The Writers' Group 9,300 members · 56,460 stories
Comments ( 28 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 28

I just want to say that I love and adore the way Fimfic is set up. Finding stories and reading them is easy, leaving comments and rating stories are easy, and finding stories by word count, like ratio, or other factors is super easy. I've tried looking for fanfiction in other fandoms to little success because the layout of their websites is garbage or just too confusing to me (Fanfiction.net). So, I would just like to know if there are any other fan fiction websites with a layout similar to Fimfic. I'm not looking for a specific fandom, hell it could be a Telatubby fanfic site for all I care, I just want to find another website with a similar style or layout that looks appealing and makes reading stories easy. Could anyone recommend a fanfic site for other fandoms?

They are not, at last not like this one

Nope. There aren't any. I've searched and searched, and for any fandom I type in the search bar, I'm redirected to Fanfiction.net. Fimfiction is the only fanfiction site where fans can connect as they do. The closest thing you'll get is Wattpad, but even that's not up to this site's standards. Another reason to be part of this fandom. Cheers, mate!

Archive of our own would be the closest one, but even then it's not as easy to navigate as Fimfic. But it's a lot better than Fanfiction.net

Have you explored Royal Road?

I'll have to check this out a bit more later. Looks promising.

Most fandoms use fanfic.net or AO3. AO3 is like drinking from a firehose, though it has a good tagging system and there’s certainly quality stuff on there. Never spent much time with fanfic.net since iirc the don’t allow mature stuff.

Knighty said that he was going to expand fimfic to include other fandoms. But that was years ago, so who knows how committed he is to that goal now.

no but there should be. The furries, for an example, have had several large sites over the years, most of which were shit, the last iteration of which, Sofurry, is about as intuitive as working a rubix cube with your elbows. Furries, many of whom actually identify with animals, as in they think they are wolves or honey badgers or the occassional sexy platypus, have less the drive then bronies in this regard.

Say what you will about bronies, they're at least passionate enough about their weird proclivities as to see them made manifest in Creation

Youtube is going after yahtzee right now

AO3 isn’t as intuitive and easy to navigate as this site, but they tend to have the same level of quality assurance as here. Once you get used to it, it won’t be too hard to find what you’re looking for.

Furries, many of whom actually identify with animals,

You're thinking of Otherkin. Furries, as a rule, generally understand that their pastime is rooted in appreciation of fiction and fantasy.

I seem to recall a fair few of them having that mentality before the otherkin reared their multi colored hair bearing heads, but I'm more then likely mistaken on the matter.

Allegedly, the Fimfic admins are working on an expansion of it into ‘genfic’ which would work the same way but allow all kinds of fiction to be posted on it.
This has been ‘coming soon’ for literally years though. Who knows if it’s ever going to really happen.

7234925 Any time now...

Not even close and that's why I'm extremely grateful this site is a thing.

Considering that this site has been up for nearly a decade at this point, I'm shocked that no other site has simply aped it's features. It's not as though Knighty is doing anything cutting edge behind the scenes; it's just (from a technical standpoint) a better UI for accessing a database.

I've gotten the impression that website designers are like avant-garde artists; if you have a criticism of their work, that's just because you don't have their magnificent vision. There's no such thing as a bad UI, just unenlightened users.

Deviantart/DA does have a bunch of MLP groups there that accept stories and artwork.
Unfortunately, if you want to get a story pre-read or edited, I don't know how you can do that.

DA is like a big city where everything is spread out and you have to search.
I spend more time here than on that site.

But it's alright if you want to do original stuff.
Also there are some groups that support fanfiction along with the MLP centric groups.

shhh... some think that being on a site with avant-garde functions like this seems to make them better somehow. especially considering that the "ugly" sites are the basis for the modern ones they snob about so...

as for the Valid but stupidly worded question... I don't think so, but I'd love it if the other sites tried their versions of FimFic's functionality, especially on Publishing.

That's an interesting one. I can't be sure, but it looks to me as though some elements of its design are at least strongly inspired by Fimfiction. (RR started in 2013, so Fimfiction came first.) There are some irritations (EPUB export only at the paid level!) but it's certainly a step up in design from AO3 or FF.net.

Knighty has abandoned us, if a quick glance at his twitter feed has not already made that glaringly obvious.

This site is a reanimated skeleton running on dark necromancy.

Fitting, really.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 28