• Published 8th May 2013
  • 4,671 Views, 334 Comments

Po-Ni-Oh!: Rise of the Heroes - flawlessvictory20



Follow the exploits of young pegasus named Star Driver as he sets out to become the next King of Games.

  • ...
13
 334
 4,671

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 23 - Derpy's Flames and Phantom's Shadows

The crowd erupted with anticipation as they waited for the next match to start. On the sidelines, the two duelists were making their way to the field.
“This is gonna be fun,” cheered Derpy.
“I wish you the best of luck,” spoke Phantom.
“You too,” Derpy replied.

Before she got the stage steps, she tripped and fell. This caused some of the crowd to laugh.
“Oh my, are you okay?” asked Phantom.
“Yeah, I’m fine. It happens to me all the time,” she said, with a sheepish smile.

Once she was on her hooves, she dusted herself off and headed onto the field.
“What a funny mare she is,” noted Phantom.

As she reached the other steps, she was stopped by Star.
“Say, Phantom. A little piece of advice,” spoke Star.
“Sure, what is it?” she responded.

She then saw that Star had a serious look on his face.
“Just…don’t take Derpy lightly,” he warned. “She may act silly off the field, but once the match starts you’ll see a different mare.”
“Is that so?”
“Yes…just be on guard.”
“Okay, I’ll keep that in mind. Thank you, Star.”
“No problem. Good luck out there.”
“I’ll give it my all.”

She then made her way on to the field. As the two met at the center of the Duel Field, they greeted each other with a smile as they started to shuffle each other’s decks.
“Let’s have a good match, Derpy,” said Phantom.
“Yeah, I can’t wait to get started,” beamed Derpy.

--------------------

On the sidelines, Star and the others look on with eagerness.
“You think Phantom is gonna be okay out there, Star?” asked Pinkie Pie.
“I think so, but it’s a tough break she got Derpy,” he sighed.
“Why? What’s so scary about that dweeb?” mocked Gilda.

Gilda then noticed that Star looked at her with a serious expression.
“You have no idea,” he spoke.
“What do you mean?” she asked with an arched eyebrow.

Star then turned his attention back to the field.
“Just wait and see.”

--------------------

Back on the field, the two had just finished shuffling their decks. They then retreated to their respective Duel Zones.
“Duelist ready?” asked Pegasus.

They both nodded in agreement. Derpy then closed her eyes.
Why is she closing her eyes? thought Phantom.
“And begin!” Pegasus instructed.

With that, Derpy opened her eyes. When she did, Phantom noticed her demeanor had changed. She gave off a serious presence on the field. Even her normally askewed eyes were now focused on Phantom.
“I’ll start things off,” Derpy stated, as she drew her card.
She’s changed!

After she looked at her card, Derpy proceeded with her turn.
“I summon ‘Solar Flare Dragon’ in attack mode,” she spoke.

Solar Flare Dragon
ATT: FIRE
Level: 4 stars
Type:Pyro/Effect
Card Text: While you control another Pyro-Type monster, this card cannot be attacked. During each of your End Phases: Inflict 500 damage to your opponent.
ATK/DEF: 1500/1000

Just then a fierce dragon emerged onto the field. Its hide was wrapped in golden flames while it’s under belly looked like hot coals.
“Next, I place two cards facedown and end my turn,” Derpy stated. “And thanks to my monster’s effect, you lose 500 Life Points.”

The molten dragon then emitted a subtle heat burst that caused Phantom to slightly flinch. Her Life Points were reduced to 3500.
Hmm, I better not take this mare lightly,’ thought Phantom, as she drew her card.

With a quick glance at her hand she proceeded with her turn.
“I summon ‘Archfiend Soldier’ in attack mode,” she said.

Archfiend Soldier
ATT: DARK
Level: 4 stars
Type: Fiend
ATK/DEF: 1900/1500

A towering warrior then emerged onto the field. The warrior has purple skin that was outlined with beige bones; his head donned two large horns, large razor sharp claws and piercing yellow eyes. It wore a long tattered olive cape with red lining, bone gauntlets with silver spikes and skeletal boots. The fiend warrior wielded a jagged scimitar.
“Now, my beast! Attack her with Nightmare Slash!”

The towering warrior then charged the molten dragon. To this, Derpy just grinned.
“Nice try, but I activate the Trap card ‘Gravity Bind’,” she stated, as she revealed on of her facedown cards.

Gravity Bind
ATT: TRAP
Type: Continuous Trap Card
Card Text: Level 4 or higher monsters cannot attack.

A large light blue orb then emerged onto field. The orb then emitted a subtle wave that caused Phantom’s monster to stop in its tracks.
“What?” Phantom said in disbelief.
“Sorry, but thanks to my trap monsters with 4 stars or more can’t attack,” Derpy explained.
“Err…I’ll end my turn by placing this card facedown.
“Very well, it’s my turn,” spoke Derpy.

She then drew her card.
“Hmm, first I summon ‘Fire Trooper’ to the field in attack mode.”

Fire Trooper
ATT: FIRE
Level: 3 stars
Card Text: When this card is Summoned, you can send it to the Graveyard to inflict 1000 damage to your opponent.
ATK/DEF: 1000/1000

At that moment, a fiery fiend emerged on the field. Its hands and face were engulfed with flames. I wore black armor with goldenrod trim with a long sleeved shirt and white pants, black gauntlets with golden rod trim and a tattered purple cape.
“I then activate it special ability. By sacrificing it, I can inflict 1000 points of direct damage to your Life Points.”
“Oh no…” gasped Phantom.

The warrior vanished from the field and transform into a ball of fire. It then launched itself toward Phantom with great force. The impact caused her to flinch as her Life Points were reduced to 2500.
“I then end my turn, which activates my dragon’s ability again,” stated Derpy.

The molten dragon then emitted yet another heat burst, which caused Phantom to recoil. Her Life Points were then reduced to 2000.
“It’s your move, Phantom.”

--------------------

On the sidelines, the group was left speechless.
“W-What the…? How can that ditzy pegasus be that good?” asked Gilda in disbelief.
“I told you not to underestimate her. She may be a klutz off the field, but on the field she a brilliant strategists,” stated Star.
“But…how?” Gilda replied.

They all shrug.
“We’re not really sure why her personality changes, but we’ve learned to never underestimate her in a duel,” Twilight answered.
“I just hope Phantom can turn this duel around,” spoke a worried Star.

--------------------

Back on the field, Phantom was trying to analyze the situation.
I didn’t expect her to be this good. But I guess she’s in the finals for a reason,’ she thought.

She then drew her card. When she glanced at it she let out a sigh of relief.
This could help me out big time.

She flashed a confident grin as she adjusted her glasses.
“First, I sacrifice ‘Archfiend Solider’ to summon ‘Phantus Archer’ in Attack Mode.”

Phantus Archer
ATT: DARK
Level: 5 stars
Type: Fiend/Effect
Card Text: Once per turn, you can discard 1 card from your hand and destroy one monster on your opponent’s side of the field. You opponent loses Life Points equal to the destroyed monster’s level x 200.
ATK/DEF: 2000/1500

Just then, a dark vortex appeared in the middle of the Duel Field. At that moment, a young mare leapt from it and landed in front of Phantom. The young mare had a dark azure coat, long raven mane tied back into a ponytail, and piercing cyan eyes. She wore a black long sleeved shirt with a maroon vest, a crimson scarf that covers her mouth, dark brown archer’s gloves, a black mini skirt with midnight blue leggings, silver chained belt.
“And what is that?” asked Derpy.
“She’s my ace archer. And I now activate her special ability. By sending one card from my hand to the Graveyard, I can destroy one monster on your side of the field,” Phantom explained.
“What?!”

At that time, Phantom selected a card from her hand and sent to the Graveyard. As soon as this happened, the mare archer took aim at the fiery dragon. Within seconds, she released her arrow and instantly destroyed the dragon.
“Oh, I forgot to mention that when your monster is destroyed you lose 800 Life Points,” said Phantom.
“Err…”

Derpy’s Life Points was reduced to 3200.
“And that will do it for now,” Phantom stated.

--------------------

Back in the Abyssal Realm, Ehm had made back to her chambers to continue to watch the tournament. As she looked on, she couldn’t help smile.
Everything is going as planned. Soon three of the Elements will be under my control,’ she grinned.

At that moment, she heard her chamber door open. When she turned from her mirror, she saw that her commander King Sombra had entered in. As he reached her, he bowed in reverence to her.
“Rise, my servant,” she spoke.

He then rose to his hooves.
“How are things progressing?” she asked.
“Things are going according to plan. While the fool Lightning Dust failed to beat one of the Elements, I’m confident that the other three will be under our control soon,” Sombra explained.
“Good, and what of that nuisance Star Driver?”

To that, Sombra darkly chuckled.
“Oh he will be dealt with shortly, my shadow is already scoping the city for potential slaves to do my bidding.”
“Excellent, I’m counting on both you and Chrysalis for my plan to succeed.”
“I will not let you down, my mistress,” Sombra bowed.
“I know you won’t my dear commander,” she said with a knowing smile.

Sombra then took his leave and Ehm turned her attention back to the duel. But her focus would often drift toward Star. She knew he was the one pony that could hinder her plan, and wanted nothing but to eliminate him once and for all. But somewhere deep within her subconscious, a small voice was pleading for her to stop. She quickly dismissed it and continued to plot her take over.
I’ve waited for this for over a millennia, and I’ll be damned if some uppity stallion is going to get in my way,’ she thought, as she glared at the clueless stallion. ‘Enjoy the tournament while you can Star. Because you soon will found your soul lost in the Abyss.

At that same time, Star felt an eerie chill creep up his spine.
Whoa, what was that just now, he thought.

He then heard the voice of Moon call out to him.
Star, did you just feel that? asked Moon.
That eerie chill?
Yes…
Yeah, I don’t know why but it feels like I’m being watched.
Well, it very well may be that Ehm is watching us.
That’s just-
“Hello Star…Equestria to Star! You in there?” asked Pinkie Pie, as she waved her hands in front of his face.

That caused Star to snap out of his internal dialogue and return to reality.
“Huh? Did you say something Pinkie?”
“Yeah, I was asking ya what’d you think of the duel so far?”
“Oh, sorry…”
“Whatcha spacing out for?”
“It’s nothing, just got a lot on my mind is all?”
“Is it about what Princess Celestia told us last night?” asked Twilight.
“Yeah, guess taking time to really process it,” he lied.
“Don’t even worry about it. You got us, and you know we got your back,” said Rainbow Dash.
“Yeah, thanks guys,” said Star.

He then turned his attention back to the field.
“I wonder how Derpy’s gonna respond to Phantom’s counter?”
“I’m sure it will be a calculated move,” spoke Twilight.

--------------------

Back on the field, Derpy proceeded with her turn.
“That was quite an unexpected counter to pulled, Phantom,” Derpy spoke, as drew her card. “I’m rather impressed.”
“Thanks, Derpy,” replied Phantom.

When Derpy looked at her card a smile snaked across her muzzle.
“Perfect! I activate the Spell card ‘Final Flame’.”

Final Flame
ATT: SPELL
Type: Spell Card
Card Text: Inflict 600 points of damage to your opponent's Life Points.

“And thanks to this card, you lose 600 Life Points,” Derpy stated.
“Uh-oh…” gulped Phantom.

Phantom is then hit by a large fireball, which caused her Life Points to be reduced to 1200.
“Next, summon another ‘Solar Flare Dragon’ to the field.”

Just then another molten dragon then emerged onto the field.
“I guess I’ll have to deal with that dragon on my next turn,” Phantom said.
“Oh, there won’t be a next turn,” Derpy spoke, with a cocky grin.
“What do you mean?”
“Simple, I activate the Trap card ‘Spiritual Fire Art – Kurenai’.”

Spiritual Fire Art - Kurenai
ATT: TRAP
Type: Trap Card
Card Text: Tribute 1 FIRE monster. Inflict damage to your opponent equal to that monster's original ATK.

“And thanks to his card I can sacrifice my ‘Solar Flare Dragon’ and inflict 1500 points of damage to your Life Points,” Derpy spoke.
Oh no,’ gulped Phantom.

The molten dragon then left the field and transformed into a giant fireball.
“Phantom!” Star shouted.

Derpy then looked at her with a confident smirk.
“Sorry, Phantom. But this duel is over…”

PreviousChapters Next