The Writers' Group 9,300 members · 56,458 stories
Comments ( 24 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 24

Some people, like me, download the ePub versions of stories here on fimfiction and read them on mobile.

All we can see is the cover. There's no metadata available to us without actually opening the book. and when your digital library is filled with hundreds of books, this becomes a problem. Going through every single book I've downloaded to find the one I want is so frustrating that I'll often just give up and pull up the site when I get home.

So please, please put the title of your story on your cover.

Already doing that, my man

Not sure what you're referring to... "Cover"?

JackRipper

I'd rather not desecrate the quality of the image with the title of my story. :trixieshiftright:

*shrug*

it's a good idea. More people should do that, but it's also an extra step in figuring out a cover art design that I sometimes can't bring myself to do.

Unfortunate sir. But please enjoy your freedom.

If you want to increase awareness or arrange some change or fix, this may not be the best place to ask.

gamexpert1990
Group Admin

On my story, the cover is the title. :rainbowwild:

I was unaware that was an issue. I, too, like to download and read on an ereader, though I haven't done that in long enough I didn't realize it was an issue. I'll be sure to edit my cover art appropriately from now on. :twilightsmile:

The cover art. The cover for your story. The art chosen specially for your fanfic. Your fimfic's cover.

So you're that ashamed of your work that you're afraid that you'll make the cover somehow lesser by directly connecting the text with your chosen image?

JackRipper

It has nothing to do with me being "ashamed" of my story. The image is suppose to captivate and immerse you. Often adding the title ruins said immersion. It's not that I'm against adding your title in the cover art, I just often see it done wrong. :trixieshiftright:

I do it when I commision an image for the story, but I have a really short story where I just picked something on Deviantart. It all depends how much time and effort went into the fic.

Also, you might want to look into what reader you're using. I use coolreader, and it shows me metadata.

6083767 Don't people put the title of their story in the actual text of the story though? I always put the title of the story on the text of the first page so it is pretty obvious that the story belongs to the title. :L

Finally! Some validation for why I put titles on most of my stories' cover arts!

That sounds more like a problem with the reading device than anything wrong with the stories. Is there seriously not some option to get it to display the titles also or instead of the cover images?

Literally only one of your stories has the title on the cover. Pots and kettles, homie :applejackunsure:

Yes. I'm not a big writer. I'm not an artist. I have to do a commission if I want to follow my own advice. I am not made of money. But you'll notice that the only story I have that's more than one chapter long has the title on the cover.

If I was an artist, I would be able to follow my own advice.

If I was an artist, I would be able to follow my own advice.

So... you assume every other author on here is also an artist? Or you expect them all to pay commissions for cover images?

No. This post was a plea; if you can do it, please do. If you can't, I don't blame you. I'll still read your stories. I'll just be very frustrated as I do so.

Do you think being a more successful author of fanfiction actually pays money? All authors who aren’t also artists have to commission their covers, and many also don’t have a lot of money. If they do, it’s from their jobs/other life circumstances, not because they’re more successful at fanfiction.

When available, it is often nice to have the title on the artwork. It can make for a more professional book-like look, which a lot of us like. Sometimes, authors choose not to because they prefer it that way, which is their decision as the creator of the content. More often than not, though, it’s because they can’t do anything better than slapping a title on a picture that was never meant to have one (and so doesn’t have room for one to fit in and look nice), which looks pretty ugly.

The reader I use doesn't show the covers, it just shows the titles, I didn't even know the covers were included in the epub versions.

Do you think being a more successful author of fanfiction actually pays money?

Well... Not a lot of money. :derpytongue2:

Why not find the story you want to read at home, download it, and remember what it looks like?

Because I have hundreds of books downloaded at a time.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 24