Star collapsed to the ground.

STAR!” Fluttershy shouted as she ran to her fallen friend.

Upon reaching her friend, she turned him over to see that he was unconscious.

“Star...Star...STAR!” Fluttershy spoke, trying to wake her friend.

In the midst of this, Princess Celestia had teleported down to the field.

“What happened?” she asked.
“We don't know, he just collapsed all of sudden,” explained Twilight.

Celestia knelt to inspect the young colt. She then noticed the pendant around his neck.

The Millennium Pendant? Where did he...?’ she thought to herself. ‘This is quite the development.

She turned to the group.

“Bring him to my chambers, I’ll see what I can do for him,” Celestia instructed.
“Yes ma’am,” the others responded.

Applejack and Spike then lifted Star off the ground and carried him on their shoulders. As Pegasus witnessed this he couldn’t help but smile as he watched Star being carried off.

That’s quite a shame. I do hope he’ll be alright,’ chuckled Pegasus.

He felt Ehm summon him.

Pegasus!
Y-Yes, my mistress...
Meet me in your chambers...NOW!

He slightly flinched at that last word.

As y-you wish, my mistress...

He took his leave to retreat to his private chambers, but not before Celestia noticed his strange behavior.

Just what is he up to?’ she questioned.


As he made his way to his private chambers, Pegasus made sure that he was not followed. Upon reaching his opal doors, he looked around once more to see if anypony was around. Once the coast was clear, he entered swiftly into his room and quickly shut the door behind him. Inside he walked to the large vanity mirror and awaited his mistress to appear. A familiar violet aura engulfed the border of the mirror. Within the mirror, Ehm was engulfed by a dark violet flame sitting on a throne. The only thing that could be seen of her through the flames was her magenta eyes as she glared at Pegasus. He quickly knelt before her with his face pointed toward the ground.

“A thousand apologies, my mistress. Had I’d known those dogs would’ve-” he tried to explain.
SILENCE!,” she bellowed. ”I grow tired of your excuses, Pegasus.”
“Mistress Ehm...please have mercy on me.”
“Fortunately for you, your blunder seems to have worked in your favor.”

This caused him to avert his gaze from the floor.

“What do you mean, my mistress?”
“Just look, servant.”

She shows the amount of energy that was collected for Star’s duel.

“Is that...?” he asked in disbelief.
“Indeed it is Pegasus. This energy that was collected is twice as powerful as the ones from the previous duels combined. With this much power collected from that foal, my coming will be sooner than expected.”
“So what does this mean for the plan? Remember we still need the power of the six,” explained Pegasus.
“It means that we will be moving on to phase two,” Ehm grinned.
“Phase two?! But, my mistress how can we move to that phase without attracting attention?”

A devilish smirk appeared on Ehm’s face.

“I have made arrangements to ensure that they will be taken without raising suspicion.”

Her magenta eyes were then illuminated, and the room was filled with a bright violet. When the light faded, Pegasus turned around to see a large dark violet portal had appeared behind him.

“Say hello to the newest generals of my Abyssal Knights...”

The two cloaked figures then emerged from the portal. One was a tall, stocky figure garbed in a crimson cloak, while the other was tall as well, but more slender and curvaceous and dressed in a dark green cloak.

“And who are they?” asked Pegasus, as he turned his head back to the mirror.

The slender figure then chuckled.

“I would think it’d be obvious who we are, Pegasus”

Pegasus' eyes widened greatly as he snapped his head back to the figures.

“It can’t be...” he gasped, knowing the figure that stood before him.

The slender figure removed its hood to reveal a female changeling with a dark gray coat reflecting the light from the flame of the mirror. As Pegasus stared into her harlequin eyes, which were decorated with deep opal eyeshadow, Pegasus knew it was the ruler of the Changelings, Queen Chrysalis. As she walked over to the mirror her long, dark cerulean hair swayed to and fro, Pegasus couldn’t believe his eyes.

Why would my mistress enlist the help of her?’ he thought.

As she passed him, she noticed something on her hand. It was a golden ring with mystic craving and a large eye with an emerald gem in the center of it.

The Millennium Ring!? How did she get that?!

As Chrysalis knelt before her, Ehm called out to the other figure.

“Sombra, come forth.”

The stocky figure removed the hood to reveal a unicorn stallion with a fiery red horn, dark gray coat, and a pulled-back black mane.

“Yes, my mistress.”

As he glared at Pegasus with his scarlet red pupils, surrounded by his green iris engulfed by a black and violet aura, to former monarch of the Crystal Empire, King Sombra, made his way to the mirror. Pegasus stood in disbelief, as he saw the previously thought was destroyed tyrant walking before him.

How is this possible? He was destroyed by the Crystal Heart?!

As Sombra passed Pegasus, he noticed the tyrant wielded an ancient Saddle Arabian rod

The Millennium Rod? Why did my mistress grant these vagabonds such powerful relics?

Now knelt before her, the two of the most dangerous ponies in Equestria awaited their mistress’ command.

“Rise, my servants,” she ordered.

As she commanded, the two rose to their hooves.

“What is your command, my mistress?” spoke Sombra.
“You will assist Pegasus with proceeding with phase two of our plan,” Ehm explained.
“And what of Celestia? Surely she won’t be in the dark too long about our intentions,” asked Chrysalis.
“That’s where you and your children come into play, my dear,” Ehm spoke with a devilish smile.

Author's Note:

Thanks to Utopianking for one of Star's catchphrases. In case you were wondering (as with all yugioh protagonist) has a series of phrases.
1. It's time to shine.
2. Let's check the deck (Utopianking's phrase).
3. Never mess with the best.

PreviousChapters Next