The Writers' Group 9,300 members · 56,491 stories
Comments ( 43 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 43

Soaring is trying to think of a witty introduction to this thread post, but the only thing that comes to his mind is Hitler's fifty shades of grey hairline, and a turtle playing the trombone.

[Sorry, being witty isn't my job, that's Syeekoh's job.] He's a great guy.

Anyway, here is the discussion thread post for Party Pooped (Episode 11). Don't bother shoving other discussion thread posts in because this one is early so we can have pre-discussion, while-it's-being-aired discussion, and post-episode discussion!

>Holy moly that's a lot of discussion.

So, let's do that here. If you enter this thread, be prepared for spoilers. You have been warned.

Now let's fart confetti.

O_O

Julia #2 · Jun 27th, 2015 · · 11 ·

first

4500874 looks like the episode will be good.

4500874 What? Has it aired early or something?

I'm starting to post these early because I can't get them on time anymore. Better to be early to the party then be arriving twenty minutes late, am I right?

I hope so.

No, Who is on first, What is on second, and I Don't Know is on third.

Home base.

4500905 Okay. I feel better now. You scared for a second. :applejackconfused:

Guess I'll be back tomorrow or whenever I see it.

So, wait, the episode is tomorrow? I thought Tomorrow was pitching?

Unless I'm missing something, the episode is definitely tomorrow.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Was this the one with Yaks in it?

--Sweetie Belle

A Pinkie episode?

Yaaaaaay... :pinkiesick:

Luminary
Group Contributor

The moment when the Yaks declared war was the happiest moment of my life. Because it meant they'd be wiped out.

But then they made peace and I was sad.

But then Bons and Lyra had that adorable flower moment, and I was happy again.

Then I had to wait another week for a pony episode and I was sad.

It's hard to rate this episode really.

Pinkie's moments were excellent, I had no doubt about that (I am biased though, obviously). And it was really interested to see her 'party cave'. It expanded her character even further and shows she's actually capable of some neat organisation, almost on Twilight's level.

Speaking of Twilight... I'm actually starting to dislike her more than Fluttershy. Fluttershy had great moments this episode. Twilight...

All she did was bitch and moan about 'muh Celestia'. Normally it's endearing but I think that's because she was actually doing something herself. Here all she did was... exist. That's all she did. Be a Princess. Her friends did all the work and Pinkie most of all.

And then Celestia gives Twilight and all the Mane 6 the credit. Yeah, it's not like Pinkie travelled across the whole of Equestria to prevent a war or anything.

Epsilon-Delta
Group Admin

The Yaks were clearly asking for a war in this one. I mean, they immediately started attacked! I don't know who would blame Twilight for any of this.

I kind of wish they didn't make peace with the Yaks. Could have fought them in another episode or something.

Epsilon-Delta
Group Admin

This is like the second war Pinkie Pie prevented too. She should totally get promoted to alicorn, or at least pegasus (or preferably bat pony).

Of course, once Pinkie was a princess...

I wouldn't be surprised if she was. She's basically the franchise's mascot at this point. (You see her ALL the time on promotional material.)

Man I loved this episode.

Lets start by talking about the Yaks. I think what I loved about them was that, not only did they make me think of vikings, but the Odifferans from Aladdin. I loved thier little running gag and Gary Chalk was awesome as always.

I also loved Twilight in this. Once again, we see that being a princess hasn't really affected her parnoia or her desire to be perfect. She still feels like she has a lot to live up to, even though she took down god. She also still sees her friends as more importnt, putting them in charge. Once again, Twilight and the others show themselves to be "knights of the round" with Twilight as the king Auther...only without the incest. Wich brings me to my next point.

I like how they translated "Diplomacy" to "Friendship." I mean, they are alike, and it is something that the kids can understand for future use, I also love how we get to see Twilight trying her hoof at it, and just how she goes about doing it.

But, I think the best part was...Pinkie Pie. I loved everything about her. Wether it being that she is actually organized enough to keep all of the dat on her friends (To Batman Levels. It also serves to remind me that she has a photographic memory) or just the fact that she will go to any legnth to make a pony or yak feel at home. My favorite part of her journey wasn;t facing the monster, but her montage. Minly bcause...BEATLES!!! I loved that Beatles reference and the fact tht she is Ringo Starr.

In short, awesome Pinkie eppie is awesome

Epsilon-Delta
Group Admin

It's kind of strange, but this is the one time I want Hasbro to ruin everything with their meddling. I secretly want alicorn Pinkie and their belief that princesses are more marketable is the most likely thing to make it happen.

As much as I'd love Princess Pinkie, it'd probably make fans of all the other Mane 6 feel a bit rejected and buttmad.

Okay I'd love to see their tears.

I'm not cruel enough to see it at the expense of the other Mane 6 though.

Overall, I'll take what I got.

But man...I was really expecting more. I thought I was going to get some serious character development from Pinkie. The problem was that the episode had to balance the journey with the Mane Five's sheer incompetence with appeasing these yaks. As a result, said development barely had room to squeeze itself in.

What development am I talking about? We could have seen Pinkie become burnt out and going on this journey to not only get Yayyakistani relics but also to gain inspiration from the different characters she encounters. She could have been seen doubting her ability to succeed in her mission. She could have learned that she doesn't need to copy Yayyakistani culture once in Yayyakistan, not after coming back home. I feel that this could have been worked in had the entire speel about Twilight pleasing Celestia had been cut (Although that is important, it honestly could have been saved for another episode).

Like I said, I did like the reveal of her own party room and I will commend the episode for at least acknowledging the fact that Pinkie is an organized, hard-working party pony. I also realize that my expectations may have been set a little too high. This is just my initial opinion.

What development am I talking about? We could have seen Pinkie become burnt out and going on this journey to not only get Yayyakistani relics but also to gain inspiration from the different characters she encounters. She could have been seen doubting her ability to succeed in her mission. She could have learned that she doesn't need to copy Yayyakistani culture once in Yayyakistan, not after coming back home. I feel that this could have been worked in had the entire speel about Twilight pleasing Celestia had been cut (Although that is important, it honestly could have been saved for another episode).

Yeah, that would be fitting... in a two hour movie. Not a twenty minute cartoon. Any attempt at that would be rushed as all hell in a single episode.

Oh God. The same writer is going to be in charge of the upcoming Pie family episode.

I'm not worried about Pinkie, he can clearly handle her well but the others... if they're written as badly and one-note-joke-like as the yaks I might just die.

4502467 I think Pinkie is a stealth alicorn princess. Her horn and wings simply aren't perceptible to the eyes of the mundane pony.

4500874 I really enjoyed this episode. I think my favorite bit was yet another glimpse at Pinkie's competence: the files, the stash, the organization. I love it when she is the party pony genius.

Yes, I was sort of disappointed not to get a glimpse of Cheese Sandwich, but it's better that he wasn't there. I wouldn't have liked it if he had to "save the day" from under Pinkie's hooves. Somewhere out there he wanders, knowing in his guts that Sensei is his superior and that whatever it is, she has it under control.

The Yaks were truly awful, and I'm assuming they were meant to be like Mongol hordes. I expected the moral to be something like "don't try to imitate what they have back home." It was Twilight's research into what they HAD to do that wasn't helpful, but she's an expert on research, not parties.

As for "Twilight didn't do anything": presumably she was going to try to set up a treaty later. I think it's good that she knows her limitations. And Celestia didn't save the day because she delegates things . . . and mostly, they've never disappointed her.

Also, everypony loves Pinkie: Griffon statues, Yak royalty. . . because she is so friendly and huggable. This is why she is Best Pony. It's an incontrovertible fact.

I think Pinkie is a stealth alicorn princess. Her horn and wings simply aren't perceptible to the eyes of the mundane pony.

Who needs wings when you got the power to be as powerful as an alicorn without even trying. That, and who needs wings when you are member of the Beatles.

Of course, I just loved wtching OCD Twilight t work. She knows her limits, she isn't Pinkie so she knows that her ability is far more useful

4502510 I share that concern as well. Maud's a bit tough to screw up, since she largely has her dry humor. But Pinkie's parents could be troublesome.

4500874 My sister and and could not stop saying yak jokes during the episode. Okay, we did when the yaks got violent... geez, everypony was walking on eggshells around them. :rainbowderp:

4502517 I admit, I was disappointed by no Cheese Sandwich as well. But, hey, Pinkie's a main character, and she's gotta solve the problem on her own. Besides, we've got the Cheese headcanons to keep us occupied, am I right? And writing Cheese stories is fuuuuunnnn..... :rainbowkiss:

I personally loved the silly Beatles reference, the baby yak (IT WAS SO CUTE), and the mention of Pinkie planning the 50th, 100th, and 500th anniversaries of her parents (even if they haven't reached their 50th yet). That last one I especially thought was sweet. :twilightsmile:

Epsilon-Delta
Group Admin

My sister and and could not stop saying yak jokes during the episode. Okay, we did when the yaks got violent

So you stoped like 10 seconds into the episode.:rainbowderp:

4502622 Our jokes are lame anyway.

Best part of the episode:

The Wonderbolts finally got to save the day on-screen, albeit in a montage, but still! :pinkiehappy:
I'll admit, given how I've always liked the Wonderbolts, this part made me squee like a fangirl. :twilightsheepish:

As for the rest of the episode, it was okay. Some parts were fun while others fell flat. It was interesting to see Twilight Sparkle so nervous again. And considering how the yaks behaved, I guess her fear was justified in a sense. The episode did get rather strange at some points as well, for better or worse depending on the context. However, Pinkie Pie was wonderful in this episode, and I like how she was handled in her scenes and how she showed why she's the best party pony. :pinkiesmile:

4500874 Got to see it now. It was....an okay episode. Liked seeing a return of crazy, nervous, OCD Twilight. The Mongolian Yaks were pretty funny. I think I detected another reference to Looney Tunes when Pinkie was in the snow, Bugs Bunny digging and his ears are all you see and they seem sentient. And I liked the party cave. But in the end. Nothing really about the episode jumped out as great. A bit of a why we love Pinkie Pie and we get to know more about the world. But it really didn't seem to add much. It was just...there. I didn't hate it. But I didn't love it either. It was...meh.

Oh well. To the party cave!

HapHazred
Group Admin

And that's a second time I've outright enjoyed Pinkie in an episode. I must be going soft.

But damn if those aren't some rude yaks. Wrecking homes and cakes without a care in the world. I love them. Reminds me of me old dad.

Of course, I saw the moral coming a mile away, but that doesn't make it any less important or worthwhile. And I enjoyed seeing Twilight go neurotic again. Proper neurotic, that is. But the star of the episode was definitely Pinkie, which isn't something I'd usually say, her being possibly my least favourite, despite her having an excellent character. Here she was awesome. I hope keeps being as entertaining.

Didn't care for it. This might be the first Pinkie-centric episode I've really disliked, because while all the other episodes that focus on Pinkie have some element of "Oh, wow, she's not just totes random the whole time, there's a real character with emotions and depth there" happening, this took her status as a cartoon character and cranked it up to eleven, and while you get a bunch of neat gags out of doing that it waters down what it feels like the episode was actually trying to do. Like a lot of the episodes that aren't my favourite, I think this one would have benefited from more focus on either of the morals (show off your culture to visitors rather than imitate theirs or Pinkie busts her ass to do what she does, let's appreciate that a little bit) and dropping the other one or giving it its own episode or whatever.

Lyra/Bon Bon OTP, though, so there is that.

I MUST WRITE THAT NOWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

Overall thoughts on the episode though? It was good, certainly better then LAST weeks episode. But it was far from the best Pinkie Pie episode, it was decent and reminded me that new writers can do a good job.. Even if they were the creator of Shorty McShort Shorts like this episodes was.

I loved the yaks. They're a perfect analogy of the overly critical and unpleasable fans who do nothing but complain when a new episode comes out because it's not up to their standards, it's all gotta be on their terms and even when the show does a decent tribute to the fans like Slice of Life, it's met with s:yay:tstorms and flame wars from these people.

4500874 I quite liked it! Culture conflict, worldbuilding, Pinkie-building, and we've practically confirmed that the yaks enchant their sleds with anti-friction!:rainbowlaugh:

--arcum42

Fun fact: Cloudchaser apparently is either already a Wonderbolt, or very close to it. Suck it, Rainbow Dash...

Btw, after the whole basement thing and "Pinkie keeps a file of every pony in Ponyville", no one can convince me that the writers didn't read Cupcakes. Especially since it was Rainbow Dash who found that basement the coolest.

Btw, have you noticed that right after Lyra and Bon Bon flower scene, we had a shot of Berry Punch drinking again? I'm not sure what it was, but it was green and she had a whole washtub of it.

I have to say, this episode is hilarious.

Seriously, this is probably the funniest MLP episode I have ever seen.

4500874 Party Pooped was a very funny episode. Princess Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie almost went Lesson Zero and Party Of One crazy. I guess that Princess Twilight Sparkle would freak out if someone read her "Quesadillas is love Quesadillas is life" and she would have been defeated by Sonata Dusk if she was armed with a Quesadilla. I just love that Pinkie Pie made the same face that she had from Smile HD :pinkiehappy: And that her Cupcakes dungeon in the Cakes basement is Canon :pinkiecrazy:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 43