• Published 8th May 2013
  • 4,679 Views, 334 Comments

Po-Ni-Oh!: Rise of the Heroes - flawlessvictory20



Follow the exploits of young pegasus named Star Driver as he sets out to become the next King of Games.

  • ...
13
 334
 4,679

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27 - Catch an Apple (part 01)

Elsewhere in the Crystal Empire, Sombra’s shadow observed the city from the shadow. Still angered by his last attempt to eliminate the thorn in his empress side, he plots his next move.

“The last pawn was completely useless! Now, what to do next?” he brooded.

He saw the Apple Family walk by. He formulated a new plan.

“If I can’t get that fool. I’ll get the next best thing,” he grinned.

He donned a dark cloak and proceeded into the crowd. Once again, he examined crowd for another potential pawn for his plan. He soon found a young white pegasus pony stallion in the midst of the crowd. He short blonde mane and olive eyes. He wore a simple t-shirt, wrist bands, and shorts.

Hmm…he looks promising,’ the shadow grinned.

Once he was sure the boy would be in a secluded area, and approached him.

“Hello there young colt. May I have a moment of your time?” he asked.

The colt turned to him a bit hesitant to respond.

“S-Sure I guess. But why me?” the young colt spoke, ready to run if the moment called for it.

“You seem like an interesting colt. Tell me, what’s your name?”

“It’s…um Bolt…” timidly said the colt as he looked around to see if there were any other ponies within shouting distance.

“And are you a duelist?” the shadow asked.

“Ye...yeah, why do to ask?”

“I see. Tell me… are you strong?

“I…uh...I wouldn’t really call myself strong,” the colt said as he subtly backed away. “But I guess I would say I am decent duelist.”

He could sense his vulnerable spirit and need that he could easily control him.

“Hmm...you may prove useful to me,” the figure chuckled.

“Wait, what do you mean by tha–?”

Before he could finish, Sombra casted a spell to hold Bolt in place. He then held up the Millennium Rod to cast a similar mind controlling spell. Bolt felt his very mind succumb to the dark powers and then fell into a deep trance. Sombra chuckled coldly as he released his new toy from his magical grip.

“Now, slave. I have a task for you,” he spoke.

Bolt bowed to his new master.

“What do you ask of me, master?”

“You’re going to duel one of the Elements of Harmony, Applejack,” he instructed. “Failure isn’t an option!”

Bolt bowed to him.

“Yes, master.”


Later on, Applejack had broken away from her family to enjoy some of the festival games. After winning a few prizes she decided it was time to head back to her family.

“Ah think Ah did alright,” she said as she lugged her bag of prizes.

As she made her way through the town, she took notice of just how many beings came to watch the tournament.

“Whoo wee this place sure is lively–” she chuckled before she bumped into someone.

The impact caused the bystander to fall to the ground.

“Aw shucks Ah’m sorry. Ah shoulda be looking where Ah was goin’?” she apologized.

Bolt rubbed his head. Applejack offered the fallen colt a hand.

“Y’all alright?” she asked

“Yeah…I think so,” he replied accepting her help up.

“Sorry, pardner. Ah shoulda been paying attention to where Ah was going.”

“No…no…I wasn’t paying attention. So, don’t worry about it.”

“If ya say so,” she smiled.

As he smiled back, his mind tried to formulate a plan.

How am I supposed to get her alone?’ he thought.

“Something on you mind, pardner?” she asked.

Knowing she was a skilled duelist, he decided to try the simplest tactic he could think of.

“Excuse me miss. W-would you mind having a duel with me?” he timidly asked.

“Y’all wanna duel me?” she replied with a smile. “Sure, Ah could use the practice.”

“Really? Thanks. Um follow me. I know a field we can use.”

“Sure, lead the way.”

As they walked through the crowd, Sombra contacted him telepathically.

Excellent work my slave,’ he spoke.

Thank you master. I’ll be sure to end this quickly. Soon our mistress will have another element of Harmony in her possession,’ Bolt stated.

That’s what I like to hear,’ grinned Sombra.

His internally dialogue was interrupted by Applejack calling out to him.

“Say, how much further is it?” she queried.

He turn to her and smiled.

“No, it’s only a few more minutes,” he noted.

“Okay then…”

After a few minutes, they reached a secluded park just outside the stadium.

“Here we are,” Bolt stated, as he put on his Duel Disc.

“Hmm…seems like a nice fer a duel,” she stated as she activated her Duel Disc. “Alright pardner, don’t expect me to go easy on ya.”

Before they started, she noticed that something was off. It was almost if he was fighting an internal struggle.

“Bolt? Y’all okay?” she asked a bit worried.

“Applejack…I’m…I’m sorry,” he uttered, his eyes had tears welling up.

“Huh? Sorry for what?”

Before he could reply, a golden light overtook his body and the field was shrouded in a dark haze.

“What in tarnation?” she gasped.

Sombra then took control of the young stallion’s mind and began to speak through him.

“Greetings, Applejack,” Sombra spoke.

“Bolt? What’s goin’ on? What happened ta yer voice?” she asked a bit confused.

“I’m afraid young Bolt is under my control,” he answered.

“Who the heck are you?”

“I am the rightful ruler of the Crystal Empire, King Sombra!” he declared.

Applejack’s eyes widened in disbelief.

What?! That’s impossible! Y’all were destroyed by the Crystal Heart!”

“Not completely. My horn survived, and I was reborn by my beloved Empress Ehm,” he spoke. “Now, through the power of the Millennium Rod, I have created this shadow game.”

“Shadow Game?” questioned Applejack

“Yes, you two will fight here in the Abyssal Realm. And the loser’s soul will be sent to the Abyss!” explained Sombra.

“No…”

“Now begin!”

He then left Bolt’s body and the young stallion drew his starting hand.

“Bolt don’t this!” pleaded Applejack.

He drew his first card.

“I don’t have a choice, Applejack!” Bolt spoke before he looked at his card. “First, I activate the Spell card ‘Photon Lead’.”

Photon Lead
ATT: SPELL
Type: Quick-Play Spell Card
Card Text: Special Summon 1 level 4 or lower LIGHT monster from your hand in face-up Attack Position.

“With this, I can Special Summon a level 4 or lower monster from my hand. And I summon, ‘Aria the Melodious Diva in Defense Mode,” he stated.

Aria the Melodious Diva
ATT: LIGHT
Level: 4 stars
Type: Fairy/Effect
Card Text: While the Special Summoned card is on the field, “Melodious” monsters you control cannot be targeted by card effects or be destroyed by battle.
ATK/DEF: 1600/1200

A music tune played as humanoid maiden appeared on the field. She was a petite woman with peach skin, short violet hair and gentle red eyes. As she twirled about the light orange partial mask (covering her left eye) she wore seemed to accent her eyes. Her attire of a maroon sweetheart neckline leotard (with a midriff window, bronze yellow trim her hips, and light pink frills on the border of the breast [with an light orange decorative design along the left arm]) gave a playful demeanor to the maiden. She completed the ensemble with a pink skirt, which swayed as she moved and knee high boots.

“Next, I set 3 cards facedown and end my turn.”

Ah guess Ah got no choice’ groaned Applejack as she drew her card. “Ah summon Amazoness Paladin in Attack Mode.”

Amazoness Paladin
ATT: EARTH
Level: 4 stars
Type: Warrior/Type
Card Text: This card gains 100 ATK for each "Amazoness" monster you control.
ATK/DEF: 1700/0300

A tribal beat filled the area as a tall humanoid warrior appear on the field. This buxom female warrior with tan skin which accented her long, flowing blonde hair. Her grayish green eyes glared intently at foe as she stood confidently. Her tattered sienna cloak with a gold headband and decorative plum feathers billowed in a windless gust. Her sweetheart tube top and a tattered dress with golden waistband show off her feminine frame. Her arms were adorned two golden bands on each arm, long wristbands and sandals. She also wielded medium length blade sword, which she planted in the ground.

“And thanks ta her effect, she gains 100 ATK,” stated Applejack.

Amazoness Paladin’s ATK was changed to 1800.

“Now Paladin, attack his monster!”

She heeded her master’s command, and charged into battle.

“Aria has a special effect Applejack! Whenever she was special summon, all Melodious monsters can’t be targeted by card effects and can’t be destroyed by battle,” he explained.

“That maybe, but y’all still lose Life Points,” countered Applejack

As her paladin delivered a slash the defending maiden, Bolt was hit with the resulting shockwave and lost 200 LP.

“Ah’ll place 2 card facedown and end mah turn.”

“I draw,” Bolt spoke. “Since I control a ‘Melodious’ monster, I can Special Summon ‘Canon, the Melodious Diva’ in defense mode.”

Canon the Melodious Diva
ATT: LIGHT
Level: 4 stars
Type: Fairy/Effect
Card Text: If you control a “Melodious” monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). You can only Special Summon “Canon the Melodious Diva” once per turn this way. Once per turn, you can target 1 “Melodious” monster you control: change its Battle Position.
ATK/DEF: 1400/2000

There was the sound of wind that seemed to carry notes from flutes; then came the harbinger of the Fey Folk. The lilac skinned humanoid seemed to be a wingless fairy with blue hair that was styled to resemble a flame. Her face was mostly hidden by a golden mask that complemented a dress fit for a performer. The ensemble of black and blue checkerboard pattern for the short skirt segment flowed with plain yet elegant purple torso and puffed shoulders. Her stance said she was there to perform and her stoic expression worn on the unhidden lower half of her face said that her stage was a battlefield.

Before he continued, his shook his head. He looked Applejack with a sorrowful expression.

“I’m sorry Applejack. He tricked me…”

“That’s alright, sugarcube. Ah’ll try to get us out of this mess. When ya summoned yer monster, ya activated mah trap card ‘Torrential Tribute’.”

Torrential Tribute
ATT: TRAP
Type: Trap Card
Card Text: When a monster(s) is Summoned: Destroy all monsters on the field.

“This card destroys every monster on the field. And since your monsters aren’t begin targeted they’re destroyed along with mah monster.”

A huge wave appeared on the field and washed away the monsters on the field.

“I activate my Trap card ‘Oasis of the Dragon Souls,” he declared

Oasis of the Dragon Souls
ATT: TRAP
Type: Continuous Trap Card
Card Text: Activate this card by targeting 1 monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it in Defense Position. It becomes a Wyrm-type. When this card leaves the field, destroy that monster. When that monster leaves the field, destroy this card.

“And with this, I bring back Aria in defense mode.”

The fallen maiden return to the field in a kneeling stance.

“That’ll I end my turn.”

“Okay then, mah go!” she spoke as she drew her card. “Bolt, ya gotta try and fight his control.”

“I can’t! I'm too weak to fight!” he cried, as the tears swelled in his eyes. “I-I’m not important enough for you to save! Just hurry and win!”

“But Ah do you’ll be sent to the Abyss. Ah can’t!” she spoke.

Before he could respond, Sombra used the power of his Millennium Rod to alter Bolt’s mind. He looked to her with a piercing glare.

“It’s no use Applejack! I’m going to beat you! My master has use of your element,” he coldly spoke.

“Bolt please fight it!” pleaded Applejack.

Sombra then spoke through him.

“If you really wanted that pathetic colt you have to win! And just think, this fool isn’t even using his strongest deck,” Sombra spoke.

In a moment of temporary defiance, Bolt grabbed a box from his back pocket and tossed it to Applejack. When she caught it she noticed it filled with cards.

“What are these cards?” she asked.

He looked to her with a tearful expression.

“It’s a deck called Magispecters. It was given to me by my mom before she passed away.

As Sombra tried to force his will onto the young colt’s mind, he grasped his head with his hands.

“Get out of my head!” he cried. “M-My mom…she knew I had problems. She gave me that deck to help give me strength, but I’ve been too scared to use it cuz I can’t live up to her legacy.”

“Sugarcube...”

Sombra took over him again.

“Stop stalling and make your move!” he barked.

“Fine! Ah summon ‘Amazoness Sage’ in Attack Mode!”

Amazoness Sage
ATT: EARTH
Level: 4 stars
Type: Warrior/Type
Card Text: At the end of the Damage Step, if this card attacked and is still on the field: Target 1 Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls; destroy that target.
ATK/DEF: 1400/0700

A flash of white hot petals erupted from nothing and from its core emerged a humanoid figure. As the radiance from the foliage faded, the body of a dark skinned humanoid female with long, woven blue hair and silver blue eyes confidently stepped forward. Shamanistic head band and necklace accent a crimson, tribal loincloth and black wrapping along her hips. Her chest was lightly covered by a black supportive garb adorned with golden leaves hanging from it while a grey, weather worn cloak flowed off her back. Sleek black bracers guarded her forearms while her hands purposefully grasped a long staff leading to a hollow ring for a headpiece. The ring itself was adorned with more golden leaves and the skulls of small birds. She stood steadfast with an indefatigable purpose.

“And Ah equip her with the spell card ‘Amazoness Heirloom’.”

Amazoness Heirloom
ATT: SPELL
Type: Equipment Spell Card
Card Text: Equip only to an “Amazoness” monster. Once per turn, that monster cannot be destroyed by battle. When the equipped monster attacks, after damage calculation, destroy the attack target.

As she spoke a necklace with a large tribal pendant appeared around her neck.

“That’ll do it fer now.”

“I draw!” Bolt spoke. First, I activated another ‘Photon Lead’ from my hand and this time I summon ‘Soprano of the Melodious Diva’ in Attack Mode.”

Soprano the Melodious Songstress
ATT: LIGHT
Level: 4 stars
Type: Fairy/Effect
Card Text: When this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 ‘Melodious’ monster in your Graveyard except ‘Soprano the Melodious Songstress’; add it to your hand. You can only use this effect of ‘Soprano the Melodious Songstress’ once per turn. Once per turn: you can Fusion Summon 1 ‘Melodious’ Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters you control as Fusion Materials, including this card
ATK/DEF: 1400/1400

A powerful and somehow melodious bellow called from an empty space before it was occupied by a humanoid of Fey descent. Her pale green skin was overshadowed by her vibrant, long fuchsia hair and regal attire. Her flowing white dress almost hid short heeled, dark purple shoes while her torso was guarded by a purple and gold piece of decorative armor that paid homage to Egyptian design. Light yellow wrappings covered her forehead while a decoration that almost resembled a tiny, purple squid like entity peeked out from under it. Her voice carried a deep baritone note as her body forms; either a wordless battle cry or the opening to a siren’s song.

“Due to her effect, whenever she’s Special Summoned to the field, I can bring back 1 “Melodious” monster and add it to my hand. I choose to bring back ‘Canon’. And thanks to her effect I can Special summon her to the field in Attack Mode!” stated Bolt.

The playful maiden arrived back onto the field.

“Now’s the time for this duel to go into next stage! I overlay Lv4 Soprano and Canon to build the Overlay Network!”

At that moment, a giant black vortex appeared above the field. The two maidens took to the sky and jumped into the vortex.

“I Xyz Summon Starliege Paladynamo in Attack mode!” declared Bolt.

Starliege Paladynamo
ATT: LIGHT
Rank: 4 stars
Type: Warrior/Xyz/Effect
Material Monsters: 2 level 4 LIGHT monsters
Card Text: Once per turn: You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card to target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; its ATK become 0, and if it does, it’s effect are negated. When this card you control is destroyed by your opponent’s card (either by battle or by card effect) and sent to your Graveyard: Draw 1 card.
ATK/DEF: 2000/1000

Cosmic hues of purple and blue form as a humanoid either made of or clad in gleaming metal appeared. The stalwart knight of unknown origin stood proudly as heavy plates of silver and blue glisten in the light behind it. Strange mechanizations with bright yellow orbs within them protruded from its shoulders and broad and sharp, wing like plates extended behind it. Brilliant gems of a faint blues green accented its knees and a greatsword with a blue, transparent edge and core was effortlessly wielded in one of its blue metallic hands.

Err, this doesn’t look fer me,’ Applejack gulped.

Author's Note:

Thanks to Rp StarHunter
for the use of their OC Bolt. Also, thanks to my bro GivingSpider for helping with monster descriptions

PreviousChapters Next